Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will my laptop run swtor?

peakaboopeakaboo Member Posts: 22

I'd be interested to give swtor a shot but my laptop is very old and I have my doubts about it being able to run the game properly, if at all. Unfortunately money is really tight right now and I can't afford, nor am I willing to buy a new computer in order to run one game I might like. That's why I'd simply want to know if I'll be able to run swtor with my laptop with everything on low with decent fps, or if I'm better off not buying the game. Here are my system specs:

AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20 GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 Series

4 GB of RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

I've been able to play cataclysm just fine with no fps issues with this laptop, but at the same time I know swtor is more demanding than wow. The thing is that I've played games with outdated systems before, and if the fps is too low I simply can't enjoy the game no matter how well it is made. That's why I'd really appreciate it if I could get some honest opinions so that I don't spend a lot of money on a game that I'll be unable to enjoy because of performance issues. Thank you.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Will SWTOR run, as opposed to making the laptop spontaneously combust?  Yes.  Will it be playable at low graphical settings?  Somewhat, but not smooth.  Different people have different standards on frame rates.  You can probably get a frame rate into the 20s, at least, and higher than that in areas that aren't busy.

• peakaboopeakaboo Member Posts: 22

Thank you for the reply. I'd be fine with an average fps of 30+, but 20 does sound too low, not to mention below that. Looks like I'm going to have to pass on the game for now, maybe I'll give it a try in a couple of months or a year once the price has gone down just to see how I'll be able to run it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by peakaboo

Thank you for the reply. I'd be fine with an average fps of 30+, but 20 does sound too low, not to mention below that. Looks like I'm going to have to pass on the game for now, maybe I'll give it a try in a couple of months or a year once the price has gone down just to see how I'll be able to run it.

MMOs will offer a free trial pretty soon after release, you might as well wait for that so you will be sure.

Another option is to have a friend with the game install it on the laptop and try it out a little, it is easy to bring the laptop so someone you know after all.

Laptops do have great mobility but until nano technology gets better heat is a big issue for graphic cards which mean putting a a good FX card requires a lot of work. Gaming laptops do exist but they are extremely expensive.

Most people who needs a gaming coputer and something they can move get a cheap laptop and have a medium range desktop at home as well, it is a lot cheaper than a good gaming laptop.

Laptops are also a lot harder to upgrade whih mean that old games like Wow and Guildwars will be the only ones that really works fine for you.