Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets thoughts on SWTOR?

Comments

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

Honestly PRE-CU and Post CU.... SWG was 10x the game than SWTORO even has the capacity to be.

• mastaDmastaD Member Posts: 10

This post should be named

glitched beyond belief Sandbox  VS  Overly Themed parked Game

Both are fun ...both has/had their issues .... Lets move on shall we

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Not even signing aboard to give SWTOR a try.

When the first rumors of a BioWare Star Wars MMORPG had first surfaced years and years ago, I was pretty excited.  Until actual details of gameplay and what BioWare were saying started coming out.  Alot of the things I disliked about the trends in MMORPG gaming were shining bright in SWTOR.  Excessive focus on SP gaming, NPCs replacing players for combat AND crafting.  Graphics as if it was 2002.  Same old, limited, unimaginative, easily categorized in PvP, Class + Level System (I was a tremendous fan of more freedom granted by systems such as SWG's original Skillpoint System).

The final factor that ensured I'd never touch this travesty of an MMORPG, especially one with the "Star Wars" name, was the space game.  With ALL the advancements space combat games have made in the 1990s and very, very early 2000s, BioWare implements a space game that reverses all those advancements back to 1990.  The original "X-Wing" game by Totally Games in 1993 blows this clown out of the water.

It seems you can see players running around, but make no mistake, this game at its heart is a SPRPG.  I'll insult it even further that it is an SPRPG that requires an internet connection.

I know developers sometimes (well, all the time now) will streamline an MMORPG for wider accessability.  but BioWare has taken the the tall Redwood Tree that is called "MMORPG Gaming" and streamlined it into a tiny toothpick.

Those are some of my thoughts on SWTOR.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Hmm well they don't really compare.  I am having fun in SWTOR, but a different kind of fun than I had in pre-NGE SWG.  But man, there is one section of music, that every time I hear it, I really start to miss those good ole days of SWG. 

When I first played the game in Beta, I really didn't think SWTOR was very 'Star Warsish'.  But after playing it for a little while now and progressing some of the stories along, it's definitely giving me a Star Wars feel.  I do however miss just doing whatever I want like I did in pre-NGE SWG, making my own destiny.  If you are on the fence about it, just wait a bit, I am sure the game will have a reduced price soon.  I have played almost every Star Wars video game, except for the lego ones and handheld games, and this is definitely a fun one. 

• sienosieno Member Posts: 119

Hello swg vets pre-cu I was very precouses about trying the game swtor but even though it is a different game  bioware did a real good job on it I know my old toon will never be born again I am getting that old swg feeling again  Im am on a rp/pvp server and loving it quit champions online to go full time for a person who only reason why is couse my rl brother bought it for me and a 60 day card for x-mas and it sat till jan 3  before I would try it out  even though I feel la had something to do with nge  

ohh btw on server ven zallow

name chandale 

ohh btw my swg name will be my legacy in the game :)

You want loot? Go kill some npcs, you wanna visit hades? come find ME, and dont forget to bring coins for the ferryman,

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

I think SWTOR is a fantastic game, not like SWG pre NGE but it is alot of fun.

I am sitting at level 50 and still not bored and have aton of things to do. I've played SWG in beta and then at launch, my favorite aspect of swg was the crafting, I was a master  arhitec, then after that went commando and afew other trees to unlock the Jedi side, but was'nt lucky enough LOL.

I was on server Sunrunner I believe that was the correct name

my characters name was Rudo Skyrunner  LOL

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Warmaker

When the first rumors of a BioWare Star Wars MMORPG had first surfaced years and years ago, I was pretty excited.  Until actual details of gameplay and what BioWare were saying started coming out.  Alot of the things I disliked about the trends in MMORPG gaming were shining bright in SWTOR.  Excessive focus on SP gaming, NPCs replacing players for combat AND crafting.  Graphics as if it was 2002.  Same old, limited, unimaginative, easily categorized in PvP, Class + Level System (I was a tremendous fan of more freedom granted by systems such as SWG's original Skillpoint System).

The final factor that ensured I'd never touch this travesty of an MMORPG, especially one with the "Star Wars" name, was the space game.  With ALL the advancements space combat games have made in the 1990s and very, very early 2000s, BioWare implements a space game that reverses all those advancements back to 1990.  The original "X-Wing" game by Totally Games in 1993 blows this clown out of the water.

It seems you can see players running around, but make no mistake, this game at its heart is a SPRPG.  I'll insult it even further that it is an SPRPG that requires an internet connection.

I know developers sometimes (well, all the time now) will streamline an MMORPG for wider accessability.  but BioWare has taken the the tall Redwood Tree that is called "MMORPG Gaming" and streamlined it into a tiny toothpick.

I agree with the above highlighted in red, thats why I am looking forward to the secret world, as you should take alook at that game, but calling SWTOR a travesty and saying that the game was blown out of the water by a 90's game, you obviously  have'nt played the game at all, so no need for those sorts of comments, play the game first instead of looking at videos.

ALOT of SWG fans like myself who played SWG during beta and all the way through, do enjoy swtor very much, while we do agree some aspects of the game need to be worked on, thats the way a mmo works, it's not finished at launch ONLY some areas are considered finished, these games continue to grow and develop over time thats why they are 15 per month and why you need a internet connection. Also you claiming it's a SPRPG it's not, as I said above, play the game first instead of making those comments here and being caught with your pants down.

I'll finish this up by stating that I had no intention of insulting you, but if you miss that freedom skillpoint system as I do as well, check out TSW you'll like what you see !

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Aeolron

Originally posted by Warmaker

I agree with the above highlighted in red, thats why I am looking forward to the secret world, as you should take alook at that game, but calling SWTOR a travesty and saying that the game was blown out of the water by a 90's game, you obviously  have'nt played the game at all, so no need for those sorts of comments, play the game first instead of looking at videos.

ALOT of SWG fans like myself who played SWG during beta and all the way through, do enjoy swtor very much, while we do agree some aspects of the game need to be worked on, thats the way a mmo works, it's not finished at launch ONLY some areas are considered finished, these games continue to grow and develop over time thats why they are 15 per month and why you need a internet connection. Also you claiming it's a SPRPG it's not, as I said above, play the game first instead of making those comments here and being caught with your pants down.

I'll finish this up by stating that I had no intention of insulting you, but if you miss that freedom skillpoint system as I do as well, check out TSW you'll like what you see !

I have no need to try SWTOR and throw any sort of money in their direction.  Because every comment, every detail, every screenshot, every preview BioWare had made for SWTOR made it very clear what direction they were going with it.  And it was completely the opposite direction of what I like, and again, the very epitome of what ails the MMORPG genre.

My comment of an early 90s game being superior to what SWTOR had is very specific, very exact.  BioWare's space game for SWTOR *IS* an absolute travesty in my eyes, and is more than a 20 year step backwards in the wrong direction of space combat games in variety and depth.  Again, Totally Games' "X-Wing" game in the early 90s blows away whatever has been offered in depth and freedom than what BioWare offers with SWTOR.  PC Gamer magazine months ago went in depth with BioWare about the on-rails space combat after BioWare themselves let the cat out of the bag.  I guess it fits with the overall Themepark design of SWTOR to limit the freedom and scope of its space combat.  It fits it I guess to have the space ride as an "on rails" / tunnel shooter aspect.

Jesus, SWG's "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion pack from 2004 (seven years ago) is vastly superior in freedom, depth, and variety than the limited scope of SWTOR's space game.  JTL still had alot of faults, IMO, but holy jeez, at least it lets you have more variety and freedom in gameplay and flight.  For a modern MMORPG using the "Star Wars" name to have such a backwards space combat game is pathetic and a huge letdown.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 866

pre-cu vet

if you're not looking for SWG2 and KNOW this game is about as themepark as it gets and can live with that, give it a try.  its fun for what it is.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP

ive never played SWG but since you post says you are on the fence about trying Swtor, id say if you do get swtor, get the standard edition.... I got the Digital Deluxe Edition for 80 bucks and the silly items you get for the DDE not worth the extra 30 bucks..... i feel ripped off

the game is fun but the standard edition is the way to go, you wont miss a thing.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

SWG was a better game even with its problems. Granted i know they are realy different, TOR just wasnt my cup of tea. And obviously this is my opinion, so i dont speak for everyone.

If you take the features alone between SWG and TOR, SWG outnumbers TOR by like 20+features.

-player housing, a good kind. Decorating a guildhall took a long time. It was fun, it was a wonderful sight, it allowed other to see your creativity. It was like a mini-game all by itself.

-vendors, much better than auction houses. Could use my own house, or a tent to set up shop anywhere. Cool feature for a crafter.

-crafting, what can i say. Even people that hate SWG have said it had one of the best crafting systems ever. Guy from EQ1 made it i do believe.

-resources- damn i loved resources having their own stats and spawn for a few hours to a few days and never be seen again.

-no freaking nodes or chunks of metal on the ground you have to waste time gathering. Just go out set up a few harvesters and go back to enjoying the game.

- large open worlds with tons of creatures that interacted with each other. Seen rancor attack other creature spawns and it was amazing. Never seen that in any game released since.

- space flight, much more indepth than anything TOR has shown. I played several TOR space missions. Felt like i deposited a quarter and was playing an arcade game.

-player content, i didnt have to sit around at max level and redo dailies, warzones, and raids everyday to keep me occupied. We made our own fun, and had tons of it.

-galactic civil war, though having flaws and not perfect it was a great idea and actualy felt like you were fighting for the planet.

-in its prime, places were packed. Not instanced. You would land on a planet go to the cantina and see hundreds of players. Not like TOR when you land you see a handful because its all instanced to hell. I went 2 days in TOR on Alderaan and didnt see a single human player. WTF? Millions of gamers and it felt as baren as Vanguard.

- collectables galore

- more meaningful reverse engineering

- player made economy, worthwhile crafting (well until loot system took over and killed the economy). It meant something making 80/80/80/80 72 armor. Quad 80's was a great thing.  Great market and very busy.

-POI's just to adventure and see all the great things. Never a set course. I could ride my mount/speeder 20 minutes in any direction and see so much more. Finding things in the oddest places and an feeling like you are actualy there.

-tons of community driven fun, from cantinas just chatting, multiple seated speeders, player bounties, the need for others, just to going out fishing with your guildies.

-all the little events, the cool decor, the specialty items, collectables, the village on dath (kinda fun), and the large invasions for the galactic civil war just made it feel like nonstop entertainment.

- you can add or remove things you dislike. But as you can see TOR with its 200+ million and year+ polishing doesnt even come close. "but TOR has only been out a month" BAH. New age mmos should have things included already, not have to use features that should be in a mmo as an attempt to think they are adding content lol.

TOR is to limited, confining, and to hardcore of a themepark game. If i was on Tat and wanted to visit Hoth for example i couldnt, or not without risj of getting my butt handed to me 30 seconds after getting top side. I had to go planet to planet in order, could pick or chose. Even games like WOW, RIFT, and few other top games out arent even half as bad as TOR.

This felt to me like playing KTOR on my console all over again, just seeing a few real people here and there.

Dont get me wrong, TOR is probably a great game for some. Just not for me. Yeah ill hang on to my SWG fanboy attitude and wait for a game like it to be released. A few coming out within a year or 2.

I hope TOR does survive and be a great game. I dont hate or dislike the game. I had fun in my month. Just to limited and confined for someone like me.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

pre-cu feller '04. I love the fact SWG was packrat paradise. I especially liked how dynamic the world was before the NGE -- dynamism of creature and the picking up and dropping off of troops, etc.

Prior to the NGE, the whole world had a very mysterious feel to it which is wholly missing in current mmorpgs.  Oddly, SWG offered one of the best PvP experiances I've had (pre-nge). Trandoshian JEDI cloak assassin squads ftw!

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by rojo6934

OP

ive never played SWG but since you post says you are on the fence about trying Swtor, id say if you do get swtor, get the standard edition.... I got the Digital Deluxe Edition for 80 bucks and the silly items you get for the DDE not worth the extra 30 bucks..... i feel ripped off

the game is fun but the standard edition is the way to go, you wont miss a thing.

I agree 100%

I wouldn't pay in-game credits for any of the Digital Deluxe items. It's just a waste.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Pre-CU Vet. Played al the way up until the end through every change.

SWTOR is a blast. very different game but much fun. Give it a try.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Fishermage

Pre-CU Vet. Played al the way up until the end through every change.

SWTOR is a blast. very different game but much fun. Give it a try.

I remember fishermagi from the SWG forums image

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Two totally different games. I played SWG from beta til Dec 15th last year. I've been playing TOR since Dec 13th.

TOR is a great game to play beat em up with some friends and goof on the dialog choices during flashpoints and heroic quests. It has some clean graphics, a fun mini space game, and the companion management is fun how its mixed in with your crafting professions. My class is fun to play in both pve and pvp.

SWG... where to begin haha. Its probably top 5 of best video games I've ever played. In its prime, it was one of the most immersive, unique game experiences I've had. Its not that TOR is a bad game, its fun. Its just that SWG was playing on another level.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Though not my favorite MMO, SWG was an MMO.  It actually had a persistent world that you could explore, encounter other people, etc.  When you logged in, you could go North, South, East, or West, and look for some kind of adventure.

TOR isn't an MMO.  It's a highly instanced cooperative single player game (and not a very creative one at that).  When you log in, you can go straight down the narrow hallway they created for you. 

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by rguilbert

TOR isn't an MMO.  It's a highly instanced cooperative single player game (and not a very creative one at that).  When you log in, you can go straight down the narrow hallway they created for you. 

Yep, that's what I was thinking while I was in 8- and 16-man raid groups ... "this is one hell of a single player game!"

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

SWG and SWTOR are completely different games.  SWG was once fun and original... it got ruined.  SWTOR has no comparison to really anything except what you've all heard a thousand times... it's a clone.  Well, it is!!!  SWTOR brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table.  Voice Overs are not new, original, advanced, or any other word/phrase you might want to tag onto this game.  It has the star wars logo.... that is seriously it.

SWTOR has maybe 2 months tops of content to keep the average mmo gamer occupied.  After the sad realization that *this is it*, you might hold on but I doubt it.  I capped my character extremely fast and I tried my hardest to experience all the content.  Sorry to say that the game is extremely f'ing boring once you finally stand back and take it all in.  My roommate still plays but every time I see him he's either in huttball or voss.  You're paying a subscription for an arena.

Wish I had saved my money on this terrible product.

*sigh*  such a bad game marketed to the masses as something it's not.... fun.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Clone Wars. No no people are being serious here must not make jokes. Sorry couldn't resist it.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by rguilbert

^^^

This

Decent B2P/F2P CORPG. Terribad P2P MMORPG.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    When a major studio takes a fantastic IP, 200m dollars and 5 years to produce something so un-star wars-y, so badly implemented, so mediocre and quite frankly so unambitious then the answer to the question how does it compare is........it doesn't.
  • YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

Well I was just about to post onto the TOR forum (the thread that just suddenly became LOCKED moments ago...roflmao...) that on Starsider at one point not too long ago we had a guild of 400+ members maybe 80 or so real life peeps. The longest period of not logging in would run maybe short 90 days, but even not playing many would pop into vent to see what was going on, talk to friends (some going back 8 years), and of course talk about  "the most anticipated game awaiting launch", SW:TOR.

Funny how things work out. I played 2 betas, one my own invite and another of a friend who deplyed and couldn't but let me play his invite. Hell I even just finished the 'free trial'. Out of all those folks who just couldn't wait to see TOR released we only know of one still playing, and while he will never admit he's not having an awsome time, he sure seems to be spending an awful lot of time playing Fallen Earth, in spite of that muti-month game time he bought.

Do I think you should give TOR a whirl? Absolutely. Do I think you should spend $60 doing so? Absolutely not....

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I've said many times that I've only played SWG to the day of JTL, my last day. I think with all of SWG's fault pre JTL, that it was a better game. At the time I didn't even think SWG was all that great, it was unfinished and had some atrocious bugs, for the clowns that want an example;

Occasionally, sitting down would cause you to be teleported to 0,0 or any corner (usually the top right side) of the map you were on.

Many stories like that. In retrospect they have become charming memories but at the time it wasn't always funny.

I will try and not say anything factual about swtor just my thoughts, everyone knows the bugs etc, which were not as bad as SWG's at release.

The first thing I thought was that the game was shallow, and that if I wanted to raid I could just go back to WoW (I quit before Cata) since WoW does everything but personal character story a lot better.

The second thing I thought was that PVP sucked, skill lag alone made me question the dev's common sense. Why would I want to press a button only for it not to work instantly, give me a combat queue then.

After that it was a jumble of dissapointments from the lack of chat bubbles and a combat log to the fact that another star wars game had left out a comprehensive space simulator. I thought, the best case scenario is that I play AND like every storyline only to have to end up doing a very WoW-like endgame.

Everyone thought these same things, and the ones who didn't... I don't generally like to generalize but lol most people who really love swtor are people that I don't like. Maybe because I think they are unintelligent, and maybe they think I'm a dumbass too, can't really hate a guy for thinking I'm an idiot if I think he is too!

The beta community seemed really awesome though, might be a different set of people all together.

Anyway, I don't like the game, I don't like the post release community, I no longer like EA or Bioware AND these lazy $4its haven't updated the Timline in..... almost a year?

WTF happened to the Timeline?

Really isn't much else to say unless I start nitpicking. I don't think them implimenting the "Sit" mechanic makes any difference in a game that has no depth. They can look at photoshoped landscapes all they want to but I know a fake world when I see it.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I like the game, but I wish it were more.

Also wish the OP had a poll.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011