Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• PelaajaPelaaja HevonkuusiPosts: 697Member

Looks like it is closing the highest hours (74088h) done on Dec 21st.

Dec 30th number is 72777h.

The short term graph is steady as ever, but still too early to draw conclusions whether it has ultimately peaked or hasn't.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Texarkana, TXPosts: 701Member Uncommon

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

By that logic no polling mechanism would be relevant because "not everyone was answering the poll".

No it's not, your "poll" is not how many people are playing ToR but how many xfire users are playing it, if you want to provide rellevant information analysis you need to select a relevant dataset, im pretty sure you highschool math class should've covered atleast basic group and graph theory.

Xfire is far from being popular, and its user base is usually a niche to some extent mostly people who play allot of cross genere games frequently and or users who like to share with other people what they are doing ala twitter.

I can make a poll displaying the popularity of the war in iraq, i can do a propper poll by asking people from diffrent demographic and social economic and political ragnes equal to their respective ration with in a said population. Or i can go to an NRA meeting or an "Occupy WallStreet" meeting and get my polling data from there... Which one of the polls do you think will be not only more accurate but actually relevant?

I play allot of games and i've never been asked if i have a xfire account, when asked for any IRL contact info it used to be MSN/Skype/ICQ what ever and now it's mostly facebook. So no xfire is not a tool to measure any thing but what an xfire user is playing.... and considering that Xfire now has less than 100k online users during peak hours i would say it is irrelevant as it ever was.

Ok, just point us into the direction of this mythical beast you folks keep talking about.

You know the un-biased scientific poll of the whole gaming population .. oh wait, it is mythical because there is no such animal.

But x-fire is not a poll in the first place.. yet, it keeps getting compared to this mythical beast that is, well mythical.

But it does not take ME into account becuase i do not use x-fire..

Well does the Mythical.. well no since it does not exist.

Heh all this time telling us what we need, but can never have. To prove we CAN NOT use what we have because it is not this perect thing.

But we are the ones that need to go take a class:)

• Vato26Vato26 BFE, MOPosts: 3,930Member

Originally posted by DarLorkar

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

By that logic no polling mechanism would be relevant because "not everyone was answering the poll".

No it's not, your "poll" is not how many people are playing ToR but how many xfire users are playing it, if you want to provide rellevant information analysis you need to select a relevant dataset, im pretty sure you highschool math class should've covered atleast basic group and graph theory.

Xfire is far from being popular, and its user base is usually a niche to some extent mostly people who play allot of cross genere games frequently and or users who like to share with other people what they are doing ala twitter.

I can make a poll displaying the popularity of the war in iraq, i can do a propper poll by asking people from diffrent demographic and social economic and political ragnes equal to their respective ration with in a said population. Or i can go to an NRA meeting or an "Occupy WallStreet" meeting and get my polling data from there... Which one of the polls do you think will be not only more accurate but actually relevant?

I play allot of games and i've never been asked if i have a xfire account, when asked for any IRL contact info it used to be MSN/Skype/ICQ what ever and now it's mostly facebook. So no xfire is not a tool to measure any thing but what an xfire user is playing.... and considering that Xfire now has less than 100k online users during peak hours i would say it is irrelevant as it ever was.

Ok, just point us into the direction of this mythical beast you folks keep talking about.

You know the un-biased scientific poll of the whole gaming population .. oh wait, it is mythical because there is no such animal.  Because there is currently no such "animal" does not refute our position.  It's just another extraneous variable that needs to be squashed before X-fire data can be used outside of the X-fire userbase.

But x-fire is not a poll in the first place.. yet, it keeps getting compared to this mythical beast that is, well mythical.  This sensational crap is getting out of hand.  Seriously, "mythical beast"?  Go learn about statistical analysis rules before you reply again.

Heh all this time telling us what we need, but can never have. To prove we CAN NOT use what we have because it is not this perect thing.

But we are the ones that need to go take a class:)  That is true.  The people who are defending X-fire as a statistical tool to be used outside of the the X-fire userbase do need to take a class in statistics.  Because, you are all spouting stuff that goes against every statistical analysis rule.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 none of your buidnessPosts: 476Member Uncommon

You know the un-biased scientific poll of the whole gaming population .. oh wait, it is mythical because there is no such animal.

But x-fire is not a poll in the first place.. yet, it keeps getting compared to this mythical beast that is, well mythical.

The fact that there isnt a better dataset for analysis than xfire doesnt make it any more relevant, the same way is that if my only information about gun conrol comes from the NRA website doesnt not mean i can use it if i am going to write an essay on gun control laws.

Xfire data shows how many Xfire users play ToR, Xfire is not popular in many contries, it is not popular with many players, infact it's demographic is very skewed towards the early to mid teens while MMO demographics are much more ballanced age wise. Yes it has predicted that WoW was one of the most played games in the world, wow Xfire has 20mil registred users, 80-100K concurent online users on average, and WoW had around 7M players in NA,EU and OC at the time, so what?

Lets look at the top games on Xfire

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

World of Warcraft

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Call of Duty 2

Battlefield 3

Minecraft

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Multiplayer

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Now do you see how wrong wrong worng you are? You have games like CoD2, and GTA:SA on the top 10 list... now according to your tought proccess you wold say that they have allmost as many subs/player as WoW or use your brain and figure that the current comminities that support old games like GTA:SA and old games that never even sold well like CoD:2 are very xfire centric.... and thats why they are on that list, and yes if you are still thinking you can use xfire data which has games like CoD:2 allmost logging the same amount of hours as ToR and WoW and say ToR is not doing well or WoW is sinking based on that info you are either not very bright to say the least or a fanboy of i realy dont know what...

Originally posted by Vato26

You know the un-biased scientific poll of the whole gaming population .. oh wait, it is mythical because there is no such animal.  Because there is currently no such "animal" does not refute our position.  It's just another extraneous variable that needs to be squashed before X-fire data can be used outside of the X-fire userbase.

But x-fire is not a poll in the first place.. yet, it keeps getting compared to this mythical beast that is, well mythical.  This sensational crap is getting out of hand.  Seriously, "mythical beast"?  Go learn about statistical analysis rules before you reply again.

But we are the ones that need to go take a class:)  That is true.  The people who are defending X-fire as a statistical tool to be used outside of the the X-fire userbase do need to take a class in statistics.  Because, you are all spouting stuff that goes against every statistical analysis rule.

You really do not give up do you?:)

Why would i bother to go take a class about statistical analysis ? Would that produce what you keep harping about?

No.

We do not have it.

Not gonna get it.

X-fire can and does show trends. How accurate it is is a guess. But it is a whole lot more accurate than the "Mythical" ( hey i like that word) un-biased scientifice poll of the whole gaming world.. that we do not have nor will likely ever have.

So from my stand point. It seems something real you can look at and see, kinda beats what you have..

The fact that there isnt a better dataset for analysis than xfire doesnt make it any more relevant, the same way is that if my only information about gun conrol comes from the NRA website doesnt not mean i can use it if i am going to write an essay on gun control laws.

Xfire data shows how many Xfire users play ToR, Xfire is not popular in many contries, it is not popular with many players, infact it's demographic is very skewed towards the early to mid teens while MMO demographics are much more ballanced age wise. Yes it has predicted that WoW was one of the most played games in the world, wow Xfire has 20mil registred users, 80-100K concurent online users on average, and WoW had around 7M players in NA,EU and OC at the time, so what?

Lets look at the top games on Xfire

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

World of Warcraft

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Call of Duty 2

Battlefield 3

Minecraft

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Multiplayer

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Now do you see how wrong wrong worng you are? You have games like CoD2, and GTA:SA on the top 10 list... now according to your tought proccess you wold say that they have allmost as many subs/player as WoW or use your brain and figure that the current comminities that support old games like GTA:SA and old games that never even sold well like CoD:2 are very xfire centric.... and thats why they are on that list, and yes if you are still thinking you can use xfire data which has games like CoD:2 allmost logging the same amount of hours as ToR and WoW and say ToR is not doing well or WoW is sinking based on that info you are either not very bright to say the least or a fanboy of i realy dont know what...

OMG, who said we were using it to say how many sub players there are? I never did.

I said then and now, that it can show TRENDS.. You know how many players are playing and how long that goes on over time?

If it trends up or down or stays flat says nothing of the amount of subs. It will just show trends on how many people on x-fire are playing a game during that time frame.

You really do not give up do you?:)  Not when the facts are completely on my side.

Why would i bother to go take a class about statistical analysis ?  So you would learn something about statistical analysis instead of you keeping on supporting non-existant statistical procedures.  Would that produce what you keep harping about?

No.

We do not have it.  Irrelevant.

Not gonna get it.  Irrelevant.

X-fire can and does show trends within the X-fire using community. How accurate it is is a guess. But it is a whole lot more accurate than the "Mythical" ( hey i like that word) un-biased scientifice poll of the whole gaming world.. that we do not have nor will likely ever have.  Even more sensational nonsense.

So from my stand point. It seems something real you can look at and see, kinda beats what you have..  Nope.  All you are doing is proving me right on the statement that the only people who try to use X-fire to link to non-X-fire using community are only doing for their self-serving biases.

You really do not give up do you?:)  Not when the facts are completely on my side.

Why would i bother to go take a class about statistical analysis ?  So you would learn something about statistical analysis instead of you keeping on supporting non-existant statistical procedures.  Would that produce what you keep harping about?

No.

X-fire can and does show trends within the X-fire using community. How accurate it is is a guess. But it is a whole lot more accurate than the "Mythical" ( hey i like that word) un-biased scientifice poll of the whole gaming world.. that we do not have nor will likely ever have.  Even more sensational nonsense.

So from my stand point. It seems something real you can look at and see, kinda beats what you have..  Nope.  All you are doing is proving me right on the statement that the only people who try to use X-fire to link to non-X-fire using community are only doing for their self-serving biases.

Heh only thing i am proving is that x-fire shows trends:)

No.

False.  You are showing X-fire trends and trying to apply them to non-X-fire users.

No.

False.  You are showing X-fire trends and trying to apply them to non-X-fire users.

Think you said you can see trends in x-fire yes?

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member

You statistic nerds can go on and on about XFire not being relevant bla bla bla. Yet it is showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if that could have anything to do with the huge popularity of another very similar MMORPG being released in those very same two weeks. Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because XFire is completely irrelevant. Right.... image

Just because you cant prove something does not mean it is irrelevant. There is a thing called inductive reasoning and inductive probability which can be used for reasoning even though it is not a scientific method. No one is trying to do a science experiment here...

Sometimes you have to make do with the data you got. Only alternative is not to do anything at all and you nay-sayers are perfectly welcome to do just that.

• Aison2Aison2 MarburgPosts: 624Member

You statistic nerds can go on and on about XFire not being relevant bla bla bla. Yet it is showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if that could have anything to do with the huge popularity of another very similar MMORPG being released in those very same two weeks. Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because XFire is completely irrelevant. Right.... image

Just because you cant prove something does not mean it is irrelevant. There is a thing called inductive reasoning and inductive probability which can be used for reasoning even though it is not a scientific method. No one is trying to do a science experiment here...

Sometimes you have to make do with the data you got. Only alternative is not to do anything at all and you nay-sayers are perfectly welcome to do just that.

The thing is you don't know how good the representation is for the whole population.  Meaning if probability of using xfire and the probability of  playing swtor are statistically independent. It just could be that xfire users tend to be older users and more into sw lore than the current market with newer kids beeing more interested in other things for example. That would lead to a higher percent of swtor players in the xfire user subspace than in the whole gaming market. For example I know of some games where they survived in US but died out in EU and vice versa. If userbase of xfire is more focused in one area it would already screw the results as it couldn't reflect such games correctly.

Noone can prove/disprove this without the player statistics from ea. What could be interesting is taking published playerbases from other games and comparing them to xfire. If it corellates accordingly it would strenghten the claim that it is viable.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• TarwaterTarwater Los Angeles, CAPosts: 63Member

I've actually thought x-fire showed a viable survey of gamers. 

Obviously, it's not the definitive display of gaming popularity and hours.  But as a survey source?  It's excellent.

No.

You selectively read much?  Because, I have stated multiple times throughout this thread that X-fire shows trends, but only within the X-fire userbase.

• KruulKruul Houston, TXPosts: 476Member

Xfire is a joke. No one uses it anymore. Well maybe some but just asked in my guild of 50+ members and no one uses it in the guild.

<Sarcasm>

You X-fire supporters can go on and on about X-fire being relevant bla bla bla.  Yet it is only showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline of X-fire users playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it could have something to do with the holidays.  Or some people stopped using X-fire.  Or some people just not using X-fire while playing WoW.  Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because it HAS TO be something linked towards SWTOR and it HAS TO be linked with the people who don't use X-fire.

</Sarcasm>

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you think on the validity of X-fire statistics.  The facts show that they are only valid when used to describe the X-fire userbase trends.  There is absolutely no controls set in place to prevent extraneous variables that are present when trying to take these X-fire statistics and link them to the non-X-Fire using population.  No matter how much you detest and complain about it... those are facts.

And, a guess is just that... a self-serving, biased, hope-filled statement.  They have no basis in statistical analysis.

Originally posted by Aison2

The thing is you don't know how good the representation is for the whole population.  Meaning if probability of using xfire and the probability of  playing swtor are statistically independent. It just could be that xfire users tend to be older users and more into sw lore than the current market with newer kids beeing more interested in other things for example. That would lead to a higher percent of swtor players in the xfire user subspace than in the whole gaming market. For example I know of some games where they survived in US but died out in EU and vice versa. If userbase of xfire is more focused in one area it would already screw the results as it couldn't reflect such games correctly.

Noone can prove/disprove this without the player statistics from ea. What could be interesting is taking published playerbases from other games and comparing them to xfire. If it corellates accordingly it would strenghten the claim that it is viable.

Well like I said before, there is no way of proving or disapproving if XFire is showing accurate data or not because no one here knows how representative XFire gamers are to the general gaming populations. So it is up to everyone to make that judgement and I choose to make the judgement that aslong as I see anything credible saying me that XFire is some nische sub-population I choose to see the XFire data as credible.

However, as have been stated many times by me and others, we are not primarily talking about sub. numbers here but rather trends. I.e. if a portion of XFire gamers playing WoW somehow stops playing it and at the same time we see more XFire gamers playing SW:TOR I dont see why that trend would occur only in XFire and not in the general population.

Ofcourse it cannot be statistically proven but that has never been said by anyone.

• dubyahitedubyahite Lincoln, NEPosts: 2,483Member
    This just in: Xfire is still crap. More news at 11.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

You X-fire supporters can go on and on about X-fire being relevant bla bla bla.  Yet it is only showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline of X-fire users playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it could have something to do with the holidays.  Or some people stopped using X-fire.  Or some people just not using X-fire while playing WoW.  Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because it HAS TO be something linked towards SWTOR and it HAS TO be linked with the people who don't use X-fire.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you think on the validity of X-fire statistics.  The facts show that they are only valid when used to describe the X-fire userbase trends.  There is absolutely no controls set in place to prevent extraneous variables that are present when trying to take these X-fire statistics and link them to the non-X-Fire using population.  No matter how much you detest and complain about it... those are facts.

And, a guess is just that... a self-serving, biased, hope-filled statement.  They have no basis in statistical analysis.

First of all I never said it HAD TO depend on SW:TOR, just that it is a very interesting coincidence. However I believe it does and I believe it applies to the general population.

No one is claiming it has basis in your statistical analysis. And the self-serving part is completely your fabrication. I have used the XFire data to both say that SW:TOR has been immensely popular so far (number two MMORPG on XFire) as well as saying that it seems to have stagnated. It is YOU who pick and choose statements to server your agenda by labeling anyone who says anything remotely negative about the game as self serving "haters".

Besides, do you have any data showing the trend or evolution of MMORPGs? No you dont, you are just here to say no no and no without bringing anything to the table.

That is the difference between you and me, you deal in absolutes, black and white. What can I prove or disapprove where I am trying to hold a discussion based on the data we have. This is not a science forum, this is a gaming forum where people discuss whatever related to gaming.

No.

You selectively read much?  Because, I have stated multiple times throughout this thread that X-fire shows trends, but only within the X-fire userbase.

Ya i know:) i was just wanting to make sure you were aware that you had said it, multiple time.

X-fire shows trends, X-fire users ARE part of the whole games user base.

There fore x-fire can and does show trends in the whole games user base:)

The rest is just how accurate it is, most likely, not very, if used alone and you do not take other things into account that we have.

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon

Xfire is awesome and it predicts the future. If you dont use xfire you suck and you're in denial.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Robokapp

Xfire is awesome and it predicts the future. If you dont use xfire you suck and you're in denial.

Yeah, I am. The #¤%& uses system resources like there was no tomorrow and lags down my net.

Vent or in small groups Skype works best for me. 

Anyways, any up and downs during the holidays aand the first week of a game does not matter. People play a lot when a game is just released and also when everyone is free from work and school. As soon as people get back to their usual activities all games ratings go down.

• dubyahitedubyahite Lincoln, NEPosts: 2,483Member
    Alright guys, here is what we've come up with so far after 400+ posts:

Xfire is not statistically accurate.
    Xfire shows gaming trends within the xfire community.
    Xfire is not a reliable way to measure trends within the gaming community at large.
    Xfire knows that wow is popular (so does my grandma)
    There aren't a lot of sources that can show this kind of data.
    An finally, don't start an argument about bad statistics with a statistics nerd. They will never stop.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member

Originally posted by Robokapp

It's true! Xfire helped me win the powerball and cured my grammie's cancer!

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Cruis.InCruis.In BtownPosts: 16Member

um what about games that have their own voice chat? eve? sto? this is dumb.

For what does it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but loseth his soul?

This discussion has been closed.