Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: The All Things WAR Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With Warhammer Online well-established in the MMOniverse, we felt now would be a great opportunity to talk with the team about all things WAR and what players can look forward to in the coming months. Check out our exclusive interview with Producer James Casey before heading to the comments section to add your thoughts.

What is it like working with the community? Do the players have an active voice in the game?

One of the best aspects of an online game is a great community that springs up. I love getting to meet players, engage with them in different venues, and even just passively absorb their feedback via the forums or blogs. We’ve actively taken to getting as much feedback as we can in our patch process and put more time and effort in allowing people to try and report on patches before they go out the door. We can’t please everyone but we like to know what they are thinking and more importantly, why they think that.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Warhammer Online: The All Things WAR Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Feels more like an advertisement / press release than a legit interview to be honest.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It sounds like thier plans for this title amounts to the same thing players have gotten over the last 2 and a half  years: little more than nothing.  It's pretty clear that they gave up on it about 9 months after launch.  The new MOBA appears to have confirmed that.

If only they would have made a real attempt to develop this game....

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

They're ruining Warhammer, a game I find amazing, and on top of that they seem completely oblivious of what they're doing.

Sidenote: Wrath of Heroes disgusts me, it's money they should have put into WAR. >.>

• Riker99Riker99 Member Posts: 70

I really enjoyed playing WAR near launch. The size of the player base is what made it fun and worthwhile. As the playerbase declined over time, it became less fun, leading to an exponential reduction in the playerbase as people like me stopped playing. WAR is really a game where having a big playerbase split evenly between both sides is a key part of the game being fun. Therefore, I see it as a game where the free to play model could really shine.

I'll be honest, I haven't had as much fun in PVP as I did in WAR near launch. I would really love to experience that again.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Just make it F2P already. Why so stubborn? they will get  a lot of new blood in game and much needed money for development.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Shivam

Just make it F2P already. Why so stubborn? they will get  a lot of new blood in game and much needed money for development.

Re-developing a game for the F2P model costs money and requires developers.  Bioware and EA determined almost three years ago that they were unwilling to spend any more than the bare minimum on WAR, as they pulled almost all financial support and staff from the game.

It's been in maintenance mode ever since.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

lol so its down to 1 server everyone has left to play SWTOR they can finally put fortress back in since it wont crash the server anymore with no one playing.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

The only thing I remember about this game is there was litterally 0 balance. The classes that were supposed to mirror each other did not mirror, and that's where it all started. Then chaos started getting steamrolled because of one tactic slot for bright wizards, which turned them into walking aoe death traps. I think there was only 2 out of 9 North American servers were able to deter bomb groups, and only due to their sheer number imbalance.

I might play this game if they would reinstate the tier 1 bracket cap of level 10. That way I could play in the best bracket on a free trial unlimitedly, the way that it used to be.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

EA doesnt turn games F2P, they grind cash out of it as long as they can, then when its not making new gold plated humvees to the executives every month they put the game on lifesupport, cutting down the budget to bare minimum and start using the game as training ground to trainee-level developers (UO, WAR)...after the game stops "standing on its own" they just shut it down (earth and beyond, tso).

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

What I remember from that game was I played a swordmaster class, but when i used a shield my damage output was higher, i had more survivability and i had better skills. Later the swodmaster was named "shieldmaster" by the community.  The balance was horrible, RvR zones were fail, it bugged or crashed constantly...cancelled after 1 month

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

lol I thought the thread read "All the things WRONG interview" LOL haha

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

All i can tell you people is this: from all the major mmorpg launches over this last couple of years WAR is, for me, the only one that really caught my atention and while it is now a good mmorpg it could have been the one game that had the potential to grab some of those WoW subs and even the scale in the mmorpg market.

It would have been great for this genre and for both games. I know this much: if WAR had accomplished this, maybe WoW didnt had to end up by being a dumbed down game for the masses.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Enjoyed the game until about level 30 when the overabundant CC became comical and unbearable. Wasn't even worth PvPing at that point.

They literally learned nothing from DAoC. Glad to see this was Mythic's last mistake.

Clerigo, what are you talking about? WoW was a dumbed down game for the masses in 2004. Not sure how you think WAR would have went back in time and changed history.

• xpanderxpander Member Posts: 13

its still fine game, but not worth the monthly subscription fee , because of allmost no new content. just some old stuff that was removed bfore will be re-introduced from time to time and minor tweaks here and there.

thats sad imo. cuz its still one of the best RvR games out there.

hope it goes to Freemium to bring in some more fresh meat and maybe get some money to be able to develope some new stuff.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I played bw from day one ! It started out great and I admitedly agree it was a little op!! Then mythic balanced the classes and utterly ruined the bw to the point where no one wants to play it now!! It seems to be going from one extrem to another!! Then they raised the rr cap to 90 !!!!! So all us rank 40 vetts all of a sudden found our selves lost at end game and unable to compete wiith rank 40 rr 40 against the new players who have rr 40 at just rank 20 !! That's right we returning players found our selves stuck with brocken charecters all thanx to mythic then to top it off they chuck in rr geer which just utterly removes the point of the games pve aspect!! Again mythic ruined what could have been an amazeing mmo!!! Well done retards!!! Its gone from 60 + servers to 4 2 eu and 2 us and they are practically dead!!!
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

WAR needed a large playerbase to make the RvR fun, but a large playerbase killed the engine, it was basically not fit for purpose, something Plasnetside did way better before it.

The map layout also screwed the game over, so much went wrong, 2 factions was really a dumb idea for this game too imho. The devs started out making a scenario based game & the beta testers wanted DAOC2, so the devs switched tac halfway & it basically flubbed.

There's a lot to like about WAR, but the likeable stuff was what it took from DAOC then killed with crap implimentation & mismanaged execution.

They basically gutted the game to get it working so-so & can't add much back in, the title is basically just there for the handful of die-hards willing to suffer it's glaring faults.

biggest mistake clone WoW instead of Daoc.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

"People looking forward to the new game, people eager to see how they relate, and people remembering just how fun the Warhammer Online game and universe is."

+1 for Internet Lies. the concepts in WAR were solid but too many mechanics were broken at launch (Err hello non working magic resistance & unlimited DOT stacking by one mage class) and this might have been forgiven if the devs actually acknowledged there was a problem & that they were working on it instead of locking & deleting forum threads and giving interviews lambasting the community for "whinging".

I think Games Workshop need to put this IP back on the shelf a few years and let the revolting taste of WAR fade into a different memory then maybe bring out some great titles (like good old dhadow of the horned Rat) before maybe trying a Warhammer MMO again.

Fingers crossed the WH40K MMO is not a total turd, thought I am definitely not holding my breath on  that one......

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by Isometrix

Feels more like an advertisement / press release than a legit interview to be honest.

Seems to be a trend these days. Pay to make turds sound golden, 'articles' like this a starting to become dime a dozen on mmorpg, it's pretty disgusting.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

They should have made Warhammer in DAoC-format

3 Factions, 5*times bigger area, dungeons.

Simply DaoC2 with Warhammer IP. That was what i expected of it.

yep most of ppl left to play swtor they pretty much killed themselve with their own new game.  alot of us wouldnt mind going back if it F2P same with daoc but u know EA they are all greedy.

• AntiFearAntiFear Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by iicogigen

They're ruining Warhammer, a game I find amazing, and on top of that they seem completely oblivious of what they're doing.

Sidenote: Wrath of Heroes disgusts me, it's money they should have put into WAR. >.>

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Snikz

They should have made Warhammer in DAoC-format

3 Factions, 5*times bigger area, dungeons.

Simply DaoC2 with Warhammer IP. That was what i expected of it.

Yep. Dont understand why they didnt do that.

• QostosQostos Member Posts: 2

I just started playing,--trial sub of one month--about a week ago. I had the trial loaded on my pc for about 2 years when it went "Endless Trial" and fiddled around for a while until finally giving it a go after reaching a personal dead end in WoW. I have been a fan of all things Warhammer since my teens (approx. 1988).

I'm really kind of astounded at the negativity of  the posts in this article. If you don't like this game so hard, then why are you wasting any space complaining about it? You wonder why the subsrcriptions are dying off? All of this just might be another factor in its decline.

And yet, EA doesn't care; so, why are there people who are actually still working on making this game better, and all they can get is grief? This makes absolutely no sense to me. I guess it would be more tragic if it did die off, then no one would be able to complain about it any more. I can understand disappointment, or even bitterness, having read about the sordid history of WAR...but still...really?

I really don't mean any disrespect, being that I obviously know nothing (1st post from nowhere land). I just felt like this had to be said.

• MvffinsMvffins Member Posts: 6

Played this game, was subscribed for 3-4 months.  The game is good; the pvp and pve definietly 1-up what I experienced when subscribed to WoW for 3-4 months (Not saying Warhammer Online isn't completely dif than WoW, I personally think its an improved WoW clone).  Realm vs Realm faction war can keep you pre-occupied for days, and I am a big fan of the Public Quests that have multiple stages and sometimes require help that can easily be founded by other players wandering into the area.

However, I agree EA/Mythic have been terrible at keeping Warhammer Online in the running into being one of the best subscription based game.  The most populated are atm is the free EmpireVsChaos tier 1 zone, which is prob why many suggest it become f2p.  If EA/Mythic decide to put more work into the game it could be good subscription game but hasn't happened since game was released.