Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGErs now in our boat

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by routesman

Now they feel our pain... they feel their game striped away from them.

I do honestly feel bad for those who loved SWG to the bitter end.  Its hard to see something you've invested so much of your life in go away.  But then again, they got their home by evicting us from ours... so I can't feel too bad.

Really...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by wizyy

Originally posted by saay

Originally posted by Omali

The post-NGE players will move on, but the old jaded Galaxies players will last forever.

Of course they will move on - to SWTOR, the game that NGE tried to be

This is one of the most uninformed, silly posts I've read in a while.

SWG in 2011 was NOTHING like TOR. SWG was player driven in every aspect - had extensive sandbox features from storyteller, crafting, cities, social features etc etc. 

TOR will never be even half the game  that SWG was at either in 2004 or in 2011.

NGE TRIED to be the game that Lucasarts wanted it to be - WoW with lightsabers, but SOE couldn't or wouldn't change the whole engine, probably couldn't handle the cost. They really should have done that - make a new game to appease Lucasarts and leave the original game alone.

Well, you could say it tried to have certain elements such as heroics - but after that you dont know and therefore cant say what they were trying for it to be.

Oh and by the way, no need to use yellow to get your point across, i'm still going to read it.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

The post-NGE players will move on, but the old jaded Galaxies players will last forever.

SWG in 2011 was NOTHING like TOR. SWG was player driven in every aspect - had extensive sandbox features from storyteller, crafting, cities, social features etc etc. 

TOR will never be even half the game  that SWG was at either in 2004 or in 2011.

NGE TRIED to be the game that Lucasarts wanted it to be - WoW with lightsabers, but SOE couldn't or wouldn't change the whole engine, probably couldn't handle the cost. They really should have done that - make a new game to appease Lucasarts and leave the original game alone.

Wrong...

LEC told SOE what they wanted...but didn't give them enoiugh time to actually develop it.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by hipiap

Wrong...

LEC told SOE what they wanted...but didn't give them enoiugh time to actually develop it.

It doesn't matter how it happened, it happened.

And NGE ISN'T SWG that we loved. I don't care that it was shut down. All who played it can easily enjoy SWTOR.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Wrong...

And NGE ISN'T SWG that we loved. I don't care that it was shut down. All who played it can easily enjoy SWTOR.

You can never enjoy SWTOR in the same way as SWG. It is seriously lacking. SWTOR is no where near SWG. The NGE was still the SWG we loved at heart.

SWTOR will never be a replacement to SWG, it is a great addition to the Star Wars universe, but no where near a replacement for SWG.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by superniceguy

Wrong...

You can never enjoy SWTOR in the same way as SWG. It is seriously lacking. SWTOR is no where near SWG. The NGE was still the SWG we loved at heart.

SWTOR will never be a replacement to SWG, it is a great addition to the Star Wars universe, but no where near a replacement for SWG.

thank god.. because if it was i would have to quit SWG sucked.

Originally posted by LordRelic

Wrong...

thank god.. because if it was i would have to quit SWG sucked.

SWTOR sucks at being a MMO. SWG was great as a MMO

SWTOR no where feels like Star Wars, and half the time I have to remind myself I am playing SWTOR and not STO. They are both rather similar.

SWG is the only MMO I would keep subbing to, all other MMOs once you hit max level, and have fun at top level for a bit, there is nothing to do. Once I have done the stories in SWTOR I will probably quit unless they add better crafting, space and Beast Master or things just as complex even if different

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Xthos

They didn't do anything to you, I would say Lucas is probably 70-80% responsible for them doing a major redo of the game, most give Sony most of the blame, but I have never seen a studio do the massive overhaul of a game, the way they did on their own...It is the price you pay for having someone be able to say yay/nay on everything you do.

I left after the NGE, but i truely doubt Sony wanted to do that drastic overhaul, and were 'forced' by Lucas to do something like it.

Sony screws a lot of stuff up, but like I said, I have never seen a company willingly spend the amount of money and time it probably took to redo a game, and in the process screw so much stuff up...They basically relaunched it, and made a new game to a degree.

Kind of petty to be mad at those that liked the changes or played afterward, not like they had any hand in it.

I agree I dont buy that Sony was the sole driver of the NGE experience.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

I played for seven years, even after the NGE SWG was unique. A lot of posters believe SWG 2005 just after NGE was the same as the NGE that shut down two weeks ago which isn't true. I would pick SWG even in its NGE incarnation over TOR every single time.

Originally posted by Lowcaian

I played for seven years, even after the NGE SWG was unique. A lot of posters believe SWG 2005 just after NGE was the same as the NGE that shut down two weeks ago which isn't true. I would pick SWG even in its NGE incarnation over TOR every single time.

I like it when a person actually gets it.

Yes...the original implementation of the NGE sucked..

But the developers made strides to improve and repair that over the next 5 years.

The SW:G that was Murdered 2 weeks ago was not the SW:G that you played in November 2005 or Jan 2006.

It wasn't the SW:G I played in 2004 or 2003.

It was just SW:G.

And for the pre-NGE haters that quit SW:G and never came back...

I hope you enjoy ToR.....because its a  poor excuse for an MMO with fabulous voice work and cartoonish graphics.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

But the developers made strides to improve and repair that over the next 5 years.

The SW:G that was Murdered 2 weeks ago was not the SW:G that you played in November 2005 or Jan 2006.

I hope you enjoy ToR.....because its a  poor excuse for an MMO with fabulous voice work and cartoonish graphics.

I'm enjoying the hell out of SWTOR, thanks.   Maybe you just need to move on and get over the fact that your game is gone and isn't coming back.

See what I did there?image

Btw, I played swg multiple times since the nge was first introduced and each time it felt the same to me.  Some of the bugs were gone and the performance was better, but it was the same gameplay experience for me.  Last time I played was during one of those vets trials in 2009 (or was it 2010?) and it felt the same as it did in Dec. 2005, when I left.  Same clunky UI, same combat (but with the addtion of target lock), same classes (with that stupid skill wheel thing) and same the low population (even lower on my last one since my original server, Intrepid, was gone).  People that claim that swg was a vastly different game from when the nge first came to be are looking at with rose coloured glasses.  There was more stuff added to the game, like the storey teller stuff and instances like Hoth, but the CORE GAMEPLAY was almost exactly the same.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

I'm enjoying the hell out of SWTOR, thanks.   Maybe you just need to move on and get over the fact that your game is gone and isn't coming back.

Btw, I played swg multiple times since the nge was first introduced and each time it felt the same to me.  Some of the bugs were gone and the performance was better, but it was the same gameplay experience for me.  Last time I played was during one of those vets trials in 2009 (or was it 2010?) and it felt the same as it did in Dec. 2005, when I left.  Same clunky UI, same combat (but with the addtion of target lock), same classes (with that stupid skill wheel thing) and same the low population (even lower on my last one since my original server, Intrepid, was gone).  People that claim that swg was a vastly different game from when the nge first came to be are looking at with rose coloured glasses.  There was more stuff added to the game, like the storey teller stuff and instances like Hoth, but the CORE GAMEPLAY was almost exactly the same.

Difference with NGE over SWTOR, is that you still had all your characters and items, ships, vehicles, housing, player cites from pre-NGE, which was enough to keep playing SWG. SWTOR means a 100% fresh start, and have to buy the game, and start from nothing and relearn a new game completely.

To ditch SWG after NGE, is like a loved one losing an arm or a leg, or going blind, deaf or dumb or all of it! Then not having anything more to do with them.

Now with SWG closing it is now like a loved one dying, and not up for getting involved with anyone again. Some people can take years, and for others it can be never.

I guess those who found it easier to give up on SWG, never really cared about the time and effort they put into their characters

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

To ditch SWG after NGE, is like a loved one losing an arm or a leg, or going blind, deaf or dumb or all of it! Then not having anything more to do with them.

Now with SWG closing it is now like a loved one dying, and not up for getting involved with anyone again. Some people can take years, and for others it can be never.

I guess those who found it easier to give up on SWG, never really cared about the time and effort they put into their characters

Have you ever actually had a loved one become disabled and/or die?  I'm disturbed that anyone would ever rank an online video game shutting down on the same emotional level as bereavement, or even consider them remotely comparable.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I seriously doubt people who played the original SWG and people who played the NGE have different rates of how likely they are to try SWTOR.  Both versions of SWG were sandbox games, although one more than the other.  We are united now...  If you look at this thread, you see a lot of people bashing SWG in various ways, but few of them were ever fans of either version of SWG.  They are just people trying to defend their themepark mmo, SWTOR.

SWTOR is just a star wars version of WoW with some added single player elements.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by Uronksur

Have you ever actually had a loved one become disabled and/or die?  I'm disturbed that anyone would ever rank an online video game shutting down on the same emotional level as bereavement, or even consider them remotely comparable.

It is not the game itself, but the characters, the time and memories that you have dedicated with it, and other characters are played by real people. If KOTOR was able to shut down, or you no longer had a Xbox or a PC that was capable of playing it, then it would not matter as all characters in game are entities of a videogame, and not controlled by real people.

SWG brought loads of people together, now that SWG is closed, we will never get to meet them again, as we all have different tastes and go elsewhere, so some of those people that we had good times with are as good as dead now internet/online game-wise

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is not the game itself, but the characters, the time and memories that you have dedicated with it, and other characters are played by real people. If KOTOR was able to shut down, or you no longer had a Xbox or a PC that was capable of playing it, then it would not matter as all characters in game are entities of a videogame, and not controlled by real people.

SWG brought loads of people together, now that SWG is closed, we will never get to meet them again, as we all have different tastes and go elsewhere, so some of those people that we had good times with are as good as dead now internet/online game-wise

Yeah, it is kinda a reminder of our own mortality.

You know, like with old IRL friends you lost contact with one way or another.

And MMO characters can become like an old friend themselves as well.

It is always sad when a MMO goes down but we have to continue living instead of dwelling in the past.

Originally posted by Ginaz

How the hell can we look at it with rose coloured glasses if we played until we had to stop two weks ago? If we hadn't been playing for 3 years there might have been some merit to it. If someone is using rose coloured glasses it's the pre-CU vets (I am pre-CU) that keep harping about how their game was destroyed. Core gameplay? Depending on the definition I could say the core gameplay was the same after NGE with the exception of the professions.

Originally posted by Loke666

Yeah, it is kinda a reminder of our own mortality.

You know, like with old IRL friends you lost contact with one way or another.

And MMO characters can become like an old friend themselves as well.

It is always sad when a MMO goes down but we have to continue living instead of dwelling in the past.

People handle such things differently, to each their own. My way is not to play TOR. SWG is only one reason for this though. I have sadly come to realize that LA isn't the company it was. Back in the day I eagerly looked forward to their next release, I just hope they can somehow reclaim the lost magic. TOR will not be what does it however.

SWG will be the worst one "to get over" compared to other online games that close due to the many many different game elements it had, which attracted a load of varied players all around, and more people have made friends in SWG quicker than in any other game.

The closure of SWG can make you just give up on online games completely, and just stick to keeping your friends in RL. I am playing SWTOR and other games, but I doubt I will bother interacting with other people now like I did before Jun 2011, except friends who are playing SWTOR and other games as well. I am now probably just going to ignore everyone, who is not already friends.

I never felt like this after other MMOs closed down, including the Matrix, as the shutdown was kind of expected and not much of a shock at all, as they were all actually really dead, unlike SWG. It was near dead, but not actually dead, and in fact when the shutdown announcement was made, it was actually picking up life. For them to pull it like they did, leaves insecurity to play other MMOs that also have licences, which include SWTOR, as they can shut down regardless of populations. Games like World of Warcraft, and especially EQ is quite safe from this.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Get over it. SWG is dead. NGE, CU AND pre-CU.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Originally posted by TUX426

Exactly.  The nge leftovers need to move on and get over it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by TUX426

Not when being told to get over it. Comments like that just fuel our needs for SWG even more. We'll get over it in our own time.

You are are obviously not over it, as still keep visiting these forums. Any one who is truly over SWG will leave it behind and not look back but look to the future and just deal with whatever is active. Checking out these forums is looking back.

That would be a yes for me.

As to the bereavement level....check out the majority of the posts made by the Pre_NGE SW:G vets on this forum for proof.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

That would be a yes for me.

As to the bereavement level....check out the majority of the posts made by the Pre_NGE SW:G vets on this forum for proof.

Get over it

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Buffy_bites still trying to defend his dead game. Lol. Priceless.