Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout Online: Court Rules That Rights Belong to Bethesda

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

"Thats kind of the point, right?"

NO.  The point was to protect what is now their IP from being released as a really crummy MMO with the Fallout name on it :p

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Also for anyone interested in this suit and more on Bethesda, theres an amazing series of 'All Your History Are Belong to Us' on Bethesda... Search for it on youtube!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Well I'm glad its all over and Bethesda won the rights, even if I cannot pronounce their name :p

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

wait i thought the court ruled in interplays favor a few months back... meh wonder how they will go about this... are they going to make it a decent game or screw it over badly xD

guess we will see when Closed betas are going about :P

I am confused, why do you guys think there will be a FO MMO?  The primary chance of one just got shot down in a lawsuit.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I am confused, why do you guys think there will be a FO MMO?  The primary chance of one just got shot down in a lawsuit.

And even if Bethesda did decide to make one, how many years would it take for it to see the light of day? Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not seeing waiting half a decade for a game to be worth it any more.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

People seem to be getting their hopes up that this means an FO MMO, and you really shouldn't. It could happen, I suppose, but Bethesda is pretty well-known for their anti-MMO stance.

My understanding is this started because Interplay was granted the rights to FO and Bethesda felt they didn't live up to the standard of the IP, and this all happened just as the FO MMO was announced. Is that really a coincidence? Doubt it. 

It seems far more likely Bethesda took back the IP just so that could make sure an FO MMO never came to be. You'll probably see FO 4 long before you see an MMO, and that's probably for the best.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

People seem to be getting their hopes up that this means an FO MMO, and you really shouldn't. It could happen, I suppose, but Bethesda is pretty well-known for their anti-MMO stance.

My understanding is this started because Interplay was granted the rights to FO and Bethesda felt they didn't live up to the standard of the IP, and this all happened just as the FO MMO was announced. Is that really a coincidence? Doubt it. 

It seems far more likely Bethesda took back the IP just so that could make sure an FO MMO never came to be. You'll probably see FO 4 long before you see an MMO, and that's probably for the best.

Meh, yeah I can admit to being hopeful. What you guys seem to forget is this.........

Welcome to ZeniMax Online Studios! 

We create world-class massively multi-player online games at our headquarters in Hunt Valley, Maryland. 

ZeniMax Online is a part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes Bethesda Softworks, makers of the best-selling, award-winning Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3. 

And this 

"While we strongly believe in the merits of our suits, we are pleased to avoid the distraction and expense of litigation while completely resolving all claims to the Fallout IP," said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax on Monday. "Fallout is an important property of ZeniMax and we are now able to develop future Fallout titles for our fans without third party involvement or the overhang of others' legal claims."

Keep in mind that the only IP development rights Interplay had were for the FO MMO. ZeniMax is now able to develop future FO titles without third party involvement or the overhang of others' legal claims (Little paraphrasing there but you get the gist)........... considering Bethesda had all other rights to the development of the IP that really only leaves one thing they could be reffering to and it was the only thing this lawsuit was about. 

So yes, I am hopeful that we will see an FO MMO. Is it unreasonable? No. Is it unlikely? It's as unlikely as it is likely honestly. 

Little more to show why people have reason to hope :P 

Who are you guys? 

We're the best kept secret in the gaming industry… But, seriously, we're the online game development studio of ZeniMax Media, who also owns Bethesda Softworks. So think of us as the multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks. 

Our President was one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment and was the producer of Dark Age of Camelot and lots of other titles there. Our team is made of many other people who worked at Mythic, as well as NCsoft, Firaxis, Sony Online, EA, and Bethesda Softworks. ZeniMax Online's staff had leadership roles on popular MMOGs like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, Ultima Online, and The Sims Online. 

Suffice it to say, we are very experienced and are looking forward to making the best MMOGs possible.

But Bethesda is anti Multiplayer and Anti MMO right?

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by Tardcore

And even if Bethesda did decide to make one, how many years would it take for it to see the light of day? Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not seeing waiting half a decade for a game to be worth it any more.

All those who wait shall receive free cookies (and a Pip-Boy of Awesomeness).  Just saying.  ;)

pie.

Originally posted by mudd4ever

Originally posted by Tardcore

All those who wait shall receive free cookies (and a Pip-Boy of Awesomeness).  Just saying.  ;)

I want one with Android 4.0 lol.....

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

I personally have great memories of playing fallout 1 2 and tactics when i was young best games ever. played them over and over...when i heard of fallout 3 i was excited...then i found out it was a FPS....needless to say i was dissapointed....shur its a good game but i was excited to see my old classic fallout gameplay back in action..why coudnt they just update the graphics like diablo 3? they ruined a good think fallout 1 and 2 got such good reviews...and wasnt interplay the ppl who created fallout? shoudnt they have the rights?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Meh, yeah I can admit to being hopeful. What you guys seem to forget is this.........

We create world-class massively multi-player online games at our headquarters in Hunt Valley, Maryland. 

ZeniMax Online is a part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes Bethesda Softworks, makers of the best-selling, award-winning Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3. 

And this 

"While we strongly believe in the merits of our suits, we are pleased to avoid the distraction and expense of litigation while completely resolving all claims to the Fallout IP," said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax on Monday. "Fallout is an important property of ZeniMax and we are now able to develop future Fallout titles for our fans without third party involvement or the overhang of others' legal claims."

Keep in mind that the only IP development rights Interplay had were for the FO MMO. ZeniMax is now able to develop future FO titles without third party involvement or the overhang of others' legal claims (Little paraphrasing there but you get the gist)........... considering Bethesda had all other rights to the development of the IP that really only leaves one thing they could be reffering to and it was the only thing this lawsuit was about. 

So yes, I am hopeful that we will see an FO MMO. Is it unreasonable? No. Is it unlikely? It's as unlikely as it is likely honestly. 

Who are you guys? 

We're the best kept secret in the gaming industry… But, seriously, we're the online game development studio of ZeniMax Media, who also owns Bethesda Softworks. So think of us as the multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks. 

Our President was one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment and was the producer of Dark Age of Camelot and lots of other titles there. Our team is made of many other people who worked at Mythic, as well as NCsoft, Firaxis, Sony Online, EA, and Bethesda Softworks. ZeniMax Online's staff had leadership roles on popular MMOGs like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, Ultima Online, and The Sims Online. 

Suffice it to say, we are very experienced and are looking forward to making the best MMOGs possible.

Bethesda is a subsidiary of Zenimax, that doesn't mean they agree to everything Zenimax is about. Bethesda on their own have made their stance on both MMOs and social media clear:

"I'm not really an MMO guy," the Skyrim director said, speaking with Joystiq.  "I respect them, I look at them, but I don't play them.  It feels more real to me when I’m the hero and it’s crafted for that.  A community aspect to it, I recognize a lot of people would want that in a game like this, but it changes the flavor for me." 

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/todd-howard-on-skyrims-worthwhile-glitches-mmos-and-when-big-i/

That the company behind them wants an MMO doesn't necessarily mean Bethesda's going to give in, if that were the case you'd have seen an Elder Scrolls MMO a long time ago. People have been hounding Bethesda for one for years now, and the closest you're likely to get for even more years is Skyrim with the multiplayer Mod someone is developing. Also, Zenimax offered that it was now able to produce future titles, they didn't say they would be MMOs. This could just as easily mean they don't want their IP soiled with a badly done MMO and have future single-player games, which they make TONS of money on, go downhill with that reputation.

So, no, none of what you posted seems to indicate otherwise. I don't mean to piss in your cheerios, I think if they could create an MMO with the same open feel and interesting gameplay as their single player games I'd be one of the first in line to get it, my point is only to avoid getting hopes up and simply wait. That they didn't want someone else have their way with ~their~ IP doesn't necessarily mean they had any ideas of their own at the moment, either.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

And this 

Who are you guys? 

Bethesda is a subsidiary of Zenimax, that doesn't mean they agree to everything Zenimax is about. Bethesda on their own have made their stance on both MMOs and social media clear:

"I'm not really an MMO guy," the Skyrim director said, speaking with Joystiq.  "I respect them, I look at them, but I don't play them.  It feels more real to me when I’m the hero and it’s crafted for that.  A community aspect to it, I recognize a lot of people would want that in a game like this, but it changes the flavor for me." 

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/todd-howard-on-skyrims-worthwhile-glitches-mmos-and-when-big-i/

That the company behind them wants an MMO doesn't necessarily mean Bethesda's going to give in, if that were the case you'd have seen an Elder Scrolls MMO a long time ago. People have been hounding Bethesda for one for years now, and the closest you're likely to get for even more years is Skyrim with the multiplayer Mod someone is developing. Also, Zenimax offered that it was now able to produce future titles, they didn't say they would be MMOs. This could just as easily mean they don't want their IP soiled with a badly done MMO and have future single-player games, which they make TONS of money on, go downhill with that reputation.

So, no, none of what you posted seems to indicate otherwise. I don't mean to piss in your cheerios, I think if they could create an MMO with the same open feel and interesting gameplay as their single player games I'd be one of the first in line to get it, my point is only to avoid getting hopes up and simply wait. That they didn't want someone else have their way with ~their~ IP doesn't necessarily mean they had any ideas of their own at the moment, either.

lol, feel free to think you pissed in my cheerios all you want. I pointed to simple facts and you counter you just don't think they will. 

I'm not saying its a sure thing, I'm saying it's just as likely to happen as it is not. Bethesda Soft is actually owned by ZeniMax and since you seem to refuse to read the links in full here's the part you don't seem to want to read.........

How exactly are you related to Bethesda Softworks again? 

ZeniMax Media owns both Bethesda Softworks as well as ZeniMax Online Studios. Bethesda makes AAA console-oriented titles, and ZeniMax Online (us!) makes MMOGs. Because we are all inside the same corporate structure, we share IP and because our offices are only about an hour apart, we can work closely with Bethesda's staff. 

Argue all you want, but the FACTS say it's as likely as it is unlikely regardless if you feel different or not. 

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Scypheroth

I personally have great memories of playing fallout 1 2 and tactics when i was young best games ever. played them over and over...when i heard of fallout 3 i was excited...then i found out it was a FPS....needless to say i was dissapointed....shur its a good game but i was excited to see my old classic fallout gameplay back in action..why coudnt they just update the graphics like diablo 3? they ruined a good think fallout 1 and 2 got such good reviews...and wasnt interplay the ppl who created fallout? shoudnt they have the rights?

You know what other fallout game got good reviews? FO3, not only that it did so with much more competition.

Its always funny people complain about companies not doing anything different, then they complain that they should just update the graphics on the same ideas.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Anyone that is against decision should understand few facts

1. Nobody that worked on Fallout and Wasteland games doesnt work for Interplay anymore (and for many years now) - They all work at Obsidian (The guys that made FNV)

2. Interplay is not developer anymore, its just a poor company that wants the Fallout MMO rights in order to sell them to highest bidder

3. Bethesda will probably never make MMO - and who can blame them in this MMO failure atmosphere. But if they would , they are only ones that could make it good

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Only if the guys at obsidian (the original devs) worked on FO, then it'll be good. If it is only bethesda, i'm afraid it'll be another skyrim with guns (lol it used to be oblivion with guns).

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by yaminsux

Only if the guys at obsidian (the original devs) worked on FO, then it'll be good. If it is only bethesda, i'm afraid it'll be another skyrim with guns (lol it used to be oblivion with guns).

The original devs of Fallout 1 and 2 ARE NOT IN OBSIDIAN. The original creators of Fallout 1 and 2 are Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson. After Black Isle they went to create TROIKA GAMES. After TROIKA GAMES they split and are working on separate projects, HOWEVER NONE of them WENT TO OBSIDIAN. Stop spreading lies.

REALITY CHECK

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Wow... this is such bad news. Time to put bethesda on black list now...

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Lobotomist

3. Bethesda will probably never make MMO - and who can blame them in this MMO failure atmosphere. But if they would , they are only ones that could make it good

Expanding on this Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are two of Bethesda's top selling games only being beat out by the recent Skyrim.

The most successful gaming model right now is to release a full game for a high price and then release multiple DLCs.  I think New Vegas had 8 DLCs all roughly $10.  There gas been a long time suspicion that the next Fallout game is Fallout: New Vegas 2.

If a Fallout MMO is made that means the end of single player Fallout games.  I'm sure tones of money could be made on a Fallout MMO, but realistically most MMOs that come out boom for a couple of months and then they faulter.  Why not get 4x the sales on a single player game and just release DLCs instead of a subscription.

Sounds smart to me.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Thillian

The original devs of Fallout 1 and 2 ARE NOT IN OBSIDIAN. The original creators of Fallout 1 and 2 are Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson. After Black Isle they went to create TROIKA GAMES. After TROIKA GAMES they split and are working on separate projects, HOWEVER NONE of them WENT TO OBSIDIAN. Stop spreading lies.

Just out of curiosity. Do you have any info where they are working atm? They still in gaming industry?

-------------

As for OP topic.

While I would prefer Interplay (well BlackIsle one would be best though they don't exist anymore :cry )approach, Interplay don't have brains and first of all MONEY to create decent mmorpg imho.

Seriously they wanted to cooperate with creators of Earthrise to do Fallout MMO.

Anyone who played Earthrise know what fail this game was. (well game concept was ok ,but realisation was pathetic)

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Worst news of the week.

Current Bethesda is as bad as EAware an Actiblizzard. 

I don't want Oblivion/Skyrim:Postapocalyptic Version MMO.  Fallout Three was as far away from fallout feel as possible...

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Ever-AngelEver-Angel Member Posts: 46

well at least we still have fallout 2 to remember.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Yuui

Worst news of the week.

Current Bethesda is as bad as EAware an Actiblizzard. 

I don't want Oblivion/Skyrim:Postapocalyptic Version MMO.  Fallout Three was as far away from fallout feel as possible...

Why, because it wasnt 2d? cry some more.

Originally posted by bingo69

Wow... this is such bad news. Time to put bethesda on black list now...

put them on teh blacklist for not sitting back and taking it up the butt while interplay tyried to screw them over on teh license bethesda owns? great logic.

Originally posted by Thillian

So in other words you think that a game only takes 3 people to develop, time to get a reality check.

Black Isles was disbanded and formed Obsidian, whether those 3 people left beforehand is irrelevent, as the rest of the team is at obsidian, so maybe you should fact chekc before calling other people liars.

unless somehow they dont count as developing the game for whatever reason youll probably try to make up.

Originally posted by Ever-Angel

well at least we still have fallout 2 to remember.

you say that as if the fallout mmo was going to even be decent, apparently you missed what interplay did with fallout.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Lobotomist

What? Zenimax have had a MMO department for 4 years now lead by one of the creators of DaoC.

It was in fact one of the top MMORPG.com predictions of the year that they will show us the game this year.

• bilbonbonbilbonbon Member Posts: 10

I won't blame Bethesda for beeing a bigger capitalist ogre than Interplay.

Honnestly i wish i could see a Fallout online, because i really liked Fallout 1 and 2 universe

Ok i continue with Fallen Earth then...