Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IGN Review Score -- 9

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214622p1.html

The most comprehensive review I've seen.  Perhaps a higher score then I would have given... by about half a point,  but the review overall is very sound.

Also be sure to check out the review journal:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216025p1.html

Comments

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

"The creator is quite flexible, with a wide range of customization options..."N

Not sure if I should even bother to continue... 

(WIll edit it in as I go along reading)

--

Okay, glad I did choose to continue. I think it's a pretty fair review; I liked that it was informative and the only parts I really disagreed with was when the author chose to voice his own opinions on said features.  

Disagree with the score too.

But good review even if highly disserviceable to long-time MMO players. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Absolutely revolutionary, such keen insight into the combat model.

"The complex game systems won't seem so complex if you've played an MMO in the last decade. Combat is based around selecting a target and using an ability to attack it. The Old Republic sets itself apart from many MMOs by removing the auto-attack that initiates when your character is set to beat up a target. Instead, each class has a basic attack that has to be activated manually whenever you want to use it. It requires no class resource, and in the case of the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior it actually helps build the resource, somewhat similar to Rage for the warrior class in World of Warcraft."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Went ahead and updated the OP with the Review in Progress journal the writer made, for those not thinking he had an in-depth experience,  he did bring us along every step of the way, with bugs listed and so on.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Kyleran

"The complex game systems won't seem so complex if you've played an MMO in the last decade. Combat is based around selecting a target and using an ability to attack it. The Old Republic sets itself apart from many MMOs by removing the auto-attack that initiates when your character is set to beat up a target. Instead, each class has a basic attack that has to be activated manually whenever you want to use it. It requires no class resource, and in the case of the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior it actually helps build the resource, somewhat similar to Rage for the warrior class in World of Warcraft."

That

• teakbois2teakbois2 Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by pharazonic

--

Okay, glad I did choose to continue. I think it's a pretty fair review; I liked that it was informative and the only parts I really disagreed with was when the author chose to voice his own opinions on said features.  

With the character creator thing, I do see where hes coming from.  There are more face/hair/etc choices than many games (WoW and FFXI/IV to name a few).  Its also one of the few MMOs where you can make a fat guy, so it gets bonus points for that.  And he does go on to comment on where its limiting.

I dont think its really that less flexible than a game like Rift,but its certainly not up to swg levels or even eq2.   After playing games like that I certainly wouldnt call it 'quite flexible'

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Originally posted by Talgen

That

Yes we know that, what's your point?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by pharazonic

--

I'm actually surprised by that response from you pharazonic.  You disagree with the score but feel it was a good review.  Its rare to find posters with that kind of character.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

OMG how could this game get yet ANOTHER great review blaa blaa blaa blaa.   Uhh maybe because its actually a good game?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by snapfusion

OMG how could this game get yet ANOTHER great review blaa blaa blaa blaa.   Uhh maybe because its actually a good game?

No because the game sites like this rely on advertising dollars.   Do you think Bioware or EA would give this or IGN one red cent if they reviewed a game honestly?  Not a chance.

Time to change that model as well...because on top of zealot fans hyping the crap out of bad games, we have websites like this that only add to the hype and that creates the illusion that these games are awesome.   SWTOR could have been a great game and still could be, but doubtful now.   Not with wesbites like making it seem like the game is "great"!  IGN's score is a joke.  This websites score is a joke.   I have yet to find one so called professional review that gives an honest score.   This game shipped half-baked, buggy, glaring game-breaking exploits, missing basic MMO features and still rates an 8.7 almost 9.   No sorry.   You can all play that game and be a part of it.  I will not.   All it does is give us more half-baked and badly designed games.   The last few games have gotten worse and worse.   Ever since WoW the quality of these games have dropped to levels of absurdity and yet these wesbites still give these games way over the top scores.  

Look at Warhammer, this website praised it and gave it 8.4, people bought into it, and in the end all it did was line the pockets of a company not deserving of the money.   Then the same guys that worked on that game go to work on SWTOR and guess what, you get the same kind of bad game.   Surprised?  You shouldn't be...you helped those people get to where they are.   So what do they do, the deliver yet another half-baked poorly made and implemented game.  

Yes lets promote bad games and not expect better from these game companies.    Praise mediocrity, you get mediocrity.  There is no incentive to be better or to deliver better - all you'll get is bad games and I am sorry but SWTOR is not a game worthy of an 8 let alone a 9!  That is just...

Wallow in your mediocrity, lap it up, and continue to praise games like this.  It's websites and people like this that help produce bad games...I will not be a  part of it. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Teala

No because the game sites like this rely on advertising dollars.   Do you think Bioware or EA would give this or IGN one red cent if they reviewed a game honestly?  Not a chance.

Time to change that model as well...because on top of zealot fans hyping the crap out of bad games, we have websites like this that only add to the hype and that creates the illusion that these games are awesome.   SWTOR could have been a great game and still could be, but doubtful now.   Not with wesbites like making it seem like the game is "great"!  IGN's score is a joke.  This websites score is a joke.   I have yet to find one so called professional review that gives an honest score.   This game shipped half-baked, buggy, glaring, game-breaking exploits, missing basic MMO features and still rates an 8.7 almost 9.   No sorry.   You can all play that game and be a part of it.  I will not.   All it does is give us more half-baked and badly designed games.   The last few games have gotten worse and worse.   Ever since WoW the quality of these games have dropped to levels of absurdity and yet these wesbites still give these games way over the top scores.  

Look at Warhammer, this website praised it and gave it 8.4, people bought into it, and in the end all it did was line the pockets of a company not deserving of the money.   Then the same guys that worked on that game go to work on SWTOR and guess what, you get the same kind of bad game.   Surprised?  You shouldn't be...you helped those people get to where they are.   So what do they do, the deliver yet another half-baked poorly made and implemented game.  

Yes lets promote bad games and not expect better from these game companies.    Praise mediocrity, you get mediocrity.  There is no incentive to be better or to deliver better - all you'll get is bad games and I am sorry but SWTOR is not a game worthy of an 8 let alone a 9!  That is just...

Wallow in your mediocrity, lap it up, and continue to praise games like this.  It's websites and people like this that help produce bad games...I will not be a  part of it. 

Okay your right its all a front, a giant media conspiricy, it sucks.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

I have yet to find one so called professional review that gives an honest score.  

Thats because anyone who writes a negative review is automatically dismissed as a hater... Only good reviews are taken "seriously" until the "new" game polish wears off, and you can see the game for what it truly is... Which i suspect is happening now with SWToR; and it is happening much faster because of the giant hype leading up to this game.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Okay your right its all a front, a giant media conspiricy, it sucks.

If you think for one second, that this kind of stuff doesn't happen behind closed doors... you are a fool. You NEVER bite the hand that pays your bills... ever.

• SmatthewsSmatthews Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I have yet to find one so called professional review that gives an honest score.  

Thats because anyone who writes a negative review is automatically dismissed as a hater... Only good reviews are taken "seriously" until the "new" game polish wears off, and you can see the game for what it truly is... Which i suspect is happening now with SWToR; and it is happening much faster because of the giant hype leading up to this game.

I love how you do the same thing by saying that any positive review must be done by someone that is paid.  People like the game, get over it.  It is a fun game so it gets good reviews.  Many of these sites were negative when they first saw the game, but as they saw it grow noted that its fun.  If they didn't like it they would say so because they dont care.  Many of the sites get lots of traffic, so companies will advertise regardless of what they say.  Look at how many carppy games or movies get low scores and continue to put adds up.  Which is more believable? That people like a video game, or that there is a media consperisy that you and some others that hated the game for years before it came were able to "discover"? 

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by OBK1

Originally posted by Talgen

That

Yes we know that, what's your point?

That was the point

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

People actually take big name sight reviews for the score value? Lets not pretend now they don't get inflated greatly, because they do. Sure, take a look at their points but take everything wtih a grain of salt.

Play something yourself to really judge how it is. My advice is to wait for the free trial for this game, and be mindful of how it will advance beyond what the trial allows you to explore.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

IGN's Warhammer Online Rating: 9 "Amazing"

Quote:

"MMOs are such massive endeavors; while most games are content to keep you occupied for a day or a week, these are crafted to keep you engaged and playing for months, and even years. It takes a lot of time and effort to make one of these things, and the risks are only outweighed by the rewards; despite the dangers, everyone aspires to be the next World of Warcraft, and, often times, such a task is too much, and a large number of MMOs have crashed and burned.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is not one of these games. It's an impressive beast. Not only is it one of the smoothest and most effortless MMO launches to date, but it's a game that displays careful thought in almost every aspect."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918335p1.html

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by TGSOL

IGN's Warhammer Online Rating: 9 "Amazing"

Quote:

"MMOs are such massive endeavors; while most games are content to keep you occupied for a day or a week, these are crafted to keep you engaged and playing for months, and even years. It takes a lot of time and effort to make one of these things, and the risks are only outweighed by the rewards; despite the dangers, everyone aspires to be the next World of Warcraft, and, often times, such a task is too much, and a large number of MMOs have crashed and burned.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is not one of these games. It's an impressive beast. Not only is it one of the smoothest and most effortless MMO launches to date, but it's a game that displays careful thought in almost every aspect."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918335p1.html

Would you imagine that, I swear that is a very in depth review, I'm sure many could agree around it's launch that is infact an agreeable review for Warhammer right?

No but seriousely this is why I stay humble.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.