Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Official SWTOR Review

Comments

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

I too felt that the review score did not reflect the negatives raised.  DeeWe has also given a review which if combined with the original review would possibly be closer to the mark.  I am playing this game on my 6 empire characters, I love crafting so want to make full use of crafting to support each of my characters.  I am however only subbed for one month at a time.  I still get moments where I am a bit like meh about this game which is always a bit of an indicator that I am not truely "into" it.  That said it's retail launch was less than a month ago I am still in the free period and will watch with interest what get patched and improved over the next few months at least.

The UI is really clunky so for me that would be a priority for the devs to address.  I will not race to endgame I far prefer to enjoy the journey and I do love the story arcs, Tarro Blood I WILL take you down.

I suspect that as ever many of us are feeling the effect of post hype reality.  shame that companies have to raise our expectations so high with hype to draw us in for the reality can almost never live up to what our imaginations and dreams would have for us.

It is 4 months till April and the next big release on my MMO horizon (The Secret World) so SWTOR has at least that long to get me addicted.  Having said that in 5 months we shall still all be here having launched into another AAA game and then bitching about how it did not live up to the Hype, seems to go with the territory.  So why don't we all just accept now that TSW will also launch to the sort of problems that will only ever come to light when 100,000's all try to jump into a new game on launch day.

I would however like to say thank you to the developers who despite all the brickbats thrown at them continue to put out games and take our money for despite all the hate given to almost every game that ever gets launched I supect that it only comes from some deep wish for the next great game to immerse us. 

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Hidon

This smells about as bought as your average Funcom review. Great PvP? Yeah, no. It's currently an unmitigated disaster and PvPers are leaving in droves. At least try to be subtle if you're going to be pocketing EA's money. Is there truly no honor left in this questionable profession?

Now thats a load of garbage. Nice try though. Fear mongering doesn't work in any part of society from politics to games.

Fear mongering doesn't work in politics? Weapons of Mass Destruction anyone? Fear mongering is a large part of politcs. I don't see it having quite as large of an impact on games, but politics are really another matter entirely.

imageimage
  • Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Paragus1

I respectfully disagree with the score.  The PvP in this game is a complete debacle, and even if you think it plays better than WAR (which is up for serious debate), the fact is Warhammer launched with more structure in place.   WAR had more PvP battlegrounds and at least tried to have meaningful centralized objectives.   Realize of course we are also comparing the PvP in this game to Warhammer, which is hardly the bar we should be looking at to step over, especially given the silly amount of crowd control.

I think the innovation here is excessive voice acting and....well that's it.  But in other areas, the game actually takes a step backwards like the UI as mentioned here.  In the world of theme parks MMO, TOR is somewhere between mediocre and OK (remove the lore of Star wars and look at it objectively).   A lot of other theme park games have better graphics, better customization, better PvP, and better longevity at the cost of no voice acting.  I don't think we should be rating longevity before the free month is up because I have a feeling that about 6-8 weeks post launch when people start capping out, retention is going to take a serious hit.

Just my 2 cents.

Dude

You sat on these boards, and proceeded to tell everyone how wonderful Darkfall was, yet we are supposed to take your grading, of a themepark,  as legitimate?

Between mediocre and OK? That is the score you should of started with on Darkfall, and subtracted from there.  PVE is the main focus in this game, and BW has given us a hell of a lot of content to chew thru. Not only that, but we have VO to set the stage for why we are doing said content. For those the game appeals to, BW really hit a home run. Sort of like your love for all things DF.

It is fine you are a PVP/sandbox enthusiest. When it comes to what makes us themepark fans happy, you really should log into DF, and leave the conversation for those that know what they are looking for.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Another great example why nowadays print- and online "reviews" can't be trusted anymore especially in terms of games from big sweatshoplike publishers.

The best review will always be playing on your own and then decide thankfully I did so. Bioware to me has lost the ability to create a breathing open world with RPG elements since Baldurs Gate, their games have pretty much become interactive movies filled with tons of FPSlike elements (ie. Mass Effect 2, DA 2).

btw. you guys should seriously think about adding a game-filter so its easier to find news about the games one is interested in.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Review was over-hyped but at least on time.

I would give Rift a 7, SWtOR a 7.5, Lotro an 8 (but score going down). You can find gaming reviews that do not give hyped up scores, but not in the mainstream.

The main things he missed were that it can be hard sometimes to find a crafting template you actually want. The graphics are sub standard, a 9 is crazy, a 6 for graphics would be tops. Black Talon is the Flashpoint with the most story after that they are far more linear. The PvP scenarios/warzones are better than Rift but no where near as good as Warhammers. UI was mentioned but is more frustrating than he indicates.

Old issues remain; crafting has little point, end game is very limited, PvP does not mean anything to the game world. But you don’t address old chestnuts like that in a uber-positive review. Still I give SwtOR a 7.5, one of the best MMO’s out there to my mind.

The score he gave was way too high, but gaming 'reporters' years ago ate the gaming review system and shat it out. Par the course really.

• pioanstefanpioanstefan Member UncommonPosts: 15

what about PVP = ?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

No matter I'm Wow lover with reason to be and I love a lot Rift, this game simply rocks. Playing it only since release in EU, but my list is now 1. WOW, 2. SWTOR, 3.RIFT. Swtor is greatest surprise over last years. About score, if I would give to wow 10, then swtor deserves at least 9.5. About social part and 7.5 ... i could not care less for that. MMO does not mean one have to group play ... I find more fun and challenging to try solo. More planning, more fun. And when I'm in group I have tendency just to run through with rest not following at all what is quest about. And I love to read carefully (at least with first alt) story telling and rest. No problem for gruping however for end game. But I'm the person that enjoys trip and not only final destination. So as long I have alts to play through this awesome game .... I do not care not even minimally about end game.

Swtor is incredible game (have all reppublic alts up to 22 only as I'm altholic) and I'm sure is here to stay for loooong. As I hope for wow and Rift. With this 3 I have found my gaming needs are covered for next 10 years at least. :-)) I like to try new games but before Rift and Swtor was always looking for something even close to wow (as for quality of game play, whole game, ....) but now for the first time at my 50 years I'm just looking forward new releases for this trio.

Btw, my opinion above also excludes pvp experience as I could not care less for pvp as I currently do.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am sorry to say but this review is nothing short of a farce. First of all, no way this game in the year of 2011-12 can score 9 with the gfx it has. Sure the artistic value is high but the textures and technology used is so low that it is so apparent. I mean the grass, the water and the trees look like they do in WAR. It should not get any higher than 7.

And then gameplay 9 as well? Oh please, the story is good but you are just following the story and the choices you make has NO IMPACT. Why is that not mentioned?

Also beside the story the world is static and lifeless. The mobs rarely move and there is little ambient effects and other than Flashpoints there is not much to do beside the typical fetch this, kill that quests. Zero innovation here.

And PvP? This is the biggest joke of the review because it is so poorly implemented that even vanilla WoW was better in this regard. Three warfronts, with no way of selecting which one which means you are forced to do the ridicilous huttball even if you hate it, which I do.

World PvP is non existant and completely pointless. There is one persistant PvP dedicated zone, which you can completely ignore because it does not affect the conflict between the two sides. Actually nothing you can do affects the conflict, it is completely static.

This game is not a good MMORPG, it is a terrible one. It is a decent single player/co-op RPG but that is about it. It has poor replay value and does not at all use the Sith vs Jedi conflict in any meaningful way.

Shame on you MMORPG.COM for this review.. shame on you.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Yamota

*opinionated rant*

I feel for you detractors. So much people having a very good time with SWTOR, the reviews reflecting that, Bioware en route to address the most urgent problems and shortcomings and having a good picture about what people want to have added in the long term ...

I understand people still lashing out, like they have been doing for months, but it's starting to look more an more desperate.

Time to shift your perspectives I guess; Swtor is a big hit in our neck of the gaming woods. Accept it and move on. ^_^

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Yamota

*opinionated rant*

I feel for you detractors. So much people having a very good time with SWTOR, the reviews reflecting that, Bioware en route to address the most urgent problems and shortcomings and having a good picture about what people want to have added in the long term ...

I understand people still lashing out, like they have been doing for months, but it's starting to look more an more desperate.

Time to shift your perspectives I guess; Swtor is a big hit in our neck of the gaming woods. Accept it and move on. ^_^

Typical fan response without adressing any of the points brought up.

What is the big hit? The ancient GFX? The ridicilous PvP? The linear stories which you cannot affect in any way or sort? The same type of combat which we have seen since the last 5-6 years? The lack of housing and persistant space travel/combat in a STAR WARS game?

This game is nothing but a disguised single player game. A good one at that, which is why people are having fun, but if they open their eyes and look past all the voice overs and single player storylines you should notice that there is nothing there.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

It's a fair review but how the hell can the crafting be considered fun?

You click a button and someone else goes off and does whatever for you, it's more passive then wows crafting.

You literaly click a button and go do other things and then the things get brought to you.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Visceral "Star Wars" combat... and how is crafting ever going to be fun?

Honestly, I tried to read the review, then I saw "TOR’s PvP is basically a better balanced evolution of Warhammer Online’s PvP."  That isn't even... F... I... I don't even know how to respond to that. I mean that line might be THE most incorrect statement I've heard this month, and considering republican primaries and caucus this and caucus that have been going on, that really says something.

At most Illum can be compared to Wintergrasp, Alderaan civil war could be the most pointless battle in Star Wars history, and Huttball is just a bloodsport.

At least Warhammer had pvp brackets.

Maybe in a year or two, you can compare Warhammer PvP to SWTOR pvp, in the sense that a fresh level 50 will not stand a chance against a BiS level 50, yay gear grinds!

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Originally posted by moosecatlol

At least Warhammer had pvp brackets.

Maybe in a year or two, you can compare Warhammer PvP to SWTOR pvp, in the sense that a fresh level 50 will not stand a chance against a BiS level 50, yay gear grinds!

At least in patch 1.1 they are introducing a lvl 50 only bracket.

Im not a pvp player, in fact I hate pvp. But this is why I know that this story driven games are made for pve players, not pvp. A game with the ammount of different stats and item can never be fully balanced.

Guild Wars is a PvP game, at least the first, because all the armors had the exact same stats to everyone, there was no BiS, every item was BiS.

PvP players should not expect SWTor to ever fit their needs, but I guess only time will tell

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Usually I'm fairly happy that people are having such a good time, even in such a mediocre game.

But really... this is the absolute reason why the MMO genre for the last decade has crawled to a standstill.

What do you think will happen when investors look at a potential new game and see it isn't anything like all these themepark games that score 8+ but it has more features in common with games that get flamed all day long like Darkfall.. actually I would go so far as to say Darkfall is a better MMO than SW:TOR is. Hell.. NWN is a better MMO than SW:TOR!

And no, I'm not 'a sanbox guy' before anyone says it. I couldn't get myself into EvE the same way I have done previous games and my most anticipated games are GW2 and ArcheAge, hardly the crown of sandbox achievement.

SW:TOR would have been nice, 6 years ago.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Aroich1

(mod edit)

Considering that there hasnt been a single bad review of the game anywhere credible, perhaps its time to face the fact that its just a good game, and millions of people agree.

If you dont like it, who cares? Go play something else. There are plenty of well rated games out there that arent my cup of tea, but I can see why they got high ratings from an objective perspective.

SWTOR is a good game, and its here to stay.

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by Aroich1

(mod edit)

Considering that there hasnt been a single bad review of the game anywhere credible, perhaps its time to face the fact that its just a good game, and millions of people agree.

If you dont like it, who cares? Go play something else. There are plenty of well rated games out there that arent my cup of tea, but I can see why they got high ratings from an objective perspective.

SWTOR is a good game, and its here to stay.

So you would be willing to rate the game 8+ even with all the flaws? Even with things missing that have been absolute themepark MMO standard for years? You would be willing to give innovation an 8/10 for introducing one new aspect to an MMO game and going backwards in nearly a dozen? (Don't even get me started on companions.. they pretty much go against everything an MMO should try to accomplish)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by alexmino

It's a fair review but how the hell can the crafting be considered fun?

You click a button and someone else goes off and does whatever for you, it's more passive then wows crafting.

You literaly click a button and go do other things and then the things get brought to you.

This made me laugh, everything about this game is easy mode.  You might be having fun with it now, but you will soon be quite bored.  This game has so little challenge I was bored at the end of beta.  This is just a well done single player game that has some multiplayer events.

No spaceflight except for a kids rendition of it, highly simplistic crafting that is not all that useful, heavily instanced pvp, Wow type raiding, small worlds, etc.

No one is questioning that the game is fun because it is.  Just that there is basically no substance to it.  It is not really a MMO world in the sense that players really effect it, you just experience only what they allow you to. 

If you are enjoying the game, which many of you are, then do that, but attempting to defer the criticism is useless, there is a lot to criticize when you consider the huge budget they had and the end result of the game.  Adding more content will not change that much at all unless they make major changes which would be highly unusual considering how EA cuts development funds on all it's games once released.

Good review. Agree with most of it and 8,7 is fair.

In fact, the critics have been pretty much unanimous, the average is around those values.

Excellent job Bioware, once again. This only shows the type of game the people really want, this are the ones who sell millions and entertain families and friends.

Now, keep doing lots of aditional contents =P

Originally posted by tryklon

In fact, the critics have been pretty much unanimous, the average is around those values.

Excellent job Bioware, once again. This only shows the type of game the people really want, this are the ones who sell millions and entertain families and friends.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning

Yes and we all know how accurate critics scores of MMO's have been in the past, don't we?

Originally posted by Zezda

Yes and we all know how accurate critics scores of MMO's have been in the past, don't we?

Curious, I was simply giving my opinion there, didnt even mentioned anyone else.

Strange enough it seems to be forbidden to present a positive opinion here, no matter, I have a simple answer to you, the game sold MILLIONS of boxes, is having BRUTALLY good reviews, the servers are FULL and people are having alot of FUN.

If that isnt being successfull what is? You opinion of what a good game should be? To me, your opinion is worth squat.

But it seems mine is important to you, or else you wouldnt be quotting my "positive feedback" of the game...

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Looks like they knocked off about 8 points to appease the trolls. 

Originally posted by Zezda

Curious, I was simply giving my opinion there, didnt even mentioned anyone else.

Strange enough it seems to be forbidden to present a positive opinion here, no matter, I have a simple answer to you, the game sold MILLIONS of boxes, is having BRUTALLY good reviews, the servers are FULL and people are having alot of FUN.

If that isnt being successfull what is? You opinion of what a good game should be? To me, your opinion is worth squat.

But it seems mine is important to you, or else you wouldnt be quotting my "positive feedback" of the game...

You seemed to be under the impression the game was doing well and this was proved by the fact all the critics have been giving the game absurd scores. I thought I would just link another game that's generally accepted by the MMO community to range somewhere between fail and 'ok' and show you what the critics said about that.

I don't have a problem with SW:TOR itself. Hell I might even have been able to get myself into it, had it been released 6 years ago. I do however take issue with it getting such ludicrous scores, you would think that on a 1-10 scale 5 would be average but it seems like all these themepark games that insist on copying each other (and badly at that) seem to work on their own little scale where 8 is average and anything below it is terrible. I am aware a similar thing happens in other genre's and even media in general but bear with me here right..

So, the game is Star Wars. Cast aside what you know of SW:TOR and SWG and imagine what a Star Wars MMO could be like. Imagine all the awesome and cool things you could do and see. Imagine the almost limitless possibilities the universe could bring. Snap back to 2012, here you have a SW MMO. The worst part? It plays the exact same as every.. other.. popular.. mmo.. since 2004. With absolute zero ambition. You know what SW:TOR reminds me of? Rune of Magic, you know some of the art and even area layouts in RoM are *exactly* the same as WoW?

In the end you got what they wanted, a cash grab. And I'm cool with that, honestly.. they are a business at the end of the day. But let's not label the game something it isn't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NWN was a better MMO than SW:TOR is.

Zezda, thanks for proving me right and show precisely why you critics are all the same.

"The game could be the best ever if only it was the way I thought it could be".

Guess what, the world isnt always made to you, learn to live with it.

Once again, great game, good job Bioware, the scores, population, numbers and pretty much everything involved show exactly this excellent results.

• RawluRawlu Member Posts: 7

I’m always blown away by these reviewers(Gamespot) etc. that are never happy unless theirs something completely ‘NEW’?...

Have you people ever heard the phrase ‘if it aint broke don't fix it’?!?!... EXACTLY what they are doing with Diablo 3?. & I CANT WAIT! for more of the same...

KOTOR 1, one of the greatest games of all time?, this is KOROR 3. you know?, the game everyone has been crying for?, for how many years now?!. yet BIGGER & BETTER. not good enough...

Mass Effect & Dragon Age. both amazing games that have set ‘NEW’ standards in ‘fully voiced character interactions’?, more of the same?, well that just sucks...

The bottom line is this is a MMO, it can be changed & improved over time like many B4 it including WOW. play it yourself & decide.

Zezda, thanks for proving me right and show precisely why you critics are all the same.

"The game could be the best ever if only it was the way I thought it could be".

Guess what, the world isnt always made to you, learn to live with it.

Once again, great game, good job Bioware, the scores, population, numbers and pretty much everything involved show exactly this excellent results.

I didn't say that at all, don't put words into my mouth thanks.

This game barely deserves the label MMO let alone one that could offer such vast possibilities as the Star Wars IP can provide. It is clear that Bioware and EA had zero ambition with this game.

You know why it leaves a bad taste in the mouth? Ambition was once the very foundation of what it meant to make an MMO. Now it isn't even mentioned and to make matters worse they actually get praised for it??

Well done for continuing to make processors and graphics cards on the 120micrometer process, we don't need none of these new fangled faster chips that produce less heat! God forbid we ask for something to be better than what came before it.. God forbid anyone to have the ambition to try make something different or better. You would think that with games and other forms of media being a largely creative process that making more of the same would be frowned upon? You know.. like x book is good therefor all other books of this genre should read like this does!