Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 years? Really? Really, really??

TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Man... In 2 days I'll have been lurking and reading this drivel for almost 10 years!  Sadly... it's gone from genuine debates to flaming/fanboyism, to the latest stage of maniacal ranting because someone else has a different opinion...

I (we) have seen the next big thing come and go in so many repeated cycles of  anticipation, excitment, acceptance, frustration, then finally rage.  

I (we've) also seen the trolls hate from inception to implementation and never (ever) change a darn thing.

10 years...   10 years...  And I just sit back and continue to watch us devolve into a gelatinous mass of accusations towards each other..

And all i got was this lousy.. oh wait, I didnt even get a T-shirt... lol.. oh well.

This is just one man's opinion though.. feel free to rip it apart because it's not yours.  

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Lol some reason I came in the thread expecting a DNF rant. Lol. Sorry OP

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I cant know how the OP feels, but i sure do know how i feel after five + years.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

I've been around this site for even longer than this account states and I agree that the site has changed some. I think it was never mostly genuine debates, thats a pretty big stretch. Its always turned out into flame fests IMO. I have noticed that the off topic section isn't even nearly as interesting as it once was though.

Other than that, I laugh everytime I read "This game will change everything" blah blah. I think the current games they are saying that about is ArcheAge and Guild Wars 2. 

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

It's true though, it's devolved to fanboys attacking fanboys for being fanboys of a different game. Everyone hates world of warcraft except for those who don't. Any game that looks like it might have any sort of budget is automatically labeled a WoW killer as if WoW is the cancer that's killing the genre. It isn't. That belongs to the players who want the best rewards the game can offer on one hour a day. Or the hardcores who want people to have to invest 800 hours into a game before they're in a semi-decent state.

Gaming has become a business. With it, business decisions rule game decisions, and it's no longer gamers making games, but programmers paid to program who may never even play what they create. We have EA raking in cash by putting out shovelware crap. The worst part is that most gamers can't even see it and just keep buying the shit.

I've got more to rant on but I need to scoot.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I am right behind you slick, but for a few years, I did not post at all.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Congrats...

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

I think every now and again you read something pretty decent on the forum which kinda makes up for the endless fanboi rants and Trolls. I'm always fine with reading some sort of contructive critisism about a game, since I know the person has read up/played enough to make a valid point. It's the idiots who'll watch one ancient leaked closed beta video and come to the conclusion that game is going to suck, or find a feature of a game close to WoW and call the game a WoW clone.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• celinelovecelinelove Member Posts: 5

10 years, so long time

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I was actually thinking the same thing earlier today.  I was looking at my bookmarks and realized I hadn't visited here in a while and started thinking about when I first came to mmorpg.com.  I started reading articles here when I was playing EQ (shortly after Velious) but didn't make an account since I was already posting pretty regular at The Ranger's Glade and Monkly Business.  When the guy running Ranger's Glade lost his data, I actually signed up here... with my EQ Ranger's name...

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Over 10 years of this has taught me the exact same thing thousands of years of history has taught me: things never change; they just change names.

Even in our modern society, we still have slave labor, indentured servitude, royal lineage, poor men fighting rich men's wars, unequal rights, prejudice, a top 1% wealthy class who trample everyone to gain more power and wealth, and a bottom 90% who mindlessly pledge allegience to their greedy masters.

People who are one-sided in their views, inherited from their parent's beliefs (or lack of), close minded, opinionated, disgustingly ego-centric trolls who not only won't change their minds about their opinion, but can't. This applies to all religions or lack of religions (Fanatical religious nuts are the same people as fanatical atheist nuts), all institutions (Government, Religious, Scientific), all categories (Political, Ethical, Tastes, Definitions of Fun), and all people across the world. One man will argue to the death his lack of belief in [politics, religion, video game] while the other will defend his cause to the death; neither having real reason, while those who think rationally don't really matter (or care) what everyone is arguing about. (Arguably, the rational players of life understand the futility of discussion).

The internet only shows more clearly what humanity has been like since their first existence. Very very few people here (or anywhere) are capable of abstract, logical, rational thought, and they can be found in every camp, along with the rest.

It was once called Everquest, then WoW, now ToR. For some it was never these but UO, then [insert second title], and now [insert third title]. Of course, conversation without sharing of opinion in a simplistic "Look at me, mommy!" mindset is pretty boring indeed. Agree, disagree, agree to disagree.

Or in the case of most of humanity's interactions: Obvious Troll is Obvious!

• AkechtaAkechta Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by madazz

Other than that, I laugh everytime I read "This game will change everything" blah blah. I think the current games they are saying that about is ArcheAge and Guild Wars 2. 

What's ArcheAge?

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's avoid political or religious discussion. Thanks!

• TheodorykTheodoryk Member Posts: 1,453

This subject is fresh and original.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

The real MMORPG.com vets! congrats! or maybe i should feel sorry for us "old timers" :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.