Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Typhon & Mourningstar Brought to Life

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red5 Studios has a new video out showing how a pair of Firefall characters are being brought to life. Former American Gladiator Lee Reherman talks about becoming Typhon and viewers will also see the completed suit for Crystal Graziano's Mourningstar. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

and this matters to the game, how?

• newerarnewerar Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Sector13

Its cosplay for this game?

Originally posted by newerar

Interesting to know that they find this more important to make then, you know, working on releasing thier game. I guess if we get a disappointing game we can still be thankful for the cosplay videos, we really needed them to like the game.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

it is ok... The marketing division makes for shitty coders any way and video producers are usualy lazy texture artists.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

it is ok... The marketing division makes for shitty coders any way and video producers are usualy lazy texture artists.

Good to know some of the investors money went into wasting time cause the marketing team was bored.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

This does divert attention from the fact that they were supposed to launch in december. Can't wait to try it out. Hopefully sooner than later.

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

Not many shooters can keep my interest like Firefall

• DraakanDraakan Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Arquiteto

This does divert attention from the fact that they were supposed to launch in december. Can't wait to try it out. Hopefully sooner than later.

In no way shape or form did R5 say they would launch commercialy in December. They stated that they would start to ramp up a soft open beta if you could call it that even. Many many people took it at a launch and it took the r5 team a long time to make it known that that information was indeed wrong. So now everyone and thier sister thinks it should have launched in Dec.  I can see the confusion, and agree that I should have been stamped out harder and faster. The game will be by invite and slowly build up numbers as they can see fit.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Should have gotten Malibu, or maybe that Turbo guy.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• newerarnewerar Member Posts: 5

Interesting to know that they find this more important to make then, you know, working on releasing thier game. I guess if we get a disappointing game we can still be thankful for the cosplay videos, we really needed them to like the game.

Yes, you right developers who actualy making Firefall woke up one morning and diecide to make cosplay armor... Gamedesingers are siting in their office and making the game.

Yes, you right developers who actualy making Firefall woke up one morning and diecide to make cosplay armor... Gamedesingers are siting in their office and making the game.

Proof? How do you know they aren't sitting around waiting for beta info for changes? You're assuming like myself. Plus that doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of money that could be spent more on to the game and not worthless videos.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

You do know that there are separate marketing and development budgets, right? ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Originally posted by SBFord

You do know that there are separate marketing and development budgets, right? ;)

You do know that bugests all comes from investors that get allocated to those departments from people that should be monitoring that money and if one department doesn't need it then it holds it for more important issues incase something comes up in other departments, right?  If you try and tell me that this video convinced more people to try the game then you're fooling yourself. It was just as pointless as the Rift After Dark video.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Arquiteto

The only stated thing about December was that it was going to most likely see the release of the in-game store, as well as another round of beta invites. They have not once said December was going to be the games official release date. Instead, if people ever bothered to actually read anything, that the game will just continue to open up its beta until they just remove the tag and let everyone in.

It's a F2P title anyways, and how many F2P titles are ever "fully" released? 70-80% Just stay in "beta" because there is no point to announce a release date once the shop is open anyways.

• rx8993rx8993 Member UncommonPosts: 17

{mod edit}... All of this is just marketing and it will do nothing but help game "sell" better... Its all normal, every game company does it... They didnt say anything when they will release it, exept when it should there is difference between those two...  {mod edit}

• letteralexletteralex Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by rx8993

{mod edit}

.. All of this is just marketing and it will do nothing but help game "sell" better... Its all normal, every game company does it... They didnt say anything when they will release it, exept when it should there is difference between those two... 

{mod edit}

+1 :) Too many nabs trying to come up with something witty to say. Personally i enjoy the little things like this... keeps my interest till the actual game is released ^_^

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

Originally posted by letteralex

Originally posted by rx8993

{mod edit}

All of this is just marketing and it will do nothing but help game "sell" better... Its all normal, every game company does it... They didnt say anything when they will release it, exept when it should there is difference between those two... 

{mod edit}

+1 :) Too many nabs trying to come up with something witty to say. Personally i enjoy the little things like this... keeps my interest till the actual game is released ^_^

Exactly! Though there are folks on this damn site who think they have all the right answers.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by SBFord

and then there is a budget for cosplay lol ... i would of wanted to play the game without this vid ... but i guess they try to keep ppl focused on the game ... would of done a better job with an actuall ingame vid ... give us firefall already ... i want to cosplay online not in real life cause i'm not that kind of a pervert like some i see posting here that liked it lol

• grummzgrummz Member Posts: 56

Hi, I'm Mark Kern, the CEO of Red 5 Studios, makers of Firefall.

We do have a seperate marketing budget. Rather than buy banner ads that don't really work anyways, we decided to use our Marketing budget to do cool things that have more impact. Firefall cosplay is only one small part of that, and Typhon and Mourningstar are going to be appearing in that armor at 6-10 events this year. The events are really what we built them for.

The high quality of the video and production is because we've realized that all game marketing right now is shifting to video. Screenshots and text blogs don't really cut it anymore. We invested in creating a little digital film dept inside of Red 5 called the "Chop Shop" which will produce all our gameplay videos, behinds the scenes, dev diaries and yes, even little documentaries like this one.

It does cost money, but we feel its surprisingly affordable compared to other avenues of marketing such as incredibly expensive ads. Ads cost $15,000 - $30,000 per month on a *single* site, and we shoot video for far less, especially since we have invested in our own staff and equipment so we can do lots of these. It used to cost us $70,000 to produce a gameplay trailer out of house, and now we can do them far cheaper, at higher quality, and soon, more frequently.

Thanks for all the interest in Red 5 and Firefall!

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

You can spend all the money you like but once PlanetSide 2 releases your game will be a wasteland .... ;)

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56

well if it costs u less and its not just one vid but a few appearance then its ok with me ... still i would like to see some ingame vids ... or even better a OB or release so i can play :D ... oh well i will wait till u go in OB or release or maybe i'll get an invite sometime before OB/release ... till then all the best and hope for a sooner release :D

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Saorlan

You can spend all the money you like but once PlanetSide 2 releases your game will be a wasteland .... ;)

Hmm... SOE is involved so I wouldn't really bet my house on it.

And besides, FF has videos and playable demos out there and the feedback ranges from positive to extatic. Planetside still has just a few trailers showing off bland landscapes and dull depersonalized grey-brown uniforms.

I'm following both, ofc, but FF at the moment appears to be much more imaginative AND polished. 

Compare  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYep1BdfrMc with http://youtu.be/3g9xRCxWWd0. Dunno about you but FF looks light years ahead of PS2 at the moment, but who knows? Miracles can happen and SOE may yet make a fun mmo.

Planetside was one of my favorite games. I'm looking forward to PS2.

That said, Firefall offers a very different experence. We have huge open world PvE co-op play, fighitng off Chosen invasions, locating and refining Crystite resources into tech modules to upgrade your battleframes, and a story campaign.

There is room for both games. And Firefall will also feature open world PvP in the future.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by grummz

Planetside was one of my favorite games. I'm looking forward to PS2.

That said, Firefall offers a very different experence. We have huge open world PvE co-op play, fighitng off Chosen invasions, locating and refining Crystite resources into tech modules to upgrade your battleframes, and a story campaign.

There is room for both games. And Firefall will also feature open world PvP in the future.

Whoah! Really?! That's great news!

Btw, nice seeing you here! It's awesome to have a lead dev/CEO appear on these here humble forums. ;) No, really, you're doing stellar work and I love the understated way you're going with your pr and everything... you really seem so sure of the quality of your game that you don't need all that big loud advertising. You're setting up a core of game connosieurs at cons and such who are going to spread your game around - a smart strategy, indeed.

Personally, when I see something splattered all over the web and TV I start asking myself "Why do these guys need to advertise so much? If it's a good game it'll sell itself for its quality and word of mouth." I really have a good feeling about FF in that regard... You do not push it, but everybody who comes in contact with it has nothing but praise. Imo it'll pay you off immensely in the long run.

A little question though, a speculation... Why the delay? The stuff I saw in demos and such seems to work smoothly... Is it because massive persistent PvE needs network polishing (current leading theory) or... is it because you decided to implement open world PvP before the official release (omfg, faint! :) )

Well, I came from Blizzard, so "it's done when it's done" runs deeply in my veins. :)

But really...what we are working on now is the Open World. It takes a lot longer to do that than the PvP aspect. We don't have a release date, but bring the game up in phases of features and content. Each phase is accompanied by more testers. At some point, the store will be brought online, but the game will still be in beta but with even more users. At some point, we drop the beta tag altogether and let users invite whoever they want.