Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Mass info for the uninitiated

Comments

• ChelmoChelmo Member CommonPosts: 17

Originally posted by thekid1

Originally posted by DutchSmurf

I assume she was a bit overselling the point and she was actually referring to dynamic events?

So the changes made in the world are not permanent but only a few weeks or months.

It means the changes are permanent, until someone comes along and does something about it. The bridge used in the example can be blown up by monsters. Unless players come along and rebuild the bridge, it will stay down. And it will be down for everyone in that server. Events don't reset by default. Players have to actually push them back into the previous state

If that's true then that's pretty fricking awsome.

It's very true, it's what they've been trying to get people to understand. Things don't reset every X amount of minutes, events go in different directions based on the outcome whether you succeed or fail, the event goes in a new direction based on that and only when you or some other player intervenes does something change. Beyond that, enemy factions won't just sit there, if they take over a town they'll fortify it, they'll send out war parties into the zone to take over more areas, they'll send out snipers to asssassinate merchants. It's all up to the players to stop these things from happening and restore order, these things will happen with or without player intervention, the world will always be changing.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Between GW2 and SWTOR, I won t even look at another MMO for a long time.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by DutchSmurf

I assume she was a bit overselling the point and she was actually referring to dynamic events?

So the changes made in the world are not permanent but only a few weeks or months.

It means the changes are permanent, until someone comes along and does something about it. The bridge used in the example can be blown up by monsters. Unless players come along and rebuild the bridge, it will stay down. And it will be down for everyone in that server. Events don't reset by default. Players have to actually push them back into the previous state

If that's true then that's pretty fricking awsome.

That was sort of what I meant when I tried to explain it, though he obviously explained it better ;p..

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by Maggon

Originally posted by KonyakZero

First of all, thank you op and a very nice job you did.

In the video on of the designers (the woman) speaks about how a single player can change the world and then they show footage about a big bridge being blown.

No, she was talking about single player instances.

She was indeed refering to dynamic events as these things can and will happen.

Actual she was out after that video was released stating that it was about player instances, not DE she was claiming thesse things about.  

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Leucent

Between GW2 and SWTOR, I won t even look at another MMO for a long time.

I feel the same about GW2 and possibly The Secret World.  I'm kind of tired of the traditional MMORPG.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

Very good info, that kept me busy for a bit.

2 questions

1. You said there are 1600 events, how is an event defined?  The example you gave was of an army moving out, is that classed as an event, then the army setting up a base if not stopped event 2 and spreading to take over a village event 3 or is the army moving out and everything involved with it classed as 1 event?

2. You said that one class would have to learn all 139 skills, this kind of set alarm bells ringing for me. I struggle with SWTOR 30 plus, I like the idea of 10 skills but not if ive got to memorise over a hundred that need to be switched in and out.

I originally had no interest in this game but the more I see of it the more it's looking like a surefire buy.

Thanks for the write up.

Originally posted by brindleburn

2 questions

1. You said there are 1600 events, how is an event defined?  The example you gave was of an army moving out, is that classed as an event, then the army setting up a base if not stopped event 2 and spreading to take over a village event 3 or is the army moving out and everything involved with it classed as 1 event?

2. You said that one class would have to learn all 139 skills, this kind of set alarm bells ringing for me. I struggle with SWTOR 30 plus, I like the idea of 10 skills but not if ive got to memorise over a hundred that need to be switched in and out.

I originally had no interest in this game but the more I see of it the more it's looking like a surefire buy.

Thanks for the write up.

1. Based on the quote from an interview I got that example from, they said that all of those things stemmed from one single event, which was the Dredge army marching from their base. Though all of those things aren't ONE SINGLE event. So if you fail in protecting a village, that spawns a new event(s) and from there what happens spawns new event(s). It's kinda like a track where you're pusing a cart in different directions based on success/failure, though the track isn't just a linear one way path and has many different path. At least that's how I gather it works.

2. Well the Elementalist is quite the exception in this case, you won't really need to know 139 skills at once, but over time through using every weapon combination you will come across that many. So you'll need to know what they all do when you DO use them to be effective. As the Elementalist you'll have 25 skills at any given moment, so you'll have to learn those for sure, other classes you'll have 15 and their class mechanics.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

2 questions

Thanks for the write up.

If you look on the first map linked in the post, you see things like N3/4 Destroy/Hold.  This is indicating North side, two different events at this location.  There are 25 maps in the game and each of these maps has approximately 60 individual numbers on it.  25*60=1500, which is their initial estimate for the number of DEs they'd need.

The game rewards players each time an event ends, which allows them to drop in or out any time really.  You don't need to stay until the entire chain reaches its endpoint.

The elementalist is kind of a bad example because he has more skills than most and he puts them on the bar in a different way than normal.  Most classes have 5 skills from one weapon, 5 from another, 5 skills on the right side of the bar (1 heal, 3 utility, 1 elite) and then some additional skills from F1 through possibly F4 (adrenaline, stealing, virtues).  So 15+ at a time.

The Elementalist only uses one weapon at a time, but they have four attunements, so 5 fire, 5 water, 5 air, 5 earth, and 5 on the right side of the bar.  The F1-F4 switches these attunements.  Elementalist has 25 skills at a time.

You don't HAVE to memorize all these skills (though it will certainly help in PVP).  Start off slow, learn one weapon and one set of utility skills.  Slowly branch out into using more weapons whenever you feel comfortable.  By the time you reach the first dungeon (at level 35), you'll probably find you're a pro at all your different options and will be able to adapt new tactics to new boss fights as you need.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

Cool thanks for the answers,

one more question.. whens the release date :p

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Cool thanks for the answers,

one more question.. whens the release date :p

We'll tell you what ArenaNet keeps telling the rest of us. 

When it's ready.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

The best info collection so far!

Mods pls make this sticky!

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

As much as I would love it to release tomorrow  we still await the big detailed reveals on W v W v W and more guild stuff!

I hope they take the time to make those few remaining (and elusive) features as great as the rest of the game.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Wow! Amazing post. good work. Will definitely link this post to all my friends looking for guild wars 2 info!

Edit: And yea, please sticky this post :)

Currently Playing Path of Exile

OP, could you pls resize the pictures so their width can fit the page, otherwise good job!. Thanks!

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

Tyhis looks shit compared to Darkfall 2, no offense to the fan bois... Can't even play a 2v1 in this game? :/

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

2 questions

Thanks for the write up.

I believe all that is layered as one event, when I man by layered you'll get rewared for each part.

There is a map Cali had up showing it.

Also I really like this I hope it gets stickied.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by mrcjevans

Tyhis looks shit compared to Darkfall 2, no offense to the fan bois... Can't even play a 2v1 in this game? :/

wrong forum dude

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by thedarkess

wrong forum dude

I don't know I think he was being sarcastic ha ha.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Exactly!  I got my macros ready to roll! 

wrong forum dude

You can't cover shit with apple sauce and expect peopel to eat it.

Or repackage shit and put a 2 on the end and think it not have the same fate as the first piece of crap...

[Mod Edit] OP made a huge effort to bring us massive amount of info about this game. Kudos to him!

[Mod Edit] OP made a huge effort to bring us massive amount of info about this game. Kudos to him!

I would of thought my sarcasm was evident, when I said I had my macros ready to roll....

Sry, my sarcasm detection was off. I'm fighting with studies for 3 exams tommorow...

OP, could you pls resize the pictures so their width can fit the page, otherwise good job!. Thanks!

I would, but when I go to edit my post and save changes it says it's marked as spam and won't save...so yeah.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.