Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly ! Who would actually pay 15 a month for this???

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by dubyahite

I think it's worth the money, you think it's not. One of us will pay, one of us won't. What is the purpose of this discussion again?

I definitely don't understand your original post. I'm not sure what there is to understand. This is your entire OP: The game is decent as a free to play type game. But it is not an mmo its more of a single player RPG with some chat thrown in. Who is actually willing (Be honest) to pay $15 dollars a month for a game not worth one penny???So, your point is that this game is not worth one penny. That's not the case. It is worth whatever people will pay for it. If you don't think it's worth it, that's one thing. All you have to do is something you were already doing before it came out. Continue not paying for it. Your opinion of it's worth doesn't really mean much to the market at large.
    Again, it's worth whatever people will pay for it. You say it's not worth a penny, but over a million other people (more than any other mmo at launch ever) think that it is worth at least $60.
    As far as valuing a copy of this game (it's "worth") retailers sell it for at least $60, and people buy it. If the game is worth that price to it's customers (more at launch than any other mmo) then that is what it's value is.
    If you were going to sell an unopened copy of this game to someone, and your business depended on selling this game, what would you charge? Would you sell it for "not even one penny?" No. You would sell it at full retail price, because that is it's value. In this example, you don't even have to like the game, you could think it was the worst game ever, but it's worth would still be $60.Does that answer your OP?

Could not have said it better.

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by echolynfan

Somehow our modern culture has begun to equate "profit" as evil....greedy...unfair (I blame the VERY liberal teachers filling our youth with this garbage) when every company has the right to make a profit and should do what they can to not only stay in business but make money for the people who originally invested in the game.

For all I care they charge $20 per month and line their wallets and their pockets with the profits.
    I just don't buy the arguments that state they need the subs to be that high to keep servers running, or create new content, and I certainly don't buy the argument that any MMO that doesn't charge a sub can not be good.
    And, although not quite on topic, 'modern culture' has moved away from notions that profit equates greed or evil.

Originally posted by echolynfan
    Companies are in business to make money - that's it...

True enough, and don't ever forget it. Never think anything they do has any other goal then making money.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

To the OP: Evidently lots of people.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Brynn

To the OP: Evidently lots of people.

I'm enjoying the game and $15.00 a month is a bargain for fun. it doen't get much cheaper than that.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I'm fast getting the feeling when the sub numbers are released the OP is going to look very very silly . ( said in the way Grahem Chapmen said it on Monty Python ) lol .

He could always have a furture in the ministry of silly walks .

(edit) oops someones going to liken it to a dead parrot now arnt they ?

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

TOR has my sub; After getting to 50, I'm on and off. Time will heal TOR.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by ezduzit

Why dont you just admin you only played WoW in your MMO lifetime?

WoW was the 10th or so MMO I've played.. The first was UO, followed by EQ.. Both were the greatest MMO's I've ever had the privilege of playing.. Those two games were legendary in my eyes,, EQ moreso than UO, IMHO...

I don't really understand why you think I've only played WoW, lol. It's mind boggling really to the point where it's would be pointless trying to argue over.. I've played roughly I dunno, 24 or so MMO's and WOW does rank up in the top 5, but definitely not higher than UO, EQ, DAOC, and EQ2 for me personally...

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Apparently most people who got the game are sticking around....

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111223-0

Oh well, lets expand these doomsday predictions to April or something.

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I'm fast getting the feeling when the sub numbers are released the OP is going to look very very silly . ( said in the way Grahem Chapmen said it on Monty Python ) lol .

Drop in sales from the UK as reported on MMorpg.com , 3 million preorders was the goal yet only 1 million accounts currenlty and we aren't even past the first free month. Was the free month is over expect 30 to 40 percent drop from the one million people , which will leave about 400k to 500k if you are lucky. But Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it :)

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Except for one thing wrong with your math xion.

First of all, it's OVER one million. We don't know how much over one million, but for example VGchartz showed 1.68 million not counting digital.

Second, 30-40% loss (starting at exactly 1 million) is not 400-500k subs. That would be 600,000 to 700,000 left.

I'm guessing here, but I would put money on it being much higher than that after the first month.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by xion12121

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Drop in sales from the UK as reported on MMorpg.com , 3 million preorders was the goal yet only 1 million accounts currenlty and we aren't even past the first free month. Was the free month is over expect 30 to 40 percent drop from the one million people , which will leave about 400k to 500k if you are lucky. But Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it :)

Read what I just posted.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Well lets see..I would ..my family would...and my friends would pay and are paying.

Wow...I mean..waiting for Kung-Fu Panda?

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by evilastro

Apparently most people who got the game are sticking around....

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111223-0

Oh well, lets expand these doomsday predictions to April or something.

well thank god you linked to a company who loves to toot its own horn anyways and on its own page even.. But I think most said 3 months is when you would see the biggest drops because by then most will have one maybe two 50s and if the content was not coming fast then they would grow bored. 

Actually everyone has been saying that there would be a 40-50% drop after the first month, because you know, its a single player game and not worth a sub.

But I am sure this date will keep moving later and later as it gets proven wrong. Then it will be when x game comes out everyone will leave etc.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I like it, I'll play it for a while.  Its not a game I think I will be in a year from now, but for 5-6 months, I'll have a good time.  I've spent 15 bucks on a 2 hour movie which won't give me as many hours of enjoyment I will get playing SWTOR.  If you don't like the game, then obviously the 2 hour movie is the better deal.  But if you are looking at value of a dollar, something which gives nearly unlimited use within a month, is definitely a pretty good deal for entertainment purposes.

I self identify as a monkey.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by evilastro

Actually everyone has been saying that there would be a 40-50% drop after the first month, because you know, its a single player game and not worth a sub.

But I am sure this date will keep moving later and later as it gets proven wrong. Then it will be when x game comes out everyone will leave etc.

actually most people said the drop off would been in months 3-6 months not after month 1.. 3-6 months gives people chance to get to 50 with numerous characters.. no reason to really stay after getting one republic and one imperial char to 50.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

i would and will...

The game is fun, for now, when it stops being fun i'll stop paying.

Also its the best Themepark i ever played, the first with a decent quest line/story where i do feel like part of the plot.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

I have never been a supporter of this game. I'm no Bioware fan by any stretch of the imagination. I think they have made one game and just change the skins and story a little to re-release it under a different name. Their games to me have been shallow and totally on rails from point a to point b etc. I have refused to even follow the game. I am a huge Star Wars fan. I felt a Star Wars mmo was best left to SWG in the beginning. I was sort of mad when I found out this lazy a** company was going to crap on my favorite gaming genre and something I grew up with. *end of introduction*

I decided to spend a gift card I got at X-mas on it. I had nothing better to do and my wife wanted the PS3 so she could play Skyrim. I played everyone's first choice, a lightsaber wielding sith character up to around 7 or 8 and still at that point thought it was average at best. I absolutely hated the controls and the ui. But I tried a different class, this time a smuggler. I have been having so much fun playing this character and the more I understand the game, the more I like it. I wasn't sure I'd like all the talking and stuff. But that is a big part of what pulls me in. I even got used to the ui.

The stories are good and you have 8 different classes you can play through almost totally by yourself if you desire playing that way? To me it is worth it and I do plan on subbing at this point. Sub until the fun runs out. I've spent money on crappier mmos that have had less support than I've seen since I purchased tor.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by BarryManilow

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by select20

I'm loving it, I'll pay for it.

Is that what you're looking for in this thread? Not sure why you would make it. Although I'm convinced that Blizzard, in it's billions of dollars, is not above trying to come to forums like these, and hire people to just trash it's competition.

Blizzard has nothing worry about when it comes to this game.If Bioware can get the players to pay for this game then good luck to them.The people who do pay deserved to be ripped off,just goes to show how gulible some people are.

This has got to be the dumbest thread ever.  Well right after this gem of a statement.  Some people are just completely blinded by thier hatred for any other MMO that they are not currently playing.   Doesn't matter which MMO it is.  Some people will continue to troll other MMO forums becaues of fear thier own MMO will fail and lose subs.  So they come out of the woodwork like roaches to troll in hopes they are not denied thier game is the best and everything else sucks. 

Hint, stop already and go troll on your own MMO forums.    Just go ahead and play your given MMO and stop with the forum griefing.   I mean where are the Mods on these forums?

Im not playing anny MMO right now, Im playing Skyrim ( still subed to EvE, havent had time to play in about 2 months, lucky for me my toon keeps training) 

And to the OP No I would never spend anny money on SWTOR, because of two reasons. Number 1 I hate the company that owns the company who made it , starts with an E ends with an A {mod edit} 2 I dont play Clones, but people go and buy Gitar Hero also, {mod edit}

I figured out why this is also back in the 90s only a select crowed played computer games (cough smart people).. after 2000 all this started to change and the MAIN-STREAM took over the INTERNET, and every fool with a computer had to be online!.. its been downhill ever since.. true story...

{mod edit}

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

It as do to with respect for the others, and the fact that the truth isnt owned by anyone, u can have your opinion but it just that an opinion.

• SnorrenSnorren Member Posts: 5

I would never spend 15$ a month for game in this state, if it wasnt for the Star Wars theme aswell as the Bioware name behind it I doubt anyone would really, with that said it might be worth it in a few months if the devs step it up.

I really dont get how they thought they could release this game with so many big issues. 

Completely lifeless world,ability & animation lags(which should be one of the biggests prios in an mmorpg imo), lacking ui and features such as a simple turn off smart camera option, fps issues for many players, poor graphics,  and the list goes on.

For me this game is a complete letdown.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I will gladly pay. This is exactly the kind of game my friends and I have been looking for. I am not worried about longevity or doomcryers because I will play this game as long as it continues to be FUN FOR ME. Considering that this is probably the most content rich game ever produced, I am surprised how few bugs it has. Sure it has some problems, but nothing gamebreaking so far. Really amazing.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Not having any issue with the game it has as much life as any other MMO and is alot of fun. i'm paying 15 dollars and as long as theres content I will continue to do so.

One has to laugh at the hater/flame bait threads like these. 

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I'd pay it, and I am. Having a really good time in SWTOR, met some stella people, loving the stories, loving the game play, love my character.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by xion12121

The game is decent as a free to play type game. But it is not an mmo its more of a single player RPG with some chat thrown in. Who is actually willing (Be honest) to pay $15 dollars  a month for a game not worth one penny???

Honest? Im actually loving it and really enjoying the game so far. im getting into the game alot more than any other MMO/Single player game that i have played in the past - and that 15$ a month is nothing with the amount of entertainment i am getting. I am actually SAVING!! money from buying useless other single player games that last 6 hours and thats it.

Also i have paid $15 for FARRR worse products and services in the past year or two.

Besides, is $15 a whole lot of money? I see alot of people spend 100$s on a weekend night out drinking and getting smashed - fair enough thats their entertainment but yeah, its basically a good takeaway lunch for $15.

Thats how i see it - i don't see it as OMG $15 for this crap or whatever. I take it as how much entertainment and time i spend with that money in that month. If it was on a weekly basis, then it might be different.

TL:DR

Im loving it :).

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by xenoclix

Thats how i see it - i don't see it as OMG $15 for this crap or whatever. I take it as how much entertainment and time i spend with that money in that month. If it was on a weekly basis, then it might be different.

EA love people like you. Actually, most companies love people like you. The people who are happy to just throw money at them without a worry because, hey, it costs $15 to go to the cinema. When these companies finally realise that they can do this with EVERY game, not just online games, how happy will you be to throw your $15 away then? $15 a month to play Skyrim? $15 a month to play Call of Duty? $15 a month for each and every game you own, or you can't play it anymore. Will you be happy then?

Don't think it's going to happen? EA has their Origin in place, Direct2Drive just moved to Gamefly. All the pieces are shifting into place.