Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 5 Things We'd Like to See for Guilds

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Exploration rewards are a must if you want to surprise players and i don't mean some lame title or achievement points that you can't spend on anything fun. 

• jaycorulesjaycorules Member Posts: 12

ID LIKE TO SEE THE GAME COME OUT.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

ArenaNet has been pretty good about giving us details about their upcoming MMO, Guild Wars 2. So far, we've learned a lot about the game's races, classes (except for the remaining mystery class),  

I cant bring myself to read any speculative articles from someone who doesnt feel its worth the effort to bother keeping up with what the dev's have already revealed. Its bad enough that so many people who post on the forums cant be bothered to do any research on the game and yet feel they are in a position to speculate without information. Now we have the mmorpg.com staff engaging in the same behaviour? This is pathetic and a gross display of a lack of any professional credibility, not just on the part of the author, but on the editorial staff of this site as well for allowing this to be published without editing for facts.

The final class reveal was by no means obscure information as it is featured on the main page of the GW2 official site and has been there for a couple weeks now. On top of that this site has already done a couple featured articles, as this one was, on just that subject so there is no excuse for claims of ignorance. Even if the writer didnt know better, there is no way that the editorial staff that aproves these submissions could not have noticed and continue to justify there position.

I dont expect much from a site like this, but even i find this dissapointing. Thank you for continuing to lower the bar of my expectations.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Nailzzz

ArenaNet has been pretty good about giving us details about their upcoming MMO, Guild Wars 2. So far, we've learned a lot about the game's races, classes (except for the remaining mystery class),  

I cant bring myself to read any speculative articles from someone who doesnt feel its worth the effort to bother keeping up with what the dev's have already revealed. Its bad enough that so many people who post on the forums cant be bothered to do any research on the game and yet feel they are in a position to speculate without information. Now we have the mmorpg.com staff engaging in the same behaviour? This is pathetic and a gross display of a lack of any professional credibility, not just on the part of the author, but on the editorial staff of this site as well for allowing this to be published without editing for facts.

The final class reveal was by no means obscure information as it is featured on the main page of the GW2 official site and has been there for a couple weeks now. On top of that this site has already done a couple featured articles, as this one was, on just that subject so there is no excuse for claims of ignorance. Even if the writer didnt know better, there is no way that the editorial staff that aproves these submissions could not have noticed and continue to justify there position.

I dont expect much from a site like this, but even i find this dissapointing. Thank you for continuing to lower the bar of my expectations.

Agreed..

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Is it possible that they article was actually written a while ago, but they held off on posting it, for the sake of spacing their gw2 fluff pieces out a bit?  I mean, that is a pretty big oversight.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Nailzzz

At least they fixed the oversight. But I guess not quickly enough. :P

• sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53

Hey all, the article was written and edited before the Mesmer reveal, and was just published today. It has since been revised. Sorry for any confusion!

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

This is a bit off topic, but somewhat on topic (if that makes any sense lol). I'd kind of like to see an alternate advancement system early on as well, or some other means of experience aside from just one bar going up. I think one of the top things on the list that keeps players around the most is the feeling achievement even after level cap or on the side from experience. The more ways there are to "upgrade" your character, the better! And no, I'm not just talking about who can get the best gear the fastest lol, more so, who spends their time going from one end of the game to the other just to improve more.

Isaiah 41:10
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

GvG in Guild Wars 1 is among the best PVP ive enjoyed. I loved it. But I do understand why Arenanet wants to go in a different direction. It was not so much a problem to gather 8 people for a team in my experience(if needed you can invite a number of guests from other guilds to complete your team), but that when you had more then 8 ppl that want to play GvG, some are left out. Few guilds could fill 2 teams on regular basis.

WvWvW will provide different goals for guilds where the exact teamsize is less important, which I think is a good direction to take.

I just hope that for the normal PVP maps, they will have an observe mode again. I also wonder how you will need to register teams for this mode to compete in a tournament, because its not based on guilds anymore. Random pugs can be fun, but not really interesting for organised tournaments imo.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by sominator

Hey all, the article was written and edited before the Mesmer reveal, and was just published today. It has since been revised. Sorry for any confusion!

okidoki, ill change my scathing post, but don't let that happen again!

• mmozombiemmozombie Member Posts: 15

Ya know there was acually a time when i cared about this game, then they took too damn long to release it, and then ToR came out... whats a guild wars!?

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

This is really sad...  Ummm, there is no GvG...

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I personally think the Mist will be way better than any GvG.

I always though guilds had too much power in open world mmo anyway. I don't want a ticket from them to participate in large scale pvp, thank guys. And i never really liked politic and trash talking either, its not my cup of tea. I'll rather have the blades and spells talk. No offense guys. I always though it was the messy part of open world pvp games. Not that i have anything against politics, i think its great, but definitely had too much power in our open world mmo, wasn't very healthy.

And i really don't think it will take much from your usual guild vs guild circus, you'll still have it all, just against other servers big guilds. I'm pretty sure you'll spot their tag in the Mist, you'll still need to prove your worth too, i don't think your little habits will be changed by much guys. Fight for your territory with a good organization will still be there more than ever i'm sure ;p

But for all those that are not much into your Guild stuff i hope it will be a great improvement.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

In the earliest articles about the game they said that the main PvP will be Guild Vs Guild, while they would have a larger and more open PvP that was more casual (now known as the Mists).

My guess is that this still is the truth, ANET just havn't said much about the PvP yet, probably because PvP really is the last thing you complete with a MMO and something that takes a lot of alfa and beta testing to be what it should be.

I can't imagine ANET not having plenty of Arenas and Guild Vs guild battles, but it also seems to me that the lack of guildhalls when the game releases will limit the guild Vs guild somewhat, even if Mike promised to patch in the GHs later.

My guess is that there will be some Guild Vs Guild from the start but the first expansion will have some focus on sieges and customizable guildhalls, unless something changd since  the last 12 months and they have been able to add the GHs from start of course.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by Loke666

In the earliest articles about the game they said that the main PvP will be Guild Vs Guild, while they would have a larger and more open PvP that was more casual (now known as the Mists).

My guess is that this still is the truth, ANET just havn't said much about the PvP yet, probably because PvP really is the last thing you complete with a MMO and something that takes a lot of alfa and beta testing to be what it should be.

I can't imagine ANET not having plenty of Arenas and Guild Vs guild battles, but it also seems to me that the lack of guildhalls when the game releases will limit the guild Vs guild somewhat, even if Mike promised to patch in the GHs later.

My guess is that there will be some Guild Vs Guild from the start but the first expansion will have some focus on sieges and customizable guildhalls, unless something changd since  the last 12 months and they have been able to add the GHs from start of course.

Sorry Loki but this is completely false.  There are countless articles and interviews since the early announcement of GW2, that have stated that GvG is scrapped.  Someone already posted a link above talking about it.  There is no GvG.  You now have 5v5 pvp that will be teams, that more oftent than not will be a part of guilds.  Also, Guilds will scrap it out in the Mists.  But the old GW1 format of GvG is dead. 

• velorx95velorx95 Member Posts: 1

I would like to see more focus on pve. Im only going to play if they put some raid content out there

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

"In order to make Guild Wars 2 truly GUILD oriented" <--- that leads me to believe Ford and others associate the name of the game with player guilds, which it isn't. It refers to the history and lore of the game, it has nothing to do with player run guilds or that they used to compete.

And they still can compete. The article has already been quoted, but an important line is missing where Flannum pointed out how difficult it was to get a specific amount of guildees online all at the same time to coordinate a battle. It's far more practicle to simply allow people to coordinate their own battles as they see fit. 

If you want GvG, you get your guild together and to hop in and you fight as a guild.  Short of desperately needing to beat up a specific guild, I fail to see the issue, and if you and another guild really want to kick each other's asses, there's nothing stopping you from calling them out. Problem solved.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I would like two things with regard to guild chat and visibility. I would like to be able to go by Leodious in all guild correspondence if and when I choose to, so that everyone in the guild would only have to remember the one name, and not the names of scores and scores of alts that I intend to make. Of course, when I want, I want to be able to quickly switch the name of the alt I am on, for a variety of reasons, but roleplaying and group-building chief among them.

Second, I want to be able to hide from my guild altogether if I choose. I sometimes have characters I want to play without have to associate with the people I typically do while playing. I sometimes like to just get on and goof around without dealing with other people. GW2 is a great avenue for that because I can go and do events and cooperate and do whatever I want, but I never have to talk to any of those people. If my guild mates or friends will know whenever I log on, they will know the name of the character I like to "hide" with.

Otherwise, from what I little we know about guilds in Guild Wars 2, they will be much more robust and have more interesting features than other games.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Leodious, judging from what exists in GW1 and what they've said about guilds in GW2, I think you'll be able to accomplish those things. I'm not totally sure about the name thing, but in GW1 the guild roster always displayed the name of your "main", so I would expect at least similar functionality, and I believe you only show as online to the guild your character is currently "wearing".

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

I remember seeing somewhere that Guild Halls will not be in GW2. Can someone confirm this? I'm too lazy. Almost certain it was in an interview though.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Failtrain

I remember seeing somewhere that Guild Halls will not be in GW2. Can someone confirm this? I'm too lazy. Almost certain it was in an interview though.

Not at launch.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    uh uh uh, i know what i wanted to see for gw2 :)

THE GAME RELEASED! stop hyping not released games. over and out.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AarinakAarinak Member UncommonPosts: 69

I am an avid reader at this site, and this article disappoints me. It is terribly researched and  compiled, and it furthermore shows the writer's inability to perform an internet search.

First off, the final class has been released--the mesmer. Secondly, ANet has already said Guild Halls will not be included at release. And finally Guild vs. Guild PVP modes were already said to have been foregone in GW2 in an ANet interview.

Sheesh... makes it sad as an MMORPG.com follower really. Take some more time and put out some quality articles not this stuff that is incorrect and does not bring anything exciting or new to the table.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Well, #4 is about the only one that interested me from this list. Of course, #5 is a catch-all but I expected that.

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

Um... ok, well, the article's sugestions seem awesome; I just want to play the game. :)