Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by DarLorkar

You really do not give up do you?:)  Not when the facts are completely on my side.

Why would i bother to go take a class about statistical analysis ?  So you would learn something about statistical analysis instead of you keeping on supporting non-existant statistical procedures.  Would that produce what you keep harping about?

No.

We do not have it.  Irrelevant.

Not gonna get it.  Irrelevant.

X-fire can and does show trends within the X-fire using community. How accurate it is is a guess. But it is a whole lot more accurate than the "Mythical" ( hey i like that word) un-biased scientifice poll of the whole gaming world.. that we do not have nor will likely ever have.  Even more sensational nonsense.

So from my stand point. It seems something real you can look at and see, kinda beats what you have..  Nope.  All you are doing is proving me right on the statement that the only people who try to use X-fire to link to non-X-fire using community are only doing for their self-serving biases.

Heh only thing i am proving is that x-fire shows trends:)

False.  You are showing X-fire trends and trying to apply them to non-X-fire users.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by Vato26

You really do not give up do you?:)  Not when the facts are completely on my side.

Why would i bother to go take a class about statistical analysis ?  So you would learn something about statistical analysis instead of you keeping on supporting non-existant statistical procedures.  Would that produce what you keep harping about?

No.

X-fire can and does show trends within the X-fire using community. How accurate it is is a guess. But it is a whole lot more accurate than the "Mythical" ( hey i like that word) un-biased scientifice poll of the whole gaming world.. that we do not have nor will likely ever have.  Even more sensational nonsense.

So from my stand point. It seems something real you can look at and see, kinda beats what you have..  Nope.  All you are doing is proving me right on the statement that the only people who try to use X-fire to link to non-X-fire using community are only doing for their self-serving biases.

False.  You are showing X-fire trends and trying to apply them to non-X-fire users.

Think you said you can see trends in x-fire yes?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

You statistic nerds can go on and on about XFire not being relevant bla bla bla. Yet it is showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if that could have anything to do with the huge popularity of another very similar MMORPG being released in those very same two weeks. Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because XFire is completely irrelevant. Right.... image

Just because you cant prove something does not mean it is irrelevant. There is a thing called inductive reasoning and inductive probability which can be used for reasoning even though it is not a scientific method. No one is trying to do a science experiment here...

Sometimes you have to make do with the data you got. Only alternative is not to do anything at all and you nay-sayers are perfectly welcome to do just that.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by Yamota

You statistic nerds can go on and on about XFire not being relevant bla bla bla. Yet it is showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if that could have anything to do with the huge popularity of another very similar MMORPG being released in those very same two weeks. Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because XFire is completely irrelevant. Right.... image

Just because you cant prove something does not mean it is irrelevant. There is a thing called inductive reasoning and inductive probability which can be used for reasoning even though it is not a scientific method. No one is trying to do a science experiment here...

Sometimes you have to make do with the data you got. Only alternative is not to do anything at all and you nay-sayers are perfectly welcome to do just that.

The thing is you don't know how good the representation is for the whole population.  Meaning if probability of using xfire and the probability of  playing swtor are statistically independent. It just could be that xfire users tend to be older users and more into sw lore than the current market with newer kids beeing more interested in other things for example. That would lead to a higher percent of swtor players in the xfire user subspace than in the whole gaming market. For example I know of some games where they survived in US but died out in EU and vice versa. If userbase of xfire is more focused in one area it would already screw the results as it couldn't reflect such games correctly.

Noone can prove/disprove this without the player statistics from ea. What could be interesting is taking published playerbases from other games and comparing them to xfire. If it corellates accordingly it would strenghten the claim that it is viable.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• TarwaterTarwater Member Posts: 63

I've actually thought x-fire showed a viable survey of gamers. 

Obviously, it's not the definitive display of gaming popularity and hours.  But as a survey source?  It's excellent.

No.

You selectively read much?  Because, I have stated multiple times throughout this thread that X-fire shows trends, but only within the X-fire userbase.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Xfire is a joke. No one uses it anymore. Well maybe some but just asked in my guild of 50+ members and no one uses it in the guild.

<Sarcasm>

You X-fire supporters can go on and on about X-fire being relevant bla bla bla.  Yet it is only showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline of X-fire users playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it could have something to do with the holidays.  Or some people stopped using X-fire.  Or some people just not using X-fire while playing WoW.  Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because it HAS TO be something linked towards SWTOR and it HAS TO be linked with the people who don't use X-fire.

</Sarcasm>

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you think on the validity of X-fire statistics.  The facts show that they are only valid when used to describe the X-fire userbase trends.  There is absolutely no controls set in place to prevent extraneous variables that are present when trying to take these X-fire statistics and link them to the non-X-Fire using population.  No matter how much you detest and complain about it... those are facts.

And, a guess is just that... a self-serving, biased, hope-filled statement.  They have no basis in statistical analysis.

Originally posted by Aison2

The thing is you don't know how good the representation is for the whole population.  Meaning if probability of using xfire and the probability of  playing swtor are statistically independent. It just could be that xfire users tend to be older users and more into sw lore than the current market with newer kids beeing more interested in other things for example. That would lead to a higher percent of swtor players in the xfire user subspace than in the whole gaming market. For example I know of some games where they survived in US but died out in EU and vice versa. If userbase of xfire is more focused in one area it would already screw the results as it couldn't reflect such games correctly.

Noone can prove/disprove this without the player statistics from ea. What could be interesting is taking published playerbases from other games and comparing them to xfire. If it corellates accordingly it would strenghten the claim that it is viable.

Well like I said before, there is no way of proving or disapproving if XFire is showing accurate data or not because no one here knows how representative XFire gamers are to the general gaming populations. So it is up to everyone to make that judgement and I choose to make the judgement that aslong as I see anything credible saying me that XFire is some nische sub-population I choose to see the XFire data as credible.

However, as have been stated many times by me and others, we are not primarily talking about sub. numbers here but rather trends. I.e. if a portion of XFire gamers playing WoW somehow stops playing it and at the same time we see more XFire gamers playing SW:TOR I dont see why that trend would occur only in XFire and not in the general population.

Ofcourse it cannot be statistically proven but that has never been said by anyone.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    This just in: Xfire is still crap. More news at 11.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

You X-fire supporters can go on and on about X-fire being relevant bla bla bla.  Yet it is only showing, in the last couple of weeks, a steady decline of X-fire users playing WoW.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it could have something to do with the holidays.  Or some people stopped using X-fire.  Or some people just not using X-fire while playing WoW.  Naw... that is probably just a pure coincidence because it HAS TO be something linked towards SWTOR and it HAS TO be linked with the people who don't use X-fire.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you think on the validity of X-fire statistics.  The facts show that they are only valid when used to describe the X-fire userbase trends.  There is absolutely no controls set in place to prevent extraneous variables that are present when trying to take these X-fire statistics and link them to the non-X-Fire using population.  No matter how much you detest and complain about it... those are facts.

And, a guess is just that... a self-serving, biased, hope-filled statement.  They have no basis in statistical analysis.

First of all I never said it HAD TO depend on SW:TOR, just that it is a very interesting coincidence. However I believe it does and I believe it applies to the general population.

No one is claiming it has basis in your statistical analysis. And the self-serving part is completely your fabrication. I have used the XFire data to both say that SW:TOR has been immensely popular so far (number two MMORPG on XFire) as well as saying that it seems to have stagnated. It is YOU who pick and choose statements to server your agenda by labeling anyone who says anything remotely negative about the game as self serving "haters".

Besides, do you have any data showing the trend or evolution of MMORPGs? No you dont, you are just here to say no no and no without bringing anything to the table.

That is the difference between you and me, you deal in absolutes, black and white. What can I prove or disapprove where I am trying to hold a discussion based on the data we have. This is not a science forum, this is a gaming forum where people discuss whatever related to gaming.

No.

You selectively read much?  Because, I have stated multiple times throughout this thread that X-fire shows trends, but only within the X-fire userbase.

Ya i know:) i was just wanting to make sure you were aware that you had said it, multiple time.

X-fire shows trends, X-fire users ARE part of the whole games user base.

There fore x-fire can and does show trends in the whole games user base:)

The rest is just how accurate it is, most likely, not very, if used alone and you do not take other things into account that we have.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Robokapp

Xfire is awesome and it predicts the future. If you dont use xfire you suck and you're in denial.

Yeah, I am. The #¤%& uses system resources like there was no tomorrow and lags down my net.

Vent or in small groups Skype works best for me. 

Anyways, any up and downs during the holidays aand the first week of a game does not matter. People play a lot when a game is just released and also when everyone is free from work and school. As soon as people get back to their usual activities all games ratings go down.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Alright guys, here is what we've come up with so far after 400+ posts:

Xfire is not statistically accurate.
    Xfire shows gaming trends within the xfire community.
    Xfire is not a reliable way to measure trends within the gaming community at large.
    Xfire knows that wow is popular (so does my grandma)
    There aren't a lot of sources that can show this kind of data.
    An finally, don't start an argument about bad statistics with a statistics nerd. They will never stop.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Xfire is awesome and it predicts the future. If you dont use xfire you suck and you're in denial.

It's true! Xfire helped me win the powerball and cured my grammie's cancer!

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Cruis.InCruis.In Member Posts: 16

um what about games that have their own voice chat? eve? sto? this is dumb.

For what does it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but loseth his soul?

Originally posted by Aison2

Well like I said before, there is no way of proving or disapproving if XFire is showing accurate data or not because no one here knows how representative XFire gamers are to the general gaming populations. So it is up to everyone to make that judgement and I choose to make the judgement that aslong as I see anything credible saying me that XFire is some nische sub-population I choose to see the XFire data as credible.

However, as have been stated many times by me and others, we are not primarily talking about sub. numbers here but rather trends. I.e. if a portion of XFire gamers playing WoW somehow stops playing it and at the same time we see more XFire gamers playing SW:TOR I dont see why that trend would occur only in XFire and not in the general population.

Ofcourse it cannot be statistically proven but that has never been said by anyone.

So, you stated that you are engaging in self-serving, hope-filled, biased guesses rather than sound statistics. 

...Good to know.

First of all I never said it HAD TO depend on SW:TOR, just that it is a very interesting coincidence. However I believe it does and I believe it applies to the general population.

No one is claiming it has basis in your statistical analysis. And the self-serving part is completely your fabrication. I have used the XFire data to both say that SW:TOR has been immensely popular so far (number two MMORPG on XFire) as well as saying that it seems to have stagnated. It is YOU who pick and choose statements to server your agenda by labeling anyone who says anything remotely negative about the game as self serving "haters".

Besides, do you have any data showing the trend or evolution of MMORPGs? No you dont, you are just here to say no no and no without bringing anything to the table.

That is the difference between you and me, you deal in absolutes, black and white. What can I prove or disapprove where I am trying to hold a discussion based on the data we have. This is not a science forum, this is a gaming forum where people discuss whatever related to gaming.

Blue:  I have?  When?  Please provide links of me ever calling anyone a hater.  Oh wait... you can't, because I haven't.  So, you just made a fabrication.  Don't falsely complain about someone fabricating stuff when you are fabricating.

Green:  That's irrelevant as I'm not the one who's trying to link within X-fire statistics to the non-X-fire userbase.  Your deflection attempt failed.

Red:  Yet, YOU are the one that started this whole thread with trying to link within X-fire statistics to the non-X-fire userbase.  And, I deal in facts... not self-serving, hope-filled, guesses.

No.

Ya i know:) i was just wanting to make sure you were aware that you had said it, multiple time.

X-fire shows trends, X-fire users ARE part of the whole games user base.  True.

There fore x-fire can and does show trends in the whole games user base:)  False.  What percentage of the total gaming population uses X-fire?  Based on your logic, only .25% of the total gaming population uses X-fire and that would dictate the trends for the other 99.75%.  Only time this would be correct is if major sampling methods were used to reduce extraneous sampling variables.  Again, if you would have taken a statistics course you would have learned this.

The rest is just how accurate it is, most likely, not very, if used alone and you do not take other things into account that we have.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

I guess I'll have to talk my whole guild into installing xfire so we can boost up SWTOR numbers... oh wait... we don't care about haterade drinkers cause we're too busy having fun. 

P.S. - Always hated the 'xfire trending' argument... it'll never get old and the ones supporting it will never open their minds to reason.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Thread still going?!?!? Everyone that posted here is 100% winning!!!

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

It's true! Xfire helped me win the powerball and cured my grammie's cancer!

Really?

It tried to give my Grammie the clap, but both of them have been passed away for a number of yrs. Instead the guy at the mortuary got smacked with it.

As far as X-Fire....it does show a trend....for its users. Nothing more. I dont use it, and being the only MMO gamer among my group of RL friends, none of them use it either.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

X-fire shows trends, X-fire users ARE part of the whole games user base.  True.

There fore x-fire can and does show trends in the whole games user base:)  False.  What percentage of the total gaming population uses X-fire?  Based on your logic, only .25% of the total gaming population uses X-fire and that would dictate the trends for the other 99.75%.  Only time this would be correct is if major sampling methods were used to reduce extraneous sampling variables.  Again, if you would have taken a statistics course you would have learned this.

Heh i was pretty sure you would say false there:)

Honest much? So what is false about either of these things?

X-fire shows trends.

X-fire people that play a game are part of the whole population of that game?

Like i said, you are syaing false to  what is true, and arguing exactly what i said was the remaining thing to argue. The accuracy of said trends which i said would be not much if you just use x-fire.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Looks like some folks are still desperately trying to hang on to XFire as a relevant tool for anything. Too funny.

As for me, I'm going to get dinner and then go right back into SWTOR, which I've played most of the day today. Of course, since I'm not using XFire or anything else to track my playtime, I guess none of it counts. image

Originally posted by Lidane

Looks like some folks are still desperately trying to hang on to XFire as a relevant tool for anything. Too funny.

As for me, I'm going to get dinner and then go right back into SWTOR, which I've played most of the day today. Of course, since I'm not using XFire or anything else to track my playtime, I guess none of it counts. image

Naw it counts:)

Dunno where it was assumed i either liked or didnt like SWTOR:)

To me this has nothing to do with any particular game.

Heck i will most likely try SWTOR out for myself eventually. Soon as i can talk my wife into taking a break from her game.

But all that is neither here nor there. Just fun to talk ( and yes poke at ) some folks and there numbers:P

Firmly of the belief that you do not throw out what you have because it is not the perfect item to do its job, specialy when we do not, and most likely will never have, better than what is available.

This discussion has been closed.