Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR gets 350,000 users at peak time ?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

With 215 servers, 350k concurrent users would mean that SWTOR has only about 1 600 players per server during peak time. Even if peak times aren't same for US and EU, I think it's surprisingly low.

Digging up some old information, WoW Open beta at Korea had record of 240k concurrent users on 65 servers, that's 3 700 players on one WoW server in 2005. Source for WoW numbers: http://www.aionsource.com/topic/8306-translation-aion-races-to-200k-concurrent-users/

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by spizz

Wait, EVE has one server and one world...not devided into instances.

-snip-

Wait... what? EvE, no instances?

What do think happen when you jump a gate? you get into another instance.

What do you think happen when you go on a mission? You get into an instance. ( accessable by others if they scan and warp to it, but still an instance)

What do you think happen if you just keep flying manually in one direction, let's say you fly away a space station? you get into another instance, where you can no longer see the space station, or any ships close to it. ( A big square instance of empty space )

EvE is full of instances, you just don't feel it, since others can join you in them.

Try to think of of it this way, if there was no instances, that would be the same as having 50.000 players in the same zone as you, in any game, that would be unplayable, games have to use instances, or phases to spread the load out, some use it more than others, or more importantly, better than others, but they are present in all games.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Vrika

With 215 servers, that would mean that SWTOR has only about 1 600 players per server during peak time. Even if peak times aren't same for US and EU, I think it's surprisingly low.

Digging up some old information WoW Open beta at Korea had record of 240k concurrent users on 65 servers, that's 3 700 players on one WoW server in 2005. Source for WoW numbers: http://www.aionsource.com/topic/8306-translation-aion-races-to-200k-concurrent-users/

How is that low? Just because BioWare has more servers to spread out the population more?  The only thing that matters is total numbers, not density (unless of course one has an agenda that their trying to shoe-horn evidence into).

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Numbers are dumb. Then again, ToR supports try using numbers to sensationalize the game so much I can't exactly bash this, but at the same time I can't support it. People trying to use such vague numbers just need to learn it doesn't mean anything.

I can give you my crash record of 0 times, but that doesn't mean anything if I have driven 0 times. Numbers can be used and manipulated anyway you please, and both supporters and those against the game try to use them against it.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Purutzil

Numbers are dumb. Then again, ToR supports try using numbers to sensationalize the game so much I can't exactly bash this, but at the same time I can't support it. People trying to use such vague numbers just need to learn it doesn't mean anything.

I can give you my crash record of 0 times, but that doesn't mean anything if I have driven 0 times. Numbers can be used and manipulated anyway you please, and both supporters and those against the game try to use them against it.

No, numbers aren't dumb. The uneducated public has a lot of dumb people. We have people in the USA who still think that the world is only a few thousand years old, for heaven's sake.

• metalguy23metalguy23 Member Posts: 90

Lol calm down children, it's an okay game. I paid $60 plus subbed for 3 months play a few characters have fun then Guild Wars 2 comes out then say bye bye see ya later. Bioware should have made this a B2P just like GW2 but they decided to make it pay 2 play. Very bad decision. It's a great game but its more of a single player story driven RPG with some side MMO stuff which should not require a monthly fee. I decided to pay for 3 months so I can see some stuff play some and then say okay GW2 is out. Bye Bye. Lol. They will learn sooner or later that this should have been B2P. Sorry but there's way too much stuff missing for me to sub for a long time but hey what the hell 3 months see where my different chars progress than play GW2 which is $60 and no sub = no brainer.  You live and you learn. The hard way sometimes. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

350k concurrent users?   thats a hell allot of players.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Originally posted by Dredphyre

With 215 servers, that would mean that SWTOR has only about 1 600 players per server during peak time. Even if peak times aren't same for US and EU, I think it's surprisingly low.

Digging up some old information WoW Open beta at Korea had record of 240k concurrent users on 65 servers, that's 3 700 players on one WoW server in 2005. Source for WoW numbers: http://www.aionsource.com/topic/8306-translation-aion-races-to-200k-concurrent-users/

How is that low? Just because BioWare has more servers to spread out the population more?  The only thing that matters is total numbers, not density (unless of course one has an agenda that their trying to shoe-horn evidence into).

Number of players on your server matters when you're LFG. If the peak population is too low, then it'll become harder to find groups for less common activities, and the server will feel really empty during off-hours.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Number of players on your server matters when you're LFG. If the peak population is too low, then it'll become harder to find groups for less common activities, and the server will feel really empty during off-hours.

Sure, but that has no bearing on the evidence that concurrent numbers are quite good.

Swtor has more active players than WoW

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

219 servers some how = 350,000 players... then they go on to say WoW has 491 servers... guess WoW has 800k players? Think the numbers are off...

Originally posted by EVE HYPERS

Eve Stuff, Eve amazing, Eve Not Instanced, Eve one server

So you've seen 50,000 people in one spot? THey aren't spread across different "Zones". Hell I would like to know if Eve has ever had the number of people in one spot that DARKFALL had at launch... thousands. I really want a screen shot.

Oh and just to be thorough... figured it'd post this... If theres only one server and no instances... what are all these things broken down into?

http://eve-offline.net/?server=singularity

just gonna guess since thats listed as a server... Eve players have been tricked for like 10 years.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Precusor

Man fuck I don't want to defend games but you guys give me no choice lmao

That's outdated sir and china says "Ni Hao!"

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by Precusor

Man fuck I don't want to defend games but you guys give me no choice lmao

That's outdated sir and china says "Ni Hao!"

Who cares about China... they pay FAAAARRR LESS to play. If we're going to compete games it should be NA/EU vs NA/EU numbers.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

Has Swtor been realsed in china?

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Mephster

Seems the party might be over before it even started. It seems many have already jumped ship.

Article - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/

Hey everyone!  Look what the OP invented!

• Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156

Not reading through all the replys but I'll leave you all with this:    The game released 2 weeks ago.

The subs wont be hitting 10 mil any time soon, and I would go out on a limb and guess that  WoW didn't have 350,000 users by this time after it's launch.  The game is in many ways in need of improvements, If Bioware can show that they aren't incompetent and will listen to it's players and make some relatively minor changes, along with adding a steady stream of new and entertaining content, there is absolutely no way that this game will flop, I mean c'mon it's starwars! :D

J. B.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55

I think EVE is incredibly boring, and Star Wars is really fun with my friends.

See, everything is opinionated.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Can't tell if serious...

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I hit 50, looked around, dropped it.

• GweyrGweyr Member Posts: 93

That seems a bit low to me, 350,000 concurrent users at peak divided by 215 servers gives 1628 average users per server or bit over 800 per side. If the servers can only handle under 2,000 people, the Hero Engine just sucks.

Compare that to most servers being heavy, very heavy and full at peak.

When I am crafting at Fleet during peak hours, I almost always see 150 plus people there and it hard to think that 1/5 of the people are gathering in the Fleet during peak hours.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Gweyr

That seems a bit low to me, 350,000 concurrent users at peak divided by 215 servers gives 1628 average users per server or bit over 800 per side. If the servers can only handle under 2,000 people, the Hero Engine just sucks.

Compare that to most servers being heavy, very heavy and full at peak.

When I am crafting at Fleet during peak hours, I almost always see 150 plus people there and it hard to think that 1/5 of the people are gathering in the Fleet during peak hours.

To me its hardly an official number.  Its done by a research firm and they dont say how they got those numbers at all.  

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by Dreamion

I hit 50, looked around, dropped it.

I tried beta for about 10 mins, facepalmed and uninstalled.

• GweyrGweyr Member Posts: 93

I thought about it a bit more. My guild has around 50 people omline during peak. If there only 800 people online at peak, 1 out of 16 people should be in my Guild. I am sorry but I just seeing way too many strangers in SWTOR. :)

I know there are much bigger Guilds then mine playing SWTOR, are some servers have only a few guilds on them?

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Originally posted by Gweyr

I thought about it a bit more. My guild has around 50 people omline during peak. If there only 800 people online at peak, 1 out of 16 people should be in my Guild. I am sorry but I just seeing way too many strangers in SWTOR. :)

I know there are much bigger Guilds then mine playing SWTOR, are some servers have only a few guilds on them?

very well said, my guild has about the same number during prime time.

I'm playing at Port Nowhere, trooper lvl 20, i see enough strangers... the game does not feel empty at all ! 

Warzones happens all the time, its fairly easy to group up to do heroics quests and flashpoints. 

The game is very good, fun to play and it has Star Wars in it... it MUST sell like crazy and it will. 

• While those are impressive numbers indeed, let's give it a few months to see what the game's retention rate is. While "momentum is surging" right now and people are playing the game relentlessly, it's still too early to stay where the game is headed. Particularly given only a few players have even reached the max level.