Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Official SWTOR Video Review

13»

Comments

• kyrawolfkyrawolf Member UncommonPosts: 23

Good review, informative and fair.  Judging by the fun factor, I'd rate it a bit higher, perhaps 9.5 or so, but I don't really quarrel with the 8.7 given.  Mostly I think the review and video did a good job of laying out what the game is about and what to expect.  Congrats to the reviewer - he had to know that he'd get flak no matter how he judged it.

• VallistaVallista Member UncommonPosts: 282

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by pandrax

I think you are so infused with blinding hate for a game you would of never played to begin with that you should just stop talking, right now.  It's not SWG Get over it and move on. There are far more people enjoying SWTOR then who hate it. The ones who don't like it were never going to play it to begin with.

Maybe if people would score games honestly, instead of inflating them, people would not be complaining about reviews that give high scores to games that do not deserve it.

Maybe if some people would realize that a good amount of the complaints are subjective and it is very certain that some things that people are complaing about just aren't issues some people.

And do you think it stands to reason that the people who are giving this game decent marks might be the people this game is made for?

Just like people who make bad remarks about EVE might get you to explain to them that EVE isn't for them do you think that this game might not be for you and those who have the same taste as you?

Oh come on, Sov. Please don't tell me you're jumping on that bandwagon.

Numerous people - including some who do like the game regardless - have noted that the scores are in conflict with the body of the review. Criticizing several areas of a certain category, praising one or two... and then giving it a 8.5 anyway is definitely not consistent. Other game reviews I've seen here which had numerous issues cited about a given category were not given almost perfect scores anyway on the strength of 1 or 2 positives. 

Criticizing aspects of the gameplay, but giving it a high score because "story has never been so fun!" - when storyline is typically a separate category from gameplay to begin with - is rather odd.

Citing numerous issues with the visuals of the game, but giving it a solid 9/10 - one point away from perfect - regardless screams "shamelessly biased scoring" to me. The UI issues cited would have brought the score down a point just by themselves, were this most any other game. 

Using an absolute bottom-of-the-barrel example such as "$60 games that only give 10 hours of gameplay" as a basis of comparison for TOR's longevity? Really? Choosing the least favorable example in a different genre of gaming to prop up TOR's longevity score? I gotta say, anyone who can't see right through that little stunt is willfully blind. 

And so on.

The impression I got, along with numerous others, from reading the review, and even watching the video, is that the score was determined before the reviewing process was even started. 

Again, it has nothing to do with someone giving a high score to something they like personally. It has everything to do with someone giving a near perfect score to something, despite a list of rather damning criticisms that would have brought that score down in most any other circumstance.

The review score is inconsistent with the review itself. 

I have to agree ^^

• VallistaVallista Member UncommonPosts: 282

I'm considering buying this game, even I notice how bogus this review was.  somebody got paid a lot of money for a good review.  sad

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Aeolron

I agree that guild wars 2 looks neat but amazing? It looks like a carbon copy of WoW I guess the "appeal" is that it's free to play but still have to purchase the content updates ect..

A game that I hope does the impossible is TSW no level cap no all the same toons, ten years of content ready to goto the game ( as what funcom says ) and best of all, it's a adult mmo, kids will have a hard time trying to piece together real human lore, myths urban legends and bible stories to get ahead in the game.

^^This

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Good god the scores don't mirror the commentary at all. @1:23 he says "Overall though  the UI doesn't set the game back to much because aesthetics  still receives a 9" after mentioneing all of the things the UI in the game doesn't have. Then he goes on to say that he thought the misssions were fun at first, but the missions are the same as you progress only on steroids and gives it another 9 because storytelling has never been so fun.  Couldn't watch more after that because I couldn't listen to the drivel any longer. 

Spot on! I closed the video exactly after the "missions are the same but it gets a 9". Jesus!

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

I agree that guild wars 2 looks neat but amazing? It looks like a carbon copy of WoW I guess the "appeal" is that it's free to play but still have to purchase the content updates ect..

A game that I hope does the impossible is TSW no level cap no all the same toons, ten years of content ready to goto the game ( as what funcom says ) and best of all, it's a adult mmo, kids will have a hard time trying to piece together real human lore, myths urban legends and bible stories to get ahead in the game.

I agree with this /

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219

To all the complainers out there, this reviewer gave the game a 8.7 while meanwhile, metacritic has the game scored (based on all the majors reviews), as an 8.6.  Are they all wrong too?  Based on mainstream criteria for judging games... not likely.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Moirae

^^This

Its because of people like you two that this genre is in this curent state: stale, heartless and boring.

GW2 is a carbon copy of what???

Funcom what???

Some people can really live on low expectations or with eyes wide shut....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by Deleted User

Numerous people - including some who do like the game regardless - have noted that the scores are in conflict with the body of the review. Criticizing several areas of a certain category, praising one or two... and then giving it a 8.5 anyway is definitely not consistent. Other game reviews I've seen here which had numerous issues cited about a given category were not given almost perfect scores anyway on the strength of 1 or 2 positives. 

Criticizing aspects of the gameplay, but giving it a high score because "story has never been so fun!" - when storyline is typically a separate category from gameplay to begin with - is rather odd.

Citing numerous issues with the visuals of the game, but giving it a solid 9/10 - one point away from perfect - regardless screams "shamelessly biased scoring" to me. The UI issues cited would have brought the score down a point just by themselves, were this most any other game. 

Using an absolute bottom-of-the-barrel example such as "$60 games that only give 10 hours of gameplay" as a basis of comparison for TOR's longevity? Really? Choosing the least favorable example in a different genre of gaming to prop up TOR's longevity score? I gotta say, anyone who can't see right through that little stunt is willfully blind. 

And so on.

The impression I got, along with numerous others, from reading the review, and even watching the video, is that the score was determined before the reviewing process was even started. 

Again, it has nothing to do with someone giving a high score to something they like personally. It has everything to do with someone giving a near perfect score to something, despite a list of rather damning criticisms that would have brought that score down in most any other circumstance.

Not sure who I'm replying to as "user is deleted". Still...

My first thought is that numbered reviews mean very little. Especially with such a wide 1-10 spread.

So I just don't care about  a number. What I do care about is what the reviewer has to say.

If a reviewer starts to say that the game barely runs, it crashes all the time, does not include promised features, etc then that is an issue.

If the reviewer starts going on and on about things that one might find superficial, such as this new deal of "oh, I can see below the water that I shouldn't be able to see below and they didn't take that into account so "major fail" or "the world seems so lifeless because I can't go up to every npc and start a conversatoin with them or go up to them and get some sort of snippet that will be forgotten in a bit then I know where that reviewer is coming from and I can better compare their concerns with what I think is important.

Do I care that I can see a "seam" in the world or that the npc's aren't living breathign entities? Not really. It's a bit too picayune for my taste to be examinging everything with a microscope in the hopes of seeing some pixelation or some graphic issue. Go to any art gallery and you will know what I mean. Not every painting (actually, most paintings) are meant to be seen up close except to admire the brushwork.

I loved the world of Lineage 2 and those npc's might as well have been ceramic dolls.

I have two choices, I can nitpick about every little thing or I can accept the game as it is and see what the developers created as far as game play. I dont remember a game that didn't have some little hiccup, or exploit or graphical "oops".

Players want the numbers to be hard and fast reality when I wholely suspect that in many cases these games are greater than the sum of their parts. For instance, on Amazon I made a small review of the new conan movie. Out of five stars I felt it was a solid 3 for those who liked fantasy movies. I mean, besides Lord of the Rings, there really aren't many fantasy movies of great quality. However, I really enjoyed it despite its flaws. And I can just list them them on and on. But in the end I had fun. So I gave it a 4 with an explanation.

Now, for people who hate fantasy movies I can't expect them to appreciate that 4 in any way, shape or forum. For people who have to immerse themselves in every criticism they are going to rail against that 4. but I had fun despite the issues.

Same with a game like SWToR. What I'm seeing here are people who don't like the game who desperately want validation. They want these numbers to somehow have a realistic pinning to the thoughts of the reviewer.

Well, I can list how the game doesn't seem to be optimized well or that some of the worlds feel like they aren't designed well, or that making the ability to have a speeder a higher level thing and having the skill to use it cost so much seems ridiculous but besides all that, my enjoyment transcends those things that I call quirks. I have other issues with the game and if I listed them I would then say "the game, on a scale of 1-10 (since we have to have that) is an 8" for me. Then players would be up in arms because I clearly listed that the game isn't optimized well or that there is a huge memory leak which causes me to tale over a minute to quit the game or that I can hear these bizzare convrsatonis coming from somewhere and I suspect they are bugs but the game is still "an 8" for my fun factor.

You want a real issue? it's not manipulating the camera under the water or watching an npc to see if it has daily cycles (which of course they don't) it's me not being able to get into the game since the last patch.

That's an issue. That's something real to me. It doesn't affect how much fun I have been having. It does affect how much fun I can continue to have if it doesn't get resolved.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Whichever catagory the reviewer wants to put the UI in should _not_ be more than a 5-6 not only due to the lack of advanced features like addons but simple stuff like UI scaling or even the option to select different skins doesn't exsist. It's like giving a car 9/10 on it's windows becuase they're tinted perfectly but ignoring the fact that they don't roll down. Additionally the section responsible for all of the loading screens should be taking a fairly large hit too.

If you want to rate the game by comparing it to how good other games were on the day they were released then I think the scores in this review are fair (UI still too high).

If you're comparing it to the best of what's available in each catagory (i.e. the best GFX/UI/Story/PVP/etc of any game = 10) then other than story all of these scores are far too high.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by Vallista

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think you are so infused with blinding hate for a game you would of never played to begin with that you should just stop talking, right now.  It's not SWG Get over it and move on. There are far more people enjoying SWTOR then who hate it. The ones who don't like it were never going to play it to begin with.

Maybe if people would score games honestly, instead of inflating them, people would not be complaining about reviews that give high scores to games that do not deserve it.

Maybe if some people would realize that a good amount of the complaints are subjective and it is very certain that some things that people are complaing about just aren't issues some people.

And do you think it stands to reason that the people who are giving this game decent marks might be the people this game is made for?

Just like people who make bad remarks about EVE might get you to explain to them that EVE isn't for them do you think that this game might not be for you and those who have the same taste as you?

And so on.

I have to agree ^^

I would have to Agree to Disagree,,,,,,,

Yea thats what im sticking too.....

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

And yes I still find guild wars 2 a carbon copy of WoW, I'll probably get warned again but so be it, these things need to be said!

This is a blind statement and I am not even close to being a GW2 fanboi. You just proved their can never be another sword and board fantasy game in the genre as long as WoW is alive. No matter how different people just can not let go.

btw look up my "Puremallace how to hate on a mmorpg 101". Step 1 was downplay major features. The mods here might have locked it, but look at the threads being made treating the voice overs as a common mmo feature. Step 2 was sites like Massively and others turning on the game.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Honestly - no game will every get a high rating from all of the elitist richards on this forum - except for the 2nd coming GW2 which isn't even out yet - there are already shrines being built somewhere for gamers to freaking trek to.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I can't believe a pve only game has held my attention for two weeks.I have been going slow...by making many characters to find the one or two I want to play.Looks like Sniper and Mercinary are it..for now. I just got my first ship last night..Now that was cool.Watching what I'm typing...I sound like a mushy thinking kid.AND I'M HAVING FUN.RVR is what will keep me or loose me.I sure hope we see  great 24/7 persistent world realm vs realm system soon.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by echolynfan

Honestly - no game will every get a high rating from all of the elitist richards on this forum - except for the 2nd coming GW2 which isn't even out yet - there are already shrines being built somewhere for gamers to freaking trek to.

The amazing thing about the second coming of GW is how much near hysteria its potential players have been able to build up for a game likely to release finally in late 2012 or even early 2013.  

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Clerigo

^^This

Its because of people like you two that this genre is in this curent state: stale, heartless and boring.

GW2 is a carbon copy of what???

Funcom what???

Some people can really live on low expectations or with eyes wide shut....

Its because of people like you that the games are going down hill. Sorry. Its you haters that aren't helping anything. 

And btw, you really should keep your mouth shut until you actually read what someone says instead of make it up as you go.

A "hater"...??? OK then im not an hater anymore, "program". So tell me what should i do know? Maybe buy every mmorpg that gets launched and say they are all amazing, free of problems, finished products, totally diferent of anyother i have played before and be happy and keep on buying all of them and paint rainbows...

...well, "program", i dont see it that way. You have your opinion, i have mine.

If the definition of hater for you is "person that wants quality when paying for a product", then i am indeed a "hater", "program".

A person that says GW2 is a carbon copy of WoW and is interested to buy a Funcom product after wat they did to customers with AoC should be the one keeping his mouth shut, unless you dont mind when buying a new car for it to have no engine...and you smileeeeee image

Now, go be a good robot image and say "yes" to everything...just say "yes yes yes yes", buy a stamp with a printed "yes" and just "stamp stamp stamp" (thats a Chris Rock joke)