Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If it truly is KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.......

Is it worth 480$?

For those who have completed 1 of the classes to max level, full story complete, did it feel like KotOR in scope? Did it still feel that way after 2? 3?

Was that one class story that you completed worth the price of admission (compared to the box price of KotOR at launch)?

My current progress tells me that I won't have completed my first character's story once I have to start paying monthly, but I'm not concerned about having to pay a little more than admission to see it through (after all, I did buy a CE). So if I take 2 months to complete one character and then complete them all at that same pace I'll pay 300$ (well, 390$ because of the CE).

So that is 90$ less than buying 8 KotOR games (regular editions) if each story is, in fact, the same scope as KotOR. Providing nothing gets added to the game between now and 16 months after launch.

Powerlevelers: I appreciate your input, but I'm really looking for input from those who chose to experience the storie(s).

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Is it worth 480$?

For those who have completed 1 of the classes to max level, full story complete, did it feel like KotOR in scope? Did it still feel that way after 2? 3?

Was that one class story that you completed worth the price of admission (compared to the box price of KotOR at launch)?

My current progress tells me that I won't have completed my first character's story once I have to start paying monthly, but I'm not concerned about having to pay a little more than admission to see it through (after all, I did buy a CE). So if I take 2 months to complete one character and then complete them all at that same pace I'll pay 300$ (well, 390$ because of the CE).

So that is 90$ less than buying 8 KotOR games (regular editions) if each story is, in fact, the same scope as KotOR. Providing nothing gets added to the game between now and 16 months after launch.

Powerlevelers: I appreciate your input, but I'm really looking for input from those who chose to experience the storie(s).

For any MMO I consider if I play it one night over a month its worth the 10-15 I paid for it.  because 1 night out always costs more than that.

The real answer to the question is YMMV.  I cant imagine playing the game only for the story, its like going to a strip club and only looking at the featured dancer.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Another one of these threads? Yes it's worth it.  Plus, when they said that they were talking about the next 10 years of development as well, not just what was released.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Raserei

TBH, Bioware shouldn't be making MMO's. The story is fine, but name an MMO that tried to have a story. Massively Multiplayer Online "MMO".... This game offers very little incentive to group up for me while leveling, in fact, the process is time consuming and Id rather rushrushrush instead of socializing, despite the fact you get more exp while grouped.

While grouped, the party dialogue in groups lags, probably because my computer sucks as most people dont experience it this bad, and you must wait anywhere from 1 minute to 3 minutes PER paragraph an NPC says. Okay I am over exaggerating that last line to try to make this game seem as bad as i wish it was.  There are some NPC's who talk all day.... I did a flashpoint which literally should take 10 minutes if you just cleared the monsters but it took 2 hours because of text dialogue while in a party.  yet another huge exaggeration to make people hate this game, I hope it works

If time sinking is your thing, graphical lag, bugs, bugs, and more bugs is your thing. Get SW:TOR...It really doesnt have that much of this stuff, but its fun to say it does. I am not meant for an MMO market. I wish it had just been the next KOTOR with online multiplayer optional and allow 2-3 companions instead of 1 so you can solo everything.

The game has flaws but Im not really addressing them or blowing them out of proportion, I am just talking all negative in hopes you hate the game too!

edited for accuracy

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85

Originally posted by teakbois

TBH, Bioware shouldn't be making MMO's. The story is fine, but name an MMO that tried to have a story. Massively Multiplayer Online "MMO".... This game offers very little incentive to group up for me while leveling, in fact, the process is time consuming and Id rather rushrushrush instead of socializing, despite the fact you get more exp while grouped.

While grouped, the party dialogue in groups lags, probably because my computer sucks as most people dont experience it this bad, and you must wait anywhere from 1 minute to 3 minutes PER paragraph an NPC says. Okay I am over exaggerating that last line to try to make this game seem as bad as i wish it was.  There are some NPC's who talk all day.... I did a flashpoint which literally should take 10 minutes if you just cleared the monsters but it took 2 hours because of text dialogue while in a party.  yet another huge exaggeration to make people hate this game, I hope it works

If time sinking is your thing, graphical lag, bugs, bugs, and more bugs is your thing. Get SW:TOR...It really doesnt have that much of this stuff, but its fun to say it does. I am not meant for an MMO market. I wish it had just been the next KOTOR with online multiplayer optional and allow 2-3 companions instead of 1 so you can solo everything.

The game has flaws but Im not really addressing them or blowing them out of proportion, I am just talking all negative in hopes you hate the game too!

edited for accuracy

All I can say is +1

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by ducesettutam

" "

edited for accuracy

All I can say is +1

Teakbois just won this thread,  lets lock it meow

C

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

That is such a false claim.

The story isn't nearly as good, it's basically standard MMO quests with chatweel cutscenes to link it all up. I wish they made KOTOR 3 instead for story, it would have been so much better than what is in SWTOR. I just got so bored of the questing I just leveled up on PVP but then I got bored of the same three battlegrounds as Ilum is broken. The flashpoints after the first one aren't very good and once you've run it once you skip all the cutscenes the next time because it's the same thing.

So really it's a lot of standard around waiting for more content, reminds me of DCUO where you could get to level 30 in a weekend and then have nothing to do. The funny thing is if you roll an ALT you'll be doing all the same quests apart from a very small part that is the class based stuff. If you roll an ALT of the other side it feels exactly the same again only the choices are more evil. The whole story aspect of the game is fun the first time and then becomes so repetitive because they built it so linear.

People say "why rush you're missing out on all the story" but this isn't Skyrim, it's a linear path all the way through the game. Even the planets are built in a linear questing fashion where you're pushed to the next questing hub on that planet. Just because they open up abit doesn't stop them from being linear because they all force you to go where they want you to. So you cannot possibly miss any of the story and besides after the third planet I got bored of the quests and only stuck to the class based stuff and leveled up on PVP. Half way through the game the class based quest got so boring I didn't even bother with that, it just sort of fizzles out like GTA 4 does.

I've unsubscribed until they release an expansion or something that adds lots of content for the game. Three of my friends have unsubscribed as well and the other two players are hanging on by a thread, they're just in the middle of rolling Republic classes so they don't have to do huttball and the time.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by ducesettutam

edited for accuracy

All I can say is +1

Yep, this is very true. The people making these type of claims are just pissed that they can't blow thru the game like on WOW. This one actully forces you to think and learn your class. I know, HORRIBLE thought for today's kiddies but too bad. Some of the classes are easier than others, but all require you to learn your class and keep your gear upgraded. Can't tell you how many players I've had to tell this to. So many of them are used to blowing thru to end game on MMOs without having to worry about such things.

I also have to ask what kind of rigs some of these people are playing on. My computer is only a few years old and the only thing Ive upgraded on it is the power supply and graphics card, which is standard if you want to play any of today's PC Games on a store bought computer. Total cost of upgrading both was less than $300. If that's too much then my suggestion would be for these people to spend less time worrying about gaming and more time in getting a job. For me, the game is a TAD sluggish in a few cities, but hardly anything to bitch about. I experienced FAR worse in SWG and WAR.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

edited for accuracy

Well done.  I enjoyed.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

edited for accuracy

*laughs* That was a good one. Nicely done.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I wish Bioware made Kotor 2 as well but this is the direction they chose to go in.

Not sure about anyone else but I feel like all the "there's nothing to do after the story" people aren't the raiding type.

"They only launched with two operations (raid), what a joke of an end-game!"  

How soon we all forget that WoW launched with only 2 raids (MC, Ony). If you wanted a single-player game, go play Skyrim. Everyone hates on the raiding process because of the loot cycle, which I agree does need to be innovated. But am I the only one who raids because I enjoy taking on challenging tasks that require teamwork and coordination and each person knowing how to play their role?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I wasn't really interested in the MMO features of this game just because I knew it would probably be same old and I'm sick of that at this point.  So I was really looking at it to offer a great SPRPG experience.  And well...it fell short of that in my opinion.

The main reason is the pacing.  You see, in an SPRPG, you are typically interacting with the story A LOT.  You may go through a dungeon with not much story interaction, but the dungeon usually won't be too long, and there is nearly always a few story segments inside the dungeon to keep you involved.  And yes, there are sidequests in an SPRPG but they are truly optional, they just give you an option if you want a break from the story.  So I feel like SPRPGs generally do a good job at pacing the story well to keep you involved.

But in SWTOR...this just isn't the case.  On the first planet, it does a pretty good job of pacing the story, everything is fairly close together and you get story quest after story quest.  But then after that...the pacing just seems to fall flat.  You'll have to do a bunch of (IMO boring) side quests along with your story quests.  So the time between story quests can wind up being very large, it essentially feels like you are trying to watch a TV show with half an hour commercials.  I just lose interest in the story.

And these really aren't optional, if you don't do them, you won't be high enough level to continue the story.  Granted you could PvP or do flashpoints to get to the appropriate level, but it's the same difference, time away from the story.

Oh and this brings up another negative.  If you DO decide to do a bunch of PvP or flashpoints in-between the story because you want a break, then you will out-level the story area and the story quests will be extremely dull and offer no exp reward.

So I would have really preferred that BW just made SPRPGs.  I feel like the MMORPG "mold" that SWTOR was forced into really hurts the pacing of the story.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I actually seperate each planet by class and planet quests when I had my first char. 

Sometimes I clear out all class quests first THEN I clear out the planet series and side quests or I do the planet series then finish off the class quests.   I dont like having a bajillion missions in the same place so I just pace it that way myself.  Sometimes I also just run around killing stuff and gathering nodes for my crafting.  It pretty much makes mee feel like Im playing KOTOR again.  Except without the inability to go back to taris and finish side quests cuz the damned sith bombed them. o.o 

I tried other classes too but I just like the smuggler.  After all, I made all my chars in Kotor pistol wielders. I have no interest in lightsabers or the force.  Just pistol shooting, shotgun blasting, nut kicking, never healing scoundrel that goes around doing whatever she pleases.  Except buying droids.  I HATE HOW I CANT BUY BATTLE DROIDS!!!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

TBH, Bioware shouldn't be making MMO's. The story is fine, but name an MMO that succeeded only because of it's story. Massively Multiplayer Online "MMO".... This game offers very little incentive to group up while leveling, in fact, the process is time consuming.

While grouped, the party dialogue in groups lags and you must wait anywhere from 1 minute to 3 minutes PER paragraph an NPC says. There are some NPC's who talk all day.... I did a flashpoint which literally should take 10 minutes if you just cleared the monsters but it took 2 hours because of text dialogue while in a party.

If time sinking is your thing, graphical lag, bugs, bugs, and more bugs is your thing. Get SW:TOR.... This game is not meant for an MMO market. Should have just been the next KOTOR with online multiplayer optional and allow 2-3 companions instead of 1 so you can solo everything.

Everything above is complete bullshit.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

the story writing in TOR is a joke. 

the only thing that you can consider story is the class quests and that's approximately 10%-15% of the game.

the rest is just meaningless dragging.

"I had turds with better story"

i mean, i can go to the toilet and take a dump, but that's still no reason to call 1 million people and say look here i made content. i just flush it down.

also the revan novel pissed all over kotor's story, so they pretty much screwed up a possible sequel.

good job!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

This game is very worth it.

As for the question about how much money it's worth, you're gonna be paying a subscription so add that up over the amount of time it would take to make up to KOTOR 10 in singleplayer rpg's. :D

The storylines in this game are fantastic for the most part, theres a couple I don't care for but that's mainly due to class preferance over anyhting else. Anyone who says otherwise must not like RPG's. The missions outside of the class specific missions are also really well done. I wish all MMO's were more like this game, it's about time there was a MMO that had the RPG in it. They blend the MMO and the RPG together flawlessly to create what they've created, and that's easily the best MMORPG I've ever played, and one of my favorite games all together so far.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

TBH, Bioware shouldn't be making MMO's. The story is fine, but name an MMO that succeeded only because of it's story. Massively Multiplayer Online "MMO".... This game offers very little incentive to group up while leveling, in fact, the process is time consuming.

How do you figure?  It offers more incentive than any other themepark MMO on the market.  Have you even played the game?

Heroic quests that offer great gear rewards on every planet

Flaspoints.

Warzones.

World bosses.

Public Dungeons in heroic zones. 

Social points that you can ONLY get through grouping, which give you access to planet-specific customizable gear.

Of course you can play this game to solo up to level cap.  What themepark released in the last 7 years can't you do that for?  But this game really shines when you play it with other people.  Anyone saying this game shouldn't be an MMO doesn't have a clue.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Just my opinion, OP...

But taking any game, slicing it up, then comparing bits of it to another game is kinda pointless from a value standpoint.  It's like when people took Fallout 3, and opined that it wasn't a very good FPS...

Removing everything MMO from TOR, then comparing it to KOTOR to determine its "overall value"... what's the point, really?

• Deadeye31Deadeye31 Member Posts: 50
    ITT: people thinking that linear, solo game play is some how bad when that is the bread and butter of theme park MMOs since WOW. also, on a funnier note, people who probably couldn't write a single page of story try to criticize professional writers who, quite frankly did a damn good job. If you think you can do better, please, go to blog spot or someplace online and write a better story. After all, you should be getting paid for your talent and I would love to read it because it must be pretty damn good to be better than TOR's.
  • Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

It is actually physically annoying reading all these fanbois & fangurlz praise this game.

There is little to no social aspect in this MMO. It basically is a Single Player RPG with a chat system.

1. The LFG function is clunky and hidden away, so its both useless and rarely used.

2. If and when you do find a group. (most likely through spamming general chat) People arent inclined to converse with eachother because the Flashpoints or Heroic quests are so mind numbingly dumbed down to another kill quest, everyone just facerolls through them without thought.

3. Most of the content can be Solo'd using one of your Companions, which makes looking for a group pointless.

4. Everyones story is largely the same, save for their class/companion quests. (whose plots are both vague and short lived)

5. Every mission is a kill quest. Except for the fetch quests... which are usually blocked by enemies so it turns into a kill quest anyway...

6. PvP is horrible and is designed to only cater to max level players, and does an excellent job of discouraging lower level players from even participating thanks to some genious who thought putting every in the lvl 10-50 range in the same bracket. (which basically lets 50's in PvP gear dominate most folks)

7. Minimal replayability, since you'll be repeating most quests on all 4 classes in your faction. Which is fine if you like sifting through the repetative quest to get to your class story...

But this is just my Opinion. I'm allowed to have one, and so are you.

Don't take my word for it though, You may like the game, but I don't. Myself... I will probably try to power through the rest of my characters story before my sub runs out, but then it's back to Skyrim for me until GW2 is launched.

TL;DR: Try it, you might like it... but probably won't.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Kreedz

It is actually physically annoying reading all these fanbois & fangurlz praise this game.

There is little to no social aspect in this MMO. It basically is a Single Player RPG with a chat system.

1. The LFG function is clunky and hidden away, so its both useless and rarely used.

2. If and when you do find a group. (most likely through spamming general chat) People arent inclined to converse with eachother because the Flashpoints or Heroic quests are so mind numbingly dumbed down to another kill quest, everyone just facerolls through them without thought.

3. Most of the content can be Solo'd using one of your Companions, which makes looking for a group pointless.

4. Everyones story is largely the same, save for their class/companion quests. (whose plots are both vague and short lived)

5. Every mission is a kill quest. Except for the fetch quests... which are usually blocked by enemies so it turns into a kill quest anyway...

6. PvP is horrible and is designed to only cater to max level players, and does an excellent job of discouraging lower level players from even participating thanks to some genious who thought putting every in the lvl 10-50 range in the same bracket. (which basically lets 50's in PvP gear dominate most folks)

7. Minimal replayability, since you'll be repeating most quests on all 4 classes in your faction. Which is fine if you like sifting through the repetative quest to get to your class story...

But this is just my Opinion. I'm allowed to have one, and so are you.

Don't take my word for it though, You may like the game, but I don't. Myself... I will probably try to power through the rest of my characters story before my sub runs out, but then it's back to Skyrim for me until GW2 is launched.

TL;DR: Try it, you might like it... but probably won't.

I have feelings similar to yours on the game.

But let me just add that there are a lot of gamers that love this game.  Even well-known personalities like TotalBiscuit really like this game.  So it really may be worth it to try the game.  Just ask yourself if a hybrid between a Bioware RPG and WoW will appeal to you.  If the answer is yes, then you may like the game.

You may wind up like Kreedz and I and be disappointed or you may really like it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?