Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fairest Review Yet 8/10 Eurogamer.

As we know we are seeing review after review of SWTOR,some are way overblown and some are less appraising but some imo are fair enough IMO

This is one such review..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-wars-the-old-republic-review

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ognore this review was made in beta era!

use the 2 and a half hour pod cast of the britsh dude cant recall his name.he just released his padcast review(hear only)

it give a fair outlook on what swtor is and isnt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ls5L4blYM 

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

That's a very solid review..

EDIT: The first one that is.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't think the score reflects the article, although I don't think the article is bad itself. He says so many negative things. It's hard for me to read that and somehow come to the conclusion it's an 8/10 game based on what he wrote. Ah well.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Gomez757Gomez757 Member Posts: 3

The question is why does a GW2 fan/SWToR hater seems to like reviews that are mostly negative? Why oh why?

Only the Rift fanbois missing, what could they be doing? :)

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

It's a pretty decent, in-depth review, and touches on some of the issues I have with the game, as well as giving the game an 8/10, which is exactly the score I would give it.  

I definitely disagree with the reviewer's take on the storyline, however.  He minimalizes the impact of the writing on the game, and what makes it BETTER than your standard quest grind.  I find th writing and voice acting to be pretty damn good in most cases, and it has a huge positive impact on the overall feel of the game and the questing.  

But he made some good points.  I particularly liked that he, unlike many reviewers, talked about how there are alternative ways to level up in this game besides doing the same quests all the way through.  This game has a lot of content at release, and the replayability is much better than people give it credit for if you are willing to think outside the box a bit.  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by Gomez757

The question is why does a GW2 fan/SWToR hater seems to like reviews that are mostly negative? Why oh why?

Are you kidding? His review wasn't 'mostly negative". He gave it an 8/10 for christ's sake. All in all I thought it was a rather fair and sensible review.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

So now were supposed to trust reviews?

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

The question is: why the hell would you care what i think about the game? You call an 8/10 negative,i would like to know what you class as a poor review then lol.

Plus this thread was actually posted in the pub forum on this site not in the swtor forums,obviously it's been moved.I actually think it was a positive review  compared to some of the overbloated reviews we are getting.If GW2 get's an 8/10 ill be more than happy.

As someone mentioned in this thread,he actually gives it a score that does not reflect what he is saying,i would be happy if i was a fan.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"(As a friend put it, in this game Han shoots first and then loots the corpse.) "

Sad but true.  That's MMO's, though.  I do wish games would at least get away from the vendor trash concept.  From a gameplay standpoint, it doesn't do much harm in SWTOR since your companion can drop the stuff off.  But imagine Luke in the beginning of RotJ choking that Gamorrean guard, then frantically digging through it's pockets for creds.  No matter what you play, you are considered the "best of the best", yet even as a light side Jedi you have all the morals of Tin Tin from The Crow, harvesting the dead and selling their life off in a Pawn Shop for pennies on the dollar.

It's been such an MMO(and RPG) staple for so long, it often takes somebody who's thinking outside that box to point it out to you.

But anyhoo, in general I'd say this review is pretty fair.  Don't agree 100%, but it's both fair and informative, IMO.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by Precusor

So now were supposed to trust reviews?

My point as well.

Seems each and every review is a one off. Based on nothing but opinion, and compared to itself only.

If you compare it to nothing and have no criterion, than how can any review be used by anyone other than the reviewer?

By design that is what we are getting, Opinions, called reviews, and scores, that apply to THAT person only. And we can take nothing away from them other  than the reviewers opinion for themselves. We could not use it to compare to anything else.

Is it a good game? We will still not know.  No one uses any basis or criterion to deliver any score that would mean anything as compared to anything else we can go and play anymore.

Which just rewards and perpetuates the way the MMO industry goes. Publishers make a killing on box sales. And the customers just have to buy the box to see if the game is any good.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

It's a pretty well written and complete review. Someone can agree/disagree with a review but still think there is value in it. Meh, not sure why I bother trying to explain myself here. You can't say much without getting pooped on.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

After reading the comments, I'm starting to get the vibe the euro gamer has a hard-on for the number 8.

Also I saw nothing about the sound draw radius and the clunky animations :

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Precusor

[Mod Edit]

It's 8 out of 10 final score, no matter how it was reached. It's a high score for a MMO in any but MMO centric environment.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Robsolf

"(As a friend put it, in this game Han shoots first and then loots the corpse.) "

Sad but true.  That's MMO's, though.  I do wish games would at least get away from the vendor trash concept.  From a gameplay standpoint, it doesn't do much harm in SWTOR since your companion can drop the stuff off.  But imagine Luke in the beginning of RotJ choking that Gamorrean guard, then frantically digging through it's pockets for creds.  No matter what you play, you are considered the "best of the best", yet even as a light side Jedi you have all the morals of Tin Tin from The Crow, harvesting the dead and selling their life off in a Pawn Shop for pennies on the dollar.

It's been such an MMO(and RPG) staple for so long, it often takes somebody who's thinking outside that box to point it out to you.

But anyhoo, in general I'd say this review is pretty fair.  Don't agree 100%, but it's both fair and informative, IMO.

That red text is actually done in a MMO (ok, I've played it for 2 weeks but haven't stumbled upon such yet so I assume the rest of the game is the same).

EVE. There's no vendor thrash. Just to point out that it has been done and is doable, I think EVE has the most realistic market there is in MMOs. I might be wrong though.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I don't see how any mmos of late get above a 7/10 . Swtor and rift may be the exceptions. But just at an 8/10, honestly there have not been any great mmos in a  long time.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

It's weird to me that, after reading the review, SWTOR got an 8. The way it was written, showcasing many of the author's disappointments with the game, I thought it was going to have like, a 6. lol

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by Serelisk

It's weird to me that, after reading the review, SWTOR got an 8. The way it was written, showcasing many of the author's disappointments with the game, I thought it was going to have like, a 6. lol

That's because 8 just might be their favorite number. Too lazy to check though.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by moosecatlol

After reading the comments, I'm starting to get the vibe the euro gamer has a hard-on for the number 8.

Also I saw nothing about the sound draw radius and the clunky animations :

Then write your own review. [Mod Edit]

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Stay on topic please. Thanks.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Originally posted by Robsolf

That red text is actually done in a MMO (ok, I've played it for 2 weeks but haven't stumbled upon such yet so I assume the rest of the game is the same).

EVE. There's no vendor thrash. Just to point out that it has been done and is doable, I think EVE has the most realistic market there is in MMOs. I might be wrong though.

Eve. 

By the way, I've played it on and off for years, and am subbed, now.

It has that.  It's just that the vendor trash can potentially be bought by other players.  But it's quite often not, or the items are recycled into raw materials.

Kinda rolls with the illusory concept of freedom.   you DO have the freedom to try to sell whatever wherever.  But where there's no interest, which is often, you're better off scrapping an item for raw mats.  This is NOT a failure of Eve.  This is reality.  

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It reflects a lot of my feelings and thoughts about SWTOR. As usual, I must say, as longtime Eurogamer reader. As to the rating... I must say I could not rate SWTOR. It is SO difficult. I have great fun with the stories, that would be 9/10. I see GREAT issues and neglectances oin the overall game design, that would be 6/10. And the future is totally in the dark for me. Can they turn it around? Will people adapt and stay?

I just dont know. I would not have a rating. But the critique of the review seems mostly accurate to me.

Esp. this:

"Some of the content - whether it stems from MMO tradition or BioWare's tastes - is jarring. And although the game has a tidy interface and clean looks, no Star Wars universe should be this drab.

A few famous locations aside, the world-building effort has produced a procession of oversized, cut-and-paste brown wastelands and purple jungles, populated with formless monsters and dotted with cavernous, empty, symmetrical buildings. Oh the disappointment when the moon of Nar Shaddaa - purportedly a Hutt-run mix of Blade Runner and 1920s Shanghai - turns out to be a few indistinguishable blocks of grey boxes behind the neon."

Bioware just things way too much in quest tunnels. And I think the debacle with Dragon Age 2 and it's rather sterile world had put indeed the writing on the wall about this issue.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The reviewer whined a lot, that is true but 8 of 10 seems like a rather fair score (maybe it should get 8,5 or so but fine).

Most reviewers seems to dish out 10 of 10 for surprisingly many game and that is a bit suspicious to me, last time I played a game I would give a 10 was Biowares Neverwinter nights, I think I could give maybe 5 games that score in the toime from when I got my C-64 in 1984 to today... No MMO have sadly been close to a 10, they don't have that kind of polish in my book so I can't give any of them better score than max 9. :(

Good score, bad review.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

This is a good review.  If I wanted to point anyone to an article that really captures "the feel" of SW:TOR, this would be the one.  While impressed with what they were able to accomplish, one can't help but feel a sense of disappointment at everything this game fails to be.  The ONLY selling points to this game are the Star Wars and BioWare name.  Sure, the storytelling is nice, but it's not going to make MMO players out of single player RPG nuts, nor is it going to keep MMO players away from more innovative and unique titles.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Sylvarii

As we know we are seeing review after review of SWTOR,some are way overblown and some are less appraising but some imo are fair enough IMO

This is one such review..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-wars-the-old-republic-review

Iyts fun to see how the reviewer compares  it to Typically WoW features (as he says himself) without realising that most of these where around long before WoW. That certainly makes him loose some credibillity in my book.

This quote says more then enough, there have been many other AAA+ quallity MMO's that he seems to forget about. LOTRO, EQ, DAoC, AC, UO and some others where all high quallity games at release that certainly deserved the tripple A quallity standard.

BioWare has done what many thought might be impossible, and delivered the world's second ever triple-A MMO. That is a mighty achievement and a huge relief. But it may yet turn out to be too little - or rather, too much - too late. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Why does he loose cred ??  is it not tight anymore , ohh wait  LOSE , and  I would give the game close to an 8 myself and im prtty picky, yes thteres a lot of things that need to be fixed , lots that needs to be done,

My biggest problem is that all the worlds have soooooooooooooo many artificial walls. I wish they would open it up more.

but in due time I think this game will be amazing, sadly even tho it may not be right, its the nature of MMO's to take awhile to get content and to be bug free

But I am having a ton of fun playing with my friends, and havnt enjoyed an MMO this much since AC.