Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bonus Series? Or Troll Series? You Decide!

Comments

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by MikeB
    Just don't tell me you were happily surprised when you ran into them and enjoyed the whole thing. I've got the banhammer at the ready for trolls like you! :)
    well, ban me if you like, but i really love the bonus missions! theres never enough content, never enough quests to do, so this is a nice plus after finishing the main story on a planet. im already far ahead of the supposed level range on the planet im on right now because i completed everything on every planet before - but who cares? im enjoying the storytelling, the discovery of new places i would have missed without those bonus missions and the pvp encounters on the way.
    calling those missions 'troll series' really makes me think you are the troll rather than the quest giver npc. nobody forced you to click it anyways :P .. are you maybe obsessively searching for anything to complain about? sure looks like it..
  • lamberslambers Member Posts: 18

Really?  You're bitching about additional content?  I thought I was reading a whiney post in the forums.  Bring on the content, and stop crying about getting too many quests, no one is forcing you to complete them.

• meccariellomeccariello Member Posts: 50

*shakes head*. ya know... i saw the game advertised. i saw the movies and thought they were ok...  i bought the game and i liked it. 

the game is fine... it's the players that are broken and annoying. 

www.insomniacsbar.com (my little bar that i own in florida)

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126

In many games levelling another character becomes boring as you have to follow pretty much the same path with exactly the same quests. It's something that's put me off many games long term. Personally, having the option to vary my levelling to a degree is very welcome.

I must admit the number of Heroics that could only be accessed later on Balmorra did seem a bit short sighted as it is too restrictive in terms of available personnel.

• WrockWrock Member UncommonPosts: 12

It's not specifically the *Bonus Quests* that have me feeling this way, it's the linear nature of the planet hop. After your grand choice of 1 of 2 starting planets, everyone slogs through the same order of progression. I want to see content appropriate to all levels on all planets, so my Agent can follow a notably different path than my BH or Juggernaut... but no, even though I get different content for the class quests, I have the same stuff in the same order for every damn alt. And I like playing numerous alts... or at least I did in other games... No matter how different they are from one another in SWTOR, they all start to feel the same pretty quick, since they all do exactly the same stuff. Same grind on the same planets punctuated by the same five space missions every day...

And as for Balmorra, I actually wanted to move on before I'd finished the important stuff. It's a neat place for the first couple hours, but this is Star Wars, I want to do some planet hopping, not get bogged down in some eternal civil war that drags on like trying to completely clear the map of Morrowind.

If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

I didnt mind the Balmorra bonus series. Being a bit overleveled when you reach the next planet makes it a bit easier.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I enjoy the Bonus series quest content as the majority have a good arc to them without being broken up by a thousand other mundane quests.

Think of Czerka quests on tatooine,  if that was 1 single arc in a nice line what a 2hour story that would be instead theres dozens of filler quests in between it that totally ruin that single story arc,  the bonus series arent spoiled by such things so I enjoy them.

Ballmora I reallly enjoyed I liked the quest giver in fact shes one of my favourite NPC's to date,  I enjoyed the story and delivering a final crushing blow to that planet and I thought the Colocids where awesome especially as a I had a bugged ambush by them that just resulted in 5 after 5 after 5 spawning at me this must have went on for near 15 mins with me and mako barley surviving and whilst a bug it was the most epic moment to date in game for me.

• vanitycorpsevanitycorpse Member UncommonPosts: 22

well the one on balmorra was worth it in my opinion as i got some really sweet orange gear from it ^^ and the heroics you get you dont have to finish to finish the bonus series but they do offer some sweet loot though hehe. 

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

Skimmed the article with an eyebrow raised at the idea of someone complaining about extra content in a MMO.  Then looked at who wrote it and wasn't surprised.

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

This is said with due respect to the author of the column: this really feels like a "Have to say something bad about SWTOR" article to me. Especially considering so many dancing around with their death masks on proclaiming the game does not have enough content to keep people interested.

Just My 2 Lunars

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by logan400k

This is said with due respect to the author of the column: this really feels like a "Have to say something bad about SWTOR" article to me. Especially considering so many dancing around with their death masks on proclaiming the game does not have enough content to keep people interested.

Frankly game DOES NOT have enough content. 

Bioware was better off:

1) making it within the timespan of KOTOR.

2) making it singleplayer.

3) making it closer to KOTOR story-style and play style and art style.

The "mmo" just does not stick to this title. If you take out voiced quests its bassically TORCRAFT, the wow in space. 

KOTOR should have never become mmo and eveyrone should have gotten a perfect third part of the game closing the series for good instead of this(as if retconing KOTOR II in tor is not infuriating enough)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Yuui

(as if retconing KOTOR II in tor is not infuriating enough)

Oh fuck no, they didn't....?

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by AdamTM

(as if retconing KOTOR II in tor is not infuriating enough)

Oh fuck no, they didn't....?

Not sure if sarcasm, but yes. TOR retcons a lot of stuff, like Rakatan language shown in KOTOR I  and Revan Novel + current torcraft plot retcons a lot of Exile's story and significance.

Should I also speak about the now already famous Emperor Of Retcons that pretty much destroyed Revan's character of the KOTOR games?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    An article whining about optional content on a gaming site? Since when have the WoW fanbrats been given a column on MMORPG? Is there not a single editor working on this site? Hands down one of the dumbest columns ever on this site.
  • JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-The worst part for me is not that the quests are presented.

Once i took the Balmorra Bonus quest line and decided i was done (wasn't going to complete it) my quest tracker will not let me abandon the quest.

Even after resetting.

Ultimate Troll quest: the game refuses to let you abandon it.

Jergis

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

The Balmorra and Tatooine bonus series were fun, just be ready to accept that you're not going to be leaving those planets as soon as you thought. Some of the rewards are moddable items which you would otherwise have to get from grinding flashpoints or a rare loot drop.

Nar Shadaa and Alderaan are at higher levels than you would typically be when you leave the planet so I recommend leaving, then if you feel you need the xp/loot/tokens later on, return.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

hey Michael ^^

nice to read the emotional sponge between all your "I" lines :)

maybe you need to adjust some of your "how i normally play a MMORPG" principles to get into all this, especially to not do something, what is at least a decision ^^

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

The biggest problem with the bonus quests is they are so long. that you literally outlevel the next planet you go to. I did the early ones,  Balmorra, I think Nar Shadda, Alderaan (Some of these may be wrong).

What did I get for it? I was levels ahead of the planerts after it. Was a planet 36-39? I was 41. It's only after I stopped doing them that I'm finally back on par with the level I should be for the planet.  They severely need to reduce the amount of XP. Even finishing all content on Droumund Kaas I was still half way through the level  for Balmorra.  And Kaas doesn't even have a bonus series.

• SoldarithSoldarith Member Posts: 184

I think the bonus series of quests are fine. The problem, I believe, is that Balmorra just plain sucks to get around. Period. The planet layout, at least for the Empire, is absolutely horrid to get anywhere. So every time you get a quest to go to such-and-such hub and you see 5 more quest icons, it forces you to let out a sigh. No other planet has done this to me.

All of the other planets' bonus quest lines I've come across, I've rather enjoyed. I treat the bonus quest as a midway point once I've received it. Would it suck to those who think that they've completed the entire planet's content? Sure. But a simply look at the planet's map would indicate to them that there are large areas they have yet to discover; implying there is content undiscovered as well.

• SoldarithSoldarith Member Posts: 184

I do, however, agree with the poster above me: With the added bonus series and the quest hubs along with it, you find yourself out-leveling the next planet in-line in your story.

My spouse and I have been 2-4 levels above the level range of each planet we've visited ever since leaving Drumand Kaas.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Alalala

An article whining about optional content on a gaming site? Since when have the WoW fanbrats been given a column on MMORPG? Is there not a single editor working on this site? Hands down one of the dumbest columns ever on this site.

I guess you anger management teacher failed ;)

Notice that he writes it with a "smile in the eye" and he is somewhat humorous about it,

take it for what it is, and there is indeed a few points of truth in the article, but i took it with a smile, especially the "troll ambush" on balmorra, i laughed because i felt the same way :)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by logan400k

Frankly game DOES NOT have enough content. 

Bioware was better off:

1) making it within the timespan of KOTOR.

2) making it singleplayer.

3) making it closer to KOTOR story-style and play style and art style.

The "mmo" just does not stick to this title. If you take out voiced quests its bassically TORCRAFT, the wow in space. 

KOTOR should have never become mmo and eveyrone should have gotten a perfect third part of the game closing the series for good instead of this(as if retconing KOTOR II in tor is not infuriating enough)

but this way they will make a lot more money, also completely beats piracy because its online game, and people pay every month to play it. If I were them I would do the same.

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

I think the main problem is not that there is additional content, but the way you get it. I felt the same way on Taris; the planet had some very nice quests, including some heroic ones with almost as much scripted story as some flashpoints. Besides, I liked a lot the tie-ins with KOTOR (like the fate of those outcasts that went to search for the Promised Land).

However, when I was getting back to my ship and suddenly saw that person at the spaceport, and then realised that I had quite a few more quest hubs to cover, I was irritated. Nothing against Taris, but I did grow weary of the plant at some point, and even though I didn't want to miss on the story, I felt somewhat cheated.

Of course, I realise that you don't have to do these quests to be on par with content, but I wish the presentation was somewhat different. I don't mind the additional content at all, but I think you can be led to this content in a better way.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Lol, even the writers on mmorpg are SWTOR haters, I mean... dude! It's called bonus for a reason, you don't NEED to do it, okay.

I haven't touched heroic 2 / 4 mans, FP's or any bonus series all the way up to 47.

My main source of XP is main story, coupled with a few sidequests, and PvP.

If you feel that much pressure from an NPC asking you to do something, then I feel bad for you mate, real life must be hard.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

What's even worse about these shitty quests is that you can't even abandon them. They don't even know how to properly make all the functions in the fucking questlog work.