Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Typhon & Mourningstar Brought to Life

2»

Comments

• grummzgrummz Member Posts: 56

We actually started with Open World PvP, but then decided to get the fundamentals with weapons and classes and PvE down first.

We have about 2 years of design and dev into open world PvP, so when we are ready to do it, it will go pretty fast. 

• JormungaandJormungaand Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by grummz

We actually started with Open World PvP, but then decided to get the fundamentals with weapons and classes and PvE down first.

We have about 2 years of design and dev into open world PvP, so when we are ready to do it, it will go pretty fast. 

When you say open world PvP, are there even factions in the game? I thought the way it's currently set up is everyone is the same faction and PvP is just team based arenas. So I'm a bit curious as to how oPvP would work, especially if introduced post launch.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Well, I came from Blizzard, so "it's done when it's done" runs deeply in my veins. :)

But really...what we are working on now is the Open World. It takes a lot longer to do that than the PvP aspect. We don't have a release date, but bring the game up in phases of features and content. Each phase is accompanied by more testers. At some point, the store will be brought online, but the game will still be in beta but with even more users. At some point, we drop the beta tag altogether and let users invite whoever they want.

I like it. Some of us just get annoyed with the release date because we are dieing to play. I know I am one of them. I thought there was something mentioned about a december launch but I must have been mistaken.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

btw, is this the right time and place to beg the head hocnho CEO man for a beta key?

:D (now where is that cutest of the cute emotes... damn crappy mmorpg.com forums... i want the one with a bunny or a kitten...)

ill try this one  http://youtu.be/F-RRVwTBWL0

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Planetside was one of my favorite games. I'm looking forward to PS2.

That said, Firefall offers a very different experence. We have huge open world PvE co-op play, fighitng off Chosen invasions, locating and refining Crystite resources into tech modules to upgrade your battleframes, and a story campaign.

There is room for both games. And Firefall will also feature open world PvP in the future.

Yeah, this is what really gets me interested in Firefall.  PvP is great and all, but a good amount of PvE could add a whole new dimension to the gameplay, compared to other shooters, not to mention broadening the audience.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by tawess

it is ok... The marketing division makes for shitty coders any way and video producers are usualy lazy texture artists.

Good to know some of the investors money went into wasting time cause the marketing team was bored.

Promotion is essential in the release of any game... only a fool would think differently. It is money well invested.

You guys need to lighten up IMO. Let them spend their budget how they feel the need to, let them entertain us some, and then judge the game on it's merits at launch. There is no need for you to be worrying about their budget or their investors for them at this stage.

Loved the armour personally, thought they both looked great.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I agree with the majority on this one: there's absolutely nothing wrong with putting marketing dollars into whatever platform the company believes will best promote their game. As a business owner, I can confirm Mark's statement about online banner ads costing far too much for far too little a return. I say kudos to them for thinking outside the box.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to do my five-times-a-day email check to see if I've been invited to test Firefall yet. :)

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

It's all fine and dandy till people start complaining about the game being unfinished/unpolished/lacking and so on like so many games before. Just remember if I see any posts like that that in the future I will mention that you guys rather had cosplay videos so deal with it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's all fine and dandy till people start complaining about the game being unfinished/unpolished/lacking and so on like so many games before. Just remember if I see any posts like that that in the future I will mention that you guys rather had cosplay videos so deal with it.

...and if it launches in a good polished state? Will you be back to apologise and say you were wrong and they were better able to judge their budget and needs then you were?

Thought not.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by vesavius

...and if it launches in a good polished state? Will you be back to apologise and say you were wrong and they were better able to judge their budget and needs then you were?

Thought not.

lol, We'll just have to wait and see, wont we?