Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Mass info for the uninitiated

Comments

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Impressive post OP, absolutely amazing, wasnt that interested in gw2 before, ut eagerly awaiting it now, bookmarked this and gonna link it to all my friends lol :)

GJ!!!

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

This thread is getting more and more impressive. Congratulations!

imageimage
  • ChelmoChelmo Member CommonPosts: 17

Turns out the bottom stuff got cut off, I missed part of the Thief class, the Engineer, the Mesmer, screenshots, videos, and some misc info.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Great post! pretty sure your a Anet employee, if not your should prolly get on that.

Everything looks great on paper, always does, we will see if it actually plays out.

Graphics are the only thing you can actually grade at this point about the game and i would prolly give them a C-.  Very fuzzy in all videos / SS ive seen and all sharp edges no clean roundoffs or anything.  Can easily be overlooked if the gameplay is as good as it sounds.

Also the Charr GRRRRR please remove the rabid WolfCow man.  

C

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Thanks for the hard work

+1 platinum internet cookie for you

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Great post! pretty sure your a Anet employee, if not your should prolly get on that.

Everything looks great on paper, always does, we will see if it actually plays out.

Graphics are the only thing you can actually grade at this point about the game and i would prolly give them a C-.  Very fuzzy in all videos / SS ive seen and all sharp edges no clean roundoffs or anything.  Can easily be overlooked if the gameplay is as good as it sounds.

he is not anet employee. he is active at gw2guru. very enthusiastic fan.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

This should give you an idea of how it should look, even though the footage is EXTREMELY outdated.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Thanks OP, I actually opened an acount here just to thank you for this. Even though I have been actively looking at this game, your post filled in a lot of missing peices to the puzzle. Thumbs up!

• ChelmoChelmo Member CommonPosts: 17

C-? I don't think I have any words for that. Also, remove a race that is integral to lore of the entire game because you think it's a cow? They're cats, not cows.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Lmao mr [shrooms]

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by moosecatlol

This should give you an idea of how it should look, even though the footage is EXTREMELY outdated.

Moose no he's only going to agree that it's a C- he's trying to cause a disturbance within the force.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Love this writeup.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

The link right under Character Creation has a malformed URL.

http:// http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EAaQp_3PVk&hd=1

• Marchosias31Marchosias31 Member Posts: 83

Chelmo, will you have my babies?

You, sir, are awesome! Well done........and thank you!

Whatever happened to the IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures?

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

An excellent thread and write-up, Chelmo! Though I've known this info for awhile, I would certainly have wanted to read your posts if I had been new to the GW2 scene. Great job!

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Something that is still a little fuzzy to me is gear and seemingly isn't covered in detail in this guide, I know when you enter pvp you will have standardized gear (i think) and get bumped up to 80 so there is 0 differences between players except looks and proffesion.

But how about the pve? will there be any actual power increases at all or will you have the strongest (item level) gear from the get go? I know I can go to a lvl 80 area with a lvl 80 friend as a lvl 2 but if there is gear progression will me being there effectively make the event harder due to lack of gear? With their design philosphy in mind I'd assume there is no gearing up or it's so extremely miniscule like +1 str (in wow terms) every 20 levels.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

I read somewhere that for an additional fee you can upload your soul right into the game so you never have to log off :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

This thread needs to be stickied, and stickied ASAP. Fantastic compilation containing the vast wealth of information we have on the game it's characters, story lines, etc. If you've got the time and want to know what all the hype is about, it is a must read.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by echolynfan

I read somewhere that for an additional fee you can upload your soul right into the game so you never have to log off :)

I would be okay with this.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

my finger hurts from scrolling down to  much hehe great article still reading it as i type this... sticky this!!

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by dlld

Something that is still a little fuzzy to me is gear and seemingly isn't covered in detail in this guide, I know when you enter pvp you will have standardized gear (i think) and get bumped up to 80 so there is 0 differences between players except looks and proffesion.

But how about the pve? will there be any actual power increases at all or will you have the strongest (item level) gear from the get go? I know I can go to a lvl 80 area with a lvl 80 friend as a lvl 2 but if there is gear progression will me being there effectively make the event harder due to lack of gear? With their design philosphy in mind I'd assume there is no gearing up or it's so extremely miniscule like +1 str (in wow terms) every 20 levels.

There's no gear progression. At any level, there's a low barrier to entry for obtaining the highest-grade armor for that particular level... including maximum. So once you're maximum level, all progression is virtually horizontal, picking traits and skills for your build as well as title and achievement hunting. All gear earned from higher level dungeons are completely for aesthetics.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

You have 3 type of scaling

In competitive pvp (small team maps) everything and every one is scaled to max. Basically you have a maxed toon with basic equipment like everyone else, you also get the same skills. They give you a new maxed toon with standard config and gear here.

In the Mist or world pvp map, you only get your level scaled i think to max, so you won't access the skill you didn't enable. For gear i'm not sure here, but i believe they stay at your level, you definitely keep the one you find in your daily gaming. But i don't think we know what is the real impact of gear and/or if gear is part of the scaling process or not, so it's hard to judge before you can test in the game. They are some mmo where the gear have huge impact, some where it have less,  but i bet it won't have a dramatic impact in GW2.

In pve you will be scaled to the level of the zone you enter. So if you enter a lv20 zone you'll be scaled up of down to that level.  So you'll be able to play in any zones. I think a max level that is scale down to lv 20 for ex will still be a bit better than a lv 5 scaled up to 20. I think the point is that you'll be able to play anywhere and with whoever without level or power concern.

That's the general idea we have now.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by Serelisk

There's no gear progression. At any level, there's a low barrier to entry for obtaining the highest-grade armor for that particular level... including maximum. 

So there would be a power difference in pve between a lvl 2 bumped to 80 and a 80 that passed the 80 gear barrier?

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

In PvP the difference is not just in looks, race and profession, but in your choice of traits and weapons. Traits are the main character customization tool in gw2. Anet is going to release in-depth article about traits soon, so keep your eyes open.

In PvE every armor piece and weapons have unique but balanced stats. Some will perhaps provide more defensive stats but less offensive ones and vice versa, others will be balanced.

So in the end your choice of armor, weapons and traits will matter.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Requiamer

You have 3 type of scaling

In competitive pvp (small team maps) everything and every one is scaled to max. Basically you have a maxed toon with basic equipment like everyone else, you also get the same skills. They give you a new maxed toon with standard config and gear here.

In the Mist or world pvp map, you only get your level scaled i think to max, so you won't access the skill you didn't enable. For gear i'm not sure here, but i believe they stay at your level, you definitely keep the one you find in your daily gaming. But i don't think we know what is the real impact of gear and/or if gear is part of the scaling process or not, so it's hard to judge before you can test in the game. They are some mmo where the gear have huge impact, some where it have less,  but i bet it won't have a dramatic impact in GW2.

In pve you will be scaled to the level of the zone you enter. So if you enter a lv20 zone you'll be scaled up of down to that level.  So you'll be able to play in any zones. I think a max level that is scale down to lv 20 for ex will still be a bit better than a lv 5 scaled up to 20. I think the point is that you'll be able to play anywhere and with whoever without level or power concern.

That's the general idea we have now.

I believe there is some misinformation here regarding the open world pvp, and pve.

I think you get sidekicked up, if you are in a group with friends, to the friend lvl range, both in pve and pvp.

In pve you get scaled down on lower lvl stuff, but wont be able to do the higher lvl stuff unless someone sidekicks you up,

Might be wrong, but this is the impression i got from reading everything a few months ago

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."