Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What could be a typical day in GW2?

GranreyGranrey Member Posts: 53

On this game there is no rush to level as there is not much implication for PVP and PVE. You still interact with your friends regardless of their level and so on, you don’t have to compete against other players and you don’t have to worry too much about high level content that you cannot see until you level up.

So, a typical day in GW2 might start by you sometime during the day, taking a look at you GW2 smart phone app or webbrowser (either at work, at school, at public transit, at the park, at party, etc) and see what events are going on, see what friends are doing/ interact with them and decide if you want to log in or when to log in.  You might simply decide not to log in but still you had you game experience.

Another time, you decide to log in, you probably know what you want to do since you already had a layout of whats happening with your phone app or web browser on computer.

Then, you start participating in those events that you were insterested in, regardless If your friends or guildmates are doing something else.

Some unknown players are there............ Well, no worries about ksing, pking, player levels,  loot issues, player professions, how hard the event is (the events scale up or down). I don’t need to talk to stupid npc to pick up a quest. So, I start playing. Everybody is happy I’m there because the more players, the more epic the event is and more rewards (I might even get somebody saying: “Thx for joining in”).  I might even make some new friends.

If I end up not liking the event, I might leave it but still get some rewards and move to something else or finish the event and continue the event chain. I might even go and do some minigames.

I could end my PVE day. Doing what I want, when I want, how I want to do it, with who I want, up to when I want, get exps and rewards and think that I had fun and accomplished my day.

I could anytime do some PVP without worrying about being low level and not properly geared.

Now this is the question:

This sounds too good to be true, this sounds like an MMO Utopia. I like Anet but man even you guys have to admit this is hard to accomplish. I hope they do accomplish it.

Don’t get me wrong. I want this game to be as it is described by developers but man, they are setting the standard very high here. It makes me wonder.

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Well I see no reason why the scenario you laid out wouldn't be possible, with all the systems that are in place. We've seen proof that all the major feature (except WvWvW) are working as intended, so all that's pretty much left is the added polish and all the minor features.

As for me... my typical day in GW2 will be to log in, check who in my guild is online. Go to the nearest Asura Gate. Port to the Mist and have some unbalanced, large-scale, PvP fun.

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

til 80
    level up doing whatever you do until 80, learn class/skills etc

at 80
    queue for pvp arena
    rage for 1-3 hours at random team mates or have fun with friends/guildmates, depending on who is online
    log out
    so the same thing I did in GW1 for 2 years ^_^

maybe run a dungeon if they actually turn out decent

• RobbHoodRobbHood Member Posts: 58

Look a round, go where I wanna go.  Stumble across a situation and decide if I want to intervene.

Discover a group of players engaged in a battle. Help out and get rewarded.  Maybe we continue on or go our separate ways for the time being.

Gather some mats for crafting. Kill some things, make some new discoveries.  Randomly find some NPC's out in the world that need some things done.  Rally a few guildies to up the stakes and head back to town to shoot the breeze with some folks.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Enosh
    til 80
    level up doing whatever you do until 80, learn class/skills etcat 80
    queue for pvp arena
    rage for 1-3 hours at random team mates or have fun with friends/guildmates, depending on who is online
    log out
    so the same thing I did in GW1 for 2 years ^_^maybe run a dungeon if they actually turn out decent

You don't need to be 80 to do PvP, there is no queue, and your teammates aren't exactly random. No aspect of this game will be like GW1.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Well, i am an avid RP so ill be spending time in the cities of Tyria and meeting up with other RPers,I will also be journeying to far flung places.My guild will have many RP events and we will be doing alot of WvWvW plus plenty of DE/dungeons and city activities and games.

In the cities we will have certain buildings that we meet up in and chat that others don't frequent.

We will also have many secret meetings and talk about what dangers are happening in the world and what we can do to help turn the tide,the list goes on and on to be fare.

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

You don't need to be 80 to do PvP, there is no queue, and your teammates aren't exactly random. No aspect of this game will be like GW1.

-I know, but getting a class to 80 is a good way to lear the mechanics of the game, how some skills work etc

-how you mean no queue, doesn't it do the matchmaking thingy?

-how you mean "aren't exactly random"? can't I simply say "I want to play arena throw me into a team" if my friends or guild mates aren't online?

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Can't help thinking that I'll probably be saying a lot of:

'It's ok, I'm not stealing your kills / xp'

for a few days at least :)

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

til 80

at 80

queue for pvp arena

log out

Not true. In lore and design philosophy, the games aren't dissimilar. But in mechanics, GW2 is far more comparable to a traditional MMORPG.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Plain old people watching in the open world will be entertaining in this game at times.  Just finding a nice spot with a view and watching what happens.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Serelisk

Not true. In lore and design philosophy, the games aren't dissimilar. But in mechanics, GW2 is far more comparable to a traditional MMORPG.

Yeah, it's worth noting that the design philosophy really hasn't changed much at all from one game to the other.  It's just the budget and programming solutions used have changed. :)

For example, the instancing was a cheap solution to anti-griefing and being able to affect the world.  Now they came up with dynamic events, which is a far more complicated, but simultaneously better solution. :)

GW2 is basically what happens if you're the people who do GW1 and you end up with more money/time and all the experience from GW1 (That's a large part of why the changes to the combat system, like the weapon swaps.  Apparently balancing GW1, biggest pain in the ass ever.  They're valiant for even trying to. :) ).

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Meowhead
    For example, the instancing was a cheap solution to anti-griefing and being able to affect the world.  Now they came up with dynamic events, which is a far more complicated, but simultaneously better solution. :)

And yet they make phased resource nodes. I wish they would've made their whole game a dynamic event and not just the questing. Maybe they will add/change that in the future. When I look at this game, sometimes I am more hyped for their first expansion than the vanilla haha.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Granrey

On this game there is no rush to level as there is not much implication for PVP and PVE. You still interact with your friends regardless of their level and so on, you don’t have to compete against other players and you don’t have to worry too much about high level content that you cannot see until you level up.

So, a typical day in GW2 might start by you sometime during the day, taking a look at you GW2 smart phone app or webbrowser (either at work, at school, at public transit, at the park, at party, etc) and see what events are going on, see what friends are doing/ interact with them and decide if you want to log in or when to log in.  You might simply decide not to log in but still you had you game experience.

Another time, you decide to log in, you probably know what you want to do since you already had a layout of whats happening with your phone app or web browser on computer.

Then, you start participating in those events that you were insterested in, regardless If your friends or guildmates are doing something else.

Some unknown players are there............ Well, no worries about ksing, pking, player levels,  loot issues, player professions, how hard the event is (the events scale up or down). I don’t need to talk to stupid npc to pick up a quest. So, I start playing. Everybody is happy I’m there because the more players, the more epic the event is and more rewards (I might even get somebody saying: “Thx for joining in”).  I might even make some new friends.

If I end up not liking the event, I might leave it but still get some rewards and move to something else or finish the event and continue the event chain. I might even go and do some minigames.

I could end my PVE day. Doing what I want, when I want, how I want to do it, with who I want, up to when I want, get exps and rewards and think that I had fun and accomplished my day.

I could anytime do some PVP without worrying about being low level and not properly geared.

Now this is the question:

This sounds too good to be true, this sounds like an MMO Utopia. I like Anet but man even you guys have to admit this is hard to accomplish. I hope they do accomplish it.

Don’t get me wrong. I want this game to be as it is described by developers but man, they are setting the standard very high here. It makes me wonder.

Actually what you described above, especially in red, seems like a total snorefest.  I sure hope this is not what GW2 is planning on being.  Don't carebears have enough games out there?

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by gainesvilleg
    Actually what you described above, especially in red, seems like a total snorefest.  I sure hope this is not what GW2 is planning on being.  Don't carebears have enough games out there?

Bro, like, just about every MMO has factions and PvP servers now. What are you talking about?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Bro, like, just about every MMO has factions and PvP servers now. What are you talking about?

Don't want to start this debate here, but I strongly disagree with that.  Most MMO's are designed primarily around a PVE ruleset with PVP servers, as well as instanced PVP battlegrounds, very simplistically tossed in.  There are very very few games with a PVP ruleset truly integrated into the core game, such as EVE.

But looks like GW2 is taking the non-competetiveness in MMO's to a new low if what the OP described is accurate.  I haven't been folling GW2 as much as many here, so I'm hoping the OP just has not described accurately what GW2 is about...

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Don't want to start this debate here, but I strongly disagree with that.  Most MMO's are designed primarily around a PVE ruleset with PVP servers, as well as instanced PVP battlegrounds, very simplistically tossed in.  There are very very few games with a PVP ruleset truly integrated into the core game, such as EVE.

But looks like GW2 is taking the non-competetiveness in MMO's to a new low if what the OP described is accurate.  I haven't been folling GW2 as much as many here, so I'm hoping the OP just has not described accurately what GW2 is about...

I'm all for opinions but stop talking before you [know] lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by RizelStar

I'm all for opinions but stop talking before you [know] lol.

I was responding to the OP, who was describing how GW2 would be.  And as he described it I would be very very unhappy in that game.  Without competition gaming is meaningless for me.  That is why I play games.  My real life is carebear enough I don't need it in my games!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Sucks to be you then, bub. There's no open PvP in GW2, there's no KSing, there's no stealing, no ninja-ing, none of that. Everyone gets their own loot in dungeons, everyone gets full reward for beating up enemies so there's no KSing, people are rewarded for participating rather than getting the kill, and PvP is separate from PvE. GW2 is designed to be as anti-griefer as possible. By the way, the trend in games these days is exactly what you say it, PvP is generally separated from PvE because that's what the majority of gamers want. If you understand this, why are you suddenly surprised?

The original Guild Wars was no different, it's known for it's PvP and competitive gameplay because it's just that good, but that doesn't mean it's open and anyone can gank each other, or be complete dicks to everyone they come across. If anything, that should prove you don't need to PK in a game to prove you're a competent gamer.

As for your comment about carebears, the game is designed off the original Guild Wars, and adds some new conventions but generally sticks to the mold they established. Whether a subset of gamers already 'have enough games' is irrelevant, Guild Wars was never meant to be 'your' game. It is what it is, has long-since established its target audience. Gankers need not apply.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Sucks to be you then, bub. There's no open PvP in GW2, there's no KSing, there's no stealing, no ninja-ing, none of that. Everyone gets their own loot in dungeons, everyone gets full reward for beating up enemies so there's no KSing, people are rewarded for participating rather than getting the kill, and PvP is separate from PvE. GW2 is designed to be as anti-griefer as possible. By the way, the trend in games these days is exactly what you say it, PvP is generally separated from PvE because that's what the majority of gamers want. If you understand this, why are you suddenly surprised?

The original Guild Wars was no different, it's known for it's PvP and competitive gameplay because it's just that good, but that doesn't mean it's open and anyone can gank each other, or be complete dicks to everyone they come across. If anything, that should prove you don't need to PK in a game to prove you're a competent gamer.

As for your comment about carebears, the game is designed off the original Guild Wars, and adds some new conventions but generally sticks to the mold they established. Whether a subset of gamers already 'have enough games' is irrelevant, Guild Wars was never meant to be 'your' game. It is what it is, has long-since established its target audience. Gankers need not apply.

So what you're saying is it almost an exact opposite of the PVP model of a game like, say EVE?

if so, probably not a good thing for me as I really enjoyed the conflict, the competion, the big risks for the big rewards.

Between you and the OP you're pretty much confirming that they'll be none of that, and if so, you are correct, its not my style of game and strangely enough, I'm a carebear at heart.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Kyleran

So what you're saying is it almost an exact opposite of the PVP model of a game like, say EVE?

if so, probably not a good thing for me as I really enjoyed the conflict, the competion, the big risks for the big rewards.

Between you and the OP you're pretty much confirming that they'll be none of that, and if so, you are correct, its not my style of game and strangely enough, I'm a carebear at heart.

Are you guys somehow put off by the lack of ability to gank and grief other players?

If it's competition you want there are PVP modes, and the WvWvW that occurs in a separate huge map. 

Here's something I got from Sylvarii taken from http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337040/page/2:

Structured PvP:

"Hot join" games are the casual side of structured PvP. Hot join PvP can be played from 1v1 all the way up to 10v10.

Players can browse through a list of available games, each displaying the current map, the number of players, etc. Players can search by server population or friends list.

Tournaments are the more organized side of structured PvP. Tournament play is 5v5, but matches take place on the same maps that are used for hot join play. 

Pickup Tournaments: These single-elimination tournaments wait for 8 teams to join before starting. Once they start, they go through 3 rounds of eliminations, with winners receiving qualifier points. 

Monthly Tournaments: For monthly tournaments, you'll need a certain amount of qualifier points to join. 

Yearly Tournaments: These grand tournaments feature the winners from the monthly tournaments slugging it out for the right to call themselves the best PvP players of the year. 

Player-Run Tournaments: These tournaments will be customized by players, allowing for great flexibility and unique bragging rights. 

Guild Wars 2 PvP features different maps that all dramatically alter a single game type called Conquest. In the Conquest format, teams compete over a certain number of capture points. Holding a capture point and killing enemies improves your team's score. The first team to reach the score limit—or the team with the highest score when time runs out—wins the match. 

WvWvW PvP:

This is a game mode where 3 servers are pit against each other in a FFA across 4 persistent maps in a place off the world map called The Mists. This is joinable by anyone at any time, 24/7. Each battle lasts 2 weeks and the winner of the 3 servers then gets matched up with 2 other equally matched servers. A world's rank increases as it wins more often. During combat there is no direct way for these worlds to communicate with each other.

At launch there will be 1 map that is split into 4 maps, 1 map that is the home map for each server and in the center is a neutral center map. Each map has resources and objectives to capture, things like castles, fortresses, mercenary camps, mines, lumber mills and villages. These sites, with the management of their capture and defense, allow teams of all different sizes to find a way to participate.

For example, larger groups or guilds may take or hold keeps, while smaller group sizes or even individual participants might assist by disrupting supply caravans, weakening defenses, or capturing other objectives that will stop reinforcements. Maps will also be populated with defensively-oriented NPCs to set the pace of gameplay, but their presence is to allow defending players a chance to join in the defense as opposed to being a credible or reliable threat.

Resources gained from mines and lumber mills are used to rebuild walls, create siege engines, and generally defend the world's fortress. Once they move to the central map, players joining will start at their world's portal keep. From there they may continue to capture objectives while dealing with players from other worlds seeking to invade opposing home maps via the central map zone. Thus, play will travel between the central map and home maps as worlds gain and lose footholds such as keeps and strategic points that influence bonuses for their home world.

So all of the objectives in WvW use the Dynamic Event system. Say like your server takes over a mine, a new event will kick off to escort the minecart back to a nearby keep. Both of the other servers will have an event to destroy your minecart. If you get it back to a keep, your server then gains access to siege weaponry to use against your enemies.

World benefits

Territories and control points within the map will confer benefits to the world that controls them, such as faster energy/health regeneration, increased drop rate or increased experience gain for a time.

Individual rewards

Players can gain experience and level their character entirely in World PvP. Killing people in World vs World gives the player loot which means a player doesn't need to leave World PvP to get better gear.

Without competition gaming is meaningless for me.  That is why I play games.

There is plenty of opportunity for competition, but the game is designed such that this competition doesn't happen in the cooperative PvE areas. Structured PvP is the more "competitive" area, and WvWvW provides a PvP experience a lot like DAoC. There are some PvE objectives in the WvWvW areas, though, so there is still some opportunity for ganking if that's you're thing.

I like the concept of open PvP in games like EVE and classic UO, but I also think that developers should stick to their ideals. PvP is watered down in a lot of games because as you said, it's sort of an afterthought. With the concept they have, adding in open PvP or even PvP servers would be bad. It's not a "new low", it's the way they're designing their game. If you're looking for something with EVE-like PvP, then you won't find it in GW2 any more than you'd find an explorable persistent world in TF2.

• GranreyGranrey Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Granrey

On this game there is no rush to level as there is not much implication for PVP and PVE. You still interact with your friends regardless of their level and so on, you don’t have to compete against other players  

Some unknown players are there............ Well, no worries about ksing, pking, player levels,  loot issues, player professions, how hard the event is (the events scale up or down).

My experience in MMO is that I waste so much time trying to accomplish little things that should not take long.

In my current MMO (and very similar in my other previous ones), I have daily quests that I must do to improve my gear. I have to spend time running to the NPCs, I also have to waste time finding a squad (with every profession in it) and play with people that I don’t necessarily want to play, I also have to waste time finding the bosses as they could be anywhere. I have to watch out for ninja looters, Ksers and a bunch of problems.

I also have to do those dailies to keep up with my friends. Otherwise, they will go to upper levels and we might not play together often again, as we have different quests.

Regarding in PVP, I want to compete in leveled playing field. Same gear, Same skills, etc.  I dont want to compete with people that spend days grinding to kick your butt, while you have a life outside game too.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

til 80

at 80

queue for pvp arena

log out

I wouldn't say that. Your right with no queues, no need to be 80, but there will still be heaps of Meta going on throughout the game as people find new builds and cool class and cross-class combos to improve their game.

For me my typical day I'll probably get online see what my guild is up to (while at work muahaha), get home, hop on. If my main guild is doing something I'll join them, maybe do a hard mode dungeon (or attempt to do so, they are going to be quite challenging. if not I'll do some tasks to build up my Karma, or run a new story mode dungeon with a pug,  get involved in a few fun DEs perhaps. All that time I'll be leveling up, but since that really isn't the primary focus of the game I probably will only notice when I ding or get my new abilities. If I'm 80 I'll perhaps work toward unlocking an Elite with the 'special events or missions' that unlock them. Or perhaps I'll be working toward getting the Trait I want next. Perhaps I'll just do a few minigames for an hour or two if that's all I have. Or work toward getting my achievements, or helping the guild get theirs.

I may also warp to my home city for some RP,  and do some crafting and experimenting and play the market. With experimentation allowing the crafter to discover schematics, I do hope to find my own niche in the market, like I did in SWG. I'm a crafter so I'm sure I'll spend tuns of time experimenting and hopefully discover some cool schematics. I'm also hoping that, since the game isn't gear focused, crafters might be the predominant source of gear, consumables, RP costumes, outfits (GW1 had thousands of outfits), etc.

if my main guild isn't on or I'm not in the mood to craft or PvE I'll switch to my PvP guild, perhaps join my favorite 'server' if it's active. Or perhaps I'll head to he mists, help my second guild capture a keep, put down a PvP focused DE. Perhaps there will be a Darkness Falls style dungeon there I can particpate in. If not I'll enter the mysts and fight amongst a hundred other people to push those other f'ing srevers, or attend a secret meeting to form an alliance with a server to push back the third, etc.

The beautiful thing about this game is I can do any of these, at any level. People moan that 'there is no end game, no raiding', but the ENTIRE GAME is end game! Since levels don't matter really because you'll be moving up and down them frequently as you go to participate in a cool DE you missed at lower level, or your guild forms up to try and unlock a dragon fight or do a story mode dungeon, or you join a hot-joinable PvP match, or do some WvWvW, every single aspect of the game can be participated in, be challenging and fun no matter your level.

The entire game is end game. And that my friends is bloody awesome.

Edit: Spelling & Grammar

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Fion

til 80

at 80

queue for pvp arena

log out

I wouldn't say that. Your right with no queues, no need to be 80, but there will still be heaps of Meta going on throughout the game as people find new builds and cool class and cross-class combos to improve their game.

For me my typical day I'll probably get online see what my guild is up to (while at work muahaha), get home, hop on. If my main guild is doing something I'll join them, maybe do a hard mode dungeon (or attempt to do so, they are going to be quite challenging. if not I'll do some tasks to build up my Karma, or run a new story mode dungeon with a pug,  get involved in a few fun DEs perhaps. All that time I'll be leveling up, but since that really isn't the primary focus of the game I probably will only notice when I ding or get my new abilities. If I'm 80 I'll perhaps work toward unlocking an Elite with the 'special events or missions' that unlock them. Or perhaps I'll be working toward getting the Trait I want next. Perhaps I'll just do a few minigames for an hour or two if that's all I have. Or work toward getting my achievements, or helping the guild get theirs.

I may also warp to my home city for some RP,  and do some crafting and experimenting and play the market. With experimentation allowing the crafter to discover schematics, I do hope to find my own niche in the market, like I did in SWG. I'm a crafter so I'm sure I'll spend tuns of time experimenting and hopefully discover some cool schematics. I'm also hoping that, since the game isn't gear focused, crafters might be the predominant source of gear, consumables, RP costumes, outfits (GW1 had thousands of outfits), etc.

if my main guild isn't on or I'm not in the mood to craft or PvE I'll switch to my PvP guild, perhaps join my favorite 'server' if it's busy. Or perhaps I'll head to he mists, hope my second guild capture a keep, put down a PvP focused DE. Perhaps there will be a Darkness Falls style dungeon there I can particpate in. If not I'll enter the mysts and fight amongst a hundred other people to push those other f'ing srevers, or attend a secret meeting to form an alliance with a server to push back the third, etc. Dungeon gear rewards might have better stats but not look as cool as some of the crafted outfits so you use a stone to switch the stats. Or vice versa. The possibilties are nearly endless.

The beautiful thing about this game is I can do any of these, at any level. People moan that 'there is no end game, no raiding', but the ENTIRE GAME is end game! Since levels don't matter really because you'll be moving up and down them frequently as you go to participate in a cool DE you missed at lower level, or your guild forms up to try and unlock a dragon fight or do a story mode dungeon, or you join a hot-joinable PvP match, or do some WvWvW, every single aspect of the game can be participated in, be challenging and fun no matter your level.

The entire game is end game. And that my friends is bloody awesome.

What's more awesome is that it's possible and the fact you didn't say anything unrealistic.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Kyleran

There is plenty of competition as has already been discussed in this thread and elsewhere, in the world designed for WvWvW. It's its own area, it has its own events, its own loot, etc. If you want to constantly look over your shoulder, the Mists is where you'll want to be. While it will be reset every 2 weeks, whatever achievements you gain there are your own, really the reset just addresses who the 'winners' are, as whichever world does the best at the end of that time gains rewards and reknown for everyone that's on their server.

It's being compared to a battleground often, but it's more like a battle world. I think people are confusing the Mists (WvWvW) with the tournament/pvp instanced competitions and actual battlegrounds that players can host, which are quite a bit smaller and have specific win/lose goals. They're not the same thing.

Basically, there's a world of lore, and one where lore takes a backseat. Lore is a unity against a common enemy, that's your PvE area, the mists are a place that exist outside of that to keep the PvPers happy. Exactly what things are involved in WvWvW, though, I can't comment on. To my knowledge, they haven't gone too in-depth about it yet. Could end up a total snooze fest, for all I know *shrug* not a PvPer, so it doesn't affect me. For those into that kind of thing, it's probably something worth keeping track of before making your final decision about GW2.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered something, though it's a bit fuzzy so if someone knows better feel free to correct me. The Mists area is based around Old Ascalon, which lore-wise is crawling with oogy boogies thanks to some major faux pas by the king (nerd raged and killed everyone, including his own people, and now they're all ghosts that want to play with your innards, as they did a few unfortunate characters in the book). That entire area is supposed to encompass the domain of a particular dragon, the one that was turning things into crystal. If I'm remembering correctly, that means The Mists are actually quite large, and will cover everything from Ascalon to Charr territory. So, that's certain plenty of playspace for the PvPers.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."