Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to those that are complaining.

Did many of you that desided to buy the game actually do research about this game?

After looking into this game and searching for imformation about it i desided to buy it.  It plays exactly how I thought it would from researching it.  The game is not a sand box.  The game is linear duh its story driven dialog, its much easier to make it linear than make it choose as you wish other wise conversaions will be messed up.

The game has BGs, little to no world PvP, raids.  What did all of you really expect?  Everything was laid out infront of you and Bioware hid nothing.  I am personally having a blast playing the game for what it is.  I really can not understand the complaints about it.

You knew it was a WoW clone with dialog + story driven quests.  What did you expect?

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

No amount of research captures how boring it can get.  On paper it looks like if you liked WoW you would like it, but that's apparently not the case. 

This seems like an odd thing to ask also.  Most fanboys will tell people who ask if they will like the game not to do research, but to just buy it and play it.  I'd like you to think about whether or not that's something you'd tell people.

• HofmeisterMHofmeisterM Member UncommonPosts: 17

Really? WoW Clone? Did anyone every think of how stupid that is? WoW was not the first to do the 'typical' mmorpg layout. There were a few games that were successful that came before it., aka Everquest for example. Man people are so dumb.

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by HofmeisterM

Really? WoW Clone? Did anyone every think of how stupid that is? WoW was not the first to do the 'typical' mmorpg layout. There were a few games that were successful that came before it., aka Everquest for example. Man people are so dumb.

You are correct HofmeisterM, but you need to take into account that many players started their gaming experience with WoW and can only reference gaming mechanics by what they have used/played - hence the abundant "WoW Clone" comments.

You need to be nicer to these uneducated players.

:)

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

WoW made mmorpgs massively popular and accessable. Tons of MMORPGS have came out since WoW more or less cloned because of it's success hence the WoW term. Most people are highly aware WoW wasnt the first made or even teh first to create it's current style ....FFS

ffs? lol im right what is so 'ffs' about that? Im aware WoW made the genre REALLY popular but it shows you how many wowtards actually exists by how popular that coined term is.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by onlinenow25

Did many of you that desided to buy the game actually do research about this game?

After looking into this game and searching for imformation about it i desided to buy it.  It plays exactly how I thought it would from researching it.  The game is not a sand box.  The game is linear duh its story driven dialog, its much easier to make it linear than make it choose as you wish other wise conversaions will be messed up.

The game has BGs, little to no world PvP, raids.  What did all of you really expect?  Everything was laid out infront of you and Bioware hid nothing.  I am personally having a blast playing the game for what it is.  I really can not understand the complaints about it.

You knew it was a WoW clone with dialog + story driven quests.  What did you expect?

SWTOR is not a wow clone at all. .. . Perhaps in quest design only.

SWTOR dissapointed me and suprised me because the world/zones did not give me the "wow" feeling ... they felt very confining.  ( In fact you can't even run between speeder points on some planets ( tatooine for example ) 

The world itself does not nearly have the depth and OPEN style that wow does.

SWTOR is the Most Linear game I have played in years, even more than BioWare Sinlge player  RPGs including DA, ME and ME2.

SWTor is more like "story areas" almost like a movie setting where obviously we don't see all of tatooine / Hoth / cloud city etc etc etc in the movies, TOR behaves like this in its design... WoW sure did not.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

ARRRGGG another of love/hate TOR threads i really wish the Mods would stamp on these and stop the blame bait threads.. getting really tiring

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

ffs? lol im right what is so 'ffs' about that? Im aware WoW made the genre REALLY popular but it shows you how many wowtards actually exists by how popular that coined term is.

The term works perfectly well. A clone of something that is a clone of another thing, is still a clone of that something. It is assumed that most clone-developers clone a famous clone rather than cloning the original, which practically means that they extract DNA from WoW directly rather than any of its predecessors.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I expected:

-Fluid combat. Not the delay nonsense we got with abilities not firing.

-An actual decent character creator. Anything short of Aions is not acceptable.

-More class quests and less filler. 70% of the quests are shared by every class which makes leveling alts dull. Better than most games but still dull.

-A decent UI. Seriously, what we got is junk. Why can't i resize and move everything? Why is there no target of target? Why can't i have 3 skill bars on the bottom?

-Guild functionality. How about for starters, a list that works. Perks. Something to build towards. I still can't invite people to group from the guild list. 

-A public quest system to encourage grouping and working together instead of against each other to complete tasks. Waiting for mobs to respawn instead of getting credit for helping someone out of party kill them is silly.

-Dye system

-Appearance tabs. Item modding is a good start but it needs to be expanded on.

-No daily's. Seriously, this is the best BW could come up with at 50? The entire concept needs to go.

If you cannot see what people are complaining about then i can't help you.

Alders be patient. So many games start out and people expect WoW Cataclysm right out the gate. Give SWTOR a while and they will have everything in working order. Seriously people, if your unhappy leave, if your happy stay and play.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Except companies arent trying to copy those past games.  They are trying to directly copy WoW.  Why?  Because WoW is perhaps the most successful game ever made.  Thus thats why games try to copy that SUCCESS. 

See how that works?  Therefore the term WoW clone is very valid especially in this case where Bioware said themselves they were modeling most of the games mechanics after......WOW.   Hence WoW clone. 

When developers decide to copy an mmorpg they look at WoW.  WoW might not have done it first, but it was the most successful at what it did.  Extremely successful.  Thus?  Thats whats copied. 

I get tired of trying to explain this to people like you.  Oh but its OTHER people who are dumb.   Right.....just keep telling yourself that.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Alders be patient. So many games start out and people expect WoW Cataclysm right out the gate. Give SWTOR a while and they will have everything in working order. Seriously people, if your unhappy leave, if your happy stay and play.

A game doesn't need mulitple expansions to have those things, that's a rather silly comment to make.

Weren't all those things Alders mentioned in Rift when it came out? 

It's also rather silly to think that just because someone read about a game before they played it that they shouldn't be disapointed with it, afterall they did read about it.  I followed darkfalls development for a couple of years, read all there was to read about it, that sure didn't prepare me for what I got when it released.

Reading about what something offers is not the same thing as experiencing it first hand.  I tried explaining how to paint lifelike coulds to my younger brother, which for me literally boils down to putting a little bit of paint on a round brush and scrubbing it onto the painting surface.  Literally just scrub the brush around until it looks like a cloud.  No amount of me telling him and showing him allows him to do it himself and he still wants me to paint clouds on his daughters bedroom ceiling. 

I don't care if you read a 300 page disertation on something, until you experience it first hand you have no idea what it's like.  A video game especially.

An incredibly pointless thread is incredibly pointless.  I gotta side with the person that said the mods should be squashing these sorts of threads.  It really does just boil down to flame baiting.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by onlinenow25

Sorry dude but they forgot to advertise "the most lifeless and dull mmo world around" on their hype machine......

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

[Mod Edit]

Yeeea....but its just a term used to identify a game as being very much "like" another.  Or a game thats modeled in mechanics based on another game. 

And again Bioware stated they were modeling this game AFTER WOW.  Does it not get any more clear to you? 

Its you who's not understanding a simple concept not the other way around. 

Its like I always say, " Being unintelligent is one thing.  Being incredibly stubborn and unintelligent?  Thats the worst mixture possible in a human being."

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Originally posted by Alders

I expected:

-Fluid combat. Not the delay nonsense we got with abilities not firing.

-An actual decent character creator. Anything short of Aions is not acceptable.

-More class quests and less filler. 70% of the quests are shared by every class which makes leveling alts dull. Better than most games but still dull.

-A decent UI. Seriously, what we got is junk. Why can't i resize and move everything? Why is there no target of target? Why can't i have 3 skill bars on the bottom?

-Guild functionality. How about for starters, a list that works. Perks. Something to build towards. I still can't invite people to group from the guild list. 

-A public quest system to encourage grouping and working together instead of against each other to complete tasks. Waiting for mobs to respawn instead of getting credit for helping someone out of party kill them is silly.

-Dye system

-Appearance tabs. Item modding is a good start but it needs to be expanded on.

-No daily's. Seriously, this is the best BW could come up with at 50? The entire concept needs to go.

If you cannot see what people are complaining about then i can't help you.

[Mod Edit]

Like i pointed out in my other responce, just released has nothing to do with what he was asking for.  Other games have all those things they day they release.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Many folks like SWOTR and enjoy the new story focused play style but...   

EA/Bioware spent a huge amount of Time, Money and Effort Hyping the game.   So players have a right to complain when many basic elements are poorly implemented.   Sure they can fix it after launch, heck they could redesign the entire game and add space pandas but that doesn't make ok to releasing it in the state they did.

You may be happy paying $ 50.00 for what SWOTR has to offer but many of us aren't and wanted more from EA/Bioware.  

So the Fanbois can go on crying about the complaints, trying to deflect the objective criticism and the dissapointed players can keep getting the word out that the game isn't worth it even with all the TV advertising and cool looking comercials.

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

Here is where your argument is invalid. Let me use an example.

Lets take Iphones.

Here's part of a table from WIkipedia, showing different features between generations of Iphones:

Features

USB 2.0/dock connector

In addition to previous:

assisted GPS,

includes earphones with mic

In addition to previous:

voice control, digital compass, Nike+, camera tap to focus (iOS 4.0+)

includes earphones with remote and microphone

In addition to previous:

3-axis gyroscope,

Dual-microphone noise suppression,

microSIM,

rear camera LED flash

In addition to previous:

Siri (beta) voice assistant and GLONASS support

If i was HTC and i wanted to put out a phone to compete with the Iphone, why would i not include these features? So i can put them in later, because Iphone didn't start out with all of the features? The mindset of  "Well 4 years ago, Iphone didn't have 3g, so i dont need 3g." doesn't apply ANYWHERE, so using that mindset to defend that a game doesn't work.

How about cars, if a 2012 Ford F-150 got 3 miles to the gallon like a 1950 Ford F-150, noone would buy that, because they can get a car from a competitor that has better gas mileage.

When people are exposed to something, like lets say the UI customization level of WoW, they start to take it for granted. When they take it for granted, if you take that away from them, they notice it, and it bugs them, and hurts their enjoyment.

If you notice, RIft, Aion, Guild Wars 1, WoW, basically EVERY MMO/CO RPG has UI customization for a reason. People expect it. EVERY video game sequel (ME1 vs ME2) has tried to improve on the formula of their predecessor (Oblivion vs Skyrim). WoW improved on it's predecessors (EQ, others) why shouldn't MMOs these days be expected to improve on THEIR predecessors.

The issue might be that the genre is oversaturated with games that are all "Wow-Clones" and not enough games that break the mould, and introduce something new. The consumers want to see improvement, but the companies see that they can make more money keeping that phone 3G instead of 4G because there's maybe 2 4G phones versus 20 3G, the 4G phones are not that popular, and the 3G is easier/faster to make.

TL;DR: If you make a product that doesn't improve on similar products that came before it, that product is described with one word: failure. However, if the market is stagnant (not changing for you illiterates), then we see what we do now. "New" product comes out, everyone floods the "New" thing and then they drop it. It seems that MMOs have hit a stage that I've nicknamed "Fad Gaming".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Ironic.  The difference between EQ1 and WOW is miles apart where as the difference between WOW and its many successors is a very small degree, not even fair to call WOW a clone of EQ1.... they really aren't that much alike at all.

Back to the OP, people bought the game because as many so often advise, no one can tell you whether or not you like a game, you have to try it for yourself first.

And its not surprising that with the huge backing behind this title they might have expected it to exceed what WOW currently offers in terms of features, but probably shouldn't have knowing EA's track record in the MMO space and Bioware's lack of experience in the same.

As to the complaining, all just part of forum PVP, but I have to ask the OP, why does he care so much?  It's just a game after all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

There are plenty of mmorpgs made before WOW that aren't WOW clones.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Kyleran

Ironic.  The difference between EQ1 and WOW is miles apart where as the difference between WOW and its many successors is a very small degree, not even fair to call WOW a clone of EQ1.... they really aren't that much alike at all.

Back to the OP, people bought the game because as many so often advise, no one can tell you whether or not you like a game, you have to try it for yourself first.

And its not surprising that with the huge backing behind this title they might have expected it to exceed what WOW currently offers in terms of features, but probably shouldn't have knowing EA's track record in the MMO space and Bioware's lack of experience in the same.

As to the complaining, all just part of forum PVP, but I have to ask the OP, why does he care so much?  It's just a game after all.

Well once upon a time there was a lot to care about, but due to the American and European crisis and soon Chinese crisis too,  it is really easy to stop caring : ).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

They certainly are not clones, but they also are not miles appart.  Both are typical MMO games. With all the typical MMO components. What exactly did WoW have at release that EQ did not have?   (seemles world, more accessible quest system, Instanced dungeons) but not much more...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

They certainly are not clones, but they also are not miles appart.  Both are typical MMO games. With all the typical MMO components. What exactly did WoW have at release that EQ did not have?   (seemles world, more accessible quest system, Instanced dungeons) but not much more...

Well, aside from the quest based character progression (which was a major shift in MMO design first seen in AC2) and a level of soloability previously unseen before in a major MMORPG title it would be better to look at all the things they threw away in creating WOW rather than how much they retained.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by rutaq

EA/Bioware spent a huge amount of Time, Money and Effort Hyping the game.   So players have a right to complain when many basic elements are poorly implemented.   Sure they can fix it after launch, heck they could redesign the entire game and add space pandas but that doesn't make ok to releasing it in the state they did.

You may be happy paying $ 50.00 for what SWOTR has to offer but many of us aren't and wanted more from EA/Bioware.  

So the Fanbois can go on crying about the complaints, trying to deflect the objective criticism and the dissapointed players can keep getting the word out that the game isn't worth it even with all the TV advertising and cool looking comercials.

This has nothing to with EA/Bioware,.... these boards are full whinny grown ups bitching over the same shit. If it's not about SWTOR eventually it will be about GW2 not having a feature that most MMO's have. It will be the same fucking agruement different title.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Originally posted by rutaq

This has nothing to with EA/Bioware,.... these boards are full whinny grown ups bitching over the same shit. If it's not about SWTOR eventually it will be about GW2 not having a feature that most MMO's have. It will be the same fucking agruement different title.

Exactly, lots of SWTOR fanboys are going to become GW2 fanboys when their next big thing gets boring after 2 months.

Just like what happened to Rift fanboys :(

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

People need to calm down,  way too much raging in the threads.  Log into tor and blow off some steam by pk'ing a few peeps,  if you can find anyone that is  Lol

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

This discussion has been closed.