Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 vs Other MMOs

SharpehSharpeh Member Posts: 111

What's up guys?

I made a video about a quote from one of the ArenaNet developers. He explains really well why Guild Wars 2 is different than other MMOs!

You can find the video here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdcJDRPZuU&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL

I figured I'd make a video like this to end the year 2011 on! What do you guys think about it?

Happy New Year everyone!

Hope is nature's way of enabling us to survive so that we can discover nature itself.

Check out my YouTube Channel for LOADS of info on Guild Wars 2!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TubeElephant

Comments

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Nice video, and a happy new year to you too! :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    You play MMOs together with people and not alongside people, seems alesson we have forgotten since WoW entered the MM O market

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You play MMOs together with people and not alongside people, seems alesson we have forgotten since WoW entered the MM O market

so true!

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

That one quote "playing alongside each other and not with each other" is what has been missing in MMO for years past... rift kinda had it with the rifts people completing the events that randomly spawn until they nerfed the crap outta them and they became a pain and you'd just wanna avoid them and not a need to go close them, and then they went the safe path with the LFG tools and everything like that.

These tools ruins communitys and people not interacting with each other, even with a simple "hello can a join your group?" doesnt exist anymore that I've noticed, and i think that's whats drives me away from games the communitys suck... but with GW2 (i've got my fingers crossed here) this will bring back the feeling of needing to work together and communitcate with others around you, thats whats missing in MMO's these days and we need that back. badly.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Great video and Happy New Year to you too, and hopefully 2012 brings us all Guild Wars 2 ^^

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Sharpeh

What's up guys?

I made a video about a quote from one of the ArenaNet developers. He explains really well why Guild Wars 2 is different than other MMOs!

I figured I'd make a video like this to end the year 2011 on! What do you guys think about it?

Happy New Year everyone!

It's an MMO same old same old.

Until a developer removes end game/guilds/insta sell travel  and releases a real MMO we can actuall enjoy for more than a couple of months I am not really interested.

Longevity / Game Community not Guilds and a world that fights back i.e has some teeth are what makes a real good MMO sadly 95% of developers fail...

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Isane

What's up guys?

Happy New Year everyone!

Until a developer removes end game/guilds/insta sell travel  and releases a real MMO we can actuall enjoy for more than a couple of months I am not really interested.

Longevity / Game Community not Guilds and a world that fights back i.e has some teeth are what makes a real good MMO sadly 95% of developers fail...

Have u even looked into the game? and done ya research? lol... or are u just one of those people that just look at the cover of it. like people have with TOR

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by Isane

You know Im not sure what mmorpg class I fit in...

I love quests. I love crafting. I love community. I love challenge. I love raids. I love grouping. I suck at pvp. I hate linear paths. I love player housing. I love exploring. I hate class balancing. I hate kill 10 rats...

What I do know is that GW2 looks refreshing enough to try, and try it I will...

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Happy new years and good vid =)

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

What's up guys?

Happy New Year everyone!

Again, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with GW2.

I also believe this game will be a stepping stone for the genre and since 2005 i've been an avid follower of Anet and their concept of fantasy MMO. I don't expect every MMO to follow the same design style but i hope better game designs will be put out creating more diversity in the genre.

Happy New Year to you all.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

While I don't get hyped for MMOs anymore, the vid does give me hope that we'll get something in the market that doesn't consist of soloing to the level cap then raid or die.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by pierth

While I don't get hyped for MMOs anymore, the vid does give me hope that we'll get something in the market that doesn't consist of soloing to the level cap then raid or die.

Prepare to be amazed, people not expecting to much will probably be stunned by the brilliance of GW2, i do envy you.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Dekarx12

That one quote "playing alongside each other and not with each other" is what has been missing in MMO for years past... rift kinda had it with the rifts people completing the events that randomly spawn until they nerfed the crap outta them and they became a pain and you'd just wanna avoid them and not a need to go close them, and then they went the safe path with the LFG tools and everything like that.

These tools ruins communitys and people not interacting with each other, even with a simple "hello can a join your group?" doesnt exist anymore that I've noticed, and i think that's whats drives me away from games the communitys suck... but with GW2 (i've got my fingers crossed here) this will bring back the feeling of needing to work together and communitcate with others around you, thats whats missing in MMO's these days and we need that back. badly.

agreed with your comment, but must say I dont see it happen in GW2, as it is designed to letting you solo if you want to, in the DE´s they have several tasks needed to be done, that you can do alone....there may be diffrent difficulties ofc, but the few DE´s Ive seen promoted the playing along side each other, rather than playing together - am sure it is more effective to play together but that doesnt seem to be enough anymore.

well will see if the DEs get harder so when there is more than 1 player in it you "have to" work together to win, depending on player skill

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Dont really want to jump on the hate wagon but... what does GW2 differ from other asian/korean games now again? The vid could describe pretty much any other mmo out on the market

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by PapaB34R

Dont really want to jump on the hate wagon but... what does GW2 differ from other asian/korean games now again? The vid could describe pretty much any other mmo out on the market

Well, for one it's not an Asian MMO :).

I'll let others handle the rest (but while you wait for that, you could check out the GW2 posts stickied at the top of the forum).

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Some have but not all,vanguard is one such game.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by pierth

Prepare to be amazed, people not expecting to much will probably be stunned by the brilliance of GW2, i do envy you.

I personally missed what some consider to be the golden age of MMOs. I never played Ultima or Everquest. I started out with an asian grindfest called Myth of Soma, then moved to WoW and tried every MMO since, which all feel the same.

I'm really excited for Guild Wars. Rift showed spots of absolute brilliance with the zonewide invasions that forced dozens of random players to band together and defend their town, but fumbled on the rest of the MMO aspects by just being the same thing again. Guild Wars looks like it'll be that and only that, constant fights over zones without your traditional quests.

I do fear monotomy though. The idea of events everywhere that people have to join intrigues me greatly, but sometimes you need a break too. Every now and then, I might just want to travel to a dungeon to kill some beasties by myself. What I've seen from Guild Wars 2 is pretty much a constant rollercoaster ride, but maybe every now and then I want to hop on the roundabout instead. Now I know it has dungeons and some sort of singleplayer storyline, but events are quite obviously the focus from everything I've seen.

Still, by far my most anticipated MMO since Age of Conan. Which doesn't bode well as AoC failed spectacularly :). It actually throws away everything I consider MMO and does it completely different. That alone makes me extremely excited. Can't wait to give it a whirl, haven't had a chance to check it out on the CONs out there.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

Hmmmm love watching these video's so many things they say in them I laugh at......

1. The pvp....hmmm seen it oh you can rez anyone cool you can do that in other games as well nothing really new in this. Hell some games you can even self rez and not have to take away from the fighting...

2. The community, So far I have seen a ton of flaming fan boys who are attacking all other games and creating havoc on every forum. This does not endear the community as being anything to be taken as a value, However I hope that once the game is released they will calm down some.

3. The look. Its rather bland to be honest, reminds me of alot of other games alread out or coming out soon.

4. No fixed classes, DDO, Rift, etc its been done before and while it works to some extent there is much to be said about purity over hybrid. Pure classes tend to be way more effective in a job role then a hybrid, but since there is no " trinity arch types" in this game this would be considered a moot point, however Many people enjoy the trinity system and this should never be looked down apon.

5.Dynamic events, If the game is anything like the first guild wars then to be honest its more of a single player game with a chat box, Sure you may need a group for the harder parts, but guess what YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET npc mercs to fill in for that...Im not really seeing that as a selling point.

6. To be more of a social experience...Huh, look if we wanted all that social experience wouldnt we go out and meet people and have a drink or go to a party. Most gamers tend to be socially akwards thus they hid in the safety of a game...Making them more social may make them want to actually want to go out and enjoy life. Isn't that conture productive?

Im still not sure on this game. While I will probably pick it up to see if it lives up to half the hype, but as it stands right now I just dont think it can nor do I think its the holy grail of mmo's like some claim it to be.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Originally posted by PapaB34R

Well, for one it's not an Asian MMO :).

LOL... Took the words right out of my mouth. Well instead of wasting my time re-iterating the points I've brought up. The best solution for you PapaB34R, is to go on cali59's profile and click on any of the post he's recently made and enjoy enlightening the walls of text. image

Or in-fact just read this post.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Happy new year to you too!

I'm sorry though I'm well past taking developers nice words as any indication of how their game will end up.  I still find it very strange how people will blindly believe one developers hype over another.  The thing is, those people who do that are the first to come on sites like this and complain when it doesn't live up to their expectations.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say.  A lot of people on here seem to think GW2 will be a guaranteed slam dunk even though there certain questions raised by how the game is structued, (see here if interested http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27150 got this link from another post on this site).

I hope it's a decent experience but I also hope people will take it for what it is and not judge it based on wildly unrealistic expectations...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

So very true.

I am hardly an advocate for forced grouping as a sole source of leveling because I come from the Asherons Call mode of character development but solo grouping all the way to level cap regardless of how you feel is a huge stain on community and scoial interaction.  GW2 is trying to accomplish what no other game since AC has done in that its ok to solo if you want but its more beneficial and advantageous to have others on your screen assisting.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Chivalry1978

Hmmmm love watching these video's so many things they say in them I laugh at......

1. The pvp....hmmm seen it oh you can rez anyone cool you can do that in other games as well nothing really new in this. Hell some games you can even self rez and not have to take away from the fighting...

Name me another popular MMORPG that allows everyone to res everyone IN-COMBAT?

2. The community, So far I have seen a ton of flaming fan boys who are attacking all other games and creating havoc on every forum. This does not endear the community as being anything to be taken as a value, However I hope that once the game is released they will calm down some.

And I've seen you on here, doing a lot of flaming and provoking us so called fanboys. So don't blame us for taking the bait, during this information lul.

3. The look. Its rather bland to be honest, reminds me of alot of other games alread out or coming out soon.

Subjective... next.

4. No fixed classes, DDO, Rift, etc its been done before and while it works to some extent there is much to be said about purity over hybrid. Pure classes tend to be way more effective in a job role then a hybrid, but since there is no " trinity arch types" in this game this would be considered a moot point, however Many people enjoy the trinity system and this should never be looked down apon.

Those that enjoy trinity-based, pure class games have a ton of games to choose from (Rift being one of them). Everyone else should have a good alternative. What's wrong with that?

5.Dynamic events, If the game is anything like the first guild wars then to be honest its more of a single player game with a chat box, Sure you may need a group for the harder parts, but guess what YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET npc mercs to fill in for that...Im not really seeing that as a selling point.

Like I've said hundreds of times in this forums. THIS ISN'T GUILD WARS 1. If you want to talk about GW1 and all the mechanics you didn't like there, go here and do it. But here we discuss GW2 and all it's MMO goodness. Seriously, I'm surprised people can still bring up the "Just like GW1" arguement with so much evidence to prove otherwise.

Instanced Singleplayer Gameplay?

6. To be more of a social experience...Huh, look if we wanted all that social experience wouldnt we go out and meet people and have a drink or go to a party. Most gamers tend to be socially akwards thus they hid in the safety of a game...Making them more social may make them want to actually want to go out and enjoy life. Isn't that conture productive?

Project much... Someone's still living in the era when gamers were considered loners, living in their Grandma's basement. Well times have changed and we live in the age of youtube, faceboos & twitter.

Im still not sure on this game. While I will probably pick it up to see if it lives up to half the hype, but as it stands right now I just dont think it can nor do I think its the holy grail of mmo's like some claim it to be.

Oh well. As long as people like you end up giving ArenaNet your money, in the end, thus making the game more of a success, then that's all that matters. ^_^

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Omnifish

Happy new year to you too!

I'm sorry though I'm well past taking developers nice words as any indication of how their game will end up.  I still find it very strange how people will blindly believe one developers hype over another.  The thing is, those people who do that are the first to come on sites like this and complain when it doesn't live up to their expectations.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say.  A lot of people on here seem to think GW2 will be a guaranteed slam dunk even though there certain questions raised by how the game is structued, (see here if interested http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27150 got this link from another post on this site).

I hope it's a decent experience but I also hope people will take it for what it is and not judge it based on wildly unrealistic expectations...

Yes and you didn't even posted the top ten amazing things either.

I've played it and what's crazy is the top ten flaws a few of them are opinions, just as so the top ten amazing things some of those are opinions.

What I did like about the flaws is they were all based on preference, which is why a lot of naysayers if read correctly don't bring that up, but I like the flaws because first and foremost no game is perfect.

The controls aren't easy to get used to at first, but that's why I did PVE first, playing PVP, I was doing a lot better, that I guess could be a flaw, but like I said Damon took out his in his opinion his top ten design flaws.

Gamebreaking facts weren't in those, I know you wanted them to be facts, hardly any one knew about that post, in my opinoin it was a good read, because on contrary to popular belief some of the points he brought up, haven't been talked about yet by ANET, and like the combat cues he mentioned are now outdated, because it was "fix" lol.

May the common sense be with you :D

Oh and ah the things on www.guildwars2.com actually aren't lies either, which is sad, and thanks for bringing up [concerns].

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I don t think theres anyone out there that thinks GW2 will suck, but just because someone is saying it, doesn t mean it s going to be that way. You can t control how people will be and act. Dynamic events where you join others, without really having to beg for a group, doesn t make a social game, it just means people help each other, without really caring whos with them.

I like the system, but I m sure most people won t even care who you are, or what you re bringing to the event.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Oh well. As long as people like you end up giving ArenaNet your money, in the end, thus making the game more of a success, then that's all that matters. ^_^

You shouldnt respond to him, in many threads people have pointed out the information he wants, but still his topic is always the same, its the same post again and again just check the history. =)

do like the rest just ignore.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-