Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is really good.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I'm very critical of MMO lately, since it's all pretty much "the same" and this game surprsied me.

I always wanted to play the game but it never came out in Europe until now, so I'm pretty late to the party but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Having a group in mere seconds is great, not having to run is great, having no timesinks is great, the graphics are superb and it runs on my 5770 on max detail without issues (this surprised me the most, this engine is amazing), the combat is miles ahead of other MMO, the way you can destruct the environment is ridiculously fun, the way it gives you hints and makes the game enjoyable is great.

I can only find one minor issue with it so far and that's that on European servers, some missions have very rarely a German title, I speak German fine, but this should just be English for everyone imo, but it's really really rare that it happens, everything else is in English.

I am starting to love this game.

(oh, I'm level 28 for what it's worth)

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

And now I came at the not so good part. At around level 44, there is a serious lack of quests and you are forced to grind the same instance over and over to get your experience, this seems to become progressively worse teh higher level you get.

Up till now it was a great game, but I think I'm done playing now, since grinding the same content ad-infinitum isn't my cup of tee, I have done my share in EQ.

Good game until it becomes a grind at level 44 and up.

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Considering you're playing an MMO, im surprised you're put off by grind. Since, you know, the whole point of an MMO is to be a time sink... maybe MMOs just shouldn't be a part of you life for a little while untill if feels fresh again?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

You will Run "Hidden" 200 times to go from 60-69 and an additional 100 times to hit level 70, which you will need to be in order to wear the gear required to meet the "PuG standard" stats in order to be accepted onto a boat, unless of course you can host.

You will need a +10 weapon of  appropriate level in order to perform decently in end game content, those weapons run you about $40.00 USD, Enchantment scrolls are a whole different ball park of ludicrous. Enchants being as painful as they are can easily triple the worth of items.

Hero mode from boat 6 and up are designed for BiS players, and are the only places that drop the higher rank enchant scrolls, enchants scrolls that break your items on failure.

While the game does offer some great boss fights, along with a highly kinetic action based combat system, it simply isn't worth the time and cost for the amount of "fun" value you actually get out of the game, and as soon as you realize that you're going to be running the same daily raids every day for next 3 months while you wait for the release of another 3hrs worth content to be added to the game*GASP*, then you'll probably end up feeling the way that most sane vindictus veterans feel.

After I spent $600.00 on this game to be "good", I realized I should probably stop playing this game all together.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I tried this game and put it in the "push a button something amazing happens" catagory.  I dont like the control restrictions of Korean games, most dont have a jump fuction (like this one) or pushing a button launches your character into some predetermined combat dance ending you up in some place other than where you started with no control of your character from point A to point B.  Plus its free to play meaning if you ever want to get serious about PvP be prepared to open your wallet big time, they need someone to pay for the free loaders.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by moosecatlol

You will Run "Hidden" 200 times to go from 60-69 and an additional 100 times to hit level 70, which you will need to be in order to wear the gear required to meet the "PuG standard" stats in order to be accepted onto a boat, unless of course you can host.

You will need a +10 weapon of  appropriate level in order to perform decently in end game content, those weapons run you about $40.00 USD, Enchantment scrolls are a whole different ball park of ludicrous. Enchants being as painful as they are can easily triple the worth of items.

Hero mode from boat 6 and up are designed for BiS players, and are the only places that drop the higher rank enchant scrolls, enchants scrolls that break your items on failure.

While the game does offer some great boss fights, along with a highly kinetic action based combat system, it simply isn't worth the time and cost for the amount of "fun" value you actually get out of the game, and as soon as you realize that you're going to be running the same daily raids every day for next 3 months while you wait for the release of another 3hrs worth content to be added to the game*GASP*, then you'll probably end up feeling the way that most sane vindictus veterans feel.

After I spent $600.00 on this game to be "good", I realized I should probably stop playing this game all together.

I got all end game gear without spending a dime. So, I don't know why you did. Seems more like you were just lazy.

Originally posted by coolgy

Considering you're playing an MMO, im surprised you're put off by grind. Since, you know, the whole point of an MMO is to be a time sink... maybe MMOs just shouldn't be a part of you life for a little while untill if feels fresh again?

Hmm I think your idea of grind and other peoples idea of grind are different, I dont play MMO's that run out of content half leveled leaving you to do repeatables or just mindlessly killing mobs as the OP pointed out to you.

Also the content has to be worthy in the first place something you wont get from half assed localized Korean cookie cutter free to plays.

Originally posted by Sector13

I got all end game gear without spending a dime. So, I don't know why you did. Seems more like you were just lazy.

Again your idea of end game gear and someone elses in game can vary widely. 

Originally posted by snapfusion

Originally posted by Sector13

Again your idea of end game gear and someone elses in game can vary widely. 

Best gear possible is what I meant, donno about you though this was a while ago, even so, still didn't involve me wasting money "to be good". I think you were doing it wrong.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Apparently sector13 claims to have a $2500 set of gear.

Anyways, some more numbers for anyone who cares, the current BiS accessory prefix enchant drop rate is 0.009% from a boss that takes 10-15 mins a run with full group of 15/9 players. That's around 110 runs to get one scroll for one accessory that has 40% success rate.

As its already been posted on the vindictus forums by Holden, you either bot or buy, there is no option of farming.

This is the one game in the history of what is commonly perceived to be mmos, that has ever scaled its drop rates around the fact that there are botters in the game.

Consider this fact when ever you think about trying out a Nexon game. Especially if you have to deal with Nexon-NA.

Oh look at the time, time to get point DQ'd from another afk team in a Snowball Tournament, YEAH!

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

My GF and I love it atm. A really fun game. Once it stops being fun we will stop. Untill then we'l smash up some more [email protected]  :) .

Originally posted by coolgy

Considering you're playing an MMO, im surprised you're put off by grind.

Since, you know, the whole point of an MMO is to be a time sink...

Not sure if it is, I've played some MMO that didn't really evolve into timesinks, Street Gears is still my favorite MMO and it didn't really became a timesink. (on the other hand I played EQ for 3 years so I know a timesink when I see one)

With Vindictus it just seems clear to me that it becomes a grind.

*you first have your transformation path at level 40, this is xp within xp that needs to be grinded out

*you have the ever increasing xp caps (this happens in many MMO, but still it's there nontheless)

*you have hero mode that starts to take quite a long time to do, even with a fast group

*you have enchants farming, takes a lot of time and you can potentially break your armor

*maxing out AP becomes very slow and you're forced to do dailys if you want to keep your main stats up to par

*grinding loot, on newer servers there isn't a whole lot at higher levels and most is ridiculously priced because of the gold farmers, so new players end up being forced to grind out the gear

etc

At higher levels you also encounter many of the same zones reskinned, Ruins is repeated three times, hollows 2 (made it to lvl 54 iirc).

Mobs also become repetitive after a while. Every mob requires either a timed guard or block on my fiona or just skip around with blink on evie. While this was fun at first, it does become very monotonous.

I still love the game for the first 30 levels or so, but then it really became a drag for me.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

i was waiting this game in 2010 but it never came to europe and due to that i said fuck that shit, globalism or nothing , they can keep their bloody game for all i say.

but now when i need to wait 8 hours sometimes if im unlucky and have day off sametime when mainteanance comes on current mmo i play i decided to install vindictus, for all i can see now is nice looking potential for being something big.

if you can get this kinda combat , looks and moves and animations of characters to a not so instanced modern mmo,

i would be more than happy. also if there would be more customization of chars meaning classes and well yeah gender.

so far its ok during the maintenance wait game =)

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

this game is peer 2 peer unless you like delay lag all the time when  doing raids stay away yes its tons of fun (until you realize you can't group)

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

this game is peer 2 peer unless you like delay lag all the time when  doing raids stay away yes its tons of fun (until you realize you can't group)

The lag only happens with bad hosts though, 9 out of 10 people's connection is good enough. I have a very fast connection and whenever a raid lags I simply offer to host it and it's np after that.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I like this game when i solo, but around level 35, I usually have a hard time soloing on my karak, leveling up become slower and hardly any quests to speed up my leveling process. I try to join into other people's group, but I hate their shitty internet connection that make me lag thoughtout the game (and this happens most of the time). I don't plan on buying anything in this game that cost real money on this game, for many reasons.

• Shifty48Shifty48 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Been playing this for some time, and have to say the best game I have played for a very long time.

I'm even in a guild.

I have a lvl 63 Evie you know the one with all thegreat spells, as regards it's a grind a lvl 44 thats really not true.

Things start to dry up a little, and I only found myself going back to quests for a short time, but it is worth it.

May I just say  play this, and get to about lvl 40 then you have the choice of transforming into a Paladin, or a Dark Knight which I might add looks awsome.

There are a lot of free MMO's out there, but have to say this one has real quality gamewise, and graphicwise.

Combat is so fluid too, there are NO fits, and stops between. Hope to see more from these guys they have doen a great job on this game, if this was for sale in a store, and PAYP I would still have bought it.

It must be addictive it's even stopped me from playjing STWTOR :)), "for a while ".

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The worst thing is the recycled maps. 3x the ruins, 2x the ice caves. And that's only up to episode 7 so far playing EU version). I hope the future episodes feature more different locations, and more differences between the maps of one location itself.

Besides this, it is pretty good. You are not forced to get to max level within a day, or to always max out AP.  And just doing the daily battles + Titan (as the current high end raid on the European Servers) gives enough AP and money i'd say. Yes, new stuff is quite expensive, but if you want the newest high end armor on the day the update went live, it's nobodys fault but you if you do not have enough gold. You had enough time to prepare. It's not like they would introduce new armor sets etc. every other week.

I actually think the market place in Vindictus is one of the most fair i encountered.  For example, in DDO, the marketplace was impossible to use due to a lack of search and sorting. In Vindictus, most of the stuff is presorted pretty good, and you can search for specific words, even for seaminly arbitrary char combinations like "ht gl" which most likely will lead to only displaying stuff from the Queen's Light Glory set. If you filtered for helmets before searching, it will only display the helmet.

Also, the prices: New stuff is dropping quite fast in price, until a standard price has reached, after which it will only go up and down a bit. Like, before the EP 6 update, Ice Crystals were always around 15.000 gold. If you were lucky, you could get 18.000, if you had bad luck it would be at 12.000, but only an hour later it would be back at 15.000.

You can make a profit (over selling it to an NPC merchant) with nearly everything. Just watch the prices. And if not, you can still sell it to the NPC, so you get gold anyways. And often, if you are willing to take a risk, you can buy materials for the high end equipment, craft it (yourself, or go to the respective NPC) maybe enhance it, and sell the finished item. Can easily lead to 20% profit for highly sought items like the Rakum Rakish (best staff in EP6 for Evie) the first 3 weeks after the update.

Similar with AP. If you enjoy playing the game, you are going to to the daily battles or raids anyways, so you get a lot ot AP there. And you can do the transformation once every full hour, so theoretically 24 times on one day, meaning up to 1.2 levels of Dark Knight/Paladin a day. Obviously not many will play that much, but still, it's not like the transformation is a requirement. And in the long run, it adds up anyways. Also, some people maxed it out within a week, others maxed their level or AP etc. And now they are bored because tthere is nothing to achieve anymore.

Talking about level - it's not really important once you are near the high end. Currently, on the European servers, max level is 70, the highest battle has an requirement of 60. And you do not gain much by leveling further, AP and Equipment is more important. And titles. They add up. But you can most of it by simply playing, maybe slightly favoring something that helps you progress in a title, like, kicking a kobold now and then instead of slaughtering them all everytime, but it only starts to be grind if you do nothing but this.

Another thing i don't like is the fact that ithe actual instances are hosted by the paty leader. Meaning, his connection decides if you lag. Most people can host 4 people for the missions, but doing raids can be very laggy with a bad connection. And i really hope they *do* provide dedicated servers for everything beyond 8 players, like the 24 man raids in future episodes.

@CalmOceans: Vindictus uses the Source Engine developed by Valve, employed in games like Half Life 2, Portal/Portal 2 and Team Fortess 2. It is known for still looking quite good while not having ridiculous requirements like most games of today. And about the German titles: I noticed that too. But no, it shouldn't be English for everyone, it should stay in the language you selected. It's available in English, German, French and Polish after all.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by CalmOceans

And now I came at the not so good part. At around level 44, there is a serious lack of quests and you are forced to grind the same instance over and over to get your experience, this seems to become progressively worse teh higher level you get.

Up till now it was a great game, but I think I'm done playing now, since grinding the same content ad-infinitum isn't my cup of tee, I have done my share in EQ.

Good game until it becomes a grind at level 44 and up.

If you can't handle a grind here or there, I think its time for you to hang up MMOs. Your only hurting yourself though, 40+ is when the game gets amazing. You fight some truly fun, hard bosses.

This game is so much fun til endgame, and then its like the game dies. Going from level 1 til endgame though is the most fun I've had in any MMO ever. If they could just find a medium between content and their form of "raiding" I dare say this would be one of the most fun games ever made. Plus, transforming is always awesome in any game.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Anireth

Another thing i don't like is the fact that ithe actual instances are hosted by the paty leader. Meaning, his connection decides if you lag. Most people can host 4 people for the missions, but doing raids can be very laggy with a bad connection. And i really hope they *do* provide dedicated servers for everything beyond 8 players, like the 24 man raids in future episodes.

I'm interested in the part where you talk about dedicated servers for future raids. Is this just your speculation, or is this something that might really happen? The way you host games right now is truly stupid, if they added dedicated servers that would probably be the best update they could ever do for this game.

Originally posted by Kraiser

Originally posted by Anireth

I'm interested in the part where you talk about dedicated servers for future raids. Is this just your speculation, or is this something that might really happen? The way you host games right now is truly stupid, if they added dedicated servers that would probably be the best update they could ever do for this game.

I'm sure they are working more towards Mabinogi 2 then worrying about changing a system that's been established for years.

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

All 24 man content (episode 9.5 24 man dragon and spider raids, and episode 10 24 man dragon/kaeghan raids) are hosted on dedicated servers in Korea's version. So its safe to assume once they're released in NA, we will have dedicated hosting for those raids as well.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvf3FvSvJ-U&feature=related

I'm still playing the game of and on, (yes even after lvl 40).

This game has spoiled me so much that I can't stand other combat systems now, this game is lightyears ahead in terms of combat.

The new episode (think we got 7) added a lot of counters to small shield Fiona too, which increased the fun of the combat a lot for me.

If this game took the combat and put it inside a consistent open world, it would be the best thing since cupcakes!

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

I have played Vindictus off and on for a while now.  It is a great game for when you want to just jump in and have fun for a short amount of time and don't feel like playing for hours on end.  The game play is smooth and fun.  Lately I have enjoyed Dragon Nest a good deal more mainly because my daughter also enjoys it.   Both games have similar combat, both have gender locked classes.  Vindictus is a lot more realistic while Dragon Nest is more Anime but all in all they both have very similar game play and are both very fun.

Honestly I am not big on games that require a lot of running from place to place and both Vindictus and Dragon Nest don't have a lot of wasted time running around.   Both game be played with a gamepad or keyboard or keyboard and mouse.   Dragon Nest never lags on me, but I do get lag in Vindictus but that is largely due to the high quality graphcis and the fact that I have all the graphics settings set to high.

I rarely group up in Vindictus though.  In Dragon Nest I only group with my daughter so I can't speak much on either as far as community as I tend to be a loner in Vindictus and only play with family in Dragon Nest.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

I think it's funny how OP went from "Game is new,fresh and awesome" to "I quit this grindfest" in less then a week time :)

I LoLed.

Not sure I want to download it now.

Same as OP I've played EQ for a very long time, it was my first MMO and the last that kept me entertained for a long time (4 years).

After EQ I can't remember a MMO that kept me interested for longer then 2 months.

Someone please make a good MMO, PLEASE!!!

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• SpartafoolSpartafool Member CommonPosts: 2

A mabinogi 2? i didnt think there would be a squel