Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Commando Player's Guide

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Making an effective character in Star Wars: The Old Republic is important, particularly in these early days. In our latest player guide, we take a look at the Republic Commando. Check out our best tips and hints for becoming a great Commando. Have other ideas? Let us know in the comments!

Star Wars: The Old Republic mirrors their classes across faction to keep PVP balance in check. The mirror class of the Mercenary is the Republic’s Commando. Like the Merc, the Commando likes to shoot things and blow them up... and he does it really, really well. In this player guide we’ll go over the two of the best skill trees and what sorts of abilities you’ll want to use out on the PVE battlefield. Our full PVP guide for the class will be coming at a later date. Maybe from YOU!

Read more of Phil Bickle's Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Commando Player's Guide.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Wow. Youre not even trying to cover up the copy paste from the mercenary guide. Bodyguard? Heat? Sigh.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Thanks for the correction.  It is the mirror class, but that doesn't excuse the error.  It's been fixed. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Thanks for the correction.  It is the mirror class, but that doesn't excuse the error.  It's been fixed. 

Thumbs up!

• RenkaidenRenkaiden Member Posts: 27

Alacrity is pointless for a Gunney Commando, IMHO. A lot of Gunney's bread and butter abilities are limited by ammo repletion, the 1.5 GCD, and the procs we get which cannot occur more than every 3 seconds (for Cell Charger) and every 6 seconds for (Curtain of Fire). It is a build that places a lot into priority rather than a standard rotation.

Many Gunnery Commandos find something else to spend those 2 points on instead of a small % bonus to Alacrity.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Do Commandos get an accuracy penalty for the cannon the same way I believe Mercs do for the offhand pistol?

I have not read or seen anything that says as a Commando I am taking an accuracy penalty for using a cannon. Our "off-hand" is filled with a generator but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Still, I have never seen anything about this in game which leads me to believe there is such a penaly in place.

I thought the off-hand for Mercs just took a damage penalty and not an accuracy penalty. Are we sure that is not just a holdover from players WoW frame of mind? The classes are supposed to mirror each other. If Mercs had an accuracy penalty and Commandos didn't that would make them kind of unbalanced.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I've been playing my main as a combat medic and I really enjoy it. I've tried being a healer in other games and they really fell short for me, but here I find it enjoyable.

However, at the early levels, being a combat medic in groups can be tough due to what I see as a very low healing output. And when you don't have a dedicated tank for threat, healing gets real bad when everyone in the group is taking damage.

I just picked up my Kolto bomb and mist, so I'll likely try them out tonight.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by Renkaiden

I have not read or seen anything that says as a Commando I am taking an accuracy penalty for using a cannon. Our "off-hand" is filled with a generator but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Still, I have never seen anything about this in game which leads me to believe there is such a penaly in place.

I thought the off-hand for Mercs just took a damage penalty and not an accuracy penalty. Are we sure that is not just a holdover from players WoW frame of mind? The classes are supposed to mirror each other. If Mercs had an accuracy penalty and Commandos didn't that would make them kind of unbalanced.

I'm actually not 100% sure on the Mercs. I'm basing this off my experience as a Marauder where my offhand saber does suffer a penalty to accuracy.

Just checked both the Merc trees and there are no talents that mention negating an accuracy penalty for your off-hand. I am starting to think they have no penalties for dual-wielding which would put them on equal footing with Commandos.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Not really, I still see playing a bodyguard.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Nope still not fixed: 

Playing a Bodyguard

Should read

Playing a Combat Medic

Also interesting pick for Combat Medic, personally I dropped "Treated Wounds Dressings" infavor of "Cell Capacitor" as Combat Medics don't take enough damge to justify damage reduction but the extra two cells means I can get my heals off sooner in tight situations.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

We just fixed it (again). Sorry!

• DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108

shame on you mike!!!! :P

funny thing is im a lvl 27 commando i kill elites and champions easily with my companion and i still dont invest any adv class points on any tree i have like 17-19 points avaible not sure, thats makes me think  the  game is rather  easy or maybe my ekip is quite good