Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

regarding Total Biscuit´s critic on MMOs

HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Rift
ToR
These ones I chose, because I was bored. The tragedy continued with more videos of several classes.
My problem with this is: I really like TB´s indie game support. Of course I bought some of them.
But you just can´t compare two games open minded with same basic gameplay like this.

After TB´s marketing front, are there any fair points regarding MMOs making him neutral?

@ TB if you have too few time to compare MMOs, then do not compare them at all.
If you need some supporting money to let your channel stay alive, then say it upfront.

Comments

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Not a fan of TB.  Everytime I hear him on Yogscast, I find him to be be annoying and abrasive. 

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

You just cannot say "Game A is not my cup of tea, because I know WoW with same mechanics" while you give intervies and talk with your wife on the other.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

so you disagree with a video blogger?

[Mod Edit]

Originally posted by Ecoces

so you disagree with a video blogger?

[Mod Edit]

TotalHalibut is not a random blogger. Try finding a video of him without at least 100.000 clicks. Plus word of mouth like I do.

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Herodes

If you need some supporting money to let your channel stay alive, then say it upfront.

wut?

he has about half a million subs, that's a lot, he sure as hell isn't strugling for money

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Not a fan of TB.  Everytime I hear him on Yogscast, I find him to be be annoying and abrasive. 

fnny, I tried to watch some yogcast videos but that one guy is so fucking annoying I can't stand it

Originally posted by Enosh

wut?
    he has about half a million subs, that's a lot, he sure as hell isn't strugling for money

Well, it is not that I myself pay a burger to sub or join his channel.
  • EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

youtube partnership, or whatever contract he is under something with gamerstation iirc

fact is in youtube subs and views=money, or just views but subs lead to a steady stream of views

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

That is because most MMOs suck. In fact, he does like MMOs...he played a lot of GW2 as much as he could, and he LOVED it.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I haven't payed any attention to TB since his pathetic rant about quitting Cataclysm WoW.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

I haven't payed any attention to TB since his pathetic rant about quitting Cataclysm WoW.

What's that? What was said about it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by SuperXero89

What's that? What was said about it?
    The truth about Wow being a dead horse(paraphrasing it)?. Don't remember exactly, but he talked quite a lot about the flaws of expansion and game itself, as well as community and had quite good arguments on why he will never ever ever ever return to wow again.

@op
    man does make quite good points on just why exactly games like torcraft should NOT exist.

raging at him just because you have different opinion, while at the same time NOT argumenting yours is immature.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I don't agree with all of TB's opinions either.  Can't muster the effort to cry about it though.  On the other hand, his WTF series has introduced me to numerous excellent indie games that were otherwise under my radar.  Tip of the top hat for that.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

youtube partnership, or whatever contract he is under something with gamerstation iirc

fact is in youtube subs and views=money, or just views but subs lead to a steady stream of views

Youtube is for popularity. There are better video sites if your in it for the money aspect.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Dunno, I like him. He makes me lol sometimes and thats good enough for me.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I think he was right on the wow situation and I disagree with him on a few things but overall he knows what he's talking about and does a very good job at it, for that he has my respect. 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

TotalHalibut is not a random blogger. Try finding a video of him without at least 100.000 clicks. Plus word of mouth like I do. 

A random blogger with 100,000 clicks is still just one guy with an opinion (aka, a random blogger.)

Though honestly I'm a little confused what you're trying to say about his videos. It's not a critique or comparison at all -- it's a developer interview.  Is your feedback "TB shouldn't do developer interviews"?  Why not?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

So he dares to have a different opinion then some fanboys? Shock and awe!

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

He had some great stuff in the Cata beta days. After that I stopped following his stuff. He does have some views which I think would make certain games better, but other views I totally disagreed with. Last video I watched he was talking about Warhammer Online - Wrath of Heroes. He basically said the 6v6v6 was just gimmiky. I got the impression he completely missed the point of having 3 seperate "factions" in pvp and all the strategic benefits/flaws that brings to a game that is essentially WoW Battlegrounds with a lobby.

If you want spoilers/news for unreleased games then he along with some other net podcasters are the go-to-guys.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Considering 3 factions in Warhammer Online - Wrath of Heroes doesn't help this game suck less I somehow agree with him.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

wut?

fnny, I tried to watch some yogcast videos but that one guy is so fucking annoying I can't stand it

TB is that you? lol

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

wut?

TB is that you? lol

Assuming a fullgrown mature male journalist and british person would get into an argument with a simple user in a mmorpg forum.

{mod edit}  The man is known to NOT visit any kinds of forums, except for having frequented RPS for a few years and ocassionally showing up on reddit.

I just love people's tendencies to group a serious coherect objective internet journalists to whom it is a JOB, with some occasional simple bloggers. :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Originally posted by Yuui

I just love people's tendencies to group a serious coherect objective internet journalists to whom it is a JOB, with some occasional simple bloggers. :)

I'm sorry, but the idea that being paid to do something makes you a professional is a long withstanding myth.

In reality, there is no (opinional) difference between a blogger whose "JOB" is to blog and a blogger who doesn't get paid for their opinion. The only actual difference is the idea of money, which is entirely unrelated to the root meaning of the "job" (opinions, reviews, and the exchange of ideas).

I always think it is hilarious when people try to convince me that someone magically transforms into a professional just because money is involved.

In my own opinion, no one can ever be a professional at giving their opinion, because their opinion (no matter how professional) is simply that: a single opinion. That is why those in the field of science have different definitions of 'fact' than they do of 'opinion'. The very concept of a "professional" opinioneer (critic, reviewer, journalist, idealist, conceptionist, writer, blogger, etc.) is, at least in my one-value-opinion, ludicrous.

Same goes for popularity. Just because someone's opinion is more or less popular, doesn't change the fact it is merely a single person's opinion. Something that holds no more value than the next, less popular person.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

I like TB.

Yes, he is a fanboy and upbeat about everything.

On the othe hand he says 'play what you like to play' and don't whine about games and he is right.

instead of whining that games are crap and so on .. enjoy another game and forget the 'crap'.

Money talks still the best :)