Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Originally posted by Lidane

Looks like some folks are still desperately trying to hang on to XFire as a relevant tool for anything. Too funny.

As for me, I'm going to get dinner and then go right back into SWTOR, which I've played most of the day today. Of course, since I'm not using XFire or anything else to track my playtime, I guess none of it counts. image

Statistics are taken by sampling a representative sample of a population and tracking it's behaviour. xFire is a pretty fair measure of trends in the gaming community, whether you use it or not.

/logic

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    75000 is the magic # with about 2 million accounts.
  • LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by star

Statistics are taken by sampling a representative sample of a population and tracking it's behaviour. xFire is a pretty fair measure of trends in the gaming community, whether you use it or not.

You might want to refresh your study of statistics. XFire is the classic self-selected survey because it ONLY measures the time played by people who install and use their software.

Try again.

Also, my dinner is ready, then it's back to playing my Smuggler. None of which will be measured by XFire, of course, so it won't be counted in the biased sample that the software relies on.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by DarLorkar

Ya i know:) i was just wanting to make sure you were aware that you had said it, multiple time.

X-fire shows trends, X-fire users ARE part of the whole games user base.  True.

There fore x-fire can and does show trends in the whole games user base:)  False.  What percentage of the total gaming population uses X-fire?  Based on your logic, only .25% of the total gaming population uses X-fire and that would dictate the trends for the other 99.75%.  Only time this would be correct is if major sampling methods were used to reduce extraneous sampling variables.  Again, if you would have taken a statistics course you would have learned this.

The rest is just how accurate it is, most likely, not very, if used alone and you do not take other things into account that we have.

Heh i was pretty sure you would say false there:)

Honest much? So what is false about either of these things?

X-fire shows trends.

X-fire people that play a game are part of the whole population of that game?

Like i said, you are syaing false to  what is true, and arguing exactly what i said was the remaining thing to argue. The accuracy of said trends which i said would be not much if you just use x-fire.

Blue:  Your fantasy is not reality.

Originally posted by star

Originally posted by Lidane

Looks like some folks are still desperately trying to hang on to XFire as a relevant tool for anything. Too funny.

As for me, I'm going to get dinner and then go right back into SWTOR, which I've played most of the day today. Of course, since I'm not using XFire or anything else to track my playtime, I guess none of it counts. image

/logic

Blue:  That is true when measuring within the X-fire community.  That is completely false when trying to apply it outside the X-fire community.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by Vato26

Ya i know:) i was just wanting to make sure you were aware that you had said it, multiple time.

There fore x-fire can and does show trends in the whole games user base:)  False.  What percentage of the total gaming population uses X-fire?  Based on your logic, only .25% of the total gaming population uses X-fire and that would dictate the trends for the other 99.75%.  Only time this would be correct is if major sampling methods were used to reduce extraneous sampling variables.  Again, if you would have taken a statistics course you would have learned this.

The rest is just how accurate it is, most likely, not very, if used alone and you do not take other things into account that we have.

X-fire shows trends.

Like i said, you are syaing false to  what is true, and arguing exactly what i said was the remaining thing to argue. The accuracy of said trends which i said would be not much if you just use x-fire.

Guess if you put it that way, oh wait, you just did the ol side step again.

But i do like the blue color.

X-fire shows trends, and x-fire member are part of the whole games population.

Either of those false? No? ok.

Then it must be the one about x-fire can show trends in the whole game?

Really? is it fantasy? how?

We will even go with your numbers, if x-fire is just .25% of the whole population of a game.  And you see a trend in that .25%, (which i believe you agreed that you could see) .

So where does the fantasy come in?

No, that does not sound like fantasy. Sounds like denial.

Accuracy of it when compared to the rest of the population, yup, might be some problems there.

Originally posted by Vato26

X-fire shows trends.

Guess if you put it that way, oh wait, you just did the ol side step again.

But i do like the blue color.

X-fire shows trends, and x-fire member are part of the whole games population.

Either of those false? No? ok.

Really? is it fantasy? how?

We will even go with your numbers, if x-fire is just .25% of the whole population of a game.  And you see a trend in that .25%, (which i believe you agreed that you could see) .

So where does the fantasy come in?

No, that does not sound like fantasy. Sounds like denial.

Accuracy of it when compared to the rest of the population, yup, might be some problems there.

No denial here.  Just you assuming that the X-fire statistics has any validity outside of the X-fire userbase.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Imagine if you used steam to do this with. It reports the exact same kinds o numbers as xfire so it must be totally accurate and show trends and whatever right?

Well on steam SWTOR would be sitting around zero players, since you can't buy the game there.

Not the same thing you say? Why not? Both are self selected groups that show how much gaming people are doing. Tracks time played and popularity.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

New maximum of XFire uses on SWTOR since release: yesterday, 76.000 hours.

Now it's the time for us the haters to say xFire doesn't mean much lol

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I presume lots of people got it as gifts over the holidays.

..Cake..

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Here's what people just don't seem to get, the problem is even in the thread title. X-fire says nothing about what is happening outside of that community. It says nothing about the number of players joining TOR or leaving. For every five who join in the X-fire community there could be 20 people leaving the game outside of that community, or the opposite.

SWTOR being up or down on X-fire means nothing regarding it's actual population.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by sgel

I presume lots of people got it as gifts over the holidays.

I'd presume many had no time to play the last few weeks considering the time of year.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Metentso

New maximum of XFire uses on SWTOR since release: yesterday, 76.000 hours.

Now it's the time for us the haters to say xFire doesn't mean much lol

75988 on 1st Jan 2012, earlier peak was 74088 on 21st Dec 2011.

Are you in for flaming or speculating? Because if you're the latter you're not giving much for the discussion and if the earlier it's agains  MMORPG.com rules. And just FYI, discussing about games in negative way isn't always hating it's just discussing in a negative way. Same goes for positive, it's not always fanatism.

The game has now peaked past the 75k.

If we look at the last high-low the difference was 17378. If the graph goes up, it means there's definitely coming a new steady (at least for a while) level of player numbers. Should it go down, it shouldn't go below 58k to be in normal variance.

It's interesting, to say the least.

• russellb1975russellb1975 Member Posts: 50

Whats Xfire? Is it another program that runs in the background utilizing system resources while I play my game making it slower? No thanks.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Can it? Sure, a broken clock is right twice a day. Can it be relied upon to show trends correctly? Not at all.

It's like saying the Amish, God bless them, can be accurate predictors of fashon trends. I mean they wear clothes right? Unless your fashon trend is towards black and white clothes it's not going to agree.

A representative selection of an entire population doesn't come from  a distinct subset and it's never self selected.

Hey a clock that is working is right twice a day as well.. as well as at other times:P

So who knows if it is working right , broke or just working sometimes?:P

So you folks take your "

A representative selection of an entire population doesn't come from  a distinct subset and it's never self selected.

Or your unbiased scientific not self selected..

Oh wait, you do not have any:)

So i guess we will take what we have and use it, ok?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Yamota

You statistic nerds can go on and on about XFire not being relevant bla bla bla. Yet it is showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if that could have anything to do with the huge popularity of another very similar MMORPG being released in those very same two weeks. Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because XFire is completely irrelevant. Right.... image

Just because you cant prove something does not mean it is irrelevant. There is a thing called inductive reasoning and inductive probability which can be used for reasoning even though it is not a scientific method. No one is trying to do a science experiment here...

Sometimes you have to make do with the data you got. Only alternative is not to do anything at all and you nay-sayers are perfectly welcome to do just that.

I like how it shows 0 played the day before EA and goes up on release day.  Naturally, x-fire must be making that up and therefore it's useless.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by russellb1975

Whats Xfire? Is it another program that runs in the background utilizing system resources while I play my game making it slower? No thanks.

Don't take this personally, but we live Google Times.

This arguement got old years ago, but you kind of made your cool point.

P.S. If background programs make your puter go slow, you need to get to 21st century image

• imp0imp0 Member Posts: 54

bro it's 2012 everyone has like 8 gb of ram lol. xfire takin up 13 mb right now

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Ok, well, considering as how the original premise of this thread (that tor had peaked on xfire) was not even true, can we please just bury thisthread and get over it?

Didn't think so. Xfire statistics are crap. They are worse than crap. They are the crap of the crap.

Anyone who thinks they are useful has blinders on. The numbers are meaningless. Its crap. Stop this silly argument about stupid software that doesn't mean anything.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by dubyahite

Ok, well, considering as how the original premise of this thread (that tor had peaked on xfire) was not even true, can we please just bury thisthread and get over it?

Didn't think so. Xfire statistics are crap. They are worse than crap. They are the crap of the crap.

Anyone who thinks they are useful has blinders on. The numbers are meaningless. Its crap. Stop this silly argument about stupid software that doesn't mean anything.

You came, you asked, you answered..you ...stayed?

OK:P

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Personally, I'd love to see SW:TOR fail.  EA BioWare doesn't deserve success for this product.  I'd rather see Funcom, Arena.net, and Carbine Studios get the players. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    We know that you want tto see it fail as do several others. But thanks for confirming what we already knew. When you cut through the BS, that is reallly all this hating is about.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

The number to really focus on is the number of unique players not minutes played per day.  Any new game will have a much higher than normal minutes played as people are playing a lot leveling up.  Rather look at the number of players.  Looking at that statistic there has been a gradual increase in numbers with yesterday being the highest count yet at 10,843.  It has only just recently broken through 10k.  By comparison wow was around 19k.  Wow numbers seems to have been going down a bit maybe some wow players are checking out swtor?  

In any event it is clear that swtor is doing very well.  The real question will be can it continue to do well.

---
    Ethion

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Personally, I'd love to see SW:TOR fail.  EA BioWare doesn't deserve success for this product.  I'd rather see Funcom, Arena.net, and Carbine Studios get the players. 

What.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

SWTOR today has the HIGHEST Xfire played hours since launch!

Good thing Xfire stats are completely unreliable and meaningless, right?

This discussion has been closed.