Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of Days

Comments

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Rift Status said  almolst every rift server has had an increase in population from 5-17% over the last week.  I guess people are leaving Tor.

http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/stats

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Zippy

Rift Status said  almolst every rift server has had an increase in population from 5-17% over the last week.  I guess people are leaving Tor.

Will need a larger sample to really judge if it's ToR or holidays.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

and that 20 people will pay for 50 staffs?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by snapfusion

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Master10K

So yeah... I enjoyed my 5 months PvE'ing in Rift, but I noticed how my always Medium - High pop Whitefall server slowly dropped to the state where I never see it above Low pop. Also with half my guildies leaving for SW:TOR, making our 20-man raids impossible, not even I could have a positive outlook on Rift's current state or future. So I've unsubbed. Although I'm too cool to be jumping on the SW:TOR bandwagon, because I'm already on the GW2 Hype Train Express. ^_^

Be sure to laugh at your guild mates. Trust me in the long run you will. TOR is not worth disbanding a Rift guild for trust me and some people are learning it the hard way.

If you want to go ahead and dump on Rift go ahead, but do not rage on the forums when you come back and everyone did the same thing and is now wanting to come back to a dead server. They sort of think you just pause the game like a single player rpg and come back.

My guild on Wolfsbane pulled the same shit and I told them if I saw them logging on less and less that I would dump them for a guild interested in Rift and I did. People just keep acting like TOR was the next alternative to Rift that gave you so much freedom in soul choices and new content for a game working ont he exact opposite philosophy.

GW2 is a good 6-7 month away and that is optimistic.

I actually found the abundance of skill choices in Rift annoying, so many choices but no real enjoyable single choice. They took what could of been a solid line up of core skills and spread them out over two many souls and filled in the gaps with underwhelmng abilities  infecting everyone on the server with a sever case of schizophrenia trying to stay interested in their character,  It was a clever idea to keep people busy but I couldnt find a single class or spec that felt right.  It took me only two trys to fall in love with a class in SWTOR.  I had a couple of friends I tried to convert over to Rift, they at the time told me two many skills and most of them boring.   A the time I didnt really agree but ulitmately it was the case for me as well.

One of the beaitiful aspects of Rift is the oppurtunity for a player to make a very bad build.  There are so many possibilities for builds one can make a ton of diifferent class types but one can also make some very bad builds.  Most archetypes have 7-10 very good build options that can varied to a degree for taste.  While this is great for the long term player it can be overwhleming for the new player or casual player.  Doing public groups I see some extra-ordinarly bad players.  Mostly due to how they specced rather than gear.  Although gear does make a huge differeence, But proper specs is more improtant IMO.  I love seeing so many bad players.  The freedom to screw up is something we have not seen in MMOs in many years.  The classs system is very well done.  It take a small amount of thought and research to make decent build.  Which sadly is beyond the ability of many if not most modern MMO players.

Being in an end game raiding guild believe me I tried all the DPS/HEALING flavor of the week builds while working through HK, I still never found one build that I enjoyed,  I had a 50 scout and 50 mage that I raided with.  It always came down to we need you to use boring spec R22 to be effective in this fight etc etc.  Maybe it was just me and my buddies but too many hats needed to contribute, Trion actually started designing boss fights around specific soul builds.  basically telling YOU the player how you need to spec in order to participate, no thanks.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

The funny thing is SWTOR made me resub to Rift. I'm not kidding, and I actually hadn't played Rift in months(4-6). It really made me appreciate the soul system, and the PvP that was far more enjoyable than SWTOR. 

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Golelorn

The funny thing is SWTOR made me resub to Rift. I'm not kidding, and I actually hadn't played Rift in months(4-6). It really made me appreciate the soul system, and the PvP that was far more enjoyable than SWTOR. 

The Rift soul system was really fun I must admit.  I haven't played Rift in several months but occassionally I still revisit a web soul calculator to see the latest patch info and mess around with different builds and macro ideas.  Back when I played Rift I probably spent 30% of my time rejiggering my souls and macro combos LOL.   I was a PVPer primarily.   I ended up coming up with some real fun combos, probably not theoretically ideal but ones I had fun playing with.

My favorite was an assassin/riftstalker combo.  But when they introduced the Nysrys Brand counter to the assassin stealth I was forced to transfer at least 10 points from either riftstalker or assassin souls to the PVP soul to counter Nysyrs Brand, which really forced me into the more cookie cutter builds in order to be PVP viable.   That's when I realized they were really trying to shepard people into certain builds, especially for PVP, and I unsubscribed and haven't looked back.  They just didn't put enough thought into the changes they made and how it would force people away from more flexible builds.

I will always remember the soul system fondly though, especially early on...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• lat00uklat00uk Member Posts: 28

I really dont care that SW:TOR came out, I was considering re-subbing to RIFT but then I read they have opened the UI and started to allow people to write addons for it, and now I know that there is a 'Damage Meters' type addon... Means I will never play RIFT ever again...

Damage Meters is what made me quit WoW as for me it spoiled the game...

Been playing LOTRO since '09 and I will continue to do so.

This is the internet and im entitled to my opinion...

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

There are 6 additional dead servers now, 12 out of 27.  

You are seeing the increase because the prior week had christmas/holidays over, and the people transferring off of the now dead servers onto the other servers.

they cant close sunrest, but if they close the other 11 servers I bet the remaining 15 would stabilize pretty well.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I did not like rift just because I need some sandbox elements myself, but as far as thempark Rift is solid I bet lots still play it.

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Golelorn

The Rift soul system was really fun I must admit.  I haven't played Rift in several months but occassionally I still revisit a web soul calculator to see the latest patch info and mess around with different builds and macro ideas.  Back when I played Rift I probably spent 30% of my time rejiggering my souls and macro combos LOL.   I was a PVPer primarily.   I ended up coming up with some real fun combos, probably not theoretically ideal but ones I had fun playing with.

My favorite was an assassin/riftstalker combo.  But when they introduced the Nysrys Brand counter to the assassin stealth I was forced to transfer at least 10 points from either riftstalker or assassin souls to the PVP soul to counter Nysyrs Brand, which really forced me into the more cookie cutter builds in order to be PVP viable.   That's when I realized they were really trying to shepard people into certain builds, especially for PVP, and I unsubscribed and haven't looked back.  They just didn't put enough thought into the changes they made and how it would force people away from more flexible builds.

I will always remember the soul system fondly though, especially early on...

If they could combine the soul system of Rift with RoM's multiclassing and WoW's fun combat it would be the perfect system.  For me the soul system is tits on a bull.  The combat feels so dull.

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

I am actually downloading rifts to give it another try due to this retard(OP) .I will never touch SWTOR just due to all the fanbois going absoulute full retard trying to blow their load all over the place when their crappy game came out.Sick of hearing about SWTOR,whether it be from RL friends preaching about it constantly trying to get me to play it or from all the forum posts about it here on mmorpg.com .

I give SWTOR a year,the excitment will boil down,a new mmo will come out, and SWTOR will be on life support with its only visitor being  Jar jar binx.

Originally posted by bosmer24

I am actually downloading rifts to give it another try due to this retard(OP) .I will never touch SWTOR just due to all the fanbois going absoulute full retard trying to blow their load all over the place when their crappy game came out.Sick of hearing about SWTOR,whether it be from RL friends preaching about it constantly trying to get me to play it or from all the forum posts about it here on mmorpg.com .

I give SWTOR a year,the excitment will boil down,a new mmo will come out, and SWTOR will be on life support with its only visitor being  Jar jar binx.

So you not only have the stupidest reason Ive ever heard of to not try a game, but you are being hypocritical because rift was shoved down our throats at every possible moment for half the year.

But yes, you really burned the OP.  *pats on the back for bosmer24*

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I play SWTOR and not Rift but...

Trion is a very good company and gives the fans huge amounts of content quickly. If bioware does poorly at fixing there game, communicating with there fans and pumping out content i will go back to Rift. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Nethermancer

I play SWTOR and not Rift but...

Trion is a very good company and gives the fans huge amounts of content quickly. If bioware does poorly at fixing there game, communicating with there fans and pumping out content i will go back to Rift. 

Agreed, while Rift do lack some originality it have great support and that actually goes far for a MMO.

I think we would all lose if RIF went down, and I hope Trion makes another MMO that is a bit less traditional in the future. :)

For all the hype Trion gets for fast content,  the last 20 man raid was over 6 months ago at this point (did WoW ever have to wait this long for a 25 man?), and most likely at least a month away.  They also have only added one dungeon since launch.  Quite a bit of 10 man content and features (PA, IA), but very little truly new 5 and 20 content, and absolutely nothing for 1-45.

[Mod Edit]

Ive reported several threads like this and they never go away.  And people respond to it so, when in rome...

• Originally posted by teakbois

For all the hype Trion gets for fast content,  the last 20 man raid was over 6 months ago at this point (did WoW ever have to wait this long for a 25 man?), and most likely at least a month away.  They also have only added one dungeon since launch.  Quite a bit of 10 man content and features (PA, IA), but very little truly new 5 and 20 content, and absolutely nothing for 1-45.

imho the need wasn't really there. there were only a handful of guilds that cleared HK until the recent wave of nerfs. took voodoo like 2 months+ or so to get the first clear in there. prior to this last nerf 20 guilds had gotten the squid down. as a company i don't think it makes a whole lotta sense to dump a fresh 20 man on players when only 400 players had gotten a clear. it would just frusterate most of the player base knowing that the new content is out, and the guild they're in sucks so bad that they wont see it for a few more months. HK is still really ruff on most of the raiding guilds (pre farm status).

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

Originally posted by teakbois

imho the need wasn't really there. there were only a handful of guilds that cleared HK until the recent wave of nerfs. took voodoo like 2 months+ or so to get the first clear in there. prior to this last nerf 20 guilds had gotten the squid down. as a company i don't think it makes a whole lotta sense to dump a fresh 20 man on players when only 400 players had gotten a clear. it would just frusterate most of the player base knowing that the new content is out, and the guild they're in sucks so bad that they wont see it for a few more months. HK is still really ruff on most of the raiding guilds (pre farm status).

I just remember the goold ole days hwere we had more than one raid to work on at a time.  There was (and still is) absolutely no reason for a tier 3 raid.  There should absolutely be more t2s however.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Ive reported several threads like this and they never go away.  And people respond to it so, when in rome...

Trust me been there and done that with Mike B. on what can be allowed on the Rift forums and how far it can go before they lay the hammer down. This is not the only site that had to add some rules to the book because of Rift. The game still inspires some serious hatred and love.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Eh. Combine Rift's dull-looking combat with the fact that it basically has 4 classes and 5 races (think about it) and I was pretty much dissatisfied relatively quickly.

Character customization is a huge draw to me in an MMORPG.. when its done right. But when you try to say that it's there when it really isn't, yeah, it annoys. Something most themeparks don't attempt to claim, because they legitimately don't have it.

.. But in a good way.

• 4 classes. 9 souls per class. 66 points to spend any way you want in any 3 souls at a time, 5 roles on you at a time and respec is damn near free. Rift has a crazy amount of options for your charecter. my mage does sick dps, tanks a boss in HK, can heal like a pro, and does sick support all in different builds.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

Yeah, that stinks. Never mind the new and very large zone, planar attunement, world events, adventures, 2-man instances, warfronts, alternate warfronts, pvp rifts, epic quest lines, and little-noticed tweeks of lower level quests and zones to fine-tune the leveling process. With no new 20 mans in the last few months it's clear that Trion is very slow to add content.

edit: Just for the record, River of Souls, Gilded Prophecy, The Drowned Halls, Hammerknell Fortress, and Caduceus Rise have all been added since launch.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Blacknd

Eh. Combine Rift's dull-looking combat with the fact that it basically has 4 classes and 5 races (think about it) and I was pretty much dissatisfied relatively quickly.

Character customization is a huge draw to me in an MMORPG.. when its done right. But when you try to say that it's there when it really isn't, yeah, it annoys. Something most themeparks don't attempt to claim, because they legitimately don't have it.

I'm not really certain what you mean by "customization." Take a rogue, for example. Depending on the souls you choose you can be a tank, a healer, melee dps, or ranged dps. I've enjoyed my rogues so much that I'm thinking about playing rogues exclusively since I have so many options with them. Clerics, also, can tank and heal and do moderate dps. Mages can be healers but also be great dps / support or straight dps - which could include high burst damage like a wow mage or high dot damage like a wow warlock. So if customization is actually your thing I would think Rift would be well-suited for you.

• DarquegrynDarquegryn Member Posts: 10

I have been a rift cleric from launch...I am currently not playing any MMO at all...

My last guild was 9/11 Hammerknell... got to say, that the soul system is a lie.  I have all these oportunities in my souls to tank. heal or dps...bah!  I can heal, That's about it, and most mages can do it better. Cleric tanks go squish very easily, and even with the recent buff cleric dps is crap.

Admitedly I wanted to heal when I rolled my cleric up... but my guild didn't need more heals.  I got cubbyholed into one of the standared "icar" builds"

Other peeps I know in other classes complain of similar issues... having to spec flavor of the month to perform.  If you want to give me variety, make it true variety, not the illusionary soul system.

Originally posted by iamflymolo

edit: Just for the record, River of Souls, Gilded Prophecy, The Drowned Halls, Hammerknell Fortress, and Caduceus Rise have all been added since launch.

So, one 20 man raid and one 5 man dungeon in 9 months.  And again, no level 1-45 content.  And nothing to address the lack of immersion.

Im not saying they havent added a lot of stuff, but they have added little or nothing to some areas that are lacking.  The best thing they did on paper was PA, but it was such a shallow and unimpressive implementation of it.