Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SWTOR yet another example of companies realizing it's time to stop GANKING!!

Comments

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Ganking is just a consequence of bad game design. As simple as that and there is no need to go all psychological about it.

A game that features player-vs-player conflict should provide the rules for PvP which make everybody happy, even in "loosing." Ganking is a form of abuse and a game that enables and even encourages the players to abuse each other is simply a bad game.

Just like olympic boxing or karate are not equal to a bar-brawl or mugging even though they all involve beating people up. Psychological bullying in workplace is not equeal to an academic debate even if they both center around proving superiority. If you provide the players with the tools with which to attack each other without giving them a meaningful context and well thought-out limitations and incentives, you are guilty of bad and lazy design.

There are thousands of great PvP driven games out there. Some of them are even thousands of years old such as board games and all... It is ridiculous that mmo devs are still so stuck in their single-player story movie-wannabe paradigm that they're unable to simply COPY some of the solutions for PvP abuses which are being used in other game genres for decades.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by stragen001

Gank derives from Gang Kill, as in many players killing 1 player. 

The term you are looking for is PKer

Same source.

2. To kill another player using any means that places the played to be killed at a substantial disadvantage.

{mod edit}

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by tort0429

Ahhhh, ok my bad.  Thanks.

Don't be sorry, you were right. Some people just like (un)intentionally twist evidence, even one they provide themselves :)

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

If you can't see PVP or even ganking as content, I agree, it's going to put you off of the game.

I always see it as a problem to be solved. It's never something that "keeps me from playing the game", but game itself. An enemy player that's 10+ levels higher than me - or a group of enemy players - repeatedly killing me? I try to find a way to get myself out of it. So now, the game's not about doing quests, but trying to save myself from an overwhelming enemy force, which, to me, is more exciting than doing quests. :)

I think of it like: "OK, there's a boss mob in this map that has this huge aggro range. How do I get out of this?" :) 

So I try to time and place my res carefully, try to run away, and if not successful, try to get a group to going. Those times are more memorable to me than quests or sometimes even dungeons themselves, because each new one can turn out differently. 

By the way, funny enough, the possibility that you'll get a group to come and help is one of the main motivating factors of ganking groups. They just kill you over and over again in the hope that you'll "get your main", ask for help and a group vs group open world PVP fight will break out. :) To me, those, too, are often more memorable than the content you were doing there anyway. 

On the other hand, I don't gank at all. I even don't attack without first being attacked or without the intention of helping some player who's been attacked. Though I do like being attacked and trying to come back from it - even better if they're two players! 

Plus.... When it comes to open world PVP, it's almost a rule that you don't get the good or even epic ones without the annoying ones. :) This one time in WOW a high level paladin had me chasing through practically the whole of Kalimdor. Killed me like 3 or 4 times during that; I just set myself a goal: To pull him into a situation that'd make him die. Once. It took something like 2 hours. See, it's a story I can tell you now, a fond memory, more memorable than most boss kills in BWL I did (though not on the scale of Vael, nothing like Vael!).

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by nerovipus32

ganking was and still is when a group of players attack one lone players. pve players like to twist the meaning into it meaning any form of non consenual pvp.

Wait, you mean a level 45 player killing a level 10 player who has no chance of fighting back is not 'ganking' because it's not a group of players??? You lost me on that one.

i dunno if you would call that ganking, but would it make you cry? if not then get over it.

Nope no crying in baseball, I mean MMO's.  And nothing to get over.  Just don't understand it.  

Here it is from a PVE perspective and example.  5 players walk up to a rabbit (grey, no threat) and kill it.  They all jump up and down, yayyyy that was fun.  Next rabbit.  And do this all day.  Huh???  Don't get it.  Ganking to me is pointless unless there is some sort of challange or gain from it.    Otherwise, makes no sense to me.  Part of the excitement in MMO's is risk.  Challanges.  The idea that I can lose.  

When a higher level player or players kill me, I just don't get how that is exciting.   Now, on the other hand, if a group of me and my friends approached that same group of players and then we go at it, at least that would be a challange.

And I do hope I meet you in a game sometime, so I can GANK THE HELL OUT OF YOU!!!   Wait, wait, I didn't mean that.  :)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by Gdemami

Same source.

2. To kill another player using any means that places the played to be killed at a substantial disadvantage.

{mod edit}

You really dont know how to use the internet do you?

Now look at the definition of PKer, All the definitions of PKer refer to a high lvl player killing a low level player directly. 

Even the definition you used has 1 as "To kill another player using a group of players"

gank

verb (Online, MMORPG usage) 

1. To kill another player using a group of players 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Ahhhh, ok my bad.  Thanks.

Don't be sorry, you were right. Some people just like (un)intentionally twist evidence, even one they provide themselves :)

ganking originally meant  a gang of players attacking a single player. maybe you are new to mmo's but that is what it meant originally..it has been twisted over the years to suit the needs of cry babies who get upset when they die in a video game.

• TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93

I thought there was a treaty between the Republic and the Sith. Wouldn't non stop pvp and murdering of the weaker members of the opposite faction kind of completely go against that treaty? Maybe I missed a plot point somewhere...

ganking was and still is when a group of players attack one lone players. pve players like to twist the meaning into it meaning any form of non consenual pvp.

Wait, you mean a level 45 player killing a level 10 player who has no chance of fighting back is not 'ganking' because it's not a group of players??? You lost me on that one.

i dunno if you would call that ganking, but would it make you cry? if not then get over it.

Nope no crying in baseball, I mean MMO's.  And nothing to get over.  Just don't understand it.  

Here it is from a PVE perspective and example.  5 players walk up to a rabbit (grey, no threat) and kill it.  They all jump up and down, yayyyy that was fun.  Next rabbit.  And do this all day.  Huh???  Don't get it.  Ganking to me is pointless unless there is some sort of challange or gain from it.    Otherwise, makes no sense to me.  Part of the excitement in MMO's is risk.  Challanges.  The idea that I can lose.  

When a higher level player or players kill me, I just don't get how that is exciting.   Now, on the other hand, if a group of me and my friends approached that same group of players and then we go at it, at least that would be a challange.

And I do hope I meet you in a game sometime, so I can GANK THE HELL OUT OF YOU!!!   Wait, wait, I didn't mean that.  :)

i don't understand why people like to raid the same instance 50 times for 12 hours a day but im not going to call them bullies or say they are sociopaths. everyone enjoys a different aspect of mmo's so just acceptt it.

Originally posted by TuxedoSLY

I thought there was a treaty between the Republic and the Sith. Wouldn't non stop pvp and murdering of the weaker members of the opposite faction kind of completely go against that treaty? Maybe I missed a plot point somewhere...

you obviously didn't watch the intro video did you?

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

In my experience, ganking used to mean a group of players ganging up on another one for an easy kill through an unfair fight. Thus, when people protested about "being ganked", it implied unfairness. Then players took the term and applied it to what to them was any unfair fight - because of level difference, or a player being busy with mobs while another was attacking. Now it's pretty much used for any kill where a player doesn't ask permission before attacking. :P

As for PK... In Diablo (the original), any player who attacked and killed another player was a PK, level difference or not. Same in UO.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

I had a typical world pvp experience yesterday actually.  I'm a pvper so I didn't care when I finally did get ganked by a high lvls but the flow went like this:  I meet up with a even lvl both of us doing the same mission he is running at me I run at him and kill him.  He as they always do returns and this time gets the jump on me I kill him.  I'm finishing the mission and here comes him and a friend to kill me and of course they do.  I go back out in the world to the objectives next point and of course I see one of them and kill him before he gets me, as I do his friends runs out of the dungeon and I kill him.

At this point I know I"m in trouble downing the 2 means they will go get more and sure enough as I speeding back to the base here comes their guildies that are 12 lvls higher than me to chase me down and gank me and of course talk smack about the fact they ganked me.  I simply moved on to other stuff nothing you can do its just how pvp generally is.

i don't understand why people like to raid the same instance 50 times for 12 hours a day but im not going to call them bullies or say they are sociopaths. everyone enjoys a different aspect of mmo's so just acceptt it.

I disagree.  Even if you raid the same instance 50 times, there can always be the chance that you can lose the epic kill.  It's happen to me many times in eq2.  Depending on how good the group is, you can live or die.  That's exactly the point.  Live OR die!!  

In that case, why would you even consider calling a group of raiders bullies?  Makes no sense in that case.  And I understand everyone enjoys a different aspect of mmo's, but I can't mindlessly accept 'ganking'.   Forgive me for having an opinion on it, but I can't just accept it.  

So to your point, I would never question why people would raid the same instance 50 times, because it's fun, it's challanging, and there is a reward.  Explain to me then, how ganking falls under the same category of excitement as Raiding.  

Hey guys, lets go kill that lvl 10 over there, yeah let's get him.  3 seconds later.  he's dead.  Wow that was fun.   Lets wait till he comes back and do it again.  Interesting that these are the same people who claim PVE is boring and mindless.   I get a guest in PVE that requires me to find something, explore, kill a mob, chain to another quest, explore more, etc..etc... vs hey guys, lets go kill that lvl 10 over there. Yeah lets get him. 3 seconds later.  he's dead ..  Wow that was fun...etc..etc...

Just don't get it.  

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by TuxedoSLY

you obviously didn't watch the intro video did you?

The Republic and Empire do have a treaty.  Its not a spoiler to say they just don't make planetary attacks on major planet directly.  Its elaborated more in the game.  Treaty is just a farce to allow both sides to build up power, I think.  I haven't finished the story.  I keep getting bored around level 20 of my character story and make a new alt.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by treysmooth

I had a typical world pvp experience yesterday actually.  I'm a pvper so I didn't care when I finally did get ganked by a high lvls but the flow went like this:  I meet up with a even lvl both of us doing the same mission he is running at me I run at him and kill him.  He as they always do returns and this time gets the jump on me I kill him.  I'm finishing the mission and here comes him and a friend to kill me and of course they do.  I go back out in the world to the objectives next point and of course I see one of them and kill him before he gets me, as I do his friends runs out of the dungeon and I kill him.

At this point I know I"m in trouble downing the 2 means they will go get more and sure enough as I speeding back to the base here comes their guildies that are 12 lvls higher than me to chase me down and gank me and of course talk smack about the fact they ganked me.  I simply moved on to other stuff nothing you can do its just how pvp generally is.

This is exactly what open world PvP is. Its almost a definition! If you roll on a PvP server this is what you should expect, and in this instance was perfectly fair IMO.

What sucks ass, and what I think the OP is talking about is when you get high levels deliberately going to lower level areas with the specific purpose of killing lowbies and griefing as much as possible. These guys are just douchebags

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Yamota

Wait a minute, aren't there PvE servers where you can't be ganked? If so I really don't see your problem because it seems you have picked a PvP server, where it clearly says it is for open world PvP, and then you are complaining that people are attacking you?

So I understand that you don't like this behaviour but that is why the devs. created the PvE servers. However there are us who actually like the added risk of being killed by players, which are far more dangerous and unpredictable than AI mobs, so why would you want to stop us from having fun when there is clearly another option for you?

I don't think you understood my point.  I did pick a PVE server, my post was a resposne to all the complaints of no 'ganking' allowed, a specific portion of PVP.  

What I don't understand, is why you would have fun Ganking?  So I am not saying stop PVP, what I am saying is make it more fun by simply removing the ganking portion of it.  That's all.   

Who gives a a crap about why someone cant understand why he wants to gank. Just as you have fun picking flowers and holding hands , I like stomping faces and killing cry babies in this game.  So you weant this to remove it cause its not for you? I dont like questing and mission hubs so lets get rid of them.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

I remember playin AION for a bit.  Was really enjoying it.  Then I went into an open world area, and got killed by this player.  So I sent him a tell stating, you're good, I admit it, you win.  Can I now go and explore.  Nope.  Killed me a few times afterwards.   From that moment on, this player would follow me around and instantly kill me.  He was several levels above me.  Mr. Gank.  I could not understand why a person would enjoy this type of childish game play.

Taunting someone who obviously wants to hassle other players is obviously not the right way to go about leveling in peace. I used to do quiet the opposite, I would sit in low areas (stealthed) waiting for someone to try and PK an unsuspecting victim. Then like a super hero i would ambush in and tear them a new a-hole. Once you understand a game in whole its easy to determine where and when PKers will strike. For example, In Aion there was a low level quest that would warp you into enemy territory, then people would set up summon stone's or wtvr there called and camp without the worry of ever being able to be sent back to there map. Also there are only certain paths the PKers were able to take due to NPC Guards and such. My point in all of this is in order to truley understand the PKer, you must become the PKer! It's a wild world!

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Same source.

{mod edit}

You really dont know how to use the internet do you?

Now look at the definition of PKer, All the definitions of PKer refer to a high lvl player killing a low level player directly. 

Even the definition you used has 1 as "To kill another player using a group of players"

gank

verb (Online, MMORPG usage) 

1. To kill another player using a group of players 

pk= Player Killer

no more no less

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Originally posted by Bruise187

Wait a minute, aren't there PvE servers where you can't be ganked? If so I really don't see your problem because it seems you have picked a PvP server, where it clearly says it is for open world PvP, and then you are complaining that people are attacking you?

So I understand that you don't like this behaviour but that is why the devs. created the PvE servers. However there are us who actually like the added risk of being killed by players, which are far more dangerous and unpredictable than AI mobs, so why would you want to stop us from having fun when there is clearly another option for you?

I don't think you understood my point.  I did pick a PVE server, my post was a resposne to all the complaints of no 'ganking' allowed, a specific portion of PVP.  

What I don't understand, is why you would have fun Ganking?  So I am not saying stop PVP, what I am saying is make it more fun by simply removing the ganking portion of it.  That's all.   

Who gives a a crap about why someone cant understand why he wants to gank. Just as you have fun picking flowers and holding hands , I like stomping faces and killing cry babies in this game.  So you weant this to remove it cause its not for you? I dont like questing and mission hubs so lets get rid of them.

This is the problem with this post.

You don't like it therefore NO one should be allowed to do it.  You don't want the game developers to make games or have servers for something you don't like.  It is ALL about you.

That isn't fair for anyone that doesn't agree with you.

You would do well in politics today.

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

I would have had A LOT of fun killing you ^^

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

to OP:

personaly i think all games should have both the option to have ganking free servers (pve) and also server where you can gank if you want (pvp). that way it's totatly up to you what kind of game experience you want. forcing either pvp or pve onto people is just needlessly limiting.

This thread makes me want to gank, with the terrible communities in mmo's these days, ganking may just become my weapon of choice.

{mod edit}

no one is forcing you to roll on a pvp server either.

{mod edit}

no one is forcing you to roll on a pvp server either.

Again, I didn't roll on a pvp server.  Sigh, I give up.   Post closed.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I've been playing MMO's now since eq1.  Years and years and years.  And, the one thing I've never enjoyed is being ganked.  Who would?   I am primarily a PVE player, but I also enjoy the occasional PVP matches (in moderate doses, cuz PVP bores me very quickly.  Kill you, kill me, kill you, kill me, rinse and repeat - yawn).   

Now before you say .. "just because you don't like PVP doesn't mean everyone does replies", I know, I KNOW!!!  I am not saying PVP is bad, wrong, right, etc... it's just not for me.  But more power to those who enjoy it.  Choice in games is great.  Although it does appear that having a good PVE and PVP game together is very difficult, or so it would seem.

Now, this is not about PVE vs PVP.  No, this is simply about a specific portion of PVP - open world and ganking.  

I remember playin AION for a bit.  Was really enjoying it.  Then I went into an open world area, and got killed by this player.  So I sent him a tell stating, you're good, I admit it, you win.  Can I now go and explore.  Nope.  Killed me a few times afterwards.   From that moment on, this player would follow me around and instantly kill me.  He was several levels above me.  Mr. Gank.  I could not understand why a person would enjoy this type of childish game play.

Intersting enough, my bro in law is a psychologist, he feels that this type of behavior is very similar to the 'bully' syndrome in children.  They get no respect or love in real live, so they play games to feel strong, mean, tough and thereby .. gank and bully in games.

Needless to say, I quit the game because any game that approvess this type of game play obivously is not for me.  

Now I'm enjoying SWTOR.  Is it perfect, not even close, but having fun, for now.  I also read a lot of hate threads regarding SWTOR not having open world PVP and thereby ganking.   

Maybe, SWTOR is yet another example of gaming companies realizing that ganking needs to be removed from game play, completely.  If so, I hope more new games catch on to this because I for one, couldn't be happier about it.

Sorry gankers, but maybe, just maybe -- your days are numbered.

This is a very confusing post.  When a person rolls on a PvP server, ganking is one of the mechanics built in.  Non-consentual PvP is always going to happen.  For some people - the risk of getting ganked IS the fun.  There is that feeling like you alwyas need to watch your back...the danger of the unexpected.  

Ganking isn't going anywhere as long as there are pvp servers.