Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat in CoS

OtoanOtoan Member UncommonPosts: 17

I've been watching this game for a little bit. I've been paying close attention to the website and it seems very interesting and a very in depth system and seems like a game I can dive into. I do however have a question about the combat. Is it going to the traditional autoattacking combat that most mmo's coming out with have these days? A combat system like WoW, even with all the neat things I keep hearing about the game, would make me do a 180 degree turn and look some where else. If you could give an example of what a normal fight would be like or compare it to another system that'd be great.

Also another question I was wondering is how character development was put into play.  I realize there isn't any grind or stupid quests so does that mean there is no character development besides the choices that you make in your story?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions that have been answered some where else. I did try to look for it.

Comments

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by Otoan

I've been watching this game for a little bit. I've been paying close attention to the website and it seems very interesting and a very in depth system and seems like a game I can dive into. I do however have a question about the combat. Is it going to the traditional autoattacking combat that most mmo's coming out with have these days? A combat system like WoW, even with all the neat things I keep hearing about the game, would make me do a 180 degree turn and look some where else. If you could give an example of what a normal fight would be like or compare it to another system that'd be great.

Hello, Otoan.   CoS does not use an auto attacking system.  We do use an icon based system, but our objective in creating the combat system for Citadel of Sorcery was to add a lot more strategy and options.  But the design of our combat system goes beyond just the options and choices of a player and to the very core of the game.  We didn't want players to figure out a single strategy and then apply that to all combat.  An example of this would be the 'Tank' system where one player taunts all the monsters and lets them beat on them while the other players have their set roles (one guy heals everyone, one guy casts spells, one guy stands behind the monster to backstab, etc.).

This system will not work in CoS, and the game is designed to keep ANY system from working in every combat situation.  Instead, you will need to devise different strategies for each new battle.  One reason for this is that your opponents have variable intelligence and will use their own different strategies against you.   There are no set roles in our combat, and each and every player will need to be well rounded and expect to do many things during a combat situation. 

I don't want to go into all the reasons for this (I'd have to write a novel), but the game rewards players during combat when they do certain things, and every player needs to fight.  There are no arbitrary rules in CoS about what a particular 'class' of player can do or wear, there are in fact, NO classes in CoS.  We simply give you the choice of over 1800 abilities (no, you won't have all, but you do have the choice of which ones you take), and allow you to make the character you want.  That character can wear anything they want to obtain.  Due to this, there are no set roles, everybody needs to pull their weight in combat in ALL areas (though they will likely have different ways of doing that due to the number of abilities they had to choose from).

There is more... but that's as much as I want to get into right now.  Trust me when I tell you that this is not like other MMO game combat, there are many unique elements to our combat, and one major one we have not yet released to the public and won't until Beta.  Due to this I can't really give you an example of a 'normal' fight for comparison quite yet as that would give out the information we are still holding back, sorry.

I hope this helps somewhat though.

Also another question I was wondering is how character development was put into play.  I realize there isn't any grind or stupid quests so does that mean there is no character development besides the choices that you make in your story?

This is a difficult question to answer as it delves into areas and information that we have not yet released.  Therefore I'm not allowed to fully answer this question yet.  I will say this, just because you are not forced to grind your character does not mean that your character does not advance.  It's just that we don't have situations where you have to just sit there and kill monsters over and over as they pop back into existence so that you can slowly inch your way up to your next level. 

First off, monsters don't pop back into existence, ever, so there is no way to stand and keep killing the same thing.  Secondly (and here I'm skirting information I'm not allowed to release yet) just killing monsters will not advance your character... er... properly (and that's all I can say on that for now). 

The thing to remember is that in CoS your character is going through a unique personal story (not the same as any other player).  Part of your advancement is direct improvement of your character, part of your advancement is through the Tier system, and part of your advancement is through the Epic Story line.   But, it's much more personal than that, not only will you advance your character, but you have a past history that will come to light.  You have personal enemies, and allies, it's hard to explain in a simple post, but think of your character as the sequel to another book, a sequel that hasn't been written yet.  When you start playing that character YOU will write each page of that sequel by the choices you make, whom you befriend, and what enemies you make, and you'll be uncovering that original story about your character along the way. 

I know this isn't very specific, but there are two things keeping me from getting more specific, one is that we haven't released all of the information on this yet, and another is that we don't know how your story will go since you will be the one making the choices that develop your character and their story.

• OtoanOtoan Member UncommonPosts: 17

Thank you for the response. It sounds like a very interesting system and I look forward to more updates.

• kmoore00kmoore00 Member Posts: 4

Great info, loving the concept, can't wait to play!

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Jatar

Hello, Otoan.   CoS does not use an auto attacking system.  We do use an icon based system, but our objective in creating the combat system for Citadel of Sorcery was to add a lot more strategy and options.  But the design of our combat system goes beyond just the options and choices of a player and to the very core of the game.  We didn't want players to figure out a single strategy and then apply that to all combat.  An example of this would be the 'Tank' system where one player taunts all the monsters and lets them beat on them while the other players have their set roles (one guy heals everyone, one guy casts spells, one guy stands behind the monster to backstab, etc.).

This system will not work in CoS, and the game is designed to keep ANY system from working in every combat situation.  Instead, you will need to devise different strategies for each new battle.  One reason for this is that your opponents have variable intelligence and will use their own different strategies against you.   There are no set roles in our combat, and each and every player will need to be well rounded and expect to do many things during a combat situation. 

I don't want to go into all the reasons for this (I'd have to write a novel), but the game rewards players during combat when they do certain things, and every player needs to fight.  There are no arbitrary rules in CoS about what a particular 'class' of player can do or wear, there are in fact, NO classes in CoS.  We simply give you the choice of over 1800 abilities (no, you won't have all, but you do have the choice of which ones you take), and allow you to make the character you want.  That character can wear anything they want to obtain.  Due to this, there are no set roles, everybody needs to pull their weight in combat in ALL areas (though they will likely have different ways of doing that due to the number of abilities they had to choose from).

There is more... but that's as much as I want to get into right now.  Trust me when I tell you that this is not like other MMO game combat, there are many unique elements to our combat, and one major one we have not yet released to the public and won't until Beta.  Due to this I can't really give you an example of a 'normal' fight for comparison quite yet as that would give out the information we are still holding back, sorry.

Hmmmm..Could be IT. Dont have a clue honestly. I read in their site what this game is trying to offer.

Sounds like a true sandbox that rewards player skills and smart character build choises. Also claiming to reward combat awereness and smart tactical choises during battle.

They guys over there seem to created a whole planet for the players to live on it and play.. 900.000.000  square kmh or something.

Till E3 i wont say anything else. Their updated videos will tell us whats their up to date work is like. Just hope its a good one.

One thing i remmember thoguh is this. Back at the old days soem of the best gameplay terms games i played came from games i hadnt heard a squat about.Games that came out of nowhere.Withiut hyping and staff.Hope that would be the case.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by tazarconan

Hmmmm..Could be IT. Dont have a clue honestly. I read in their site what this game is trying to offer.

Sounds like a true sandbox that rewards player skills and smart character build choises. Also claiming to reward combat awereness and smart tactical choises during battle.

They guys over there seem to created a whole planet for the players to live on it and play.. 900.000.000  square kmh or something.

Till E3 i wont say anything else. Their updated videos will tell us whats their up to date work is like. Just hope its a good one.

One thing i remmember thoguh is this. Back at the old days soem of the best gameplay terms games i played came from games i hadnt heard a squat about.Games that came out of nowhere.Withiut hyping and staff.Hope that would be the case.

Tazar; If the guys at MMO Magic can deliver on this concept it will be so much fun. The NPCs that only ever have one life is at the core of all of this. The skill choices and development the other.

Sounds great I only expect to see a World fly over at E3 anything beyond that will be a bonus.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

One small question for Jatar concerning combat system. I understand that u guys there are still working on that, and cant give specific details on the combat system but, all im asking is some clues f what to expect from it, comparing to some other rpgs we played in past fought inside them...

I ll name some of them and all i ask if COS has any similarities with any of these in terms of  combat mechanics and how it feels while fighting:

Severance blade of darkness, Mount and blade warband, Oblivion,Sacred 1, Nwn,Age of conan,DDO,Darkfall

Have u borrowed some intresting elements from any of the above games,named and further improved maybe?

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by tazarconan

Originally posted by Jatar

I am really loving all the information I have read about CoS since last summer, including this. I hope CoS developers understand, that since Vanguard, we have heard these promises made with no delvery yet. There are a lot of us still holding out for a game like CoS.

• MiguelAngeloMiguelAngelo Member Posts: 28

Seems as if though these guys knew what they were going to make from the get go. Are they using their own Engine?

What they have in mind for their Universe like they say is "new" stuff to the MMORPG world, they are right in saying that todays MMO's just copy and paste what works in old successful MMO's and repackage it with prettier graphics. Im really excited with what i have read so far, im loving how someone whos working on the game personally comes in here time to time and tells us whats going on and answers our questions. Whats also good is that they have not announced a planned release date. I think they learned not to do that after all that happened with Darkfall.

Speaking of Darkfall this game reminds me of Darkfall a bit. It has an "indy" company making it, promising a lot of new exciting stuff and its taking a while to make. Now i played Darkfall and you can see flashes of brilliance with it, but sadly the game breaks from time to time and ofcourse the PVP is extremely hardcore, i mean login in for the first time in a game trying to admire it but getting ganked endlessly is frustrating to say the least, oh it doesnt get any better either.

Im liking the look of this game, reminds me of the old school MMo's no cartoony looking world and characters, reminds me a bit of DAOC a game that i hold in high regards, even today after playing almost all the games in the game list here DAOC is one of the best ive ever played. I cant wait for more info on this and i wish nothing but the best for this company, they are really creating something new for us, for all our sakes i hope it comes out exactly as they imagine it because from what ive read its something i really want to experience and seeing the down the line what new MMO's are coming out, they all seem to be the same o same o and thats something ive grown tired of. Cheers!

PS......

Originally posted by MiguelAngelo

Seems as if though these guys knew what they were going to make from the get go. Are they using their own Engine?

Yes

What they have in mind for their Universe like they say is "new" stuff to the MMORPG world, they are right in saying that todays MMO's just copy and paste what works in old successful MMO's and repackage it with prettier graphics. Im really excited with what i have read so far, im loving how someone whos working on the game personally comes in here time to time and tells us whats going on and answers our questions. Whats also good is that they have not announced a planned release date. I think they learned not to do that after all that happened with Darkfall.

Speaking of Darkfall this game reminds me of Darkfall a bit. It has an "indy" company making it (with lots of backing may not be that indie), promising a lot of new exciting stuff and its taking a while to make. Now i played Darkfall and you can see flashes of brilliance with it, but sadly the game breaks from time to time and ofcourse the PVP is extremely hardcore (Citadel Of Sorcery has no PvP and is Story based with an extensive world, the only PvP is in the Arena in the Citadel) , i mean login in for the first time in a game trying to admire it but getting ganked endlessly is frustrating to say the least, oh it doesnt get any better either.

Im liking the look of this game, reminds me of the old school MMo's no cartoony looking world and characters, reminds me a bit of DAOC a game that i hold in high regards, even today after playing almost all the games in the game list here DAOC is one of the best ive ever played. I cant wait for more info on this and i wish nothing but the best for this company, they are really creating something new for us, for all our sakes i hope it comes out exactly as they imagine it because from what ive read its something i really want to experience and seeing the down the line what new MMO's are coming out, they all seem to be the same o same o and thats something ive grown tired of. Cheers!

I suggest that you hang out on their site............... But remember the design is done ...

A few comments to add a little context.

A World the size of a real planet; Complex NPC AI that should compete with the best of PvP, a game where killing an NPC may not be wise at all. Real world Biomes.

If you want a real feel for the World and Storyline I suggest you read a set of four books by the Lead Designer; Philip Blood the 'CATHEXIS' Series.

http://www.philipblood.com

http://philipblood.blogspot.com/

It may just be myth but the above is a taste of the type of Story driven quests that will be in the game; And if you look at the Magic and Creatures involved then you may even see Similarities between Vorg and Morphael.

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Please Release this game NOWWWW  :o) I beg of you.I will love you forever from what i've been reading about CoS.

Originally posted by bosmer24

Please Release this game NOWWWW  :o) I beg of you.I will love you forever from what i've been reading about CoS.

I think we all want a real game to play.

Originally posted by MiguelAngelo

Speaking of Darkfall this game reminds me of Darkfall a bit. It has an "indy" company making it, promising a lot of new exciting stuff and its taking a while to make. Now i played Darkfall and you can see flashes of brilliance with it, but sadly the game breaks from time to time and ofcourse the PVP is extremely hardcore, i mean login in for the first time in a game trying to admire it but getting ganked endlessly is frustrating to say the least, oh it doesnt get any better either.

Thanks for the kind words, it helps to hear that players are looking forward to what we are making.  I still come here and read posts, and will respond occasonally, though we are doing more of that through the official Forums at the CoS website these days.  We just released some new screenshots for the Holidays as well if you go there.

As for the game being like Darkfall, that's true only in the sense of breaking the game mold of current MMOs, but we couldn't be more different  in other ways.  Darfall is hardcore PVP, while CoS is a story driven world, where the emphisis is on each player having a different experience in a world that keeps changing every day.  We're looking to make the world a place of vast exploration and discovery, where you never know what you will see or get involved in that day.  

As for bugs, well, those come along with any game, but we will try our best to give you a very solid game that works at launch, rather than a buggy rushed game.  We have taken the time to design it right, and will also take the time to test it before release.  This means a lot of waiting on the part of players, but in the end we think it will make for a more enjoyable experience once it is available to play.