Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Retail Sales Plummet in the UK

1235

Comments

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Astralglide

    Originally posted by someforumguy

    Well I guess that all the ppl that were eagerly waiting for the release of SWTOR, now have their copy. Don't find it odd that sales drop after release.

    I think this game has somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 million pre-orders and MMOs still target a certain market. Why wouldn't new subs die off quickly after release? Everybody who was excited about it has bought it. Now they can expect some attrition as people get tired of it or don't like the game, etc. As long as they get more new subs than cancels, it's not "Dying" or even "winding down"


     

    Why are you quoting me lol? You are basically saying the same as me about the drop in sales.

    I also wasnt saying that SWTOR was dying or something or being in favour or against SWTOR.

  • BademBadem CheshirePosts: 830Member

    Originally posted by shakermaker0

    I think this doesn't particularly reflect on the state of Old Republic's success in the UK. Retailers such as GAME and GameStation have been trimming their PC sections for years, to the point where its mostly a shelving space left for Football Manager and The Sims 3: Let's Get New Hats Pack. Boxes just don't seem to shift like they used to, I suppose that's where Steam picks up the slack.


     

    This is so very true.

     

    Gamestores in the UK are dedicated more towards Console Games. If it want PC games I have to get Digital versions (Steam or Disti) or Play.com for a boxed version.

    Only thing that will tell if the game is a success is that critical 'First Update' followed by 'First Billing Cycle'

     

    and lets face it we are never going to know the results of that first billing cycle

  • IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

    Most Pc will buy/pre order a DVD copy online at places like Amazon, as its often a lot cheaper to buy the DVD there than in the shops, even more so once the game is a couple months old, it's always cheap on Amazon.  Pc gamers don't really walk in shop to buy anymore, either digital or a pre order/buy on line for cheaper.

  • jerlot65jerlot65 Lake Mary, FLPosts: 788Member

    Hey MMORPG.com can we get some real stories up in here.  I iknow most of your fans ae sandbox fanboys, but can we stop with the crappy stories....

    image
  • fadisfadis funkg, GAPosts: 469Member

    I don't think this is too surprising... the vast majority of people probably pre-ordered it, as well.  Typical for MMOs, now.

     

     

  • tom_goretom_gore TamperePosts: 1,796Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by jerlot65

    Hey MMORPG.com can we get some real stories up in here.  I iknow most of your fans ae sandbox fanboys, but can we stop with the crappy stories....

    So having 60% of the stories here being related to SWTOR is not enough?

     

  • GorillaGorilla Posts: 2,202Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by darwa

    Originally posted by gt4980b

    I always hear that UK games are cheaper if you buy them in stores vs digital.  So maybe digital isn't as big there.  They do have bandwidth caps so digital isn't as viable an option as in the US

    Wrong on both accounts mate. In the majority, that is.

    Seem to be kinda similar though I find boxed copies a wee bit cheaper usually. (I'm talking about stuff that is not deep discounted yet). £24.99 seems typical as oposed to £29.99. Hardly a sientific study really but that's how it seems to me. 

  • GorillaGorilla Posts: 2,202Member Uncommon

    ....oh and what's MMORPG.com ruynning something that's not all puppy dogs, ponies and rainbows? Dsen't seem like their style at all.

  • joartsiljoartsil LondonPosts: 21Member

    Retail Sales Plummet?

    Emotive headline. So what are you really saying Suz?

  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member

    I bought the box version of SWtor, as I wont buy digital as I prefer to have a physical copy, also I cant justify paying the same price for a digital copy that costs a lot less than a boxed version to produce.  Also the other downside is the length of time in the UK to dowload a game of that size takes far to long.  The UK is so far behind where broadband is, compared to places like the USA.

     

    I'm on Unlimited broadband I pay £40 a month  to get  UP TO 8meg I actually only get 2meg on average the best being around 2.5 meg, but it isnt unlimited as we are hit with a fair usage policy, once I hit a certain download limit they strangle my broadband from 500k - 1meg.  The price does include phone line rental which is compulsary and I also get unlimited weekend phone calls to the UK.  Other phone charges and Tax is added to the base price.

    I did phone another company that offers UP TO 20 meg, but as the local exchange is approx 2 km away I would still only recieve UP TO 2 meg bandwidth.  My present IP are ugrading the system so that customers can recieve UP TO 50meg, but I fear rigor mortis would of set in by the time we get that.

  • faxnadufaxnadu HelsinkiPosts: 940Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Aquazen

    Not too suprising, I tend to get everything digital on the pc now-a-days.

    my toughts excatly and aswell those who really want (any new game) usually pre orders it digitally todays world.

    retail box yes some say its nice to have your finger around box to fiddle around with it but meh its past and

    takes useless space unless you collect gameboxes to your library self. most often get left behind on someones attic to get dust when you move around =)

  • IllyssiaIllyssia LondonPosts: 1,524Member

    This story is built on the false premise of calculating box sales for a game nowadays. I'm not saying the chart is complete hogwash, just misleading. Firstly, we don't have official numbers of SWTOR sales from EA yet, but we do know that world-wide there are over 1 million registered users. Secondly, and MMORPG don't seem to know this, but EA actually clearly stated that game sales would be capped so they would avoid server stability and population issue around launch. Thirdly, a lot of the box sales are from collectors edition boxes...those again were limited and sold out through retail. Fourthly, most gamers simply go for online purchase now with PC games. All in all... we have to wait for EA to announce some numbers and MMORPGs are long term but we are talking a significant game population for the game.

  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon

    I do not care, Swtor is only impressive game, bug free, lag free, ... after Wow and Rift. And is incredibly addictive and fun.

  • EnoshEnosh SulinciPosts: 140Member

    WoW cataclysm was nb 1# in the first week UK sales chart

    it droped to 38 in the second week and doesn't even show up after that

    http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/archive/index_test.jsp&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2010&year=2010&week=50

    I don't think anyone was saying cataclysm was a failure and wow is going to die based on the week 2 sales chart of a PC game in a console centric country...

  • BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 anchorage, AKPosts: 410Member

    Originally posted by minocin

    Who buys PC games retail now? That's so 1990's...

     

     

     

     I do, it saves time downloading, maybe its just me but I like to play a game after I buy it.   Expansions Ill download and some games that are hard to find.   

    The chart isnt showing that SWTOR is a failure, it is just showing how dead the genra of MMO's is becoming.   Like another poster stated its all console games.   Its definatly the dark ages for PC gaming, but I do see light at the end of the rainbow.   As game engines become more powerful and costs keep on dropping, more people will get into the buisness.  

  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member

    Originally posted by daltanious

    I do not care, Swtor is only impressive game, bug free, lag free, ... after Wow and Rift. And is incredibly addictive and fun.

    As much as I have been enjoying the game, I wouldnt go so far as saying its bug free, as to lag, thats down to each induviduals internet set up, I dont suffer any lag whatsoever and my IP isnt exactly the best supplier of bandwidth.

  • PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon

    Not getting enough traffic?

  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Cleveland, OHPosts: 135Member

    Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

    Originally posted by minocin

    Who buys PC games retail now? That's so 1990's...

     

     

     

     I do, it saves time downloading, maybe its just me but I like to play a game after I buy it.   Expansions Ill download and some games that are hard to find.   

    The chart isnt showing that SWTOR is a failure, it is just showing how dead the genra of MMO's is becoming.   Like another poster stated its all console games.   Its definatly the dark ages for PC gaming, but I do see light at the end of the rainbow.   As game engines become more powerful and costs keep on dropping, more people will get into the buisness.  


     

     

    Except that you know...you gotta download things anyway even if you buy the disc.

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,975Member Uncommon

    Most people who wanted the game pre ordered it, no real mystery here.

    But I am a bit surprised that it just got up to number 10 on release week, that is not particularly good considering all the commercials they have been running for months.

  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

    When you have only captured part of the unit sales...how can you say you know anything ? This is a story that should never have been written unless you are trying to boost readership.

  • PridePride HelsinkiPosts: 9Member

    I cancelled my subscription today.

     

    Currently the game is CUSTOMER PAID BETA. I suggest you wait few months and try again - it´s not going to disappear anywhere but the experience is going to much better after they polish what they should have polished in the beta.

     

    L50 Marauder with artifact gear. Seen every flashpoint and cleared Eternity Vault.

    -Rhea @ RP-PvP English server (Lord...), Europe

  • herennowherennow CambridgePosts: 70Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

    Originally posted by rdrpappy

    Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

    OK before everyone gets excited about this remember the charts SBFord is talking about is are cross platform charts and include budget games and ones in sales . I brought a few of these single player games in the sales myself ( loving dead island by the way )

    This is the PC game chart from the same website for the 31 st December for full priced games

    http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022 

    As you can plainly see StarWars ToR is in second place .

    Perhaps SBFord should have posted this link as well and researched it a bit better ? It makes a good attention grabbing headline but if wouldn't have seemed half as effective if it have said .

    Retails Sales Plummet in the UK StarWars ToR falls to number 2 in the PC game chart .

    Those are the facts . The articles just a tad sensationalist ..

     

    That's the norm around here, the game  is clearly ontrack to be the biggest online rpg anywhere and people will try and convince you it's going to be f2p in 2 months.

    The miss-information machine rivals North Korea, all because we are talking about millions of subs at stake, you have to go look for yourself to see the 123 North American servers are going to need to be increased yet again due to server population.

    It is misleading .


     

    I am surprised to find MMORPG posting articles as trollish as many of the comments on the forums. I also love the posts about digital copies being for US only which is accurate but misleading as it diverts people away from considering  the online sales. As mentioned, people don't really go to stores for pc games as they're not really stocked anymore. So it's the end of the world as the game is in second place...

     

    i thought the only real issue for the gamer is whether the game is fun for them. if so subscribe and if not don't, or is this too undramatic?

  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by herennow



    Originally posted by OkhamsRazor






    Originally posted by rdrpappy






    Originally posted by OkhamsRazor



    OK before everyone gets excited about this remember the charts SBFord is talking about is are cross platform charts and include budget games and ones in sales . I brought a few of these single player games in the sales myself ( loving dead island by the way )

    This is the PC game chart from the same website for the 31 st December for full priced games

    http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022 

    As you can plainly see StarWars ToR is in second place .

    Perhaps SBFord should have posted this link as well and researched it a bit better ? It makes a good attention grabbing headline but if wouldn't have seemed half as effective if it have said .

    Retails Sales Plummet in the UK StarWars ToR falls to number 2 in the PC game chart .

    Those are the facts . The articles just a tad sensationalist ..

     

    That's the norm around here, the game  is clearly ontrack to be the biggest online rpg anywhere and people will try and convince you it's going to be f2p in 2 months.

    The miss-information machine rivals North Korea, all because we are talking about millions of subs at stake, you have to go look for yourself to see the 123 North American servers are going to need to be increased yet again due to server population.

    It is misleading .






     

    I am surprised to find MMORPG posting articles as trollish as many of the comments on the forums. I also love the posts about digital copies being for US only which is accurate but misleading as it diverts people away from considering  the online sales. As mentioned, people don't really go to stores for pc games as they're not really stocked anymore. So it's the end of the world as the game is in second place...

     

    i thought the only real issue for the gamer is whether the game is fun for them. if so subscribe and if not don't, or is this too undramatic?

    Far too calm for this forum - please ingest 2 gallons of dayglo fizzy drink to get your emo level up.

  • HazukiStyleHazukiStyle CambsPosts: 49Member

    Originally posted by herennow

    I am surprised to find MMORPG posting articles as trollish as many of the comments on the forums.

    Really?!  MMORPG.com practically exists for the sole purpose of slating games and providing a hovel for all the internet trolls to meet.  Seriously, if people are looking to absolutely TEAR a game to bits then there is no better place.

     

    On another note... Wait PC shops still exist?  What is a 'boxed' game? Haven't bought one of those in years.

  • Sup3rnovaSup3rnova SunderlandPosts: 69Member

    I'd buy digitally everytime if the price was either the same or less, I dont feel like paying almost double for a digital download (I.E Battlefield 3 is £25 instore £40 Digital which is a complete piss take)

    Also it's obvious after the initial burst of sales the game isnt going to continually be a top seller its very debateable how good/bad the game is right now. Additionally the subscription fee is a massive turn off for anyone considering mmo's for the first time.

Sign In or Register to comment.