Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR vs. RIFT for game of the year, and general comparison.

Comments

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

Originally posted by Margulis

Originally posted by hayes303

Why would it get real? If you click on someones name, you can look at previous forum posts. That allows you to tell a poster's general leaning towards the subject they are posting about.

So the OP disliking this game is not a new thing, and like the other 3 billion "I hate SWTOR and the horse it rode in on, the stable the horse was put in and the earth the stable was built on threads" it probably won't elict much response after a few half hearted attempts.

Instead of using a pseudo straw man argument to try and discredit the post - perhaps you could list why you think it should be GOTY?  Maybe I missed something.

I played rift from early beat until about 2 months after launch. There was literally a path you followed from one quest hub to the next. The sliders were there, but the character customisation was minor. SWTOR seems a lot more open and a lot more polished. Rift reminded me, both graphically and enginewise, of WAR. If you thought Rift was better, bully for you.  And as stated thoughout, it was not GOTY, it was the MMO of the year. 

I'm not trying to use any pseudo straw man arguements, your posting history tells how much you dislike TOR. The 7 pages of the thread have proven me wrong, but after countless threads going on about how much this game sucks, both in comparison to other games and just on its own, I didn't think many of the SWTOR fans would bother engaging. I was wrong, congrats. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I don't mind paying a subscription to play KOTOR 3. As long as you don't delude yourselves tha tthis is a real MMO, you'll enjoy yourselves. If you start looking for all the improvements that the genre incorporated over the years, you'll find the game lacking in many aspects.

• TarwaterTarwater Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by teakbois

Vanilla WoW is in many people's eyes the peak of themepark gameplay, and proof that graphics and features arent everything.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. The game could be shit, but it is Star Wars. They have the IP which is why anyone who says it will die is a fool. Could it loss subs due to being mis treated or people who qq quit? Of course, but it is competition and good for the genre overall.

The hope is TOR does not try and do it on top of the grave of Rift. Checking the Rift server stats the hit is there, but not as major as some would have stated a month ago. Anyways watching TOR take a chunk of WoW's population and making  Blizzard piss their pants is fun to watch.

Yeah, didn't they just kill off a Star Wars MMO recently?

I guess the people who said that it would die... were wise fools?  Or... something?

• malfury1malfury1 Member Posts: 19

The biggest difference to me is that Trion actually listens. They seem to act more promptly towards issues in the game as far as game-breaking issues and balance; and this is since launch. I was surprised how quickly the responded to some boss exploits that people found for example. When a new patch comes out in Rift (major ones). They devs start threads themselves about each class and make a list of all the things they are aware of and try fixes on them immediately, and they seem to update their posts regularly (http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/mage-discussion/279055-mage-bugs-1-6-a.html).

Personally, I'd rather play a game with great active devs that know what they are doing vs. ones that takes weeks or months to respond to a handful of issues.

Does EA/BW do this as well?

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Swtor isnt only an awsome MMO as non cares a few hundred dont like it, it will be better in time, it will be the new mmo king, i just want GW to come out so that this people go away, and let the 2mill players play SWTOR wich will be 3-4mill in a year.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MargulisLet's be honest, they are both theme park clones with their specific cherry on top to the theme park sundae - SWTOR with the story and voice acting and RIFT with the rifts.  But after you take each game's gimmick away and look at the rest of the game, RIFT just seems SOOOOOOOO much higher quality.

RIFT's character creation is much better since it actually has sliders and so forth - although it suffers the same "only human type race problem" as TOR.  

The difference is, Rifts are just a single feature, "Voice-overs" on the other hand is a whole game experience.

Rift is far more generic and same-old than SWTOR.

From personal point of view:

I think the only worse character animation I have seen was LOTRO and that is already one of the worst in the industry. While RIFT may have some more customization, the character models are incredible disproportional and looks "odd"...ie. warriors got tiny heads and bulky torso. Armor is then not fitting and getting weird look.

I could not play the game at all, so disturbing it was to me.

RIFT is in my book well made "cheap generic game", SWTOR is top notch quality, the game is incredibly well polished.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Thank you for making another thread in which people can bash this game; honestly.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

What exactly is the polish you're talking about? I like SW:TOR for the story, but the game has tons of glaring bugs (thank god no game-stopping ones yet, although I get to use the /stuck command once every other day), the world feels empty, there are low quality textures everywhere in the world and especially your own avatar is low quality textured. Just because the story is captivating, doesn't mean that we get to ignore the glaring issues.

Bottom line, the storyline is very solid and quite an entertaining experience, but the rest of the world could use an "under construction" sign.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

I've played both games, and in my humble opinion, TOR is a better game in nearly every possible way.  Rift certainly does some things better based soley on having been around for longer, but TOR is so much better, so much more fun, and has so much more content than Rift did at launch.  To me, it's not even a comparison.  Rift had less bugs at launch, and that's about as far as I can go in terms of trying to find ways it was better than TOR.  

In 6 months time, I'm predicting you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone other than the most fervent Rift fans who would say that Rift is a better game.  My personal opinion is that TOR is a better game NOW in terms of fun and overall gameplay.  But Rift does have some advantages in terms of polish and overall content due to having been around much longer.  As for GOTY, I don't have an issue with anyone saying Rift should have it over TOR, simply due to the  fact that I don't think ANY MMO should get that honor after only having been out for a few weeks.  

The players I've spoke to in TOR who have left Rift said pretty much just the opposite of the OP:  That TOR is hands-down a better game and much more fun to play.  I'd agree with that, but I'm aware that people will have different opinions as far as that goes.  

Well said. I played Rift and leveled one character to level cap and was bored to death getting there. Rifts are cool for the 1st few times but after a while ::blech:: PVP is unbalanced as I expected it would be with their Soul System: nice but too hard to balance.

You don't need 6 months to find out if SWTOR is a better game - just a week will do. I've had more fun with SWTOR than any game in the last 6 years and I can see why it was chosen MMO/GOTY - Bioware deserves the honor for producing a fantastic and FUN game. The other little quirks and kinks will be ironed out later and don't really affect the game play right now ie. UI adjustment etc.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

For best MMORPG of the year, I'd go with Rift.

As per the topic and actual Game of the Year? Neither. Not by a long shot thanks to the likes of Skyrim and Call of Duty.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

lazy lazy wow clone with the worst PVP implementation ever in a mmo

vs

great single player RPG with some tacked on MMO elements

hmm.....

I'll give the nod to SWTOR actually

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

As far as MMO of the year goes, I wouldn't be able to pick Rift, I literally made it out of the tutorial and that was that, which was the case with LOTOR as well. Didn't last much longer in WOW either. I'm not saying they're bad gaes, I really wouldn't know, I just simply can't play them.

Themeparks IMO need the decently presented story elements you'll find in AOC or SWTOR. DAOC was the only real exception in this realm I've seen, as it had a different focus, PVP.

Sandbox game-play lends itself really well to an open narrative. Themepark's simply don't IMO. The rails are there regardless of the Story, you're confined to areas that are desigend for your level range and thats it, game-play consists of read and kill. With the single-player RPG story presentation both AOC and SWTOR have, those rails are actually bearable. The narrative makes the typically mundane grindyness enjoyable. That's simply the way I see it, mileages will vary.

Considering this and the fact that there really wasn't another note-worthy release in 2011 I can think of, aside from TOR, I'd have to pick TOR.

As far as game of the year goes, I'd say Shogun Total War 2. But that's based my own personal preferences.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Best "Game" for me goes to Arkahm City. Love that game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

If SWTOR was made with RIFT's engine, I think SWTOR would've been a much better game.  For all of the pretty obvious faults in TOR... I don't think Bioware suddenly forgot how to make games... though DA2 isn't helping their case!

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

GOTY is Skyrim, MMO of the year should be Rift considering the amount of effort put in to stablize the game and the amount of content being pushed out, recently i have seen patching every other day just for minor bug fixes, which shows dedication.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• PortizPortiz Member UncommonPosts: 62

Gamers expect waaaaay to much from gaming companies these day...

How could you compare the old repuplic, with a game that has been out for almost a year? Also i find it hilarious when gamers blame Bioware for not releasing a 100% polished game. Ever considered EA requesting the game to be released in 2011?

Give the game at LEAST a few months, before you bash it into the ground or compare it with older games.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Originally posted by ShakyMo

lazy lazy wow clone with the worst PVP implementation ever in a mmo

vs

great single player RPG with some tacked on MMO elements

hmm.....

I'll give the nod to SWTOR actually

i never get this pvp complaining about rift, rift offers so much more in pvp than any other recent mmorpg...

lets not get into battlegrounds, which rift got more than swtor, and about same as wow.. a god damn 8+ years mmorpg

there is pvp rift, general rifts, and so much action a pvper could want  its insane..  neither wow or stor offers any outdoor pvp, while rift offers so much, considering that max lvl zones are always full of people and when events starts its beyond full.. go to swtor and wow and check how many players you can find there.. and do exactly what when you find them.. kill them once or twice.. good stuff

i didnt pick up rift on release, yet i did around xmass.. yes after dinging 33~ lvl in swtor  i went and got my self rift.. because i wasnt gona play overpriced junk thats fun for first 50 lvls and nothing more, and even then lvling isnt any special apart cheesy story.. YES CHEESY i felt like god damn 12 year old girl  when doing my prologue ending.. that was so silly i couldnt believe it was aimed at anything else than that..

rift got so much content i cant even begin to describe, i used to play and love wow.. but everytime i quit 1-2 months after expansion.. because game was over.. it was done there was nothing , but i always knew what to do.. ding max lvl.. spend 30-60 mins doing dailies.. spend rest farming 5 mans, then heroics.. then do 1 heroic a  day, raid few hours a day, maybe trown in some bgs in.. andthat was all.. there was totally nothing you can after you get into " raid " phase of wow.. log raid.. log out

i got to max lvl in rift.. not only that i already knew things i should do.. i got whole super tour and  actuall tutorial on what to do.. and was i surprised..

5 mans.. t1 5 mans, t2 5 mans, master 5 mans , invasion events, crafting rifts, pvp rifts, raid rifts , expert rifts , raids, chronicles ( 1-2 man adventures to see raids and extra ), instant adventures , pvp, world pvp, and i havent even been to ember island which is basicaly high lvl content

yes there is so much to do , that someone who played wow for 4-5 years nonstop.. and then half year every expansion , wow have nothing on rift.. in either quality or content size, you just cant compare, and swtor is so small in that aspect you cant even compare

so yes its Rift.. and i suggest go grab yourself a trial.. first 20 lvls wont make this game a justice, and first lvls arent rift strong point, but give it a chance if you already didnt , because it def worth it..

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I gotta say I thought Rift was better, but for whatever reason people just didn't share my opinion. It was a fun game IF what you were doing was grouping up - dungeons, war zones, raid rifts. Rift waited far too long to implement server moves and a cross server LFG system. By then, people had moved on.

As far as a solo game it was trash. Just terrible trash.

SWTOR is a far better solo game, but I don't enjoy the group mechanics like I did Rift. I also don't enjoy how there is so much group content, but people are way too immersed in their single player game.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Thendil

I don't expect much from a game I can download for free on the internet, or that cost me 20 bucks. But when its the most expensive MMO to ever purchase you're darn right I expect a lot. Why is that so hard for you apologist to understand?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Rift has SLIDEERRRRS! And you can play with ONE BUTTON MACROZ!

WHYYYY DIDNT IT WIN GAME OF THE YEARRRRR!

RAAAAGGEEEEE!

Seriously... gamers spoke with their wallets long ago for Rift. Nothing else needs to be said.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by Golelorn

I don't expect much from a game I can download for free on the internet, or that cost me 20 bucks. But when its the most expensive MMO to ever purchase you're darn right I expect a lot. Why is that so hard for you apologist to understand?

+1 mate!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

TOR has better questing and maps.

Rift has better combat, pvp, classes, content, and UI.

The whole 1 class with 3 trees concept needs to go away. I like the ability of swapping to a ranged dps, bard, melee dps, or tank. It's the closest thing to FFXI's subclass system i've found. Being stuck in dps or heals or tank is dull. It's not rocket surgery.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Alders

TOR has better questing and maps.

Rift has better combat, pvp, classes, and content.

The whole 1 class with 3 trees concept needs to go away. I like the ability of swapping to a ranged dps, bard, melee dps, or tank. It's the closest thing to FFXI's subclass system i've found. Being stuck in dps or heals or tank is dull.

Dear god a level headed response I 100% agree with. This is shocking. This type of comment might actually get me to buy TOR. Not too much in agreement on the maps of TOR, but I do sort of like the size of the objects.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Golelorn

Did you buy it?

• PortizPortiz Member UncommonPosts: 62

Welcome to the future!