Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMO Predictions for 2012

Comments

• kroz318kroz318 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Same shit different titles is my prediction.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Gudrunix

My predictions, for what they're worth:

• Diablo 3 hits later than anticipated (easy prediction; Blizzard is always late in releasing major titles), probably some time in the summer

• Mists of Pandaria hits on schedule, but only after having major features cut at the last minute (anyone anticipating it hitting earlier than scheduled is dreaming; has Blizzard *ever* released a title early in its entire history?)

• Blizzard keeps Titan in the freezer after its management decides not to do anything that would interfere with the WoW cash cow in any way

• Secret World severely disappoints

• Guild Wars 2 releases in the fall, to favorable reviews, but does not quite meet expectations

• Star Wars: The Old Republic cranks out content to keep subscriptions up and manages to stay alive

• Rift continues to dwindle toward Vanguard-esque irrelevance, with a small but highly dedicated player base that is not quite enough to fund new development

• Mobile MMOs continue to disappoint

• MOBAs continue to strengthen, with League of Legends dominating the market, Heroes of Newerth following in a distant second place, and Dota 2 prompting everyone to ask:  why, exactly, did Valve decide to invest so much into developing a game that is a straightforward but mediocre copy of a freely downloadable custom map?

Looks like darn good foresight.  Have to wait on the Secret World, but past poor launches from that developer certainly give one pause for thought.  

Have to wait and see on SWTOR if EA is willing to spend to keep additional content funded.  EA has a bad habit of cutting funding after launch.

The problem with Mobile MMO's the hardware is still a couple generations too early for them, but it not be long before we see hardware that will run them.

I do not disagree about MOBA's, but can someone explain to me the attraction of MOBA's?  I find them highly repetitive and not that fun, besides the clientelle is extremely rude for the most part, yet popular they are.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

The Secret World is a title I am skeptical yet hopeful about. I am not too enthused about their pricing model, but the gameplay and pseudo-historical faction conflict are interesting, as well as the skill system. 

I have no hopes for Titan, after the consistent streamlining of World of Warcraft, I doubt I'd be interested anyhow. They have to prove to me they can make a game with more subtance and strategy. 

Guild Wars 2 - What can I say? Release the bloody thing already and quit teasing us. 

MOBAs, Facebook and Indie developers are all areas I could honestly care less about. It equates to more unpolished kiddie games with cheeky art and little substance or story.

Here are my predictions:

- Mists of Pandaria releases and World of Warcraft continues to lose American and European subscribers.

- Guild Wars 2 releases to much fanfare but only offers passing pleasure.

- Vanguard closes and with it the promise of a multi-faceted Western MMO

- The Secret World flops

- SWTOR will stagnate

- More F2P games will release with poor implementations

I am in rare and negative form this evening, but I really feel it's necessary. I apologize in advance.

• surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33

blizzard is releasing mists of pandria along with D3 so they can shift their cash cow of a name to a title with a lil more wiggle room... wow is gettign old they can see it... most people can see it as well just are not smart enoguh to put two and two together... now as far as GW2 they are in no rush because people want it out sooner... they have waited this long and made sure things feel right if they see even the smallest hint of glitches they will pull the game back down and show it who's the dad in the relationship... as far as facebook games they will all be the same just a cash for play game. mobile games will get a lil better but people will be looking to make games on console/pc split more and more... with new systems coming out the blend between the two will be closer and closer... titan wont be released this year with D3 being out... blizzard wouldnt step on its own toes... enough people will play D3... Swtor will kill itself and have its core fanbase like rift/eq/ff/etc. etc. secret world will have a big start... it will be the refreshing game for the year but will lose its touch just like resident evil/ silent hill did... they were new but they lose that polish... 

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

on 3)

Yes please.... please a third faction and for the developers to please stop raving about WoW and actually do some of their own thinking. Not holding my breath though, Im really expecting another WoW clone.... which is sad.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I predict 2012 will be a better year than 2011.
    By how much? Sec, calling miss Cleo.
  • Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

• Diablo 3 hits later than anticipated (easy prediction; Blizzard is always late in releasing major titles), probably some time in the summer

• Mists of Pandaria hits on schedule, but only after having major features cut at the last minute (anyone anticipating it hitting earlier than scheduled is dreaming; has Blizzard *ever* released a title early in its entire history?)

• Blizzard keeps Titan in the freezer after its management decides not to do anything that would interfere with the WoW cash cow in any way

• Guild Wars 2 releases in the fall, to favorable reviews, but does not quite meet expectations

• Star Wars: The Old Republic cranks out content to keep subscriptions up and manages to stay alive

• Rift continues to dwindle toward Vanguard-esque irrelevance, with a small but highly dedicated player base that is not quite enough to fund new development

• MOBAs continue to strengthen, with League of Legends dominating the market, Heroes of Newerth following in a distant second place, and Dota 2 prompting everyone to ask:  why, exactly, did Valve decide to invest so much into developing a game that is a straightforward but mediocre copy of a freely downloadable custom map?

diablo 3 most likely will be late but who care its diablo.

next wow expansion yeah, I mean over the years they release an expansion and cut back stuff only to add it in later in order to justify the need for people to keep paying them for content, that and blizzard is rather anal about the products they put out, most of the time.

I doubt blizzard would do that as blizzard has been rather active in trying to gain more money by branching out more. Between aquiring activision and rather quick releases of 2 other all time favorite franchises they are looking to take the world of pc gaming.

Secret world see I dont know about this. Yes funcom drops the ball left and right on previous games, however they tend to make up for it later to some degree. And with the restructuring and new management I have high hopes they will make ammends for what has happened in the past. And if you dont think the past is on the minds over there then you would be mistaken.

Gw2 yeah pretty spot on...Will not live up to all the hype as all the hype is fan based and not from the developers. So in truth the fan boys will destroy their own game before it is ever released.

Star wars will have to keep cranking out content as Lucas generally will not let anything ruin the brand he has created and has some clauses in his contract with ea/bioware to ensure it. So yeah more content will come...

I thought rift was already there and most likely will see a f2p change over to survive.

mobile mmo's See I tend to not agree with this. The apu chip set design was actually designed to be used not only for pc, laptop, netbook, tablet, and cell phones. This combined with expanded memory modules as well as possible dongle install devices could actually create a platform where mobile mmo's could grow and thrive, however not in 2012....But it can be done.

MOBA's....I grew bored with these a bit ago, however I was really impressed with LOCO's way of doing it rather then top down to be done more classic mmo style and has a greater action appeal to it...To be honest this wouldbe one of the first major genres to be ported to mobiles in the future.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I will laugh until my sides turn red if blizzards new MMO is a sandbox and is a huge hit.  First MMOs are for 'hardcore gamers only' and not casual gamers.  Blizzard proves them wrong.  Now its 'nobody wants to make a sandbox because casual gamers don't like it'...  Prove them wrong Blizzard!!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by WhySoShort

• MOBAs continue to strengthen, with League of Legends dominating the market, Heroes of Newerth following in a distant second place, and Dota 2 prompting everyone to ask:  why, exactly, did Valve decide to invest so much into developing a game that is a straightforward but mediocre copy of a freely downloadable custom maps

A little bleak, but very likely, I shouldn't wonder.

+1.  Quality predictions.  

I think that SWTOR will running strong as free to play by the end of 2012 or early 2013.  That is the only change to these predictions I would make.

I think that the OP predictions are also good.  I think Titan will be announced 2013 but its possible they'll announce it late 2012.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

WoW is not going anywhere... It will be around 2 decades from now, like EQ is.  Hell EQ will be around 2 decades from now.  :-)  Might be free to play though, sometime before TItan is released!

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I think that SWTOR will running strong as free to play by the end of 2012 or early 2013.  That is the only change to these predictions I would make.

LOL.  Simply hilarious.

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

LOL.  Simply hilarious.

This game has low long term playability due to its focus on story based content which will push them towards expanding their user base via strategies like F2P.  What is hilarious?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by MikeB

I really do hope that THQ and co. rethink the two faction deal for 40K. Three or more factions are really necessary for a proper Warhammer experience, IMO.

^^THIS^^

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

LOL.  Simply hilarious.

This game has low long term playability due to its focus on story based content which will push them towards expanding their user base via strategies like F2P.  What is hilarious?

Regardless of whether it's probable of TOR going F2P, freemium, or whatever- EA/Bioware could make a killing with adventure packs as DLC in a cash shop. With the game's strong focus on story of course players would want to get more voiced story arcs for their toons.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

And Star Wars: The OId Republic will own the year that is 2012 and will continue to be the one MMO to rule them all, The Chosen One. Plus there will be a new term called the TOR Killer, but one will not come for a long time. Yet there maybe one in the distant future. Maybe another Star Wars MMO or maybe the fabled Mass Effect MMO. Only time will tell. All this was foretold by the wise MMO Sages of old. The prophecy read that one day  The Chosen One would  come and will rule them all. And The Chosen One has come and The Chosen One was born on December 20th, 2011. Unto a  virgin MMORPG developer named Bioware, who was without the sins of the Harlot MMORPG developer named Sony Online Entertainment. So it was written and so it has come to pass. Rejoice O' MMO Gamer, Rejoice. For we are now in a Golden Age of Online Interactive Entertainment. Oh Plus the prophecy as fortold that The Beast know as World of Warcraft will be cast in to the abyss in 2012, along with its evil creator named Blizzard aka Diablo himself. Freeing the poor WOW slaves from their bondage forever. Amen.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by WhySoShort

• MOBAs continue to strengthen, with League of Legends dominating the market, Heroes of Newerth following in a distant second place, and Dota 2 prompting everyone to ask:  why, exactly, did Valve decide to invest so much into developing a game that is a straightforward but mediocre copy of a freely downloadable custom maps

A little bleak, but very likely, I shouldn't wonder.

+1.  Quality predictions.  

I think that the OP predictions are also good.  I think Titan will be announced 2013 but its possible they'll announce it late 2012.

You are dreaming if you think SWTOR will go F2P

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by purewitz

And Star Wars: The OId Republic will own the year that is 2012 and will continue to be the one MMO to rule them all, The Chosen One. Plus there will be a new term called the TOR Killer, but one will not come for a long time. Yet there maybe one in the distant future. Maybe another Star Wars MMO or maybe the fabled Mass Effect MMO. Only time will tell. All this was foretold by the wise MMO Sages of old. The prophecy read that one day  The Chosen One would  come and will rule them all. And The Chosen One has come and The Chosen One was born on December 20th, 2011. Unto a  virgin MMORPG developer named Bioware, who was without the sins of the Harlot MMORPG developer named Sony Online Entertainment. So it was written and so it has come to pass. Rejoice O' MMO Gamer, Rejoice. For we are now in a Golden Age of Online Interactive Entertainment. Oh Plus the prophecy as fortold that The Beast know as World of Warcraft will be cast in to the abyss in 2012, along with its evil creator named Blizzard aka Diablo himself. Freeing the poor WOW slaves from their bondage forever. Amen.

... so EA is Joseph in that particular scenario?

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Forgot to add that SWTOR will be shut down.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

I will laugh until my sides turn red if blizzards new MMO is a sandbox and is a huge hit.  First MMOs are for 'hardcore gamers only' and not casual gamers.  Blizzard proves them wrong.  Now its 'nobody wants to make a sandbox because casual gamers don't like it'...  Prove them wrong Blizzard!!

i REALY hope you are right on this one.....i can dream cant i? hehe

But reality will be more like something e-sport/ladder kinda mmo me thinks.

They need something new to shine next to SC2 e-sports and wow pvp battlegrounds (hmm also e-sports).

They already showing (if you can listen closely in their interviews) that all their games (see also the upcomming D3) will include some form of e-sports.

I have nothing against this but it will always be TOO controlled by blizz......player content isnt under their controle and thereby will not happen.

So dont even think blizz will EVER make a sandbox.

My hopes are that Archeage will deliver some of the sandbox goods UO used to have.

• ne0-n1njane0-n1nja Member Posts: 3

GW2 in SEPTEMBER??? NO WAY!!

GW2 is coming out this April, at latest!

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Zenimax isn't actually developing an MMO, Interplay is.  Interplay are the guys who first published Fallout in 1997 under Bethesda's banner.  They just settled a law suit and its in question whether or not this game will come out.  Makes #5 a 50:50

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

The thing that strikes you throughout the predictions is that they are so remarkably upbeat. MMO’s just go from strength to strength each year. That would be so wonderful if it were not wrong.

10) Mobile MMO’s are the latest in a long line of trends towards simplicity; they are on mobiles so they don’t have the processing power. We saw what happened to MMO’s when they started to be made for consoles as well as PC’s, simplistic graphics, dodgy PC controls. I am not saying graphics have not improved, but they are improving at a console pace, not a PC pace. Worst of all though is the expansion of the player base. Consoles brought in loads of teenagers which made MMO’s loose much of their maturity and finally be made for those less mature.

Now we have mobiles, wake up guys, what do you think is going to happen to MMO’s now? What age group is on their mobile’s all the time? What age group spends more money on throw away consumables than any other? MMO’s will become even more the domain of the under 20’s. But not only that, mobiles are not a gaming device, consoles are, MMO designers will do their best to be as inclusive of everyone who owns a mobile. The further influence of mobiles will be change the nature of what a MMO is, I really don’t want to spend my MMO life looking after a farm.

9) Social media are taking over gaming, but that’s not a good thing. Games were once made for gamers, now there is a shift to make them for Facepalm users and Twitless types. I do know gamers use these sites, maybe you do? But you are a minority there, the new games will move in the direction of the majority, business always goes where the money is.

8) I agree that there will be fusion between different MMO genres, but we have seen that before and it has not always been a resounding success. Here it’s painted as if nothing can go wrong. We have already ended up with games that are a mish-mash of ideas pandering to everyone and satisfying no one long term. More of the same seems certain in the New Year.

7) The great hope is indie MMO’s but MMO’s started out as being rather ‘indie’ themselves. They were niche games made by newcomers as much as established gaming companies. Fifteen years later and they are totally corporate in outlook. How long before the indie companies are snapped up by the giants? EA, Sony, Times-Warner…there are some very big beasts out there who want a bite of every pie.

6 and 5) More hype on the way…yeah!

4) Breaking news…WoW will release a new expansion in 2012. This is wonderful surprise news for the MMO gaming community! Oh and more hype on the way!

3) More hype on the way…yeah!

2) More hype on the way…yeah!

1) The granddaddy of all Hype will begin as Blizzard announces their new MMO. More hype on the way…yeah!

In conclusion the 2012 MMO year will be one of little innovation, more easymode and the trend of MMO’s to become designed for people who are not gamers will continue. Oh and one heck of a lot of hype. Yeah its going to be a real ‘doozy’. :)

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

if thats the only big ne3ws for 2012 it's gonna be a damn stale years for mmos. you left out the sunstone valley expansion coming to free realms i believe spring of this year. and cummon tor is gonna have a big content push this year...and what about the game trion is developing with syfy what happened to that

so say we all

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

Nice one, but why not yet Reader's GOTY? Maybe because you cannot do EAWare SW:CRAP more advertising?

And, btw, still no innovation? Well, i still remain on F2P games. Call me when we should have a really innovative great game. Because grinding MMOs are boring, now and forever.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

1. Anybody who believes SWTOR is going to go F2P this year I would like a wager. This is going to be the mmo that is going to win the most subs at the end of the year. Mark my words, no matter what you think of it, or what it needs it is going to win the most subs.  Especially if they are on point with the expansions and new content patches.

2. TSW is going to set the standard for the niche AAA mmorpg. Yes Funcom messed up on the past on its mmos- before Ragnar was in charge. this guy being in charge of a mmo is a big big deal. The only reason this game is not going to be the high sub game is because its content is too high end intelligencia for the common mmorpg gamer, and I am glad its this way. I expect to see alot of whining posts about the game being boring by alot of the casuals or typical themepark crowd, or asking why the game doesn't have FFA pvp, and I am gong to smile because this is not the game for either one of those groups. This is the game for the old school PC gamers who enjoyed The Longest Journey and Dreamfall as well as games like Planescape:Torment. TSW is going to be the PC nerds mmo, and that is good in my eyes. It will have smaller sub numbers with a hardcore fanbase. Which is all that Funcom needs. Ragnar is not going to let his baby fail. I am willing to place a bet on that one. Any takers?

3. GW2 is seriously being overhyped by its fans,  its also another mmorpg with the same tired old storyline the world vs the dragons- again. Haven't we seen this before? I mean hey I'm going to get this game because its B2P mainly but I honestly think that this and Copernicus and WoW being out at the same time is going to pretty much kill the Euro fantasy themepark mmorpg. If SOE- asses they are really make EQNEXT a sandbox they are going to clean house.  The EURO fantasy AAA themepark is on its way out. Tired cliche storylines, tired cliche presentation of races is going to make this sub genre obsolete. 

Zenimax IS making a TES mmorpg,and even if it  has half the features its single player games have these other fantasy mmos are dead. Euro fantasy mmo developers really need to take a look at the stories they are providing- they are killing their own genre with their presentation and they need to leave the dragon thing along for a very very looong time. Golems, Demons, Vampires whatever, just please please stop it with all the dragons already, to a CASUAL mmo fan your game looks no different from WoW. Come up with a new big bad for once and leave all the typical ones alone, and please god some fresh new takes on races (how bout some damn evil elves for once eh? I mean you see them all the time in other gaming genres).

GW2 will be a good game, but it is not going to save the world and its not going to live to expectations because the expectations are too damn high right now and I will say it again, its PRESENTATION when it comes to world design (not gameplay features) does not set it apart enough for the casual mmo player. This is going to be a niche AAA mmo with alot of its box sales coming from the PVP crowd who brought the previous version, and those like myself who will buy it because its B2P and I do not see this game launching before TSW. I think its going to launch between June and September myself. I honestly think they blew it with the world design and the one thing that made GW ridiculously cool- its humans. By putting all the humans under one roof and basically one choice, they lost what makes them special. These guys really could have pushed their various human races in their advertising, because outside of fantasy nerds if you think Asuras or the plant elf race would be more popular than a seperate Canthan or Elonian race with their own starting areas then you are seriously mistaken. It was a mistake to focus on the non human races. The Charr is the only one worth mentioning, the rest are a bunch of tired fantasy cliches and the Asura is a bit to animeish for the typical western EURO fantasy gamer, yes I know you love it, but the average mmo player- esp casuals will not. Not having a focus on Cantha and Elona and letting them have their own starting areas from day one is a big big mistake. Seems like even in 2012 devs still have no idea of player race representation in their mmorpgs and how to cash in on this, and this is very very sad.  If they focused on their various flavors of humans more and really plugged them they would be placed into a different category outside of WoW that B2P model would also reaaally help with this kind of focus. *Puts a niche AAA mmorpg stamp on this one.

4. Wildstar is not coming this year, but as more and more gets revealed about it its going to attract a very very interested fanbase. Personally I think this game if done as the devs say they are going to do it  is going to set the new standard of the sandpark (themepark/sandbox) mmo. Which is going to be a damn good thing.

5. The rise of the Asian mmorpg in america- Archeage if picked up is going to also set some good standards, we wont see it till 2013 and it will never be the commercial hit  that many think it should be, but it will also be a new entry in what I think will be another future mmorpg staple- the niche AAA mmorpg. I just hope that they can get the combat down right. Bad enough that they are going to have to deal with close minded racist americans who won't play an asian mmo because it looks "animeish'' *facepalms. Age of Wulin also looks promising with some of its features like your toon turning into an npc when you log off. Yes the game is gong to be niche, but it does have features that devs need to take notice on.

6. THQ is going to kill its own mmo with that damn two faction mess, especially with Planetside 2 coming out. I don't think these guys know what they have honestly. I want WAR 40k to do very well but I don't think its going to. Planetside 2 is going to strangle this game in the mmofps category because I have a funny feeling that THQ is not going to focus on the Warhammer fans more than they are going to focus on the fps fans.

7. Tera is going to be the fantasy DCUO with less subs, Lineage Eternal looks like its going to whoop the butt of Diablo 3, and GW2 will launch after TSW.

8. There will be one wildcard mmo announcement this year. I don't know what it is but I can feel it in my bones. Its going to be signififcant.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!