Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give me 1 thing. that SWTOR Does 100% diffrent or new from any mmorpg every made

Curious, and i'm talking about a broad veiw i'm not looking for little things like light sabers i mean something completely new... that has never been done or created before.  And before u say voice over quests derp, every mmorpg now a days has a story   

Go?.

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Nykyrian

Curious, and i'm talking about a broad veiw i'm not looking for little things like light sabers i mean something completely new... that has never been done or created before.  And before u say voice over quests derp, every mmorpg now a days has a story   

Go?.

Just to reinforce the point that Nykyrian is making.

Nyk is talking about the tired argument that SWTOR does "Fully Voiced Questing". Well, MOST modern MMORPGs do that now in their main storylines so it's nothing new. The only thing SWTOR did was simply "extend" how much voiced questing is done in their game. NOTHING NEW!

However Nykyrian, I'd like to point out that NO ONE has ever claimed that SWTOR does anything new. It's just a rehersed fully voiced version of WoW set in the StarWars universe. NOTHING new, and has NEVER been claimed to be new.

Additionally, everyone I know who was "Raving" about SWTOR has now quit. So I'm not sure how well SWTOR will do by June.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Party dialogue choises. I think that's a mechanicsm not used in any MMO ever before.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by Naqaj

One thing that TOR does 100% new:

Drive haters to make really useless and increasingly stupid posts about how it's a bad game.

that's not new.

I agree that's not new. However, claiming he's a "hater" is biased, and people stuck in this simplistic way of labeling people in order to belittle them would put YOU into the "Rabid Fanboi" column.

I'd like to point out that I've NEVER seen anyone put into the "Gray" column of just wanting a decent game. I almost ALWAYS find that people whom are slightly NEGATIVE or slightly POSITIVE about a particular game are ONLY put into the "Hater" or "Fanboi" gamer groups.

Why don't we have one that is simply "Average Gamer"? Just because the OP does NOT like SWTOR doesn't mean he's a hater. It, quite simply, may be that he's tired of seeing hand-holding themepark games being the products advocated so much without any REAL evidence to show that they MAY in fact not be the "One Game to Rule them All".

[edit]: Fixed for clarification

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

I could liste a few things that I've never see in another mmorpg and ive played pretty much most of them. {mod edit}

Have a nice day

Originally posted by Vrika

Party dialogue choises. I think that's a mechanicsm not used in any MMO ever before.

Age of Conan touched on this with that Oriental expansion. You could choose a "Party Dialogue" choice depending on whom was in your party for that particular quest.

Bleh

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

It has a bug where it shrinks a certain NPC.

It doesn't let you search the Auction House unless you first give it a make and model.

What are you looking for?  It's a game.  The 8000000000 call of duties are hardly more innovative than the original Wolfenstein.  Either play and enjoy the game, or don't.  Not every game has to be new, or eye popping, or dazzling.  It's a story that is fun.  While it may not be a WoW ( and certainly we can all agree that WoW sized MMOs are the exception and not the rule) it is fun in its own rights.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Drive haters to make really useless and increasingly stupid posts about how it's a bad game.

that's not new.

I agree that's not new. However, claiming he's a "hater" is biased, and puts YOU into the "Rabid Fanboi" column.

By the unspoken rules of the web, I'm a hater too, as I didn't enjoy the game. I was hoping my post was exaggerated enough to make it clear it was a snarky comment. It seems I wasn't obvious enough.

{mod edit}

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'd like to point out that I've NEVER seen anyone put into the "Gray" column of just wanting a decent game. I almost ALWAYS find that people whom are slightly NEGATIVE or slightly POSITIVE about a particular game are ONLY put into the "Hater" or "Fanboi" gamer groups. 

Welcome to message boards.  And yes, it's sad.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Go?.

I'll takle the bait,

There is nothing new...but...I challenge you to give me 1 new or different game...not since the 90's has there been a 'new' or 'different' MMO.

Originally posted by MattNe

Go?.

I'll takle the bait,

There is nothing new...but...I challenge you to give me 1 new or different game...not since the 90's has there been a 'new' or 'different' MMO.

Dark & Light (2006), however that game was PLAGUED with management literally STEALING funds from the company where they could have been thrown @ development team for a more polished game.

-Open-World taming, you could tame literally ANYTHING that wasn't sentient.

-Open-World flight based on a creature you TAMED. Video

Shadowbane (2003) was also relatively innovative with their open-world claiming & war system. HIGHLY innovative PVE experience to top that off.

Dark Age of Camelot (2001), need I say anything here?

Planetside (2003), yea...i went there!

Star Wars Galaxies (2003), yea....i went there AGAIN!

These FIVE games stick out in my mind post-90s that were TRULY innovative within the MMO market. These games provided new elements to the MMO genre, and some are even being reused "lightly" within the genre. (Aka: DAOC's battleground system copied by WoW.)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I like this fadedbomb fella, he goes There.

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

I'm suprised that anyone would start a thread like this .

Its pretty obvious .

The cut scenes with moral choices and the in game companion that you interact with .

Dunno if the OP was trying to be a smart a**e if so he obvously doesnt have the stones for it or whether he was asking a genuine question in which case I've just answered it for him .

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I like this fadedbomb fella, he goes There.

Well, There being the applicable term for somewhere other than here then yes I've been "There" :3!

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

that's not new.

Amazing isn't it?

I don't hate the game, I don't like the game. What I won't do is pay for something that isn't enjoyable. On the other hand, my son hates the game mainly because he is angry he is out good cash. We have 5 guys on our ventrillo server who are fuming for many different reasons (customer support, bad lag, one claims outright deception on BW's part). It's not hard to understand their anger just as it's not hard to understand those who are having fun with the game shaking their heads. What is amazing, is the hypersensitivity at which people are defending the game, and the vitriolic hyperbole at which they are attacking it. They are both equals in their lack of maturity no matter how you look at it.

Originally posted by oobla

I'm suprised that anyone would start a thread like this .

Its pretty obvious .

The cut scenes with moral choices and the in game companion that you interact with .

Dunno if the OP was trying to be a smart a**e if so he obvously doesnt have the stones for it or whether he was asking a genuine question in which case I've just answered it for him .

Done in Age of Conan...

Done in Guild Wars, granted they're not companions YOU drag around EVERYWHERE, but you still could interact with them.

Also, another such "vaguely" referenced material could be brought back to SWG Pre-NGE where you had factional "pets" that were essentially companions that you could easily interact with for various options.

What i'm trying to say here, is that NEITHER the TWO points you brought up are new in any way thanks to SWTOR my friend.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Go?.

It made me believe in the power of love.

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

I didn't think it was advertised as bringing something new to the genre, except for the full voice overs. One thing it has brought to the genre from a long time gamer, is my interest again, been years since I have been addicted to a game.  Work, family, then SWTOR for a little almost everyday.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Go?.

It made me believe in the power of love.

hahahaha... You should get a medal.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Crafting system is not seen before. using your companions to craft and to sell your junk for you is new

The companion characters that can create or deny you story arcs based on what you decide.

the first sci fi MMO to have a different type of space combat

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Go?.

This is new for me, not sure about the industry in general. They've created a game where I follow the story line instead of skipping through it. *shrug* I don't think there are new mechanics that have never been done before in place. Bioware just implemented them correctly and not in a half-@ssed manner. < That might be new.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

The premise of this thread is couched in a rhetorical fallacy.  The OP attempts to ascribe a claim to the game that the game itself never made, and then dismiss said game because it doesn't meet his made up claim.

Pure intellectual dishonesty really.

Oh yeah, and it's easy for games to be innovative (Dark Age of Camelot, SWG, etc) when they're literally the first of their genre.  That's like saying Henry Ford was innovative because he made automobiles with roofs.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

100% different is very difficult to say but there's plenty of things it does differently from most other mmorpgs

- Companions: not only fighting for you but having a story and a voice, crafting for you, selling your grey items, having an affection stat, able to be decked out in any gear of the right kind, etc. i.e. the most fleshed out companion system in a mmorpg I ever played. (Even though I disliked the idea of needing to use companions before I played SWTOR I can only admit that it really works and is a very fun aspect).

- Itemization: gear inheriting stats from mods rather than fixed parameters (in the case of modable items) allows for a lot of customization and doesn't render your customizable gear obsolete.

- Crafting and re-engineering; to discover higher tiered versions of those recipes as well as having procs on individual crafting products adds a lot of depth and specialization to crafting.

- The extent of voice over content and story: biggest entertainment product ever made with this many lines of VO: no other mmorpg so far, not even movies, even comes close to that.

- Exploring for stat increases: datacrons & matrix cubes. And how some of them are hidden is simply brilliant world design.

- A space shooter minigame / alternative to fishing :P

- Vast amount of pve content; not only flashpoints (normal, hard mode and nightmare mode), bonus quests, dailies, EXTENSIVE individual class quest lines, operations but also hundreds of heroic quests; fun, mini dungeons intended for multiple players out in the worlds.

The last one might be the least outstanding compared to other games but there have been so many releases in the past years where the content simply wasn't enough. SWTOR is stepping up to that (even though it needs more and better fleshed out pvp content).

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

The biggest thing for me is the companions. I think the closest that comes to it is the mercenary in EQ1. While I tried to feel an affinity for them they were nothing but a piece of AI. Being able to romance and have sex with my companion and have her send me love notes and purple gifts in the mail in SWTOR is pretty awesome (Ashara). I like the crew skills system too, being able to craft, gather and make money while I'm in a warzone is the bomb.com

Also the alignment decisions and choices you make in game have a real impact on your story and the way people react to you. Almost in a Planescape: Torment type of way. never seen that before. Imagine consequences for decisions and personal responsibility in a video game.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I think the only thing is the crew skills system, where you send someone to do the work for you. Otherwise, I can't think of anything original in the game, but then I never expected them to do anything original, just polish the existing model a little more.

Original games don't come from AAA developers, they come from indie developers are usually terrible.

This discussion has been closed.