Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price Drop starts now

Comments

• GweyrGweyr Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by sammyeli

Amazon and few others have dropped the price on SWTOR. You can now purchase it anywhere from 40 USD to 47 USD.

what amazon are you shopping at? I see it still listed at $60 or $150

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Purutzil:

These "price drops" are not from Bioware. They are from small mom and pop shops that sell through amazon, trying to get people to buy from them. One of these "reputable retailers" is sellin the game for 50 but selling time cards at twice the price.

You can take of your tin foil hat. This wasn't a pump and dump move by Bioware. The retail price has remained unchanged. Thes second rate retailers are selling the game at cost.

Second, Bioware is not abandoning this game. It's highly successful. They kept their entire dev staff workin on it. Don't worry, as much as you are praying for the game to fail, it's not goof anywhere and Bioware certainly isn't abandoning it.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

Originally posted by voltt

I doubt youll see this lower then 49.99 for the first  year with an option of F2P never. 

Your kidding right? He just pointed out its already being sold for between $40 dollars and 47 and gave you proof. keep drinking the fanboy kool-aid though, anything that floats your boat! 

This game is gonna be free to play In 6 months or so!

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Again xion, those people selling it that cheap are third rate sellers. The eBay person had only 13 copies. They all have very limited supply.

The amazon guy was selling 2 month timecards for $60. He's obviously trying to get people to his shop and then rip them off for the timecards.

These people are not major retailers. They are selling stuff on eBay and amazon at cost to drive business to their shop.

The actual retail price of the game is unchanged.

Oh and I'd love to take bets on your F2P
    Prediction. Let me know how wrong you were in six months.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Originally posted by dubyahite

Sooo some guy is selling it on eBay for $40 and that means the price has dropped?

False. The retail price is the same.

If you like buying pc games second hand off eBay then go nuts, nothing wrong with that.

And I'll admit to misunderstanding the wording of the OP. I see that he meant a price range.

This doesn't change the fact that he claimed Amazon dropped the price. They didn't. Some guy selling stuff out of his basement might have.

Dubya...its not just some guy.  Its every guy on eBay.  That's the glory of the marketplace.  Just because some people think Amazon / Walmart / Best Buy / Barnes and Nobles is retail doesn't mean it is.

Retail is the going price.  At the end of last week, the game was $45.  Now the game is $40.  It hasn't gone up on eBay.

Analogy:  Stock is sold on the market by big and small trading firms.  The smaller firm is currently selling cheaper.  Who's going to sell the stock?  Its the same stock just like the box is the same box on eBay.  There's no difference.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

You know I could easily set up a fly by night account on amazon and say I have such and such for sale cheaper then any where else and when you send me the money I send you the worng game then when you complain apologize then never send you anything keep the money close the account keep the money and laugh..."No people would never do that." Come on I can not believe you guys have not considered this could all be scam...No your all set to say oh game failing look look look...Your so happy to try and runi the games for other people with your hate, rather then having a life of your own.

Also retail does not equal= current market value. Production cost of most pc games comes out to about 10% of what you pay for it. The then sell the game in bulk to companies with different price plans depending on orders. This could be for half the msrp or for  2/3rd of it. The game can not be sold for a lower price with out the consent of the developer. Translation a real company would not sell the game for less then what is allowed by its publisher unless they are given permission

However many retailers will have a contract saying that they must sell the game at such and such until a certain point and then they are allowed to sell it as low such and such price..

Stores sell for what they are told to.

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by grunt187

But ya swtor is done, FTP within 2 months. /sarcasm off

fanboy, it's one and half months!

:D

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

UK Box sales have "plummeted" (MMORPG news words not mine).

This is a most interesting turn of events... 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Ther are 2 (Two) companies on amazon selling it under 50$, and it's about 45$. Don't exactly think the sky is falling just yet rofl.. Some of you sensationalize worse then the damn news LOL

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

The thread was made to let people know that the price drop has started. for me I am waiting around 25- 35 dollars to buy it, for some its probably a good price range right about now to buy it, how ever it turned into well they are not official sellers and fly by night sellers and so forth.

But the fact is a fact those sellers have 97-98% rating been selling for 3- 6 years no matter what type of sellers they are they have dropped the price and that means only one thing "The price drop has started". They could have easily sold it for 59.99 if they wanted right but they felt its more profitable to sell for lower. and thats that.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-PC-2011-/56279597?_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_pcategid=139973&_pcatid=2&_refkw=star+wars+the+old+republic&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5841&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Oh and also... I checked on Ebay and all of The Old Republic games I see for sale that are under retail have bids on them. That means that they set the starting price under retail and are taking bids. Anyone who has done Ebay before knows that sometimes the bids sit dorment until the last few hours when they shoot up to around retail. 

Some of you people will try anything to make people think that a game you don't like is/will fail. I really just don't understand the hatred for games. Why do you care if the game you're not playing succeeds or fails? Can someone explain it to me?

Me for example, I can tell you right now that I have zero interest in playing GW2. None, it's just not the game for me based on what I've heard... but do I want it to fail, Nope. Sure don't. Doesn't benefit me one bit for that game to fail. I wish it success and hope that it does well enough to push over developers to make better products. 

Check closely on buy it now sellers please, hell 3 sellers are selling it BIN and asking OBO

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Ok till I go to walmart, target, gamestop, or bestbuy and see the price dropped I will not take any of this to be serious. Unlike rift which you can pay 20 for on amazon or 10 buchs for at walmart. So yeah.....

Originally posted by sammyeli

Check closely on buy it now sellers please, hell 3 sellers are selling it BIN and asking OBO

http://store.origin.com/

This is the price of the game accordding to the company. Now.. .if a company wants to buy a shitload of them or gets their hands on some copies and attempts to sell them cheaper, then so be it. It happens all the time and doesn't really reflect how the game is doing. It's a hot item and people want to sell them, sometimes at a loss, just to get people to look at their other merchandise. It's the name of the game my friend. I have seem movies that just came out with sales already on them to move copies. This is nothing new. 

Sometimes selling the game cheaper because it's a hot item is a guaranteed way to get people on your site. Of course... I could be wrong and have been plenty of times in the past... just saying. 

hey is wow dying you can buy the core and all the expansions for les then 70 dollars which woul dbe 1/3 of the original value...Omg wow is dying and going f2p.....See I can make rather stupid statements to...

so please fan boys go play your games you love so much and stop trying to create havoc.

I guess thats reasonable. 

Carl Sagan-

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by voltt

I doubt youll see this lower then 49.99 for the first  year with an option of F2P never. 

This ^

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325613654&sr=8-1

Where do you see it for 45 USD?

Oh, you mean the USED copies.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• luffyownzluffyownz Member UncommonPosts: 50

amazon.co.uk has actually raised the price today from £37.70to £41.33 and they apparently seem to run out of stock..it mentions only 6 left so i dont really get your point :P

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Of course they're dropping the price already. This is a SUBSCRIPTION game! They want the $15/mo from as many people as they can! The people who were willing to pay $60 (myself included) for the game have already bought it and now they will slowly drop the price to maximize their paying customer base. It's not a sign of failure, but a sign of good marketing.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Originally posted by Astralglide

Of course they're dropping the price already. This is a SUBSCRIPTION game! They want the $15/mo from as many people as they can! The people who were willing to pay $60 (myself included) for the game have already bought it and now they will slowly drop the price to maximize their paying customer base. It's not a sign of failure, but a sign of good marketing.

Its a case of the retailer thinking the game is worth more than actual market price.  In this case, the difference is ~$20.  In one month, the price will drop another $10-15 easily.  They just topped 1 million subscribers.  However, that means over 1 / 3rd or 600,000 players cancelled their pre-order.

Players are just angry that they paid $60 for a game that's now worth much less.  They're also angry that anyone DARES to put down their game.  I saw the same when AoC launched.

Looking at MetaCritic, the game receives an 87 critic score and a 6.1 user score.  It is about 5th best rated right now.  Skyrim is #1 at most gaming sites and should be classified as Game of the Year.

[Mod Edit]

well to frank lets see what happens within this month

Carl Sagan-

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by nachofoot

Originally posted by Astralglide

Its a case of the retailer thinking the game is worth more than actual market price.  In this case, the difference is ~$20.  In one month, the price will drop another $10-15 easily.  They just topped 1 million subscribers.  However, that means over 1 / 3rd or 600,000 players cancelled their pre-order.

Players are just angry that they paid $60 for a game that's now worth much less.  They're also angry that anyone DARES to put down their game.  I saw the same when AoC launched.

Looking at MetaCritic, the game receives an 87 critic score and a 6.1 user score.  It is about 5th best rated right now.  Skyrim is #1 at most gaming sites and should be classified as Game of the Year.

[Mod Edit]

Major fail on your part. The site you referenced shows 1.68M sales thus far. I suggest you read the numbers again.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

amazom musicmoviesgames is doing another special deal. Get it while its hot. They change prices as soon as stock is gone.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325644075&sr=8-1

Carl Sagan-

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Wow that is a really early price drop.  I think I originally said a few weeks back taht I predict price will start going down after 2 months, not less than 1.  Also that it would be free to play late 2012 or early 2013.  Lets find out!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.