Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMO Predictions for 2012

Comments

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by red_cruiser

After playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, I am absolutely done, finished and kaput with any two faction MMORPG.  If a game comes out, and it has only two factions, I don't care if it's Care Bears Online, Warhammer 40k or the Elder Scrolls Online, I will not participate in the beta test, I will not buy it just to check it out, and I will not download it when it goes F2P.  I will not reward a company for such banal game design with either my time or my money.

Ditto.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

I totally predicted #1 as well.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

GW2 will start his OB in March or April! ( for sure )! It will last for around 2-3 months, then after 1 month, we will see the release!

Aion will go F2P in february in EU , so there is no way for GW2 to have an OB by then! This is market strategy, and ANet + NcSoft knows what they are doing!

PS: And a September release sounds acceptable for GW2, even if I tend to say that it will be August!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

My predictions, for what they're worth:

• Diablo 3 hits later than anticipated (easy prediction; Blizzard is always late in releasing major titles), probably some time in the summer

• Mists of Pandaria hits on schedule, but only after having major features cut at the last minute (anyone anticipating it hitting earlier than scheduled is dreaming; has Blizzard *ever* released a title early in its entire history?)

• Blizzard keeps Titan in the freezer after its management decides not to do anything that would interfere with the WoW cash cow in any way

• Secret World severely disappoints

• Guild Wars 2 releases in the fall, to favorable reviews, but does not quite meet expectations

• Star Wars: The Old Republic cranks out content to keep subscriptions up and manages to stay alive

• Rift continues to dwindle toward Vanguard-esque irrelevance, with a small but highly dedicated player base that is not quite enough to fund new development

• Mobile MMOs continue to disappoint

• MOBAs continue to strengthen, with League of Legends dominating the market, Heroes of Newerth following in a distant second place, and Dota 2 prompting everyone to ask:  why, exactly, did Valve decide to invest so much into developing a game that is a straightforward but mediocre copy of a freely downloadable custom map?
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah I figure GW2 will release earlier than September, but who knows?  I don't care about Titan because I have no info on it.  Just because Blizzard is making it does not fill me with confidence after their last couple duds.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I doubt that Guild Wars 2 will release in September, that's too late. Its release will be in April-May.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Well I'd actually likt to agree with a pretty optimistic September launch prediction. We all want it out sooner but I think it's still at least 6 months out. There is a lot we haven't seen yet and it'll take time to make everything just right to blow our minds. ArenaNet isn't going to get pinned down on a date until the game is ready and just needs to be shipped.

April sounds overly optimistic, 3 months till launch? I doubt it. That would mean open beta next month or something. If they were that close I'd think they'd be stepping up he reveal pace considerably. There is quite a way to go. No actual marketing going on as far as I can see. Second half of the year at the very soonest.

imageimage
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

I doubt that Guild Wars 2 will release in September, that's too late. Its release will be in April-May.

Yeah i am going with an April-May release,i doubt  ArenaNet will do will do another GamesCom without GW2 being released.image

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

Whats with all the releases after summer? Dont they want to get that summer game rush behind their title to boost sales/numbers?

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

every one will be playing archage... once it comes out..

And some maybe buy a copy of GW2 as it will be one time pay to play game..

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The next ten games released will suffer exactly the same fate as the last ten.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    You should not have named a releasedate for GW2

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

2012 mmo prediction: the old republic will lose so many subs that it will be forced to become F2P

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Originally posted by Asamof

2012 mmo prediction: the old republic will lose so many subs that it will be forced to become F2P

not sure about if it will go f2p tho..

But flop yes..( and yes flop... mmo's are not successfull by selling boxes only..)

only game that will be intresting is archeage i hear alot of things from first hand. the  beta is adding more and more stuff slowly..

I think it will be most of the complete games out there.

I like guildwars aswell.. small arena fights.. with high amount of teamplay.. but im not sure what there doing in gw2 with there open world pvp..

They say no questing involved.. i say welcome puclic quest's aka warhammer online.. maybe with a little twist.. but will see

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by TotTWriter

Regarding GW2, if the betas go ahead smoothly, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a lot earlier than September. 

They have already done a lot of testing and bug-fixing during the alpha stage, so many people following its development are expecting a release sometime around the late spring/early summer mark. A few people are hoping for February, though I don't quite share that kind of optimism. 

ArenaNet have mentioned in the past that they intend for their Beta phase to be much smaller than other developers would traditionally use. Open Beta in particular is expected to me more on the scale of a preview weekend.

I'm hoping for later rather than sooner. I need to get 30/50! >.>

Slowpoke.

All jokes aside, the HoM fanatacism has died down. Everything's cheap again. Now's as good a time as any to fill your HoM up with mini pets and hero armor. I think I even have a few spare I could sell ya *whistle*

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by TotTWriter

Regarding GW2, if the betas go ahead smoothly, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a lot earlier than September. 

They have already done a lot of testing and bug-fixing during the alpha stage, so many people following its development are expecting a release sometime around the late spring/early summer mark. A few people are hoping for February, though I don't quite share that kind of optimism. 

ArenaNet have mentioned in the past that they intend for their Beta phase to be much smaller than other developers would traditionally use. Open Beta in particular is expected to me more on the scale of a preview weekend. 

I'm hoping for later rather than sooner. I need to get 30/50! >.>

My bet is that we will see GW2 in May or June, so I guess you had better hurry up.  Some people claim you can get 30/50 in a focused weekend; personally, I don't think they have real world lives.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I predict 2012 is essentially the end of AAA MMORPGs. GW2 will be the last big release. The rest will be f2p browser games. Stick a fork in it.

• We'll find out what Titan is after GW2 is out and they copy it.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Tera then Gw2 then Arche Age, rest are garbage.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Is it sad that only half of those barely make me excited? 

Also no SWTOR prediction?  tsk tsk.

Also I hope that THQ has the balls to go two or three factions WITHOUT using all the races to start.  It should be chaos vs. space marines to start.  Later add tau, eldar, orks, dark eldar, and the guard.  Instead of just forcing all the races in the game at the start.  Oh and for the love of the emperor Tyranids and Nercons SHOULD NOT BE PLAYABLE EVER.  

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Wild Star will surprise almost everyone. GW2 will make the pvpers happy and lineage eternal will be wildly accepted as the diablo successor. Everquest next brings some life to the Everquest franchise. Just my thoughts and hopes :)

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by jeffyy

We'll find out what Titan is after GW2 is out and they copy it.

+1 hahahahahaha

:D

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by Gudrunix

My predictions, for what they're worth:

• Diablo 3 hits later than anticipated (easy prediction; Blizzard is always late in releasing major titles), probably some time in the summer

• Mists of Pandaria hits on schedule, but only after having major features cut at the last minute (anyone anticipating it hitting earlier than scheduled is dreaming; has Blizzard *ever* released a title early in its entire history?)

• Blizzard keeps Titan in the freezer after its management decides not to do anything that would interfere with the WoW cash cow in any way

• Secret World severely disappoints

• Guild Wars 2 releases in the fall, to favorable reviews, but does not quite meet expectations

• Star Wars: The Old Republic cranks out content to keep subscriptions up and manages to stay alive

• Rift continues to dwindle toward Vanguard-esque irrelevance, with a small but highly dedicated player base that is not quite enough to fund new development

• Mobile MMOs continue to disappoint

• MOBAs continue to strengthen, with League of Legends dominating the market, Heroes of Newerth following in a distant second place, and Dota 2 prompting everyone to ask:  why, exactly, did Valve decide to invest so much into developing a game that is a straightforward but mediocre copy of a freely downloadable custom map?

A little bleak, but very likely, I shouldn't wonder.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

yes more factions in 40k...so tired of people trying to argue on the anti fluff back ground. However It would be rather huge game if did a 5/7 faction system....Personally Im looking forward to dawning my space marine armor and gunning down tau, kroot, and vespid...Hell I could be chaos and do that and still be happy.

Would be nice if Gw would release the Hrud as a playable army as the lack of a skaven race in 40k has always been an issue for me.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

2012 will be the apex of MMO themeparks. Sandbox MMOs retake the genre in 2013.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.