Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Razer SWTOR Headset Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the second of our hardware reviews for gear related to Star Wars: The Old Republic, we take a look at the SWTOR Razer Headset. See how well it does sending us the sounds of the SWTOR universe in our new review. What do you think? Let us know in the comments.

I’m not the technical wizard that Carolyn Koh is when it comes to headsets, but when I got my Razer SWTOR Gaming Headset in the mail (I really needed a new one aside from the one tethered to my Xbox 360 controller) I knew I was in love. It may look a little silly (unless you’re a Star Wars fan like me), and the cost may be a bit high, but the comfort and sheer fidelity of the sound to my ears was well worth looking dorky to my wife. Besides, once I’m in any game the 7.1 surround makes sure I can’t hear her laughter and poking jokes (note: my wife isn’t that cruel, she’s just being used for ‘t3h funn3h’ here). It’s not noise-cancelling, and it’s not endorsed by the MLG, but it’s comfortable, it sounds great and glows pretty colors. For my needs: it’s perfect, though it may not be for everyone.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Razer SWTOR Headset Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Enjoyed the review.. but the aesthetics? God this thing looks horrible o.o...

I guess its a matter of personal preference though, not to mention comfort/performance > looks

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Yeah, I actually love the way they look and glow. I love that they have the hexagonal shape to the phones. But I can see why some folks might be turned off by the gray and bulky nature. Honestly though, I don't play in front of a mirror, so they could look like molded poo as long as they sounded good and felt comfortable.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

They are hideous and no offence to Suzie as you even mention it yourself at the begining of the article your no Carolyn Koh who is about the only person on the planet I will take serious when reviewing headsets.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

TK-421, do you copy?

• vinillavinilla Member UncommonPosts: 24

Awesome, like everything else from Razer  ^_^

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by thamighty213

They are hideous and no offence to Suzie as you even mention it yourself at the begining of the article your no Carolyn Koh who is about the only person on the planet I will take serious when reviewing headsets.

Suzie didn't write the review, I did.  And that's really fine.  Carolyn will be doing more and more headset reviews for us in the future.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Nothing has even come close to my Tritton AX Pro's..

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

At least it's not princess style cinnamon buns. (aka the leia hairdon't)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Originally posted by Vyeth

Nothing has even come close to my Tritton AX Pro's..

Tritton AX 720's here and I love them. They do have a short now after a few years though so I need to get a different pair, just can't decide what to get. I wish there was a good wirelss option.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I need a new headset. These might just fit the bill. Also, I like that the mic looks like an antennae when in the upward position. Looks kinda like my Trooper did for a while.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Honestly, I was pretty stoked for a lot of the SWTOR Razer products, but this one just never looked like a good buy to me. I am VERY particular about headphones/headsets and I cannot wear them for an extensive period of time without them driving me nuts. These things looked pretty heavy so I took a pass.

I ended up going with a pair of Astro A40s w/ Mixamp and I can wear the things for hours! Ironically, I realized how awesome they were at a SWTOR event in April of last year when BioWare basically had us wearing the same cans for our entire two-day play session.  I was pretty surprised with how comfy they were and so I eventually picked up a pair during the Xmas shopping rush. :)

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

One day you folks will realize that a pair of headphones like the Denon D2000's or the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 with a good sound card like the Xonar Essence or the Titanium HD pretty much destroy these headsets in every aspect. Of course, they are more expensive, but they are well worth it if you consider sound to be of utmost importance to your overall enjoyment.

If the microphone is the deciding factor, just get a stand-alone, like the Logitech USB microphone.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by stealthbr

One day you folks will realize that a pair of headphones like the Denon D2000's or the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 with a good sound card like the Xonar Essence or the Titanium HD pretty much destroy these headsets in every aspect. Of course, they are more expensive, but they are well worth it if you consider sound to be of utmost importance to your overall enjoyment.

If the microphone is the deciding factor, just get a stand-alone, like the Logitech USB microphone.

I used a Zalman ZM-MIC1 clip on mic with a pair of Sennheiser HD555s for awhile, but I prefer the A40s for gaming now, honestly.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Originally posted by stealthbr

This !!!!!

And you don't need a killer setup like you said. I'm using a Creative X-Treme gamer Fatality Pro (old one) with a pair of JVC HA-RX700 and i'm sure this setup is better than any Razer/"Gamers" brand headset you will find out there. For the mic i use a usb logitech as well, very good indeed. 

Those headsets wont last 1 year or so... at some point the microfone will stop working or one of the speakers and you'll have to buy a new one.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Those are fugly headphones lol