Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update for Combat mechanics.

PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

What else will the trolls complain about now? I shouldn't even ask.. :S

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1269596#edit1269596

During the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’ve been paying a lot of attention to the game’s responsiveness. As pointed out by some people on the Forum, a very responsive experience is one of the factors that separate the best MMOs from the others. This is something we are fully aware of and take extremely seriously.

Several of the issues brought forth by the community have already been dealt with and you should see the fixes integrated in coming patches, including those coming this month. Every lead mentioned on the forum is being investigated and I cannot stress enough how useful your feedback is – especially when coupled with the level of details found in some of the posts.

So I’d really like to thank the community for this very constructive feedback.

Thanks again and best regards,

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

so is it fixed or is this another "we're gonna fix it" post?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Ummm...

So Bioware acknowledges a legitimate complaint on the forum and says they are trying to fix it, and your sentiment is "what will the trolls complain about next?"

It's very possible that if the "trolls" didn't complain about this issue that it wouldn't have been so high on BW's priority list to fix.  Shouldn't you be thankful that the "trolls" basically forced BW to acknowledge this issue by repeatedly posting about it, and now BW is trying to fix it?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I still don't know what all this noise is about. Never ha any problems with the combat. Could someone enlighten me?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Why do you call people trolls when they were legit complaints?  If they were not legit then there would be no need for the fixes...

`check yourself good sir

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by fony

so is it fixed or is this another "we're gonna fix it" post?

Can't really call it fixed until the patch is live or on test and players confirm that it is fixed IMO.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Creslin321

It's very possible that if the "trolls" didn't complain about this issue that it wouldn't have been so high on BW's priority list to fix.  Shouldn't you be thankful that the "trolls" basically forced BW to acknowledge this issue by repeatedly posting about it, and now BW is trying to fix it?

you, sir, have just become my MMORPG.com hero.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by dubyahite

I still don't know what all this noise is about. Never ha any problems with the combat. Could someone enlighten me?

The main complain is how the animations work when you use abilities.  Such as how when you cast some ability, the animation starts AFTER the cast and the time the ability goes off is during the animation causing a great feeling of delay to people who are used to responsive controls such as those found in WoW, Champions Online, FPS, and fighting games. 

It also causes a disconnect to players and the character they are controlling on certain occasions such as when you try to summon a mount. If you were to use a stopwatch the actual time the cast should end is at the 1 second mark and not the 0.5 seconds stated in the cast bar.

Some classes such the Trooper/Bounty hunter and Gunslinger/Sniper experience it heavilly with the cast time and others end up with having something such as a skills animation taking longer than the global cooldown thus preventing them from stringing together attacks while keeping gcd-time. So instead of people being able to focus on gcd/cast time they have to rely on animation time which causes a feeling of disconnect

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Castillle

The main complain is how the animations work when you use abilities.  Such as how when you cast some ability, the animation starts AFTER the cast and the time the ability goes off is during the animation causing a great feeling of delay to people who are used to responsive controls such as those found in WoW, Champions Online, FPS, and fighting games. 

It also causes a disconnect to players and the character they are controlling on certain occasions such as when you try to summon a mount. If you were to use a stopwatch the actual time the cast should end is at the 1 second mark and not the 0.5 seconds stated in the cast bar.

Some classes such the Trooper/Bounty hunter and Gunslinger/Sniper experience it heavilly with the cast time and others end up with having something such as a skills animation taking longer than the global cooldown thus preventing them from stringing together attacks while keeping gcd-time. So instead of people being able to focus on gcd/cast time they have to rely on animation time which causes a feeling of disconnect

I see. I haven't noticed that happening on my sorc when healing or dpsing, but maybe that's just because of the way the sorcerer abilities work.  

I have noticed the mount thing actually. You try to go forward and it dismounts you because the animation isn't done yet.  

Seems like it should be pretty fixable if that's the case though.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

this is a game breaker for me, I thought it  would be done quick as a hotfix :(

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by stayontarget

Why do you call people trolls when they were legit complaints?  If they were not legit then there would be no need for the fixes...

`check yourself good sir

I find it hilarious that you can't distinguish the difference between a troll and a individual who uses feedback to better a game. There are two obvious sides to it. And yes, the trolls talked a lot about the combat issues but they had no intentions of wanting it fixed, they use it for their own sake to start more drama. I think you need to "`check yourself good sir" Maybe brush up on some reading.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

this is a game breaker for me, I thought it  would be done quick as a hotfix :(

I agree with you that they need to fix these issues as soon as possible, and it is a good thing they are doing everything they can to make sure it is corrected quickly. It can be a real pain sometimes to be a melee character, thats for sure.

~ ~

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Yeah, seriously. LOL.  Yes. capitalized lol.

The OP calls those who complained about this "trolls" when the topic at hand here is a real bad issue with the game that Bioware acknowledges as a bad issue and claims they'll fix it.

Dude, thats not "trolls".  Stop using nerd terms just because they're popular.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Ummm...

So Bioware acknowledges a legitimate complaint on the forum and says they are trying to fix it, and your sentiment is "what will the trolls complain about next?"

Fiercest comment all week.

• teakbois2teakbois2 Member Posts: 21

Ummm...

You are partially right.

However there is indeed a *lot* of trolling about this issue.  people that don't play the game bring it up as this major game breaking thing that plagues everyone's gameplay....when it does not.  I would say most people that dont visit the forums arent even aware of it.  I have experienced it a couple of times, and I had not read about it I would have chalked it up to a lag spike as its that infrequent for me.  

Now some have experienced it more often and it *is* game breaking to those, but its not an 'everyone all the time' issue.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Some classes are affected far more than others. (ie. Troopers worse than their mirror BH). If you do not play that class you may not see it as much.

You stay sassy!

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Tamanous

Some classes are affected far more than others. (ie. Troopers worse than their mirror BH). If you do not play that class you may not see it as much.

Melee is impacted by it also... or it could be a completely different bug... basically you starting swinging then stop mid swing and restart...

It happens repeatedly too....

Whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff dead :(

I like this game a lot, but my old guild just basically blamed the player... even though so many were sages and weren't impacted.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Ummm...

I have to agree with this.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease" is what they would call this where I live. Call them Trolls if you like, and maybe they are. But more than likely all their bitching and moaning actually made BW address this issue sooner rather than later.

Just a thought.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by teakbois2

Ummm...

You are partially right.

However there is indeed a *lot* of trolling about this issue.  people that don't play the game bring it up as this major game breaking thing that plagues everyone's gameplay....when it does not.  I would say most people that dont visit the forums arent even aware of it.  I have experienced it a couple of times, and I had not read about it I would have chalked it up to a lag spike as its that infrequent for me.  

Now some have experienced it more often and it *is* game breaking to those, but its not an 'everyone all the time' issue.

I find the biggest issue is the difference between a troll and objective feedback.

There is a huge difference between 100 posts of whining and bitching and 100 posts asking for changes and providing feed back on issues. 

I am pretty sure I know which 100 posts Bioware would rather see.

You stay sassy!

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Ummm...

Beautifully said. 

`check yourself good sir

Also very beautifully stated. 

The saddest thing is the people truly harming the game are the fanbois who are posting in those mega threads yesmanning for BioWare constantly. BW is very wise to not listen to these blind fans and listen to the critics. Hopefully, they really iron out the kinks. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Wait..So..Will this be getting fixed? To make the game feel more smooth.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

[Mod Edit]

There are what, 4 mega threads now on the SWTOR forums regarding this issue? Each of these threads has textual AND visual feeback. Suffice to say if you still don't get it, you never will. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Yeah, seriously. LOL.  Yes. capitalized lol.

The OP calls those who complained about this "trolls" when the topic at hand here is a real bad issue with the game that Bioware acknowledges as a bad issue and claims they'll fix it.

Dude, thats not "trolls".  Stop using nerd terms just because they're popular.

Again, you are not reading what I am saying. I never said anything about the ones who brought the combat mechanic issues to light ( I was in beta 6 months ago and me along with many others brought it up then). You are taking what I said and twisting it around to make an arguement out of it.

I am one of the many who brought this to biowares attention. I was stating an opinion about the people, such as you, who use anything possible as a negative tool to put down a game, any game.

[Mod Edit]

~ ~

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Castillle

No, that is not the issue. While the long animation times are questionable in length. Like a 1.5 cast spell is actually about 2 or 2.5. But I digress. 

The issue is that you press a button and 1 or 2 seconds later the ability starts its animation. I've had the GCD completed before I start the animation.

So, when you combine the horrible long animations with the lag that many of us are experiences just to start the animation its not exactly a pleasant experience.

Originally posted by pharazonic

Ummm...

Beautifully said. 

`check yourself good sir

Also very beautifully stated. 

The saddest thing is the people truly harming the game are the fanbois who are posting in those mega threads yesmanning for BioWare constantly. BW is very wise to not listen to these blind fans and listen to the critics. Hopefully, they really iron out the kinks. 

There was nothing beautifully stated about either of these posts. [Mod Edit]

~ ~

• Cruis.InCruis.In Member Posts: 16

i have to say i love the dcuo combat... enemy shots do not auto hit, they can be dodged. you can block, roll etc... and the combat is real time.

you use the left and righ mouse buttons for combos, which is so simplistic, amazing how many combos you can do with two buttons held and pressed for different times, and kudos for programming the input. Then you have click abilities, the old 1-2-3-4.

Is this how tor is? I havent played it, the only thing I know about tor is that it was being made. I kinda figure the combat from dcuo would translate over well. For Jedi, taping the left and right mouse buttons would do different saber swings and then you have the force /push/run/lightening/sabre throw/standard force powers as the click abilities. The animations should be cool like batman arkhum city, fluid and nice :)

For what does it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but loseth his soul?