Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Early Access Starts January 5th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Star Trek Online site has been updated with the news that current and lapsed subscribers will be able to take advantage of the new F2P iteration beginning Thursday, January 5th. They will have access to the Silver level of the game for one month.

Starting tomorrow (Thursday, January 5th), anyone with a lapsed subscription to Star Trek Online will be able to log into the game and play as a Silver member. This means that any account that has in the past subscribed to the game, even if only for the initial month, can come back and play for free!

Read the full producer's letter on the Star Trek Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

• MunjarakMunjarak Member Posts: 1

[Mod Edit] cant wait for 17th

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Man swtor just came out and you think I'm going to come back? I didn't even want to play when there were no other games out. Sorry munjarek I won't be giving my account away.
  • falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    What really made me mad was that I bought into the hype and bought my preorder through sy fy for 50 bucks. I still don't think I ever got my moneys worth
  • staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    It took them almost a year to add content to this game.
    They don't have plans to continue the feature episodes beyond the next one.
    The kdf start at level 26 or something like that because of lack of content.
  • tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

deja vu

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

STO started promising but looks like it is going to die soon? Then Again it seems the who Star Trek universe is not as it once was.

Live long and go play TOR lmao.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Ehh... wasn't Early Access like 2 years ago? 0.o

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Oh good, a game to play when SWTOR has downtime.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

I pity those who bought lifetime memberships...

Like myself in LOTRO.. lol!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

lol

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

I liked the character customization and the option to customize the companions too, I wished TOR had the same thing.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

If you really want to cry over this game, go try to dig up the original design ideas before it was dumbed down into oblivion.  I remember listening to a podcast and just being blown away by the plans the original developer had.  It would have been a real Star Trek MMO.

That reminds me, how stupid are the corporations overseeing these huge intellectual properties?  Star Trek has even more potential to be an amazing IP for an MMO than even Star Wars, and they totally blew it.  A Star Trek MMO should be a cash cow.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Isturi

Live long and go play TOR lmao.

[Mod Edit]

Anyhow back  on topic I enjoyed the 3 months I subbed to STO and definately will be hopping back in when f2p goes live.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I played STO in the past and the game was okay had good potential but the game play itself had lack fo players to actually make it fun, now the game going F2P actually really ruins the game experience for me even as a free or paying user here is why.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

They add Respec Options, and put limits on how much I can respect my skills this used to be totally free in game as a paying member so why exactly should I pay when they limit me?

Additional Bridge Officer Slots, I assume that these have no value in PVP, otherwise a subscribe, or someone who purchases additional would have an advantage over others in PVP if they actually boosted any stats on the ship.

This is what really makes me pissed off about F2P games, as well all know a game going from Subscribe to Free 2 Play is the game company saying Hey our game failed at a subscription so we are going to give it away free and hope to make a profit, and so far.

1. STO has done this.

2. Lineage 2 has done it

3. Aion did this

But the worst F2P games I will never purchase for are Perfect World International, or Nexon because they charge way too much, add in a confusing point system to each game, add limits to what I can trade or do with stuff I purchase and make all the base game play around a cash shop not something that feels worth paying for when I would rather simply pay for a subscription that gives me all the key features of the game and allows me to play my way, but even with that I will not continue to pay for any game that adds barber shops, and charges me money each time I want to change any detail on my character, I don't care if this be a new game like Tera , or any other new MMO Release the moment they start to add pets, or charge for a character customize, I am hitting my Unsubscribe Button.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by MindTrigger

If you really want to cry over this game, go try to dig up the original design ideas before it was dumbed down into oblivion.  I remember listening to a podcast and just being blown away by the plans the original developer had.  It would have been a real Star Trek MMO.

That reminds me, how stupid are the corporations overseeing these huge intellectual properties?  Star Trek has even more potential to be an amazing IP for an MMO than even Star Wars, and they totally blew it.  A Star Trek MMO should be a cash cow.

Yeah but it wasn't even the original developer, Perpetual Entertainment, it was their original lead designer Glen Dahlgren that had the right Idea. When he left in disgust because the suits at PE wanted him to change the direction of the game(Turn it into 'WoW in Space') they hired someone who would do their bidding. The dumbing down was already in full swing when PE went under and Cryptic took over.

Here is an old interview with Glen Dalgren that shows us a little of the STO he invisioned.

I would have loved to play the STO that Glen proposed but it just wasn't to be. The Suits at PE squashed his vision of STO long before Cryptic ever got ahold of the IP. As for the Cryptic game I may give it another shot now that it's going free to play. I don't see it being much better than the last time I played however. They may have added more content but that still won't hide STO's most glaring flaw... The Cryptic Engine.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

The last major content update took them 3 or 4 mo to fix and even then they didn't fix everything. Not to mention the problems they left unattended from before . They then begged Stahl to come back and fix the foundry , which was majorly f'd . ( not to mention Cryptic was made to pull the release of NWN and redo it. Highly embrassing and indicative of  sort of crap Cryptic produces . Major staff turn over , not surprising given , new bosses ) They've been promising to FIX Klingons since the game released , Has that happened ? No. Everything is always on the to do do list . All they keep doing is finding and dreaming up methods to soak the player base of it's cash . This whole project has been an embrassment , to Cryptic and by Cryptic. Everything was Atari's fault previously , now it'll all be PWI's fault. The sooner this aberration dies , the better for the IP. CBS should be embrassed that it allows this game to represent the IP and should pull the licensing , when able. ( Usually these things are 5 year deals , witth another 5 year option ) 

• NumotNumot Member Posts: 10

Sorry, but Lineage 2 does not belong in your arguement, becuase unlike the other 2 games mentioned it was p2p for 8 years before going f2p so they could get even more out of a great game.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Renoaku

[snip]

sorry to burst your bubble there but this game isn't centered around the cash shop if it were i would not be there right now playing. It's got options in the shop and they aren't necessary to play nor does it require a crazy amount of grinding to get what you need. Their dailies consist of sending subordinates out into the field to do missions and waiting. OOoooh aaaah that's difficult. You get currency, resources and yes rare ones too, and you get new officers for free. It's nothing like it was.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I'll say it again.  Just like I did well before this game ever launched.

There has never been a good Star Trek video game.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by falc0n

What really made me mad was that I bought into the hype and bought my preorder through sy fy for 50 bucks. I still don't think I ever got my moneys worth

and now you did the same with SWTOR and will probably have the same regrets next year

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

You guys are forgetting something major here. This is cryptic.  even free to play is gonna be about as far from "free" as any mmo can go. You'll most likely be able to log in, but they'll force you to buy letter from the alphabet just to name your toon.  I wouldn't piss on these guys to put them out if they were on fire.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

You can't even own a T5 constitution refit.  This is a Star Trek game and I don't give two credits about the timeline. I bought the life time. I bought the Constitution and it's bridge.  No more money now.  I'm boycotting.  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I'll say it again.  Just like I did well before this game ever launched.

There has never been a good Star Trek video game.

Yeah, you are right. Even Bethesda botched up that concept.

And there were never a good MMORPG made in 18 months either.

They should have doubled the development time ( at least) and made it a lot geekier to get the Trekkies to like it instead of focusing on the casual MMO players. While casual initially might give you more players Trekkies are probably the most faithful fanbois there are out there and screwing them over was a huge misstake.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I just don't get it, what exactly am i to do if i log in to STO?.

Are Craptic telling me they have lots of new missions for maxed out Fed / Klingon toons?.

Surely they are not pinning their hopes on this Foundry with Player! made missions and a few (Weeklys, i think they were called) missions.

Any chance someone can tell me please.