It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Originally posted by Scot The thing that strikes you throughout the predictions is that they are so remarkably upbeat. MMO’s just go from strength to strength each year. That would be so wonderful if it were not wrong. 10) Mobile MMO’s are the latest in a long line of trends towards simplicity; they are on mobiles so they don’t have the processing power. We saw what happened to MMO’s when they started to be made for consoles as well as PC’s, simplistic graphics, dodgy PC controls. I am not saying graphics have not improved, but they are improving at a console pace, not a PC pace. Worst of all though is the expansion of the player base. Consoles brought in loads of teenagers which made MMO’s loose much of their maturity and finally be made for those less mature. Now we have mobiles, wake up guys, what do you think is going to happen to MMO’s now? What age group is on their mobile’s all the time? What age group spends more money on throw away consumables than any other? MMO’s will become even more the domain of the under 20’s. But not only that, mobiles are not a gaming device, consoles are, MMO designers will do their best to be as inclusive of everyone who owns a mobile. The further influence of mobiles will be change the nature of what a MMO is, I really don’t want to spend my MMO life looking after a farm. 9) Social media are taking over gaming, but that’s not a good thing. Games were once made for gamers, now there is a shift to make them for Facepalm uses and Twitless types. I do know gamers use these sites, maybe you do? But you are a minority there, the new games will move in the direction of the majority, business always goes where the money is. 8) I agree that there will be fusion between different MMO genres, but we have seen that before and it has not always been a resounding success. Here it’s painted as if nothing can go wrong. We have already ended up with games that are a mish-mash of ideas pandering to everyone and satisfying no one long term. More of the same seems certain in the New Year. 7) The great hope is indie MMO’s but MMO’s started out as being rather ‘indie’ themselves. They were niche games made by newcomers as much as established gaming companies. Fifteen years later and they are totally corporate in outlook. How long before the indie companies are snapped up by the giants? EA, Sony, Times-Warner…there are some very big beasts out there who want a bite of every pie. 6 and 5) More hype on the way…yeah! 4) Breaking news…WoW will release a new expansion in 2012. This is wonderful surprise news for the MMO genre! Oh and more hype on the way! 3) More hype on the way…yeah! 2) More hype on the way…yeah! 1) The granddaddy of all Hype will begin as Blizzard announces their new MMO. More hype on the way…yeah! In conclusion 2012 MMO will be a year of little innovation, more easymode and the trend of MMO’s to become designed for people who are not gamers will continue. Oh and one heck of a lot of hype. Yeah its going to be a real ‘doozy’.
I would disagree with the conclusion. In my opinion, there is a revolution coming to the world of mmo. Devs realize that the traditional mmo`s will no longer attract enough players since we are all looking for a change, for something new. Declining WoW imo kind of proves that players are fed up with old, traditional ways of doing things. Consequently, little innovation would not really make enough profit. (Rift and SWTOR will fail because all they bring is the same old boredom)
I`d say that announcement of Titan (and maybe even ArcheAge) will bring a tremendous change to the MMO`s - so called NEXT GEN MMOs.
if thats the only big ne3ws for 2012 it's gonna be a damn stale years for mmos. you left out the sunstone valley expansion coming to free realms i believe spring of this year. and cummon tor is gonna have a big content push this year...and what about the game trion is developing with syfy what happened to that
so say we all
Nice one, but why not yet Reader's GOTY? Maybe because you cannot do EAWare SW:CRAP more advertising?
And, btw, still no innovation? Well, i still remain on F2P games. Call me when we should have a really innovative great game. Because grinding MMOs are boring, now and forever.
My blog about (no more)MMORPG Addicted - a bog about videogames, cinema, politics and other things (in Italian)
1. Anybody who believes SWTOR is going to go F2P this year I would like a wager. This is going to be the mmo that is going to win the most subs at the end of the year. Mark my words, no matter what you think of it, or what it needs it is going to win the most subs. Especially if they are on point with the expansions and new content patches.
2. TSW is going to set the standard for the niche AAA mmorpg. Yes Funcom messed up on the past on its mmos- before Ragnar was in charge. this guy being in charge of a mmo is a big big deal. The only reason this game is not going to be the high sub game is because its content is too high end intelligencia for the common mmorpg gamer, and I am glad its this way. I expect to see alot of whining posts about the game being boring by alot of the casuals or typical themepark crowd, or asking why the game doesn't have FFA pvp, and I am gong to smile because this is not the game for either one of those groups. This is the game for the old school PC gamers who enjoyed The Longest Journey and Dreamfall as well as games like Planescape:Torment. TSW is going to be the PC nerds mmo, and that is good in my eyes. It will have smaller sub numbers with a hardcore fanbase. Which is all that Funcom needs. Ragnar is not going to let his baby fail. I am willing to place a bet on that one. Any takers?
3. GW2 is seriously being overhyped by its fans, its also another mmorpg with the same tired old storyline the world vs the dragons- again. Haven't we seen this before? I mean hey I'm going to get this game because its B2P mainly but I honestly think that this and Copernicus and WoW being out at the same time is going to pretty much kill the Euro fantasy themepark mmorpg. If SOE- asses they are really make EQNEXT a sandbox they are going to clean house. The EURO fantasy AAA themepark is on its way out. Tired cliche storylines, tired cliche presentation of races is going to make this sub genre obsolete.
Zenimax IS making a TES mmorpg,and even if it has half the features its single player games have these other fantasy mmos are dead. Euro fantasy mmo developers really need to take a look at the stories they are providing- they are killing their own genre with their presentation and they need to leave the dragon thing along for a very very looong time. Golems, Demons, Vampires whatever, just please please stop it with all the dragons already, to a CASUAL mmo fan your game looks no different from WoW. Come up with a new big bad for once and leave all the typical ones alone, and please god some fresh new takes on races (how bout some damn evil elves for once eh? I mean you see them all the time in other gaming genres).
GW2 will be a good game, but it is not going to save the world and its not going to live to expectations because the expectations are too damn high right now and I will say it again, its PRESENTATION when it comes to world design (not gameplay features) does not set it apart enough for the casual mmo player. This is going to be a niche AAA mmo with alot of its box sales coming from the PVP crowd who brought the previous version, and those like myself who will buy it because its B2P and I do not see this game launching before TSW. I think its going to launch between June and September myself. I honestly think they blew it with the world design and the one thing that made GW ridiculously cool- its humans. By putting all the humans under one roof and basically one choice, they lost what makes them special. These guys really could have pushed their various human races in their advertising, because outside of fantasy nerds if you think Asuras or the plant elf race would be more popular than a seperate Canthan or Elonian race with their own starting areas then you are seriously mistaken. It was a mistake to focus on the non human races. The Charr is the only one worth mentioning, the rest are a bunch of tired fantasy cliches and the Asura is a bit to animeish for the typical western EURO fantasy gamer, yes I know you love it, but the average mmo player- esp casuals will not. Not having a focus on Cantha and Elona and letting them have their own starting areas from day one is a big big mistake. Seems like even in 2012 devs still have no idea of player race representation in their mmorpgs and how to cash in on this, and this is very very sad. If they focused on their various flavors of humans more and really plugged them they would be placed into a different category outside of WoW that B2P model would also reaaally help with this kind of focus. *Puts a niche AAA mmorpg stamp on this one.
4. Wildstar is not coming this year, but as more and more gets revealed about it its going to attract a very very interested fanbase. Personally I think this game if done as the devs say they are going to do it is going to set the new standard of the sandpark (themepark/sandbox) mmo. Which is going to be a damn good thing.
5. The rise of the Asian mmorpg in america- Archeage if picked up is going to also set some good standards, we wont see it till 2013 and it will never be the commercial hit that many think it should be, but it will also be a new entry in what I think will be another future mmorpg staple- the niche AAA mmorpg. I just hope that they can get the combat down right. Bad enough that they are going to have to deal with close minded racist americans who won't play an asian mmo because it looks "animeish'' *facepalms. Age of Wulin also looks promising with some of its features like your toon turning into an npc when you log off. Yes the game is gong to be niche, but it does have features that devs need to take notice on.
6. THQ is going to kill its own mmo with that damn two faction mess, especially with Planetside 2 coming out. I don't think these guys know what they have honestly. I want WAR 40k to do very well but I don't think its going to. Planetside 2 is going to strangle this game in the mmofps category because I have a funny feeling that THQ is not going to focus on the Warhammer fans more than they are going to focus on the fps fans.
7. Tera is going to be the fantasy DCUO with less subs, Lineage Eternal looks like its going to whoop the butt of Diablo 3, and GW2 will launch after TSW.
8. There will be one wildcard mmo announcement this year. I don't know what it is but I can feel it in my bones. Its going to be signififcant.
Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!
Originally posted by oubers Originally posted by wormywyrm I will laugh until my sides turn red if blizzards new MMO is a sandbox and is a huge hit. First MMOs are for 'hardcore gamers only' and not casual gamers. Blizzard proves them wrong. Now its 'nobody wants to make a sandbox because casual gamers don't like it'... Prove them wrong Blizzard!!
i REALY hope you are right on this one.....i can dream cant i? hehe
But reality will be more like something e-sport/ladder kinda mmo me thinks.
They need something new to shine next to SC2 e-sports and wow pvp battlegrounds (hmm also e-sports).
They already showing (if you can listen closely in their interviews) that all their games (see also the upcomming D3) will include some form of e-sports.
I have nothing against this but it will always be TOO controlled by blizz......player content isnt under their controle and thereby will not happen.
So dont even think blizz will EVER make a sandbox.
My hopes are that Archeage will deliver some of the sandbox goods UO used to have.
Yes, I agree 100%. I was dreaming too... Aside from the E-Sport thing, which is a great point, Blizzard has a certain feel to their games and I believe a sandbox would seriously break that.
Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.
Can someone link the 2011 Article that was like this so we can see what they got right and what didn't come to pass.
Originally posted by Ozmodan ... GW exercises far too much control over it's IP, just like LA, they poison everything they touch when it comes to on line games, they just don't understand the genre at all. WH 40k will remain with two factions and go down in flames because of it. ...
This post does not quite make any sense. Yes, GW does hold their IP closely to their chest but it is not GW who told Vigil to make it two factions but Vigil itself (most likely because it's easier to make).
MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.
Unless something goes terribly wrong I would estimate that GW2 will be released in the spring. Sept. seems a bit far off for a game entering closed beta.
Originally posted by Zyllos Originally posted by Ozmodan ... GW exercises far too much control over it's IP, just like LA, they poison everything they touch when it comes to on line games, they just don't understand the genre at all. WH 40k will remain with two factions and go down in flames because of it. ...
Not true, they insisted that WAR be two factions and insisted WH-40k be the same. GW is the true problem here not the development staff in either instance.
Originally posted by Maquiame or asking why the game doesn't have FFA pvp, and I am gong to smile because this is not the game for either one of those groups. This is the game for the old school PC gamers
Wrong - Old school PC Gamers can take a bullet without crying
You guys seem to be forgeting
2012 will be the end of the world, lol except like the last 5 times the religons have said it they will finally relize that the tribes just got tired of making something they were never going to need.
No Planetside 2? Looks pretty cool....
Originally posted by citadelli No Planetside 2? Looks pretty cool....
I know right? I believe Planetside 2 will do amazing, and set new standards for MMO's.
Guild wars 2 will be released in 2012!?!?
How are we supposed tobelieve anything in this list..
Originally posted by wormywyrm Originally posted by Cthulhu23 Originally posted by wormywyrm I think that SWTOR will running strong as free to play by the end of 2012 or early 2013. That is the only change to these predictions I would make.
LOL. Simply hilarious.
This game has low long term playability due to its focus on story based content which will push them towards expanding their user base via strategies like F2P. What is hilarious?
The tunnel vision some people are suffering from.
I thought project Titan was the Pandaria expansion for WoW. You think people just misunderstood Blizzard and there is no MMO that they are working on? People just expect Blizzard to be working on a new MMO but they aren't?
Btw I've done shit research on this, so don't bother flaming me on this because I really REALLY don't care.
Originally posted by Maquiame 1. Anybody who believes SWTOR is going to go F2P this year I would like a wager. This is going to be the mmo that is going to win the most subs at the end of the year. Mark my words
SWToR is already falling in subs, people leaving in masses. And it will be much worse for the game in future
Indie games are going to rule MMOs this year. Dominus is going to take the gaming world by storm and we will see a change back to what playing an MMO should be. We need to stop all the money making scams they are giving us called MMOs today. Some are not even worth the box price any longer.
Can't wait for Silent World and Planetside either. See that all 3 games mentioned are 3 faction MMOs.
2012 wow 11' did go by fast.
For the list:
10: Great time to carry a gun while driving when this happens.
9: Facebook. Nice now we can update our "freinds" in the new mmo when we are taking a shit, all day every day 24/7 365 days a year. This will not go well long term.
8: MOBA's Hopefully and GOOD.
7: Also a great thing. Since indie studios are really the only ones worth a crap anymore.
6: It's FunCom. It will suck. Period. If you disagree fine..YOU buy it. I will wait and see.
5: This could be good.
4: This will cost this game a few million gamer subs and attract a few million of the pokemon 10 year old crowd. Get out now while you still have some dignity as a human being.
3: This might be good. My gut tells me it will suck.
2: GOD I HOPE SO.
1: Who cares. Whne they officially say anything it will be to the tune of "We are making Titan ...that is all check back in 15 years for more information." Also there will be a cash shop and nothing meaningful in game.
2012 hopefuly will have more info about mechwarrior online and hopefully it wont suck ass. It is going to be a ftp game so it will probably suck. But heres to hopeing it doesn't.
And Archage. Maybe something will come out of Archage this year. That is the big one I am hoping for. That game looks better than all this western shit combined. Time will tell.
titan wont be announced since there will be no blizzcon this year....
blizzard dont have anything else to show....
next blizzcon is in 2013 IF they have something to announce and probably Ptitan will be
Originally posted by mindw0rk Originally posted by Maquiame 1. Anybody who believes SWTOR is going to go F2P this year I would like a wager. This is going to be the mmo that is going to win the most subs at the end of the year. Mark my words
the wow fangirls are leaving but believe me the game is doing FINE lol....
and no it will not be worse in the future its already got the first content and the next one is in 1-2 month MAJOR pvp content.
all the servers (eu) are all full except 1 or 2
the game is doing great and again as the other guy said if u think this game will fail or go f2p then dude keep dreaming.
It will gain more subs than loosing this year...no TSW,no TERA either that f2p crap gw2 wont stop it.