Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is The Repopulation the Next Star Wars Galaxies?

username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Looks like SWG preCU is getting a spiritual successor.

http://sandboxer.org/?p=376

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Comments

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

The Repopulation could potentially fill the void for a lot of us who appreciate what a truly open MMO experience can provide in terms of depth and longevity. 

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Looks like yet another in a long line of MMO's that Try to get sandbox and PvP end-Game....

And miss the point of being a game that Hard Core and Casual Players want to play.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by hipiap

Looks like yet another in a long line of MMO's that Try to get sandbox and PvP end-Game....

And miss the point of being a game that Hard Core and Casual Players want to play.

You discredit yourself by not researching The Repopulation before posting.

The Repopulation features a mix of sandbox and themepark elements in order to appeal to a larger audiance, much in the same was as SWG.

On there website it's stated you don't "have" to play as a full loot open pvp game, if you choose not to.  You can flag yourself on and off if your allied with the 2 main factions, or have yourself always flagged for pvp if your in an independent "nation".  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by username509

The Repopulation features a mix of sandbox and themepark elements in order to appeal to a larger audiance, much in the same was as SWG.

On there website it's stated you don't "have" to play as a full loot open pvp game, if you choose not to.  You can flag yourself on and off if your allied with the 2 main factions, or have yourself always flagged for pvp if your in an independent "nation".  

"always flagged if part of an Independant nation" really sounds like fun when you're trying to level to the point where you are comfortable with PvP.

I like the "don't have to flag up" part of being in one faction or another.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Heard it all before, sadly the budgets these guys have is never enough to create something modern and polished.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Originally posted by username509

I am happy to see that this will not be a forced PvP game, but I still do not care for the 'full loot' aspect of PvP if you do decide to play.  Such a penalty will limit the number of players that will participate. Still, the game sounds good, but will it ever become reality?

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Kazara

I am happy to see that this will not be a forced PvP game, but I still do not care for the 'full loot' aspect of PvP if you do decide to play.  Such a penalty will limit the number of players that will participate. Still, the game sounds good, but will it ever become reality?

All I needed to hear to not waste my time with the game ever.

In case developers haven't noticed, exploiting, cheating and hacking are rampant in online games.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Interesting... this is the first I've heard of this game.  I hope it won't be another Earthrise.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Kazara

All I needed to hear to not waste my time with the game ever.

In case developers haven't noticed, exploiting, cheating and hacking are rampant in online games.

I almost agree, but there's enough temptation here for me to want to play the PvE portion. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by tixylix

Heard it all before, sadly the budgets these guys have is never enough to create something modern and polished.

A lot of the low budget teams usually use an unheard of engine or build their own from the ground up, but they are using the HeroEngine, which may be a good thing if it helps them make a polished game. At the very least it helped make SWTOR, which isn't the worst game I've played. So here's to the power of positive thinking!!!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

if what i've seen in swtor is any indication of the engines weakness and not a modification done by bioware, the hero engine for sandbox title would be horrible. It works for swtor because its a themepark and instance isn't the end of the world, but in a sandbox title with full loot pvp instancing can be game breaking and without heavy restrictions it could be pure failure. Ie someone kills you loots you, then leaves the shard.

Now as I said it could be biowares modifications playing the bigger role, but bioware recently removed companions from world pvp zones because of performance issues when the 100 player cap was reached on a shard, if thats a hero engine problem this is a horrible design choice for a sandbox.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

I stopped reading when I saw the words "hero engine".

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

It looks pretty cool and I respect their efforts.

The problem for me is that it's missing the key ingredient: A Star Wars Universe.

There has been something instilled in me since I was a child - a goofy imagination and a yearning for adventure. In SWG, the sands of Tattooine and the occasional moments of random Star Wars music made it magical.

It's the fast that it was Star Wars AND it was a DEEP GAME. This is what I miss and why I'm bitter at the simplicity cash grab of SWTOR.

We'll most likely never experience another Star Wars sandbox. Moreover, modern MMO have adopted a more simple gameplay and RMTs - something that ruins virtual economies.

• SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

As much as I admire indy devs, creating an MMO is like trying to produce at least 10 games at the same time, no matter the ammount of dedication and good will the devs have, it still does not meet the requirements of viable MMO, let alone a non linear one.

SWG was the biggest budget game of its time, and it still fell short on its budget. (all though its art assests are some of the best still - LA deserve credit for that at least)

Indy devs mostly have upto only 1mil to put into the project, but its at the minimum 10mil would be needed to realease something close to functional as a commercial product. But even then 20-50mil is needed for something that resembles something people would be attracted to actually play.