Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Droid I Was Looking For

Comments

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by Candomble

+1. In the end what matters is that we have fun. 3 months, 3 years, who cares?

Well, you're missing the point there. The people who DO care are Bioware - or any company that makes a large budget MMORPG. The goal of an MMORPG of this magnitude is to not hold your attention for 3 weeks to 3 months like most single player (or non-MMO games do). These games are successful if they only hold your attention for long periods of time - otherwise they lose subscription numbers and the game flops in the long run - even with a quick burst of success. 

Unfortunately for Bioware, Star Wars most likely won't hold peoples attention for longer than a month or two because Bioware designed the game as more of a co-op online experience rather than a true MMORPG. That's their problem. 

But back to your point, Bioware cares. As does anyone else who creates a large budget MMO based on a monthly subscription rate. This isn't a game designed to hold the modern day short attention span. Had WoW been like that from the get go it would have never survived as long as it did. Bioware really dropped the ball with Star Wars. They had a chance to design a unique MMORPG experience but ended up just making a rather shallow, fun for a week or two game that won't hold people in the long run.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Kappadonna

Well, you're missing the point there. The people who DO care are Bioware - or any company that makes a large budget MMORPG. The goal of an MMORPG of this magnitude is to not hold your attention for 3 weeks to 3 months like most single player (or non-MMO games do). These games are successful if they only hold your attention for long periods of time - otherwise they lose subscription numbers and the game flops in the long run - even with a quick burst of success. 

Unfortunately for Bioware, Star Wars most likely won't hold peoples attention for longer than a month or two because Bioware designed the game as more of a co-op online experience rather than a true MMORPG. That's their problem. 

But back to your point, Bioware cares. As does anyone else who creates a large budget MMO based on a monthly subscription rate. This isn't a game designed to hold the modern day short attention span. Had WoW been like that from the get go it would have never survived as long as it did. Bioware really dropped the ball with Star Wars. They had a chance to design a unique MMORPG experience but ended up just making a rather shallow, fun for a week or two game that won't hold people in the long run.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.  I know I'll be playing this game for a long time, as will a lot of other people.  

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Anubisan

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Rather good read, and I agree with you completely,  I won't be playing SWTOR for 10 years... or 5 years.. or even maybe 1 year. I'll be playing it when I want to play it, nothing more.  Theres a lot out, and a lot on the horizon that I'm looking forward to playing,  including expansionable content for SWTOR that will likely bring me back. 

I don't see a game ever holding my attention for an extended period of time... consecutively,  but if I like the game, I'll return.

I felt exactly the same way about the game which is why I didn't buy it. A game five years in the making, made by one of the top RPG making companies in the world, and with Bioware's own admission a truly hurculean budget, and with all that at we get a game that may keep us entertained for a few months.

All I've got to say to that, if true, is I think Bioware would have been better off making this game a Single Player RPG with some good co-op play mechanics for maybe up to four players ( I think Isabelle nailed it when she said this game seems perfect for duoing.) The manufacture time would have been less and the budget would have been lower allowing for Bioware to get a quicker return on their investment. Plus in the time we have been waiting we could most likely had both this first game and a sequel.

And instead you'll just be complaining about games on forums just like every other MMO-burnout around here...

I am so glad I am able to enjoy games for what they are. It must really suck to see nothing but negatives in everything. I hope you find that perfect MMO that entertains you for years and years, but somehow I doubt you will. I suspect many of you have over-inflated expectations that no game will EVER be able to meet.

Not looking for a perfect game, just a somewhat new one. And I've stated with nearly every post that SWTOR has some very excellent strenghs, such as the story line. I just disagree that its a good idea to base the games longetivity on the same exact features that have been used by nearly every oher mainstream MMO for the last six or so years.

Repitition for me does not equal fun. And judging by how many people here, including some long time staunch defenders of this game, are saying they'll be happy with a couple of months of fun from it, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Kappadonna

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.  I know I'll be playing this game for a long time, as will a lot of other people.  

I don't know, the issues he's talking about in this post are very real. It's the reason I'm already bored with TOR, it's the reason my four other friends are already back to playing Steam games, instead of the MMO. I realize that some of you are going to be able to hold on long term, because every MMO has it's core constituency, but everyone should be very honest with themselves when looking at TOR's content: there is an undeniable beginning and end, which is almost antithetical to the whole idea of MMO's to begin with.

And, really? His opinion is wrong? I know you're a fervent admirer, but you of all people, posting in response to so many opinions in so many threads, should realize that none of them are wrong. They just come from different places, based on different experiences, and are not innately the same. To me, his opinion is spot on, and I think more and more individuals are going to start waking up to this reality in the next few months.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

The thing is .. I'm not in the business of keeping companies alive for the sake of keeping them alive.  I'll play it while its fun, for however long its fun for.  Right now, its a lot of fun,  and I think I may get another month or two at least out of it.  (keep in mind I've been playing for 6 months in beta too)

I don't care how much money BioWare spent on the game, that only matters to them... why it would matter to anyone else (aside from investors) is beyond me.   

I think people look at this game and say : "Hey, look at that game over there, it sucks, I'd play it for, like,  a month and then get bored."  Well,  thats not really the games fault for one, because there are fantastic games out there that don't have even the slightest amount of content to last a month -- and for two, when was the last time you bought a game and played it for multiple months at a time?

Hey, in b4 "I'll play skyrim forever!"

I play skyrim too,  I played Arkham city, and Gears of War 3, and Dungeon Defenders and a lot of other games, and sure, I could come back to them when I want,  so why can't I do that with SWTOR?    

Everyone makes their own choices when it comes to their gaming habits,  and some people, make stupid choices, like subbing for a game they don't play,  or not buying a game they would like to play due to a sub, or not giving a game a chance because they think another game will be better.   What ever happened to just playing different games because they're fun?  

Why do we need every condition favorable just to have a good time, with the games we have, and the time we have now?  I gotta tell you, because of this,  I'm really worried about GW2 on days with low barometric pressure.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

The thing is .. I'm not in the business of keeping companies alive for the sake of keeping them alive.  I'll play it while its fun, for however long its fun for.  Right now, its a lot of fun,  and I think I may get another month or two at least out of it.  (keep in mind I've been playing for 6 months in beta too)

I don't care how much money BioWare spent on the game, that only matters to them... why it would matter to anyone else (aside from investors) is beyond me.   

I think people look at this game and say : "Hey, look at that game over there, it sucks, I'd play it for, like,  a month and then get bored."  Well,  thats not really the games fault for one, because there are fantastic games out there that don't have even the slightest amount of content to last a month -- and for two, when was the last time you bought a game and played it for multiple months at a time?

Hey, in b4 "I'll play skyrim forever!"

I play skyrim too,  I played Arkham city, and Gears of War 3, and Dungeon Defenders and a lot of other games, and sure, I could come back to them when I want,  so why can't I do that with SWTOR?    

Everyone makes their own choices when it comes to their gaming habits,  and some people, make stupid choices, like subbing for a game they don't play,  or not buying a game they would like to play due to a sub, or not giving a game a chance because they think another game will be better.   What ever happened to just playing different games because they're fun?  

Why do we need every condition favorable just to have a good time, with the games we have, and the time we have now?  I gotta tell you, because of this,  I'm really worried about GW2 on days with low barometric pressure.

And yet again i think someone missed the main point of my post.

A: due to the nature of the MMO making progress these games take a long time to complete, and have disporportinately lagre budget when compaired to single player games.

B: With all the sharding, instancing, companions, and story line quests, I fail to see why SWTOR needed to be a MASSIVELY multiplayer RPG. I think it could have been a better co-op game, of course that is just my opinion. But I feel if Bioware had done so I feel they could have knocked out not just one really killer SPRPG in this timne but two. Instead I feel they gave us one game that while having quite a few the strengths of Biowares single player RPGs, is also saddled with what I feel are the biggest weaknesses of the MMO template. And since they spent quite alot more time and money making a game I would have played about as long as a singeplayer or co-op one, I fail to see how this endeaver is a boon for either Bioware or gamers.

As to having fun with what is instead of what could be, sorry, you can choose to settle for what they give you. I'm not interested. And if you have no interest in hearing opinions contrary to your own, I have to ask, why do you visit public forums in the first place?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

And yet again i think someone missed the main point of my post.

A: due to the nature of the MMO making progress these games take a long time to complete, and have disporportinately lagre budget when compaired to single player games.

B: With all the sharding, instancing, companions, and story line quests, I fail to see why SWTOR needed to be a MASSIVELY multiplayer RPG. I think it could have been a better co-op game, of course that is just my opinion. But I feel if Bioware had done so I feel they could have knocked out not just one really killer SPRPG in this timne but two. Instead I feel they gave us one game that while having quite a few the strengths of Biowares single player RPGs, is also saddled with what I feel are the biggest weaknesses of the MMO template. And since they spent quite alot more time and money making a game I would have played about as long as a singeplayer or co-op one, I fail to see how this endeaver is a boon for either Bioware or gamers.

As to having fun with what is instead of what could be, sorry, you can choose to settle for what they give you. I'm not interested. And if you have no interest in hearing opinions contrary to your own, I have to ask, why do you visit public forums in the first place?

I think BioWare should make Co-op games again, its been a while since they have, but I feel they created a very good MMO here.  Yes there is instancing to a degree,  but its often exaggerated.   Its really not hard at all to find people to play with, but I don't want to focus on that specifically -- 

The point is,  WE don't get to dictate what gets made, or how it was made.  For example,  we didn't tell BioWare we wanted an MMO, they just started making one.  We can choose to buy it or not buy it,  but at the end of the day, its here, and is what it is.

In that regard, if you choose not to buy a game, thats good for you, but thats not really the original focus of my post.  What I was trying to get across is,  theres a strange stigma behind not playing something because you don't think you'll play it for very long, or, if you do, theres a consequence of additional monetary investment.  What it comes down to is value, and its a judgment call.    What BioWare spends, or how long it takes them to create something doesn't change your personal value. If they spend 6 dollars of 6 million and come up with the same results, it won't change the game you play, nor should it.

And as for my non-interst in others opinions...  I could tell you that I'm very open minded about others opinions and enjoy hearing them, and be telling the truth, but I'd rather direct you to any number of recent posts of "critical" outlooks over any number of games.  Nobody really wants to understand or take interest in the opposing point of view,  they just want to argue about it. (reference: "My opinion is right"  The MMORPG.com Forum story)

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60

It concerns me somewhat that a game as mediocre as the old republic is received positively, at least up until now which is not long after launch.  Is it young gamers with no sense of where games have come from?  Is it gamers in general?

The mechanics are bland and repetitive.  I see posts here and there which describe mmorpg's as being that way as part of the genre,  as if it is a feature.  I just have to shake my head when I see things like this.  If there is a large customer pool that just accepts games with lack of innovation and no real depth, it does not help the future of mmorpg development.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Heatsink98

It concerns me somewhat that a game as mediocre as the old republic is received positively, at least up until now which is not long after launch.  Is it young gamers with no sense of where games have come from?  Is it gamers in general?

It's that alot of people like(and still like) the game.

You don't NEED to have a "sense" of where games come from.  You either enjoy playing, or you don't.  You didn't enjoy it, and that's fine, but it's both silly and elitist to imply that a player's naivete' is key to ANY game's success.

Shall I apologize to you for "enjoying the wrong game"?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by fony

Originally posted by AdamTM

These stories really start to sound more and more like these religious conversion stories.

"I was a grumpy person once, but then I found jesus christ my lord and saviour and now I'm a better person. True Story (TM)"

LMAO...for real.

Or maybe people genuinely enjoying the game , and wanting to express this........

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Y'know the strangest thing for me is that I've really been enjoying this game.

Which I really find weird given the amount of time I've spent before stating my disfavor of games that have the same basic gameplay that tor uses. Makes me feel somewhat hypocritical because I still don't like that gameplay style.

I definitely chalk that up to a better interactive experience.

Well, that and the agent class both looks and plays well. Much prettier than the smuggler. Too bad I have to work with the sith though. >_>

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

it's the most anti-social mmo i have played to date everyone is too busy in their own little story world, the only interaction between players is people spamming lfg in general chat. when in a group players are too impatient to wait for the story they just want to rush and get their phat lewts...mmo's are for a different breed of gamer these days. The pvp is a stun and crowd controlfest, i cant fight anyone in pvp without getting punted into the stars, maybe thats what they mean by star wars.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

im having so much fun in tor  ill be playing till they shut the doors. One thing people overlook is how refreshing it is to play an mmo that isnt fantasy based.

I love that there are no elvezs in my game. I like that its set in space on planets. The story is amazing. 

ill admit the ui sucks and so does character creation but not so much to make me not like the game. 

i think she did a good job with her atricle, im a bit annoyed at all the must of been paid off to give game a good review remakrs most positive review threads get. 

Originally posted by nerovipus32

it's the most anti-social mmo i have played to date everyone is too busy in their own little story world, the only interaction between players is people spamming lfg in general chat. when in a group players are too impatient to wait for the story they just want to rush and get their phat lewts...mmo's are for a different breed of gamer these days. The pvp is a stun and crowd controlfest, i cant fight anyone in pvp without getting punted into the stars, maybe thats what they mean by star wars.

mm what server are YOU on?  

Sometimes PvP is a major stun and CC fest... the resolve bar is a great addition,  but completely useless if you don't have a full team backing you,  or you aren't fighting someone 1 v 1.   Usually when in a match, nobody wants to be the first to stick their neck out as that person will die.. quickly...      ... very.. very .. quickly..

• meccariellomeccariello Member Posts: 50

swtor is a good game... i like it personally. all this crankiness about it .. it sounds like its more the mmorpg community thats jaded. nothing impresses them or pleases them short of  dath jadus personally showing up on their doorstep to invite them to live action role place. 

the mmo community is mostly over 35 and are underwhelmed by everything. maybe its not the bad games.. maybe the community needs to lighten up and get back to basics

www.insomniacsbar.com (my little bar that i own in florida)

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

My only complaint? Tell me about the combat too:)

Is it closer to the story feelings? Or is it closer to the UI feelings?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The game is not even a month old and desperation has already set in to keep people playing the game. Yep, the mass exodus will begin sooner than most of us expect it to happen. We should be condeming bad mmos not endorsing them if you really want the mmo genre to be a better place for gamers.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by DerWotan

Another big publisher MMOG "magically changes the viewpoint from a former (longtime) skeptic. One can only imagine how much hype MMORPG.com will do for the next few weeks, €A at it again..

My thoughts exactly.  Not to mention saying that nothing even showed up on her radar since WAR.  Didn't even play Rift?  So where's your credibility in the industry?  I wish if MMORPG were going to accept buy outs they would at least insult our intelligence less by trying to cover it up instead of playing it off in a blantantly obvious way.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Mephster

The game is not even a month old and desperation has already set in to keep people playing the game. Yep, the mass exodus will begin sooner than most of us expect it to happen. We should be condeming bad mmos not endorsing them if you really want the mmo genre to be a better place for gamers.

If you had a long time account, I would make a perma ban bet with you that box sales will continue to do well.

The game is 11 days old now, and the servers continue to fill up. Europe servers are as crowded as the NA ones are. NA is down to like 10 servers now that still are light, with a shit ton of them at red status each night.

It must suck to hate something so much, and you are only left with spreading lies about it. I cannot wait to hear the press once folks get back from the holiday vacation.

BTW nice write up OP. It is refreshing to see instead of the blatant trolling in the TOR forums.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Been MMOing for 13 years and I have never had so much fun
  • CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Mephster

Next week it will go f2p for sure... Ty for the big lol.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Glad you're having fun with it!  I am as well!

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Only thing I differ with in the OPs article is that I was looking forward to this game. I am having a good time - which is what I paid for.

What I have noticed on my occasional foray into the forums are the repeated attacks from a group of posters who seem to go from forum to forum, bashing - well - everything and everybody. A group of bitter and unhappy followers of the MMO industry. Games, Devs, companies and other players, all come under grim attack as naive, stupid, cattle, incompetant, ignorant - geeze - pick the negative and they will spew it out. From obscene to quasi-erudite to armchair perfection, they systematically dismantle and attack OTHER PLAYERS FUN.

Thanks for your perspective OP, it was a nice change of pace. We both are enjoying SWTOR as a new and fun MMO. For those who are unhappy (shrug) not much anyone can do to help you. You surely have a right to your opinion and to post that opinion. If you do not see a lot more positive posts then you might consider that we are playing the game and not bothering with forums. Why am I here you might ask? I am just about to open up my comp and install my new video card.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I will be honest as well, I am playing SWTOR as of a  few days ago, and I find myself wanting to log in and play some more.  I was highly skeptical of the game after playing in the beta.  However in the beta, I knew I only had a couple days to play, so I just rushed through everything.  Now I am taking a slower approach, letting my story play out, much more enjoyable.  I am kind of approaching it as KOTOR 3 that has some people running around in it.  I don't have any real life friends that are playing it, so I am solo atm.  Not sure how long I will play it, at least until GW2 comes out, as I will be trying that as well.