Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR vs. RIFT for game of the year, and general comparison.

Comments

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Rifts is honestly the better game in my opinion.  The class system and the original world are pretty interesting. 

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

SWTOR has the Star Wars franchise, the might of Bioware AND all the huge press just before anyone votes or makes a decision behind it.

Whether RIFT is the better game or not is irrelevant against that momentum.

• MinuvasMinuvas Member Posts: 9

Got to lvl 50, completed the Storyline in SWTOR (The storyline actually was VERY engaging and pulled me in) as well as the planet quests which made me feel like I was contributing to the war effort. I found once I finished that, the idea of an open void of just PVP and Hard instances didn't pull me in.

Rift had more long-term appeal, but I can be honest and say neither of the games is able to hold my attention for more than 6 months. People are looking for the "WoW" Killer, I'm still looking for the game to make up for EQ or DAoC - maybe I'm just not one of the 11 million people that wants walmart style MMO's that package the best features, and polish up a new one.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Alders

TOR has better questing and maps.

Rift has better combat, pvp, classes, and content.

The whole 1 class with 3 trees concept needs to go away. I like the ability of swapping to a ranged dps, bard, melee dps, or tank. It's the closest thing to FFXI's subclass system i've found. Being stuck in dps or heals or tank is dull.

Dear god a level headed response I 100% agree with. This is shocking. This type of comment might actually get me to buy TOR. Not too much in agreement on the maps of TOR, but I do sort of like the size of the objects.

To reiterate on the maps. The overall size and scope are what i like. Unfortunately they're also static and lifeless with irritating borders. Why BW decided against implementing social aspect such as public quests and dynamic events is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, i have a laundry list of issues with Rift at the moment as well, but TOR takes the cake with incomplete features and old and boring class structure.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

SWTOR has wookies. rift does not. that i all

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by scotty899

SWTOR has wookies. rift does not. that i all

Correction: SWTOR has unplayable wookiees.

*grumble grumble*

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

oh boy...............................................................................................

.SWTOR vs Rift............................................... 

Even after all my 3-4 years of SWTOR fan-boi'dom, that's a hard call.. 

[1] I'm going to have to say RIFT. [+100 LS]

[2]Nah SWTOR all the way [+100 Fanboy, +43 Kira Carsen Affection]

[3]You die here! (Kill) [+100 DS]

Game of the year.. idk

MMO of the year = RIFT. It's had more time and excellent development staff. Ask again in six months. 

I'm typing this as I wait for a guildie to finish huttball so we can faceroll together as 50's, FYI :]

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

I loved Rift when I started it, but everything was so dark, I felt  like I needed a lantern, anything,  Could someone throw a brother a flashlight?

• Tr3izeTr3ize Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by Sora2810

oh boy...............................................................................................

.SWTOR vs Rift............................................... 

Even after all my 3-4 years of SWTOR fan-boi'dom, that's a hard call.. 

[1] I'm going to have to say RIFT. [+100 LS]

[2]Nah SWTOR all the way [+100 Fanboy, +43 Kira Carsen Affection]

[3]You die here! (Kill) [+100 DS]

Game of the year.. idk

MMO of the year = RIFT. It's had more time and excellent development staff. Ask again in six months. 

I'm typing this as I wait for a guildie to finish huttball so we can faceroll together as 50's, FYI :]

I agree, Rift should win it. I hope TOR does a good job with the content updates like Rift did or their succes will be very short lived.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Game of the year should go to Batman: Arkham City... I'm not a huge fan of single player games by any means, but good lord I can't put this game down and the story is just awesome as all hell and I'm not even a batman fan! It's much more fun than Skyrim.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by RizelStar

SWTOR AND BIORWARE DEFENSE FORCE UNITE!!!!!!

This bout to get real son.

I just had to post because this made me LOL... hehe thanks for that :)

I've actually not tried RIFT but might consider it.  Since I'm pretty sick of TOR's design, I likely won't take much better to RIFTS but aside from the lack of VO/Cutscenes, the production quality of RIFT does seem more appealing to me.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by DeaconX

I've actually not tried RIFT but might consider it.  Since I'm pretty sick of TOR's design, I likely won't take much better to RIFTS but aside from the lack of VO/Cutscenes, the production quality of RIFT does seem more appealing to me.

bring your flash light, you'll need it

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

lol Rift? played it till lvl 15 and canceled.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

These marvelous reviews were set in place before TOR even launched. The fix is in, be it pro sports, politics, game reviews or any other activity where a buck can be made.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by evilastro

Rift has SLIDEERRRRS! And you can play with ONE BUTTON MACROZ!

WHYYYY DIDNT IT WIN GAME OF THE YEARRRRR!

RAAAAGGEEEEE!

Seriously... gamers spoke with their wallets long ago for Rift. Nothing else needs to be said.

[Mod Edit]

I came from Everquest 2. It had appearance slots long before Rift.

SWTOR already has an appearance system, its called modding and it works very well.

Havent raged about any class in PvP. Have done very well on my Bounty Hunter, Inquisitor and Imperial Agent. Still have to try Sith Warrior out but I have seen people play them well too. Noone is unkillable.

Not sure what you are referring to about what people pulled in Rift? Asking for class balance? It was always going to be a mess with the crap soul system they had.

Your last line confuses me. You play Rift but you are saying WoW players are paying for stuff you get for free? Is Rift free to play now? I wouldnt even play Rift if it was free to play to be honest. Also I dont play WoW, havent since 3 months after vanilla launch. I tried it then went back to Everquest.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

as that is true that we can no play as the wookie, it is fun to see him charge in all geared up and kill sith on his own

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by DeaconX

bring your flash light, you'll need it

Wtf is this damn flashlight?

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I've been thinking this since early access begun, but I'd really like to see Trion's MMO know-how applied / added to Bioware's RPG know-how.

Rift is an excellent example of how to make an MMO, it just didn't do anything to make it stand out among the competition for long. SWTOR is an excellent example of how to add story to an MMO, so I think if you combined them you'd end up with something pretty amazing.

Still, it is easier for BioWare to polish up their MMO than it is for Trion to add something as integral as story to their's.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Once you finish a world in TOR, you don't want to really ever go back.

It may be big... but it's all kind of pointless if it's just part of the level grind.

Should've been able to get to max level by the end of the 3rd planet - and the rest of the game should've been 'endgame' material that the players were free to explore and figure out on their own. 

Not this silly path of 1 planet to the next every 4 levels and then you're done with everything!

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Originally posted by fadis

It may be big... but it's all kind of pointless if it's just part of the level grind.

New to mmos?

• CryrothCryroth Member UncommonPosts: 51

I played a BH , a trooper and a jedi consular and the story imo was generic crap that  going on in this game and yes I reached lvl 3x on all three of them.I though Bioware would actually make a nice unique storyline that make me impressed but I wasn't .

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

Rift was junk and SWTOR hasn't even been out long enough to be consider game of the anything.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Precusor

Originally posted by fadis

New to mmos?

Because no MMOs give incentive to go back to previous areas... riiiiiiiiiight.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

RIFT bored me after 3 months ... SWTOR after 3 weeks.

I probably need to find me a new genre ...

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I get sent back to planets for key story moments all the time.

Korriban(twice), Nar Shadaa, dromund kass, and others.

Usually really cool stuff happens when they send you back to these planets.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com