Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: The 10 Year Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dark Age of Camelot recently celebrated its tenth anniversary, a veritable lifetime in the Internet Age. We had the opportunity to sit down to chat with Producer Stuart Zissu and discuss all things DAoC. Keep reading and then share your thoughts in the comments.

Dark Age of Camelot just past the 10 year mark, tell us about the game and why it has been popular for so long.

With 10 years behind us, there is a lot of memories, love, and content that all go into what makes DAoC so popular. Three Realm RvR is the key pillar that everyone points to as our biggest asset. Realm pride and the feeling that the war between Albion, Midgard, and Hibernia is constantly changing keeps people engaged year after year. In addition, the community (both new and old) make this game more of a living world than any piece of dev created content could hope to do.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Dark Age of Camelot: The 10 Year Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

If only they upgraded the graphics engine and modernized the UI, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Classic PvP server...PLEASE!

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I have never played DAoC, but I always check out the stories and threads. The love for this 10 year title is overwhelming and almost enough to get me to bite. You would be hard pressed to find any negativity towards it aside from graphics and maybe UI. Graphics for me are not the deciding factor. Fun is. This game seems to have that. A F2P model with an item shop (as much as I loathe those) might be what it takes for me. With SWToR, Rift and WoW, I just can't afford any more subs.
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by kishe

If only they upgraded the graphics engine and modernized the UI, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

I agree..

Mythic should never of made WAR,they should of made DAOC 2.image

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I can wholeheartedly get behind this.  Make the UI new and shiny, add some features, and update the visuals.  Hell put some money behind the questing to bring it up to speed too.

DAOC 2 could literally just be a remake and so many people would find out they love this sort of warfare.  /shrug

I hope one day.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by BillMurphy

I can wholeheartedly get behind this.  Make the UI new and shiny, add some features, and update the visuals.  Hell put some money behind the questing to bring it up to speed too.

DAOC 2 could literally just be a remake and so many people would find out they love this sort of warfare.  /shrug

I hope one day.

I actually like the graphics. I'd be fine with updated graphics of course, but I do hope they would make the updated graphics in the same looking style as the old graphics.

Also, I think they should improve PVE a little bit. The PVE has always been a little on the bland side. With PVP being so complex, maybe they could make PVE a little more engaging. Also, I want to be able to group up at low level PVE.

If all that would happen, I would go back as well. I'd even pay a 15 dollar sub.

• smellyfeetsmellyfeet Member Posts: 4

RIFT level gfx would be wonderful for DAoC or just get the EA suits to reauthorize Dawn of Camelot's budget.  This game has so much potential left, it's a shame to see it withering away on the vine.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I agree a small graphics and ui update would go a long way. I miss the game a lot.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I hope one day.

Agreed

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I hope one day.

I could totally get behind that. I never got a chance to play DAOC in its heyday and from what I hear WAR only scratched the surface of how good DAOC's RvR was.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Apparently this game "Dominus" is supposed to be a spiritual successor to DAOC, which I never played. Not sure why the two faction gameplay became so popular (maybe because of WoW) but as far as I'm concerned 3-6 is a good number. Darkfall had 6 and that was pretty cool.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

DAoC and the original SWG are my two favorite MMo games made.

• GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

EQ got me hooked on MMOs, but it was DAOC that reeled me in.  Bought it a week after it came out, and blame it for the loss of a job & a failed relationship (both sucked, so it was a good thing).

Updated GFX, UI, and PvE would probably bring me back, but come up with a better way to do stealth (based on cover and lighting), get rid of the /point and /stick, and make it to where PvP isn't so much about "Who gets off the first stun/mez wins" in addition to the GFX/UI/PVE changes and I'd be back in a heartbeat.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

The day after DAoC went live a friend of mine talked me into buying it and giving it a go.

I played that game daily for 3+ years and off and on for another 2+ years. Some of the best times I have ever had in a game period.

I remember stuff like - when they itemized the Barrows. On our server I was in the 1st  8man group to take a keep, I was the highest realm rank Paladin for 6 months and in the top 3 for over a year. A Shadowblade found a way to cross into Alb and camped one of the dungeon entrances for hours until a GM kicked him back to Mid. I remember taking the day off work when Mordred went live and being pissed when the server was full 2 minutes after it went live. The Left Axe nerf, and Being a PvP god on a shadowblade prior to LA nerf. Geez I could go on and on..

Ah the memories. Granted I was younger, not married and had no kids at that time. So a 16 hour day in DAoC was not uncommon at all lol.

I will always have fond memories of DAoC and would love DAoC 2.

Even tho Life would not permit me to play at the level I did in DAoC anymore .

DAoC will always have a special place in gaming memories, maybe cause it was my first MMO, or maybe cause everything since then has pretty much sucked o.O

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Uo then Daoc and everything came out just downhill since then b/c everyone wants to be the next WoW clone.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

The gameplay could use work too.  RvR isn't fun because of the gameplay and certainly not due to any sort of class balancing.  It was just a great 3 realm rather open world pvp system that was great and would be great in many existing mmos if transplanted onto them.  Sadly new frontiers was a failure imo.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The RVR was the best PVP I have experienced in a MMO.  The crowd control and stealth were a bit too much, but it was a great experience still.

They put a very grindy questline in that gave access to some very overpowered abilities in the Trials in Atlantis and the casual population for the main part departed.  Great title hurt by over zealous developers.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

I would love to know where the author came up with daoc long being heralded as having the "best" pvp. Of course the die hard daoc fanatics would say that just like the die hard vanguard players claim that game to be the best game ever despite reality.

The reality is daoc has always had the worse pvp. Level is more important than skill(mitigated these days by bgs with about a 5 level spread). CC has always been ridiculous. Absolute horrible casting system for any pvp game. Lets see some guy 3 football fields away is looking at me funny so it interrupts my spell? really? Now i cant even attempt another spell for 5 secs? really?

Assaulting/defending keeps is the only semi fun pvp in daoc. Every other encounter goes one of two ways:

1. Zerged

2. Drive by mez,focus fired down while you cant fight back.

Neither is fun,neither involves skill,and neither is remotely rewarding.

The comical thing is that this game was better as a pve game with its positional attacks,reactive abilities,and weapon chains. Shadowbane had far superior pvp,hell even eq1 and wow had much better pvp. 3 realms and keep warfare is the only "boon" daoc brings,sadly those cant make up for the rest of its shortcomings.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

People seem to forget the best part about DoaC was Strategy... thats why one experienced player was able to take out A small group... and A small experienced group were able to take out multiple groups. There are a few counters for stealth and Mesmerize (atleast when I played)... so instead of trying to "Dumb Down" the game you guys should wise-up and try to learn how to PvP successfully.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Alot of us play 24hrs to defend the relics.  PPL would get up 4AM for the relic raid, 99% of ppl would put down whatever they were doing to go defend the relics.  No other mmo have such impact on players. 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Truelevel

People seem to forget the best part about DoaC was Strategy... thats why one experienced player was able to take out A small group... and A small experienced group were able to take out multiple groups. There are a few counters for stealth and Mesmerize (atleast when I played)... so instead of trying to "Dumb Down" the game you guys should wise-up and try to learn how to PvP successfully.

Agreed. I forgot about stealth though. I wouldn't go back to the game if stealth in it's current form is still in the game. It is a completely pointless aspect of the game, and ruins the experience everytime I go back. If it weren't for stealth, I'd have played so much more.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

. . .yep and give me a classic pvp server to start fresh on, and I'd be all over that.  What a wonderful experience DAoC was and too bad it had dried up, and as mentioned, way too bad that WAR was nothing remotely as well designed or implemented with their pvp as it should have been.

Hehe...all this reminiscing makes me sad. :)

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I played EQ for like a year and wanted to break something the whole time.  DAoC improved upon so many things that I was THRILLED and ended up playing for 5 years.  The end game RVR is something which just hasn't ever been matched.  The combat positionals, reactive abilities and strategy have been a hole that nothing has filled since I left.  Working towards new RVR abilities really gave you a reason to PVP.

That being said, yes there were a few issues that were lame, such as casters who couldn't cast once combat was entered, so they were always free kills to stealthers.  Also, it could sometimes be very slow on the frontier when you were trying to find some action.

If they gave the game an update and a UI overhaul though, I would jump back on board for sure.  DAoC 2 will always be the dream.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Have to agree...

DAOC had some of the best PvP available. It wasn't neccesarilly the actual combat as much as the coincidental contact with the enemy. Oppertunity everywhere to play & do whatever you liked.

Hide in a pass for hours scouting for groups passing.. so u can direct the ambush about to take place. It was free form and 100% enjoyable!

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• PhirmwarePhirmware Member UncommonPosts: 43

I agree. 

Update the graphics and the UI and I'll jump back on my friar in a second.  To this day, he's still one of my all time favorite MMO characters.