Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed!

2»

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by BigMango

Originally posted by InFaVilla

You should maybe try waiting for Guild Wars 2 then. It is the game many who don't like the current cookie-cutter themeparks are waiting for and hoping will change the current market. 

LMAO, that's what people have been saying on these forums for the past 5 or 6 years.

- you should wait for Vanguard: result: doom and damnation on the forums.

- then, you should wait for AOC, new combat system, dx10, etc..etc... Result: doom and damnation all over the forums.

- then you should wait for the next messiah WAR, its Mythic, the developper of DAOC, the PVP gods! Result: doom and damnation.

- then, you should wait for Aion, by the company producing Guild wars and Lineage 2. Result: doom on the forums.

- then, you should wait for the next messiah Darkfall, its a sanbox, it's Ultima Online!, in developpment for 7-8 years! Result: doom and damnation.

- then, DF sucks, but Mortal Online is comming out! These guys know how to do it, look at the videos!!! Result: Facepalm.

- then, SWTOR will be the answer to our prayers!!!! Result: look at the forums - its the same as it has always been with every game.

- now: you should wait for Guild Wars 2!!!! This time it will be different! Yea, sure, as it always was, people will be complaining the same.

No, SWTOR is a very nice and polished game. I am playing it now (not next year), for what it is and not for what it is not. I am done with the waiting for the next messiah that will make everyone happy - it does not exist.

And if EA-Bioware can't do it with their 80-150m $ investment they pumped into this game, after what we have seen these past years, nobody can.

I hope GW2 will be great too and I will certainly be getting it. But I am not waiting for anything. I am playing today, now.

Actually the company the produced Guild Wars did not produce Aion.  Also BW/EA squandered all that money with VO.  One does not need a VO for every god damn convo, I see it a complete waste of resources which is evident in various aspects of the game.  Crafting, end-game gear (PvP being the best source even for PvE), horrendous UI, lackluster guild options, many more but thats to name a few aspects of the game that need serious revamps.

VO are nice for the story line and VO focused FP, but they went way overboard with every lil convo having one.

I', betting many companies are just flaberghasted in how much BW/EA squandered away.

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by nikoliath

no your interpretation is flawed. I'm not saying all mmorpgs are good, I'm saying complaining about one game playing like another is silly.

That is true, but complaining that all (or almost all) playing like eachother isn'y silly at all.

Game genres need some diversity or they will lose many potential players.

In single player ROGs some people like Mass effect 2 while others like Skyrim and there are enough choice so that the genre can attract very different people (even if it is less diverse now than it was 10 years ago).

In MMO almost all games play the same and that isn't good. Some games will however always be very similar and there is no problem with that as long as other differs.

OP isnt comparing TOR btw, but let me continue this talk.

i see no problem in a game playing like another, i personally think WoW is a good game, it is what it is and it is good at it. TOR according a lot of players is also very good at what it is. but the game did advertise its pleathorta of 'choices' (maybe they didnt say that those choices would not have consequences). it seems that the game has delivered less than it hyped, which will result in dissapointed.

talking about themepark vs. sandbox (what many consider the major rift in style). just because a game is a themepark does not mean it needs to be linear. WoW (vanilla) was a good example of this, you could level 2 same faction toons w/o doing the same quests AT ALL. when a game such as TOR which was made using 80+mill yet we all follow the same stages as if we were in a Mario brothers game is a design flaw! A lot of MMO players are looking for a 2nd world, a world vastly different than their own, a world where they can go where ever they want, not be set in stages.

^ just my opinion though.

btw most sandbox gamers think it's all about FFA PvP... that's not remotely close to what a sandbox should be. a sandbox does not need full loot PvP or ALL TIME FFA pvp. sandbox games should be as non linear as the real world. but hey lol, we live in the ultimate sci-fi sandbox

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by trash656

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed.

when i look up themepark nowhere do i read shallow, copycat, with decent story and good voice overs.. but it thats what themepark means.. then ok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

Read, learn, educate...

has nothing to do with my comment.. try again

[mod edit]

guess I frogpt why I have stopped getting caght up in these discussions.. its honestly not even worth it anymore

If you don't like the game, why is it ever worth it?  Why do people spend hours on end raging over a game they say they don't like and (say) they won't play.   

why do I have to explain why I play this game over and over and over.. I'm an MMO addict who loves stars wars I'm tired with rift and have no niterest in playing WoW and right now there is nothing better to play.. But I just keep hearing the same garbage spewed on these forums day after day saying this is going to be the next big thing.. and sorry it is not. Its a decent game that will cater to casual players who will stop playing once they play through a couple story lines.

Well apparently people disagree with you or you wouldn't have to explain "over and over".. nobody cares if you're an MMO "addict" if you have a problem and don't enjoy the game, move on..  find yourself something else,  you aren't changing anyones mind about this game.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Dissawhated? You bought an EA game and you're disappointed... really?

That's like complaining about pvp on a pvp server.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

when i look up themepark nowhere do i read shallow, copycat, with decent story and good voice overs.. but it thats what themepark means.. then ok

Read, learn, educate...

[mod edit]

guess I frogpt why I have stopped getting caght up in these discussions.. its honestly not even worth it anymore

If you don't like the game, why is it ever worth it?  Why do people spend hours on end raging over a game they say they don't like and (say) they won't play.    

Because this is a gaming discussion forum and we are supposed to discuss games? And raging is your construct, I dont see any raging here. Sounds more like a hyberbole from you fanboys who cant tolerate any criticism towards "their" game.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by vesavius

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed. You should look into Sandbox MMO's instead.

You seem to have been fooled into thinking that themepark's are by definition linear, limited, and dictatorial .?...

They arn't. Only bad ones are.

SWTOR isn't linear or limited. Want to argue about that?.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Yamota

Read, learn, educate...

[mod edit]

Because this is a gaming discussion forum and we are supposed to discuss games? And raging is your construct, I dont see any raging here. Sounds more like a hyberbole from you fanboys who cant tolerate any criticism towards "their" game.

So because this is a gaming discussion forum its completely worth it to spend hours criticising games you don't really like and won't ever play.    I see so many of  "you haters" scouring forums and "reviews" all over the internet to find any small piece of evidence, no matter how small and pointless, to justify -- what -- the "discussion" that your opinion is right.   

Sorry but I don't care what anyone says, other than BioWare and myself when it comes to games.  Not much of a discussion when the answer is simply, "I don't even know why I bother."  Nobody does... its pointless.. and gets you nowhere... you as well Yamota, won't be changing anyones mind.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by BigMango

I hope GW2 will be great too and I will certainly be getting it. But I am not waiting for anything. I am playing today, now.

That's pretty much it. The whole post really.

I I highly suspect that when GW2 comes out, and it will be polished and fun, etc, it will suddenly have all these detractors because it wasn't what they wanted. Or, more to the point, it was what they wanted but not quite as they imagined it would be.

And when they start releasing more content players will start yelling that it was a rip off because that content was "supposed to be in the game" and that they were being nickel and dimed on content.

There's just too much pressure on GW2 now. At least from a certain sector of player.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Sorry but I don't care what anyone says, other than BioWare and myself when it comes to games.  Not much of a discussion when the answer is simply, "I don't even know why I bother."  Nobody does... its pointless.. and gets you nowhere... you as well Yamota, won't be changing anyones mind.  

Yamota won't be changing anyones mind but also isn't even a credible source for negativity when after weeks of trashing SWTOR and claiming how he will never touch it, he bought it and started playing just to trash it again. It is like a vicious cycle that never ends.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Joas
    Acording to myself my expectations wasn't unreasonably high when it comes to swtor. I just thought that mmo's would evolve over time when it comes to diversion and freedom.

I am really wondering what your expectations were.

The dialogue choices have more impact than in most single player RPGs.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Shivam

Yamota won't be changing anyones mind but also isn't even a credible source for negativity when after weeks of trashing SWTOR and claiming how he will never touch it, he bought it and started playing just to trash it again. It is like a vicious cycle that never ends.

Yeah, he did the same on EVE forums while back... Lacking basic game knowledge and just bashing the game ignorantly.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Sorry to hear that OP. 

As for your closing quetsion... it seems to be that companies are often after the buck in the shortest way possible. It shows with BW - cheap, banal MMO that is a derivative of a derivative. Kicker is that it is missing some quality of life features as well as some icing on the cake (the latter is a personal thing; different for everyone). 

It's unfortunate!

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• PortizPortiz Member UncommonPosts: 62

I stopped reading at:  Why can't I play as a wooki?

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Yeah I know, your choices have absolutely no effect on your game play. 

Like last night, I was doing a VO for just another quest, first time through I clicked the top response to every answer, came out with the quest and nothing more. Second time through I roleplayed my characters attitude when I chose my responses, came out with 100 Light points, 79 companion favor points for one companion and 60 for another. 

Sure I got the exact same quest either way...but my choices DID have an impact on my gameplay. Unless of course you're one who believes your companions favor does nothing to thier success on Crew Skills, or that Light and Dark faction don't open up gear choices to you later on. If you dont believe in that stuff, then sure, just space bar and #1 it on every VO, because there is no effect from your choices in this game. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

MMSPRPG = Massively Multiplayer Single Player Role Playing Game. That's SWTOR, and I love it.

Can I play with thousands of other players, engage in PVP, trade items via the auction hours, and group up for really challenging heroics? Yes, I can.

Do I get to enjoy a cinematic experience controlling only my "party" like in console RPGS? Yes, I can.

What you give up in freedom you get back in story. The game is only dissapointing if you have ignored all of the previews for SWTOR for the last year, as the game delivers exactly as it was supposed to.

There are still issues to be worked out, content to be added, etc; but the OPs comments show they didn't follow even the design of the game fundamentally. SWTOR is not a sand box, something that has been repeated across the Intetnet for months now.

• JoasJoas Member Posts: 27

My collectin of responses

What I like:                                                                              

I love the star wars univers and they did a good job in making you feel you are inside it.

The companion mechanic and crafting is really cool.

Expectations:

This game would be a nice game for me 5 years ago but with all the games I

have played my standards are unfortunaly not at level.

(Variation) pretty much cover what I expected in one word.

Let be be more specific about the choices:

I tried different classes and this brought me through a lot of the same quests and I tried different replies

but still I got the same answers back! And I almost knew that would happend because you can tell from the replies the npc

gives that they made them cover (almost) every choice like an universal answer!

Another thing is that like real live choices the outcome is not always known and that would

have been nice to see instead of always pressing 111111 just because you want as many points

to unlock something.

I HAVE been following the development and what I heard is not what I see.

I am not crying or hating but just wishing to be heard so our future games can improve. ;-)

There was some quality responses who shared my frustration and one in particular that pointed out something about super mario..... I like that one and coulden't have put it better myself! thanks :-P

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by vesavius

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed. You should look into Sandbox MMO's instead.

You seem to have been fooled into thinking that themepark's are by definition linear, limited, and dictatorial .?...

They arn't. Only bad ones are.

SWTOR isn't linear or limited. Want to argue about that?.

You have fraps or an ingame recording program?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by DarnRight

Most, and I do mean MOST, people are enjoying SW:TOR. There's a small, and very vocal group, who for whatever reason, have to try and bring it down. There is also a group who has legit gripes and are trying to promote possitive discussions around how to improve a game which is two weeks old. Yet a blast to play even with the bugs. Most of which are minor but for a couple.

The trolls don't matter anyway. Soon they'll be back to playing WoW or Rift or wishing SWG was still around.

Good riddence.

LOL riiight but if you wish to believe people like this "darnright" person, the smallest most insignificant group are the fanboi group, soon they will be looking at GW2 wishing their game could come anywhere close to GW2 gameplay while the rest of us are enjoying ourselves playing the game that's actually next gen, innovative, has pleanty of end game content, and lasting power beyond the first three weeks of gameplay.

not to mention they will most likely be the only subscribers left if Bioware fails to deliver content fast enough in the first six months.