Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Razer Gaming Mouse Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Nothing says success like hardware branded around a popular MMO. In today's hardware review, we take a look at the Star Wars: The Old Republic gaming mouse made by Razer. See if it measures up and is useful for SWTOR players. Tried it yourself? Let us know what YOU think!

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Gaming Mouse from Razer has made me eat crow. I’ll admit it… game branded hardware seems like a money grab most of the time. I mean, why should anyone buy a controller branded with Halo 3 on it other than to say, “Gee, I sure to like me some Halo 3!”? There’s rarely ever a good reason to own a peripheral that’s smacked upside the whatever with a bunch of funky decals unless you’re really just that much of a fan. Still, I suppose these sorts of oddities must serve their purpose. They’re rarely more useful than your standard hardware, but they’re for the fans. So exist they shall. But this mouse? This mouse is actually making me very pleased with its ability to help me wield the Force. Its combination of spiffy design and functionality make it a worthy addition to any MMO gamer’s desktop.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Razer Gaming Mouse Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Captain Kirk - "Set Razers to Stun."

• SomartSomart Member UncommonPosts: 61

is this not just a naga with a star wars skin? still i use a naga, they are brilliant!

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Razer Naga has been the best mouse I've ever used not just for MMOGs but for everyday work also, if you get used to the thumb buttons its incredible flexible.

This modell is just based on the Naga Epic and both are overpriced ($120). People also have to keep in mind that you will all sorts of scratches, dust and what not way easier on a grey than black mouse.

Somart yes, it is its the NE just with a SW skin.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

"it’s not like you’re going to play SWTOR or any other MMO on the back of your cat (unless that’s what you’re into)."

Oddly enough, this is why I use a trackball with my laptop. I have sat on the couch and used my Pit Bull as an arm rest / mousing area while playing games.

edit: By the way, what color crystal does it come with?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

"it’s not like you’re going to play SWTOR or any other MMO on the back of your cat (unless that’s what you’re into)."

Oddly enough, this is why I use a trackball with my laptop. I have sat on the couch and used my Pit Bull as an arm rest / mousing area while playing games.

Green, a la Razer's logo.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Sorry Bill, but that is not really a review.  That is "this is what this mouse has" as found on this page http://www.razerzone.com/swtor/mouse

I did expect more from the review.

I have this mouse, and have been using it since around the 19th of this month. 

It is pretty buggy on my side when I use the wireless function.  Wired it works like a dream.

Everything on this mouse is magnetized.  Everything from the battery port, to the removable emblem and especially the docking station.  Cool beans on this.

The only way to get the drivers is off of Synapse, but Synapse will not see the mouse unless it is plugged in directly.  It is buggy in its use if you go wireless and then change options.

The mouse DPI gets floored when you go wireless mode and adjust Synapse or open an application, like TOR. 

Razer needs to get this fixed. 

You also get the code for the saber crystals using synapse.  ALL of this info would have saved me about 30 minutes of hunting and searching the manuals, online and other posts and reviews on this mouse.  Do NOT install naga software, it is NOT compatible.  Yes, I did, because someone said it would work, love the internet.

A review, I would give this mouse a 4 out of 5.  It would be a 5 out of 5 if the wireless function worked more reliablely

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Green, a la Razer's logo.  :)

The crystal is exactly like the pre-order crystal with the style.  It is black in the middle with a green outline instead of yellow.   Far superior to the pre-order crystal in its appearance.  It also gives +4 Enderance (same as preorder) but you can use it at level 5 instead of level 7.  Not that it makes a huge difference.

But it looks a lot better than any crystal I have seen out there.  Too bad it does not scale.  After level 30 or so, you gotta change the crystal out for something more effective.

Oh and you get 2 crystals in your email.  So you dual weilding guys out there, have fun.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

I love my naga, one of the best meeses I ever had. I've been planning on getting the SWTOR one as a replacement, also possibly that sweet keyboard they're hawking. this thing would get +10 cool points if you could disassemble it and replace the "color crystal" with your choice of color.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• findaratofindarato Member Posts: 74

Any one have a picture of the color stone? I was just wondering if it was green / black or just green.

Does the stone not have a no dark side tag? That would be kinda cool.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

I really thought about this until I checked the price on Amazon. Are us Brits screwed, or what? £127.75...that's $199. Even the basic Naga is £100.

I suppose you get what you pay for, but still that's hefty.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Pfft, nothing new here.  It's just the WoW mouse with a Star Wars skin.  I heard the GW2 mouse is revolutionary and will actually move the mouse-genre forward.  Apparently when you use it, you will never move your character in the same direction twice because it's dynamic.  Talk about innovative. 

Originally posted by findarato

Any one have a picture of the color stone? I was just wondering if it was green / black or just green.

Does the stone not have a no dark side tag? That would be kinda cool.

I mentioned like 2 posts above.. It has a black core and outline of green.  No picture, that is just how it is.

It is not Light / Dark dependant.  So you can be an evil sith and still use it.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

I have the original Razer Naga that this seems to be based on. It's an awesome mouse and a godsend for MMO gaming. I have paired it with a Zboard Fang gamepad and when set up right, you can have an absurd number of key/button combinations without ever taking your hand off the WASD keys on the gamepad (I use the three large thumb buttons as ALT, SHIFT, CTRL to access extra hotbar abilities with the Naga).

For general usage though, I prefer my Logitech G9 mouse. It's just all-around zippier, more ergonomic and I love the free spinning scroll wheel for flying through walls of text with no effort. It's the only downside to the Naga IMHO and I'm concerned that the SWTOR edition might be even worse in that regard when you consider the sharp lines of the design and the fact that wireless tend to make the mouse heavier.

So to be honest, unless you absolutely must have it for the cool looks and all that, consider just getting the regular Razer Naga instead. Although not a cheap mouse by any means, it's a more reasonable price and well worth it if you spend a lot of hours playing MMOs.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

When I still played FPS games like crazy, a precise mouse was very important for me. But for a tabbased MMO this is just silly imo. Even for players that dont use keyboard shortcuts and click everything, any mouse that lies well in your hand will do.

Sure it is a nice gadget to have regardless, but doesnt really add anything for this type of game imo. It is just SW merchandise in relation to this game.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Somart

is this not just a naga with a star wars skin? still i use a naga, they are brilliant!

Not quite but close. The regular Naga has two buttons to the left of index finger. This version has placed those buttons behind the mouse wheel.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by Somart

Not quite but close. The regular Naga has two buttons to the left of index finger. This version has placed those buttons behind the mouse wheel.

The Naga Epic has the buttons in the same place.  This is just a Naga Epic with a SW skin.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

This is just like the Naga Epic.  I got the epic for Christmas and I love it!  It took a little bit to get used to the buttons on the side but after you do it really changes your gameplay.  I only use the keyboard to move and chat now.

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    I've been thinking of picking this up. I use the Nostromo also. Anyone use both? Are there a lot of redundancies with the key binds between the two?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

So if a $20 mouse works exactly the way it's supposed to, and a $140 mouse doesn't, apparently that now means that the $140 mouse is pretty good?  I really don't get why people would spend that kind of money on a mouse.  You could get a good SSD for that price.

• grayknyghtgrayknyght Member UncommonPosts: 25

Originally posted by Zaush

I've been thinking of picking this up. I use the Nostromo also. Anyone use both? Are there a lot of redundancies with the key binds between the two?

I currently use both. I use the Nostromo for movement and some menu shortcuts. I also have CTRL and ALT on the Nostromo. I use the Naga for all abilities, and map additional hotbars to be "CTRL + Number" and "ALT + Number". Great pair to use. Normally, I only have to use my main keyboard for chat.

• DoozerglueDoozerglue Member UncommonPosts: 40

I saw the beauty of the Naga from the very beginning and have had one since the first day they went on sale. This mouse is a bit different since I don't see the two buttons that sit by the index finger.  It looks like they are now behind the scroll wheel.  I bought the Naga to play Aion with, but have used it for every mmo I've played or tried.  I do use it in conjunction with the Nostromo (N52).  I move with both the d-pad and the mouse.

I only wish the Star Wars UI would allow for more customization. I play a heal spec'd Sith Sorcerer and at level 34, I've run out of room  on my bars (the four visible bars) for my spells.... but oh well.  I know you can switch out bars with a key press but that never works for me. I like my spells visible.  I'll just have to adapt or deal with it.  

The only complaint I've ever had with the Naga was that it was corded, and they've rectified that.  When I wear out the original corded Naga, I'll be going cordless Naga. 

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

I bought the Razor Naga special edition earlier this year for mmos. I will never go back to a normal mouse. I get faster response time since the hotkeys are at my thumb and I can use the software it comes with to make macros if I wish.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

here goes a question... who has a naga for more than a year ? 

mine lasted 9 months, not even funny for the price i've paid.

• Originally posted by kuhronusu

here goes a question... who has a naga for more than a year ? 

mine lasted 9 months, not even funny for the price i've paid.

have had mine for almost 2 years i think now and still no issues with it. greatest thing since sliced bread imo. at like 60 bucks on amazon with shipping for the regular naga it's a hell of a deal. just wait for the sales.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I was already interested in getting a razer mouse.  But is there any advantage of teh razer naga and the much more expensive razer naga epic?