Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Definition of "Polished"

to me polished isnt just bug free. It is an immersive, living, breathing world. How can this game be constantly heralded as "Polished" when it doesnt have the basic stuff, like rain and other weather patterns, or even the basic of all -- A night/day cycle. I am sorry but polished would have to include these as well. EQ in 1999 had all this -- now in 2011, we get games that dont even have the level of immersion as an MMO that came out in.... 1999 ? really ??? and people want to call it "polished?"

sorry, not in my book.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Tyvolus

to me polished isnt just bug free. It is an immersive, living, breathing world. How can this game be constantly heralded as "Polished" when it doesnt have the basic stuff, like rain

It's getting harder and harder to tell who's joking and who's serious when it comes to the SWTOR bashing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Polished in my opinion is an entertaining and mostly bug free game.

Weather is fluff not polish

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by obii

the little things like weather effects, night/day cycles, etc are what help create a living/breathing world. otherwise, you have a static, sterile, soulless world that some of todays MMOs are pushing out the door...including swtor. Although you dont care for these basic elements that add a polished look and feel to a game, many do. One of the coolest parts of Skyrim are the intense weather patterns throughout the game, especially the harsh and unforgiving mountain ranges. It adds a polished very real feel to a game. shows the devs care about their craft.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

They might still implement weather. Remember it took WOW a few years to add weather too and we played it nevertheless.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

pol·ished

adjective

made smooth and glossy: a figurine of polished mahogany.

naturally smooth and glossy: polished pebbles on the beach.

refined, cultured, or elegant: a polished manner.

flawless; skillful; excellent: a polished conversationalist.

com·plete

adjective

having all parts or elements; lacking nothing; whole; entire; full: a complete set of Mark Twain's writings.

finished; ended; concluded: a complete orbit.

having all the required or customary characteristics, skills, or the like; consummate; perfect in kind or quality: a complete scholar.

thorough; entire; total; undivided, uncompromised, or unmodified: a complete victory; a complete mess.

People get the two words mixed up.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

the little things like weather effects, night/day cycles, etc are what help create a living/breathing world. otherwise, you have a static, sterile, soulless world that some of todays MMOs are pushing out the door...including swtor. Although you dont care for these basic elements that add a polished look and feel to a game, many do. One of the coolest parts of Skyrim are the intense weather patterns throughout the game, especially the harsh and unforgiving mountain ranges. It adds a polished very real feel to a game. shows the devs care about their craft.

{mod edit}

Skyrim is a bug infested pos game utterly unoptimized for ANY platform. The interface is an abortion of the nth degree even for the shitbox 360 controller much less the PC. How bout that always set to 360 controller default for the PC????. Texture bugs, your npc bugs, dragons bugged out main quest line fukd up, absolute JOKE inventory management system.... on and on..

Skyrim is FUN but its far from polished. After about a fucking year or two of modding will skyrim be "polished"

You dont like star wars becuase you dont like star wars fine. But to compare it to Skyrim in the "polish" department  {mod edit}

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

That was a minor gripe with me how ever my one of my biggest gripes was the NPCS, those guys look ready to stuff, but never did it or hell the leader of the groups of people kept walking back and forth saying nothing, it was weird as hell. Then killing 2 of the renegade soldiers, the Renegade leader standing the middle, killed me, and then went back to talking(wasn't really saying aything) to himself :/.

I don't know if it's intended to have stale azz npcs but I guess that is well polished.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

SWTOR is less polished than an Elder Scrolls game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Relative to other MMORPGs (its peers), SWTOR is fairly polished for a newly released game.

It is lacking a lot of features that people expect though.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

you need to spend mroe time in game because EXCUSE ME but it RAINS!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Creslin321

Relative to other MMORPGs (its peers), SWTOR is fairly polished for a newly released game.

It is lacking a lot of features that people expect though.

Basically this. TOR released with the same auction house as Aion released with back in 09' that made you want to kill a furry rabbit. Some of the stuff proves the devs have been a bubble for the past 4 years as the mmo genre changed around them. They have come out of the bubble and can not figure out why people are pissed.

These guys are talking about a legacy system when everyone is asking about dual spec, ability delays, or character customization. I seriously doubt they expect people to see a Full server and roll there, so they never considered transfers being needed or hell making them free.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Polish isn't about the feature set.  It's about doing well what the game set out to do.  If what the game set out to do is really boring, then the game can be highly polished and still terrible.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

All "fluff" is a form of polish. Polishing is about fixing/smoothening out the small details in bigger systems.  Bug fixes are therefore often a form of polish, since although the large systems are set, they may still have a number of small bugs which need to be smoothened out. 

Adding "fluff" is a way to smooth out a larger system as well and thus falls under the category of polish.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Ever traveled to Dromund Kaas?

Bring a rain coat.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

one thing it has is pvp zone (lot of them)i remember we had those in wow before they got thorn down!i am happy there are pvp zone now only thing missing is that each of those zone can be owned and once a month or so they can change hand !

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Lot's of people have heralded SWTOR as a very polished product, in some ways it is, but in other ways it is buggy as crap.  A lot of the main game systems are polished. They work as intended. Game is very playable.  

The launch was relatively smooth, despite the occasional forum freak out over queues, a maintenance that went over schedule by 2 hours, credit cards, and staggered Early Access.

However, there are an absolute crapton of bugs in this game. Some of them are very minor, some of them are very major. I think it would be hard to call this game "very polished" right now.  

I love the game, don't get me wrong, but there are some really freaking annoying bugs out there. The interface bugs are the worst. Sometimes in Huttball my raid frames don't accurately report anyone else's health. The health bar shows full, but they are actually half dead. I'm a freaking healer and THIS DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY INSANE. 

Anyways, for me, a polished game has to be relatively bug free.  Bugs, this game has lots of them.  Lots.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by DarkPony

Bring a rain coat.

bet this is one of those guys who just watched some previews (doesnt have game). And is fan boy of another game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Polished means that it is well coded.

The life like world thing is also important but not the same thing as polished.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by leumasx7

Originally posted by DarkPony

Bring a rain coat.

bet this is one of those guys who just watched some previews (doesnt have game). And is fan boy of another game.

darkpony has beeen playing swtor for a while. sooner or later you'll have to face the facts.

Wasn't talking about darkpony (maybe quoting him was little mind confusing).

Commenting @ dark pony :About @Thread OP.

Comment was towards OP, agreeing with dark pony using the knowledge. And yes kass does get a lil stormy.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Being 'polished' has nothing to do with how many features a game has, or whether or not it feels 'feature complete'. All it is, is that the features that do exist in the game are tweaked to be as smooth as possible. Most of this has to do w/ coding, but some of it has to do w/ the art / textures and animations as well. (or the case of this game, voice overs).

Unfortunately, like every other important aspect of the MMO, it has been turned into both a Buzz Word and  Stigma. Because it's being missused for both positive and negative reinforcement, I think you'll find an increasing number of people within the MMO community which fail to understand the proper meaning of this word as well. (Just add it to list with terms like graphics, beta, etc.)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by aesperus

Being 'polished' has nothing to do with how many features a game has, or whether or not it feels 'feature complete'. All it is, is that the features that do exist in the game are tweaked to be as smooth as possible. Most of this has to do w/ coding, but some of it has to do w/ the art / textures and animations as well. (or the case of this game, voice overs).

Exactly. For example, the list of things to 'polish' during the last few weeks before release can include

• class tweaks

• combat tweaks

• animation tweaking

• bug fixing - lots of it

• verifying quest locations, data, triggers are all in place

• updating textual and visual indicators for clarity and correctness

• moving content to make it more intuitive, accessible or challenging

• rearranging the many world objects to create a more even flow

• integrating user feedback

While rain can be nice (I found it rather well done in both LOTRO and AC), it just seems a real reach to use it as an example of 'the basic stuff' needed for an MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

to me polished isnt just bug free. It is an immersive, living, breathing world. How can this game be constantly heralded as "Polished" when it doesnt have the basic stuff, like rain and other weather patterns, or even the basic of all -- A night/day cycle. I am sorry but polished would have to include these as well. EQ in 1999 had all this -- now in 2011, we get games that dont even have the level of immersion as an MMO that came out in.... 1999 ? really ??? and people want to call it "polished?"

sorry, not in my book.

Dude you don't even have to go as far as to hit up weather or a day / night cycle - just look at the damn npc's in cities, they are all mimes!  Can't even click on them, and they just sit there doing their mime routine forever.  Then there are the world creatures (which basically don't exist) and the mobs, who 95% just sit there in their little tri or duo and wait for the slaughter.  Seeing a patrol is like a blue moon half the time.   The most lifeless world I've ever seen in a AAA mmo.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

They might still implement weather. Remember it took WOW a few years to add weather too and we played it nevertheless.

and even that weather was implemented poorly...to say it VERY nicely.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"