Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus?

Comments

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by Jyiiga

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by nikoliath

Originally posted by Vegetto

Its UK prime time on a friday and im the only guild member online, my tally of seeing other people is at 2, one ironically was on my friends list :O.

I would switch servers, but apparenly its 'Heavy', i got the short straw i think, never had a group, won a wwarzone or spoke more than few lines of chat to anyone who answers back. wtf :/

I play on a US pvp server, twin spires... It's busy all round the clock.

Looking at server populations now, US servers are Light / Standard with a few at Heavy. EU servers are Standard to Very Heavy, with one or two at FULL, no Light servers at all, they were that about 5-8 hours ago as well, EU servers are more populated than US servers, unless US servers hold more people?

Half the servers of both EU and US were at FULL around the 19th/20th Dec - populations are going down.

Bioware has given us no real indication of how big the artificial cap was..........

^

This, nothing like a server population "arguement" trying to indicate a loss of players when Bioware has stated many times they are controlling the server cap to control and evenly distribute the player polulation.

Arguement debunked.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Raora

Originally posted by kalinis

no one is bailing on this game. i play usually from 2pm to 5 pm est and 11pm to 3 am est time most ime and servers are usually heavy to full with a few that used to be light going at standard. 

So no people arent bailing on this game. They fixed how many people could be on at one time before u hit a que so when u hit the numbers u had on before u still dont get a que. 

So no players arent leaving in droves at least not in my experiance. 

The first bit there is unrealistic, saying that "no one is bailing on this game" as everyone has different tastes so some people will bail on this game.

Originally posted by Raora

Just got back with dinner with 6 friends, four of whom I knew were playing SWTOR. After starting to get into details I fin out that all but 1 of them were in TOR and absolutely loving the game as I am and have NO plans on leaving anytime soon. While talking I did not hear one negative comment about it. Unlike these boards.

I like the game and will play it thoroughly but I do not see myself playing it once I have completed all classes and maxed them out.

With SWG I played that solidly from July 2003 to Dec 16th 2011, and if it did not get shut down, I would have subbed and played that game forever, and with many extra accounts too. Most people who got stuck into it felt that way too. Its systems kept you hooked even once maxed out.

I feel the same about other MMOs too, but they do seem to have more things to tinker with in game, than what SWTOR currently has. Hopefully this stuff will get added before most people have maxed their characters. In EQ2 there are tonnes of classes and races to choose from so has more longevity, and an interesting crafting system, not as good as SWG but adequate enough to play with longer than SWTOR but less than SWG.

Basically looking at this game for short term, there is nothing wrong with it, and I have nothing negative to say about it, but looking long term there is.

You lost me at kept playing after the NGE. SWG was a shell of a game after the NGE. And there is NO contest between the NGE and TOR.

I too plan on playing every class, that being said, I do not level fast. I played EQ2 for 6 years after I left SWG. I had 8 characters between level 42 and 58 and none to max level because I love leveling character versus just grinding to max. I see TOR giving me minimum 6 year just to get to where I was in EQ2. And that is just fine with me.

TOR is a shell of a game of the NGE. TOR has even less professions, restricted space, no Beast Master, no Entertainers, no player cities, dumbed down crafting, no seasonal events, less openness which other MMOs have.

TOR just seems like an enhanced version of the Legacy quests in SWG that came with the NGE,  but then nothing else. Although Flashpoints are like Heroics, but I was not too keen on them anyway.

Crafting is what kept me in SWG. Then there was Beast Master which I reckon was just as good as CH/BE, although not the same, but crafting kept me too busy to get stuck into that. I also liked flying around in space, could not get enough of it. The crafting in TOR is just weak, the companion system is not as good as beast/droid companions in SWG an you can not even make your own, and there is no space to explore to your hearts content.

Yup, they basically took SWG, removed what made it unique and what was left they stripped down even further and wrapped it up in fancy clothes.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Zezel

Originally posted by Jyiiga

Originally posted by nikoliath

Its UK prime time on a friday and im the only guild member online, my tally of seeing other people is at 2, one ironically was on my friends list :O.

I would switch servers, but apparenly its 'Heavy', i got the short straw i think, never had a group, won a wwarzone or spoke more than few lines of chat to anyone who answers back. wtf :/

I play on a US pvp server, twin spires... It's busy all round the clock.

Looking at server populations now, US servers are Light / Standard with a few at Heavy. EU servers are Standard to Very Heavy, with one or two at FULL, no Light servers at all, they were that about 5-8 hours ago as well, EU servers are more populated than US servers, unless US servers hold more people?

Half the servers of both EU and US were at FULL around the 19th/20th Dec - populations are going down.

Bioware has given us no real indication of how big the artificial cap was..........

^

This, nothing like a server population "arguement" trying to indicate a loss of players when Bioware has stated many times they are controlling the server cap to control and evenly distribute the player polulation.

Arguement debunked.

At this stage I doubt they want the servers to indicate medium or less no matter what the actual cap may be, bad advertising.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Its way too early to predict doom and gloom their advertising campaign hasnt even started properly.  Most of my friends are still playing it with 0 quitters.

And oh btw theres less people playing the week after new year when schools and work restart oooooo shock horror! But I suppose most trolls on this site do not work or educate themselves at an institution.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Just created a few alts in multiple Servers and is finding that the populations are very healthy, and finding that Empire is still more heavy in most of the Servers. Especially in the Beginning Planets. Was put in Que in a couple of them, there are definitely peak times and off times, but in this game when the planets are so big, even when it said there is 100 players, you are not going to always bump into them. Gotta see what is happening after the holiday rush is over, because the hardcore players that blasted through story contents are not going to want to go through the story contents for other alts, those that likes the story contents are too busy playing.

I semi rushed, still haven't finish my Chapter 2 for my class on my Main, but is enjoying the PVP that is offered. ( fix that Champion bag RNG please )

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Wicoa

Its way too early to predict doom and gloom their advertising campaign hasnt even started properly.  Most of my friends are still playing it with 0 quitters.

And oh btw theres less people playing the week after new year when schools and work restart oooooo shock horror! But I suppose most trolls on this site do not work or educate themselves at an institution.

Many high schools started back up jan 3rd or 4th, but most colleges at least where I'm from keep closed a week longer.  Many people had to work between christmas and jan 1st, but anyone who did probably isn't some sort of insane gamer anyways.

The servers died down a lot before new years and stayed down.  You can bury your head in the sand if that makes you happy, but refrain from posting while doing so.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by Torgrim

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

I wouldn't site this forum as a serious resource. 

No Forum about a video game, especially an mmo can be used as a serious resource

Obviously if you purchased the game and are enjoying it you are too busy having fun and playing to come post on forums.

If you didnt like the game and now have nothing to do your prolly going to go to a forum to bash it.

But wait... you're here posting about it. 

So... we can only assume you don't like the game?

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

90% (accurate figure) of my guild have stopped logging in.

I know this for a fact as not only have me or the other couple people not seen them, but their levels haven't changed. All stopped around levels 16-25. All around last week.

Maybe they made a new toon?

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• RawluRawlu Member Posts: 7

“Mass Exodus?”...

From other MMO’s to SWTOR?, ABSOLUTELY!.

The American servers are running at full capacity? & the European servers are burning up!, literally!, almost all RED last I looked! LOL!.

Yup! I’d say thats quite the 'mass exodus'!...LOL!.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

My entire WoW guild moved to SWTOR. I haven't seen the members this active or happy to login and play in years.

The server populations are solid and during prime time 1/3 of the servers have login queues.

The Fleet Space Station is always a busy hub of activity and lots of people are leveling multiple alts simultaneously.

We are having fun playing SWTOR. Go beat-up on Guild Wars 2 or Planetside 2 if you are bored.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

I haven't logged on in about a week; however, this is due to the fact that myself and thousands of others are still having issue with corrupt patches...a problem that has been here since beta. I think the game's OK, but it's not worth putting up with poor customer service.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Originally posted by n00bit

I haven't logged on in about a week; however, this is due to the fact that myself and thousands of others are still having issue with corrupt patches...a problem that has been here since beta. I think the game's OK, but it's not worth putting up with poor customer service.

Have to say this seems to be troublesome, hasn't effected me yet but even the reviews mention this. An experienced company like EA really should put more effort into customer service for a game like this, it is very bad publicity when things like support doesn't work.

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

I don't think the situation could be described as a 'mass exodus', but people are leaving. Granted SWTOR may be great for some people, and if you enjoy it, that's awesome, go have fun. However, for others they don't find it so, and they are leaving. How many people are leaving, I have no idea. I've had friends who played the hell out of it, but quickly got bored.

I think this has to do with how the game is designed, and while the story might provide alot of positives, it also pushes some negatives. Firstly I think, is that players get all wrapped up in their 'personal story', and then when that story ends, and after they've done it with a couple classes, the veneer starts to peel. They realize how repetative and cookie cutter things really are, and how the experience isn't all that different from previous titles. Specifically if there is a certain aspect they like, there is probably a game that they think did it better, so they return to that game.

Honestly, I see some small cracks beginning to emerge, and with history as an indicator, SWTOR won't be the huge smash success some people think it could have been, and those cracks will enlargen. SWTOR certainly isn't going to de-thrown WOW, and I think in the future, it will have a hard time competing with other titles. That isn't to say it won't be a major title in the line-up, but after time players will see it wasn't really all that innovative.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by Royalkin

How many people are leaving, I have no idea. I've had friends who played the hell out of it, but quickly got bored.

That seems to be the case across the board, if you check out the server statistics. They go in spikes, people appear and the numbers boost for a few days, then they drop back down again, each time getting lower and lower on the down spikes. The highest peak so far has been a total population of 800,000, with the lowest at about 380,000. That's a HUGE drop.

If you were to take only the peak of each curve, then it started at 800,000 and is currently at about 580,000. If you consider that new people are still buying into the game, that means there must be a massive drop off rate.

• NeoCountNeoCount Member Posts: 10

You all seem to forget a "small" detail here: SWTOR wasn't released in most countries around the world (only in USA and about 20 EU countries).

They said it was done to control the influx of players at launch. Of course it wasn't... in my opinion,  it's a brilliant marketting strategy (someone at EA/Bioware done their homework on the MMO subscription patterns).

The moment they will feel players are leaving the game in large numbers, they will start selling SWTOR in more and more countries, thus keeping constant stream of new players into the game. I guess it's their idea of how to show the game is successful, i.e. full servers with new fresh players,  for more than few months (no flame here at all, but in recent years all MMOs started big and lost most player base within 2-4 months after release).

Do I like it? Not really being a "red zoner" myself, but I suppose it's a good decision business-wise from their point of view.

Point is, we wont see "mass exodus" WAR-style in SWTOR, since at least for the coming months there will always be an influx of new players (again, my opinion).

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

There are still 25 minute queues on my server on peak hours. And other servers in Europe show up as heavy or full then as well, so no.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SonicspeedSonicspeed Member Posts: 31

I play in Europe, and there are not many English servers on Standard population left, most are heavy and above. Where I play there are more ppl everyday, however we should wait another 1 or 2 month and see how many ppl are left.

Whatever

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

on xfire it is the 5th most popular game and climbing.   Also top 3 on other sites.     As for people not playing or have stopped playing, think that has something to do with school being back in session in the US.    Holidays are over for the most part.

Sure there will be a drop of players after 30 days is up.   But all games are like that.   Many will be back when there are more patches.

I don't know why so many negitive people post things about this game.   But it will not be a failure that is for sure.   Anyone not blinded by emo hate can see that.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Wookiee6648

I don't know why so many negitive people post things about this game.   But it will not be a failure that is for sure.   Anyone not blinded by emo hate can see that.

They post because they don't like the game... and it's one of the most overhyped games in the history of gaming.

The game won't be a failure since the IP alone can maintain it... but it's a personal dissapointment for many people who wanted a fresh new mmo to play.

..Cake..

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

Most of the people saying that probably never had the game in the first place. People on here are so full of shit.

If they have left, they forgot to unsubscibe and stop paying - http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111223-0

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Its not to big a leap that many people are leaving.  When a game launches, there is a lot of hype and people buy the game not knowing what its gonna be like.  Then the game comes out; they realize its not their cup of tea and they leave.  

99% of the time, MMOs are going to lose people after the game launches.  Its natural MMO evolution.  Nothing to worry about

I self identify as a monkey.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Anyone that is already max level has seriously no life and has rushed through an excellent story just so they can be max level. How sad for them.

This game is good, take your time, explore, and you know - get a life as well as play this game.

Level 50 already? You sad sad sad person you.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

90% (accurate figure) of my guild have stopped logging in.

I know this for a fact as not only have me or the other couple people not seen them, but their levels haven't changed. All stopped around levels 16-25. All around last week.

I can believe that, there is something about the 20ish mark. My first toon i thought maybe it was the class. I rolled a new one and around 18 started a third. Got my third one to 21 and lost interest again, I've now switched to the empire and rolled a Bounty Hunter.

So far this has made a big difference, he's almost to mount level and haven't lost interest as the story is excellent! Maybe it's a matter of finding the right story and class?

EDIT:

Yeah it should go without saying i love this class as well, went Mercenary. I think i found the other three class's i played where exciting as all get out at first but fizzled out along the way as not allot changed by 20's, felt like i was doing the same rotations since level 4.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

nope, the servers are still packed and every time i look most of them say "heavy" in their status.

people are simply loving this game and you vast minority of players who don't like this game or any games like it need to cope with the fact that you definitely are the minority.

• Close to prime time in the EU (I think) and here's the population distribution:

24 full

21 very heavy

38 heavy

8 standard

Assuming "standard" is the desired population on serers, unless the people planning on mass exodusing for some odd reason are relentlessly playing a game they hate, BioWare will need to roll out some more servers. Soon.

On xfire SWTOR has also beaten itself in played time this weekend, so at least the xfire users seem to be playing more.