Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Should never be released

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I don't think GW2 is anywhere close to be my hero. I'm more looking for an rp centric sandbox, that's my weak point, and what mmorpg should ultimately be about imo. Man that would be like a train back into a better childhood, anyone want to do that?

But i'll be very glad to have a good pvp centric mmo. Having access to fps like experience in my daily mmo (i'm thinking about hopping in and out of a fps dedicated maps with scaled toons), miami, that just alone sound awesome.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

i feel GW2 as 99% of my hero, this way il always have 1% left if it fails XD

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

'It is impossible for this game to live up to the hype it has generated.'

quite often i do indeed agree with this statement... but not always.

with skyrim i realised that it depends on what kind of hype do you build up.

if devs are promising features that might not be in the final product... then people can get disappointed.

however if they deliver everything they promised... how can that game not live up to the hype?

thats why i mentioned skyrim - it wasnt a perfect game, but everything devs said on videos was seen in the game, no lies at all. there wasnt a reason to expect more and thats why it was great.

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Savageone

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Savageone

Originally posted by Unlight

And in the meantime we have to settle for schlock like SWTOR?  No thanks.  Give me the game and let the needy find another MMO messiah to pine for.

And when GW2 comes out, all the haters will trash it just like they did RIFT, SWTOR....etc......

nothing new, move along

Probably.  But it's not what you think.

There will inevitably be a group of people that don't like GW2...I'm pretty much sure of this.  I mean, we already know there are folks that are mad there are no raids in GW2, or that there is fast travel, so the game isn't going to appeal to every single person.

Some of these people will likely come to the forums and start to trash the game.  So I can't disagree, there will be trashing of this game when it is released.

The flaw in your reasoning is when you say "the haters."  There seems to be this belief that there is a group of roving MMORPG marauders (the haters) that are dissatisfied with any MMORPG and make it their mission in life to trash every MMORPG that comes out.

I really don't think that's the case.  Most folks here that are psyched about the game will probably like it in my estimation.  And a lot of these folks are probably psyched for GW2 because they are looking for something different.  So you may see them "hating" on current games that give more of the same.  This does not mean they are a "hater" destined to never be satisified and cursed with hating on every game that will ever come out.

There will be individuals that don't like GW2, but that's all they are...individuals.

Take a note of all the folks you see on here that are psyched for GW2 but are "haters" of other games.  I doubt that you will see most of them come back and trash GW2.

Maybe so, but I have yet to see a game released where the masses loved it .

There are certainly going to be people who hate and bash every single game that ever comes out, though obviously not the same group of people for every game.  For much the same reason, you cannot generalize the term "the masses."  There will always be some people who hate the game, and a great many people who love it.  Of course, occasionally a game is so bad that only a few people enjoy it while a great many people hate it.  

But if you were to only use forums such as these (read: the opinions of an extremely passionate vocal minority) as your measuring stick for how good a game is, you're certainly liable to believe that virtually every game is terrible.  

I never go by what is said on any forum. I make up my own mind.

:)

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Enosh

I cut it out because it had nothing to do with my post

my point was that the gw2 community is hostile towards other MMOs (mostly wow and those based on it) beyond what was seen in the gw1 community, the quality of gw2 has nothing to do with this, one can see the quality in a game and not bash another game, I dislike minecraft and tf2, I don't mention them when I talk about MW3 or Skyrim, games that I do like

there is this sense of "we are better gamers because we will play gw2 and not wow" in the gw2 community that I really dislike, just like I dislike elitist attitudes in other gaming communities

Your point isn't really insightful however, as a great many people are hostile towards that which doesn't fit their particular views or likes.  In general, in life.  ;)

I played Asheron's Call 2 for a couple of years.  Had a blast, made a lot of friends, in spite of class balance issues.  Time moved on, AC2 didn't, it got closed down.

I was hunting critters in WoW years later when I bumped into someone hunting too.  I pulled some mobs off him, we struck up a short chat convo.  He mentioned some previous games he had played, I mentioned my first MMO had been AC2 . . .

. . . at which point he instantly turned HOSTILE and hits me with a chat stating something like "AC2 sucked you *(#_", along with a couple of other short, snarky comments.  All I said back before moving on is "LOL, I didn't make the game, I just played it.  Why are you made at me?"

Seeing enthusiasm for an upcoming title is a GOOD thing.  It's OK.  It's not necessarily synonymous with "elitism".  People will be wierd about what they like or dislike sometimes, simply because it's human nature. (more so for some than others at times, heh-heh).

The trick is to keep your head up, let that all pass you by, and look forward to something if it seems to suite you, without undue influence by those prone to extreme reactions, either positive or negative. 

That's why I don't care for this thread, because it's premise is simply a silly, over reactive, negative OP post . . . based on nothing.  The game isn't even released yet.

Or, as Savageone just said: 

I never go by what is said on any forum. I make up my own mind.

:) 

Wherever you go, there you are.

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

I think something can be said about the storyline aspect of this game, rather then the MMO component.

Sephastus claims that this game will never be great, because the reality of MMOs will set in and it will end up just like all the others. Might I bring another viewpoint to the table, in that this game isn't just about the MMO aspect?

One of the things that really pulled me into this game, besides WvWvW and the fact that its the sequel to one of my favorite MMOs, is that each character is going to have a story, each character is going to be able to move through the storyline while simultaneously building their character. Hell, with the way it looks, you might even be able to pick up this game as a "singleplayer" game, and play it purely for story purposes, and just have "the other players" be the background life of the game. I love the storyline of Guild Wars, I love the way you progressed through it as well, and I absolutely love the soundtrack for Guild Wars. Those three things alone, if they make a comeback in Guild Wars 2, I would be happy with just that. Hell if GW2 was only that, I would still play it. At this point, everything they have added to Guild Wars 2 is just icing on the cake.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Honestly, I don't get what the OP was trying to claim. A year ago I was all hyped out about another game that released this past month. That hype was built on the company pushing it out with "epic this" and "epic that" but when finally sat down to play it, it was anything but epic.

Now when I initially discovered GW2, trying to get info on the game was like pulling teeth. Then when videos of the gameplay started to appear, that's when I started getting excited. If anything, the hype is because it was such a diamond in the rough, that eventually, by exposure, began to shine on its own accord. Now after reading game info about things it will feature, I'm shocked that it even looks better than first thought. That other game, the opposite efffect is what happened. The more I saw, the more my excitement died.

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

Let them release it, if it is anything like GW1 it is crap anyway.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I said it many times before : Most MMOs are victims of its own long development time.

- By When development starts - MMO features are out of this world

- By time they announce they are working on it - MMO features are revolutionary

- By time they enter last 6 month of dev - MMO features are allready present in 1-2 games just released

- By time MMO is released - everyone is sick of those features allready and wants something new

Mind providing some examples?

I think it has to do with the game claims its going to have all these revolutionary features, and the features are cut or just poorly implemented.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

That's a ridiculously obtuse statement by Newman.  Heroes aren't heroes because they are perfect.  They are heroes because they rise when it matters.  The problem is the person who thinks they should be heroes every second of the day and are disappointed when they are not.

Likewise, the application of the quote to the game is obtuse.  The game will be what the game will be.  I want to find out the result of all the effort that Arenanet put into it, and I'm not afraid (lol) to find out that I don't like it.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

This games need to be released so folks can move on already!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Golelorn

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I said it many times before : Most MMOs are victims of its own long development time.

- By When development starts - MMO features are out of this world

- By time they announce they are working on it - MMO features are revolutionary

- By time they enter last 6 month of dev - MMO features are allready present in 1-2 games just released

- By time MMO is released - everyone is sick of those features allready and wants something new

Mind providing some examples?

I think it has to do with the game claims its going to have all these revolutionary features, and the features are cut or just poorly implemented.

Most MMOs take five years or more to make and what was really cool five years ago might not be so good now.

Take Rift, work on it started 2006. The game have all features that would have made it a giant in 2006. It is still a pretty good game but if it would have released 5 years earlier it would have had a lot more subscribers.

During those years people started to tire on many of the features, when worked started on Rift Wow had been out for 1 1/2 year and was still a rising star far from it's top rating. 2011 on the other hand was Wow old and many people were burnt out on it, Rifts similarities to Wow was the number one issue peoplewere complaining about.

Rift is just picked because it was the last example of this, a lot of the games with the misfortune of releasing just before and up to 2 years or so after Wow had the same problem.

Long development time do have it's ups and down, computer games are affected by trend and when you spend that long time on a game you can really mess up.

Rift was fortunatley very good in what it is doing and still did rather good, but I can't help thinking that if it released around the time when LOTRO released it would have 5 times as many subs.

We also seen many games that looked old already when they released due to the long devolpment time, Darkfall to mention one, it took extremely long time to make so the game looked dated when it released already.

But I guess it is a risk developers have to take, doing like Cryptic did with CO and STO and make the game in less than 2 years is a lot surer way to fail than making guesses what the marker will look like 5 years from now.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Slowdoves

This games need to be released so folks can move on already!

While I want it to release ASAP as well I don't think it matter if it is the fanbois that annoys you. If GW2 ain't what they hoped for they will just hype up another game instead.

GW2 is at least one of the few uphyped games that have an experienced and competent bunch of devs. Most of the games that have been hyped here have been made by people no one even heard off.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by melton80

Luckily for you, and the rest of the people who don't bother looking up anything about the game, in terms of game mechanics, Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are almost entirely different. They're not even in the same genre.

The only thing that remains the same is general design philosophy and the lore.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

How many times must this be said?

Those of us hyped for GW2 aren't hyped for a list of awesome features and screenshots and videos of guys saying buzzwards like 'magical'. But rather we are hyped because Arenanet releases videos, demonstrations of these features. They put them into demo's that thousands have played at two dozen conventions in the last 3 years.

Think back to like WAR and how hyped that was. Not what hyped people? Did they let you play the game at conventions? No they showed off demonstrations. If it wasn't a convention you saw once or twice a month Paul Barnett come out and spout a bunch of hyped up bullshit about how amazing his game was. He would release cool videos with presentations demonstrating what 'magical feature A would be like'. Then the game came out and we found out that A: half the supposed features werent in the game and B: the half that were SUCKED BALLS!

Now look ahead to Arenanet and Guild Wars 2. They only announced a feature when it is ready to be presented and played. Their videos of these features aren't cool powerpoint presentations with a dev spouting buzzwords, they were long videos showing off new areas, showing off in DETAIL these new mechanics, areas or features. Then they come to every new convention and let anyone attendion spend 3/4 of an hour just playing these new features or areas. Playing the new class, reporting on it's abilities and skills.

It's why there is a viable character builder avaiable with detailed information on classes, abilities, perks, you name it and why on this very forum there is a thread detailing everything we know (with solid FACT) about this game and it's 10k + words long.

This isn't hopeless hype based upon a feature list, high end screenshots and powerpoint presentations by the developers. It's hype based on FACT and what we know and what has been demonstrated and what many of us have PLAYED already. THAT is why this game is so very hyped.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by Serelisk

Luckily for you, and the rest of the people who don't bother looking up anything about the game, in terms of game mechanics, Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are almost entirely different. They're not even in the same genre.

Saying that 'if you didn't like GW1 then you'll like GW2 because it's nothing like it' is inaccurate. Instead you should say they should check it out even if they didn't like GW1 because it isn't the same game. It shares many similarities but so do EQ1 and EQ2, but they are far from the same game.

GW and GW22 share a lot actually. The locals, the lore, the story, the races, many of the same classes, many similar mechanics, a game built around freedom of choice, a game that doesn't try it's best to rip money out of your hands by forcing you into time sinks and money sinks, etc. GW2 has a legacy to follow. If people didn't like Guild Wars they should check out GW2 becaue it's not the same game. Those who did like Guild Wars should also check out GW2, because it's like the next big evolutionary leap just as GW was in many ways.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by bansan

They are heroes because they rise when it matters.

That's very nicely said.

So GW2 is our hero i guess? image

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Fion

Originally posted by Serelisk

Saying that 'if you didn't like GW1 then you'll like GW2 because it's nothing like it' is inaccurate. Instead you should say they should check it out even if they didn't like GW1 because it isn't the same game. It shares many similarities but so do EQ1 and EQ2, but they are far from the same game.

GW and GW22 share a lot actually. The locals, the lore, the story, the races, many of the same classes, many similar mechanics, a game built around freedom of choice, a game that doesn't try it's best to rip money out of your hands by forcing you into time sinks and money sinks, etc. GW2 has a legacy to follow. If people didn't like Guild Wars they should check out GW2 becaue it's not the same game. Those who did like Guild Wars should also check out GW2, because it's like the next big evolutionary leap just as GW was in many ways.

You're absolutely right. And I should've definitely been more elaborate in my description of the relationship between Guild Wars 1 and 2.

My post came off as mildly rash because I'm tired of those who dismiss the game without looking up anything about it. I'm also less friendly than others of the GW2 community on MMORPG.com, just as a general rule. I didn't mean to say that he'd like it as a result of it being dissimilar from the first game. I just figured that one inconsiderate and almost troll-worthy post deserved another.

Also... Guild Wars 22? Dang, lol...

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. To my fellow GW2 fans: I wouldn't waste another second of my time trying to sell the naysayer crowd on anything...ever. They are not willing to see any other viewpoint, other than their own. That's just my opinion, whether it be right or wrong.

To the naysayers: Not all GW2 fans are alike and it makes you look ignorant to lump everyone into just one "bunch". Not everyone is a zealous fanboi, ready to commit seppuku at the whim of ArenaNet, or in the event that GW2 does not live up to the hype. Yes, there are people like that, but not all GW2 fans are. Some of us are adults with realistic expectations. GW2 COULD live up to all the hype, it COULD fail miserably, or it COULD fall somewhere in-between. I'm buying a copy of the game because I have made an informed decision about it. I've seen the majority of the demos & videos, I've spoken with credible people who have actually PLAYED the demos (at gaming conventions) and liked it, and have read just about all of the FACTS that have been published about the game. I like what I have seen, heard, and read. Also, I'm only investing $60 U.S. on this game that I believe I will like. I'm not investing $60,000,000 in the futures market, where the price of my target commodity may suddenly change against my favor. It's just a game...not an investment. IF I do not find the game to be the least bit enjoyable, my life will go on and I'll find other games to play. It's that simple. I feel immese pity for you, and your crowd, if you can't believe any of this.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Lots of hate going around these days... as a SWTOR fan I hope GW2 does well because it really doesn't hurt anyone if it does.

Originally posted by Angier2758

Lots of hate going around these days... as a SWTOR fan I hope GW2 does well because it really doesn't hurt anyone if it does.

Sad, but true, Angier. Thank you, and I also wish you and SWTOR much success and lots of fun, for many years to come.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by VicDonnegan

Sad, but true, Angier. Thank you, and I also wish you and SWTOR much success and lots of fun, for many years to come.

Heheh...if I didn't know what SWTOR was before reading your post, I would thinking that Angier just married SWTOR :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by bansan
    They are heroes because they rise when it matters.
    That's very nicely said.

So GW2 is our hero i guess?

It would be so easy for this to go bad.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Heheh...if I didn't know what SWTOR was before reading your post, I would thinking that Angier just married SWTOR :).

Lol, good point, Cres. If you think about it, though, considering the amount of time we spend with our mmo's, they could almost be called "marriages". Some of the virtual ones outlast the real-life versions, sometimes.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Lol, good point, Cres. If you think about it, though, considering the amount of time we spend with our mmo's, they could almost be called "marriages". Some of the virtual ones outlast the real-life versions, sometimes.

But a game scorned will never go after your house, car, kids and income.

Well, at least I think it won't.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.